Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Hires
2006-07-25 09:02
ptoing

Hires

Some time ago I started dabbling in standard Hires mode and i find it quite enjoyable. Also people seem to like the stuff i put up on CSDB in hires mode.

This makes me wonder why not more graphicians try to use it. Imo it is pretty easy to get a hang of and quite enjoyable.

Opinions?

... 126 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-08-07 17:26
Sander

@Jetboy: Ok.. Realise that particular guy would not get a 'big name' because of this painting. And like the 2nd picture shows, it's sometimes context sensitive. (it's painted on the Israeli apartheid wall.) Or like Dutch Breeze would look poor compared to Krestology.

And i'm not saying my perception on this all overrules any of yours; it's great to like stuff.
2006-08-07 18:46
Hein

"That being said, would you say Hein, that your no copy work is on the same level, and is equally enjoyed by the people that follow your artwork, as your copy stuff?"

I do not think it's enjoyed by people more, rather less (the average scener, that is). Personally I like the 5 minute doodles I've done more than the fantasy 'art' stuff I've done on both C64 & Amiga. I think those doodles are on a higher level (technically they're totally rubbish) than any other thing I've done. Guess my c-64/Amiga gfx are a legacy that've become a burdon in a way. Awell, we all gotta start somewhere.

I suppose you're refering to technical/graphical skills used in homemade drawings, compared to copying Boris. To be honest, I do not have such smooth technique, my hand is a restless piece of machinary, it ofcourse can't be compared to Boris's steady violin hand, controlled by his enlightened triceps.
2006-08-07 18:47
Deev

I can't remember how all this started and I may be missing the point, but to those who would still prefer to just do straight copies, I'd recommend trying to do something else if not simply because it's more fun!

I don't think most of my work from the past few years looks as technically impressive as when I just copied everything, but I don't really care because I find it much more enjoyable to create my own designs, as well as more rewarding. I do sometimes use sources from 3rd party photographs, but they're chosen with a purpose to help create in pixels a vision in my head.

In viewing other people's graphics I'm also much more interested in seeing interesting ideas than perfect pixelling. Creating something that purely relies on technical skills just doesn't seem like much of a challenge anymore.
2006-08-07 19:05
Bizzmo
Account closed

...bugger. Looks like I might as well give up now! Just when I was getting back into things again! ;-)
2006-08-07 19:15
Dane
Account closed

I was under the impression C64 Graphics was all about combining artistry with craftmanship? Not only should it look good / interesting / stylish / provocative - but it should also be a technical challenge? A demonstration of your skills to impress others?

If it's not then I'm sorry Roland, a lot of work for no good there!
2006-08-07 19:30
Oswald

I think "C64 Graphics >is< all about combining artistry with craftmanship", however this is such a subjective topic that its pointless to argue on this.
2006-08-07 19:37
Helm
Account closed

Is there really such a huge technical challenge in copying something? I agree there is some. But if there was, wouldn't you say the first 10 years of scene history would have exhausted any challenge left in translating a high-res photo/boris boob picture into c64 limitations?

What's even more pertinent to ask: now that Timanthes does the straight conversion, the tech side of things better and faster than most sceners, and with a bit of touch-up after, better than ALL of them, is there any point left in that venue of approach?

I agree trying to be the best and impressing your peers is deeply fundamental in scene artwork. To lose sight of that and just do 'modern arty' pieces that only you yourself realize the significance of would simply not do if that became a widespread practise in scene art. I don't think either the technical side, or the conceptual side of pixel art (or 'pixel graphics' if you will, I don't see the difference.) on the c64 have been exhausted.

The tech can get a liiitle bit better, especially AA technique, which I find even hardcore awesome artists around here sometimes neglect. Mermaid basically highscored dithering pretty early on. There's not much more to it, the palette is fixed, it can do specific tricks. In contrast, the conceptual side of things can be taken an extremely long way yet.
2006-08-07 20:28
Tch
Account closed

Hmm,the reason why I don´t bother wasting time on doing pencil-portraits anymore.
Get a PC and it will make it in 1 minute instead of four days..

"Timanthes replaces the C64-pixeler"
Sure,I use sources to make my pictures.
I am a watcher,not an art-expert or `artist´.
Just being glad that Timanthes doesn´t support (M)UFLI..yet.. ;)

Please take into consideration that most of the people pixelling on the C64 nowadays,don´t have a 20-years experience,myself included.

Conceptually,agreed.
Hope you like my next picture.
It´s BOOBISH!! ;P
2006-08-07 20:36
Helm
Account closed

boobs make me happy
2006-08-07 20:38
Deev

Quote: I think "C64 Graphics >is< all about combining artistry with craftmanship", however this is such a subjective topic that its pointless to argue on this.

I agree with the statement totally.

If you put a great designer in front of a C64 and tell them to create something, they would require the technical skills to make it look good in a low resolution and in 16 colours or the end result will still be poor.

If you put someone who is great technically infront of a C64 and yet they're not using their imagination, you will probably get a girl and a dragon.

The second of these examples has occured regularly on the C64, so a greater balance between artistry and craftmanship creates a much more exciting scene in my opinion.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
iAN CooG/HVSC
Laurent
Andy/AEG
The Syndrom/TIA/Pret..
algorithm