Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > ik+ Graphics.
2007-02-22 15:37
Bones99

ik+ Graphics.

Hi .
I'm working on a remake of IK+ for PC, my plan is to make it network enabled with a lobby system so that it works on a winner-stays-in basis , and challengers can queue to challenge the champion over the internet. The problem I have is that I cant draw :( and even if I could it would be pointless to re-create all the gfx by hand).

I wonder if anyone knows where I could get the graphics from ? I wrote a ripper and found the sprite data using a ccs64 freeze file, but I cant seem to understand that pattern in which the graphics are loaded.

Any version(c64,amiga,ST etc) of the gfx is welcome.
Can anyone help ?

... 14 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-02-22 16:18
Bones99

Quote: Quote:
I'm not planning on selling it .
I will credit System 3 and acknowledge their copyright.

If things were so easy. This ain't gonna work, dude.
If it looks like IK+, sounds like IK+ or even smells like IK+ legally it *IS* IK+.

Recent example is Geometry Wars. This game is played on XBox360 Live and some fans of the game made a freeware PC version.
Microsoft showed their muscles and the game was removed from the net.

I don't want to play a party-pooper (heck! i would like to play it on my pc) but see it as some facts you shouldn't ignore.

Well .. thanks for the heads up ..
I wouldn't expect a company like system 3 to be as pathetic as microsoft-in-the-head but maybe it would be worth dropping a few mails to see what the situation is .. never know till you try eh ?.

Besides , there seem to be several other remakes out there and the remakers dont seem to have had the pants sued off them .. we'll have to see.
2007-02-22 16:43
Bones99

I see System 3 (or studio 3) is very much alive and active on various formats .. They're even publishing IK+ for other platforms .. They probrably wouldn't take too kindly to my re-make .. especially if it was any good ..
Ah well .. there goes another bright idea down the tubes.
2007-02-22 16:53
cadaver

Yep, especially with the netplay it could be seen quite like "competition" against their official products.
2007-02-22 16:59
Oswald

netplay it using vice and take a dump on copyrights :)
2007-02-22 17:03
j0x

Somebody should remind Microsoft of Tempest, Asteroids and Robotron: 2084.

And remind System 3 of Karate Champ.

I sincerely doubt you'll have any trouble if you release a freeware game along the IK+ concept. Of course, stealing the graphics is another matter :)

OTOH, if you have a working game with stolen graphics, it shouldn't be a problem to recruit a skilled artist to redo the graphics to avoid accusations of software theft. Infringing on System 3's IP may be another matter, but I doubt it'll stand up in court.

If you charge money for the game in any way, then it's a completely different ballgame.
2007-02-22 19:11
Hein

You should have a chat with Mark Cale first, I think he will convince you to officially port it to PC and not pay you a penny for your efforts.
2007-02-22 19:16
Scout

Quote: You should have a chat with Mark Cale first, I think he will convince you to officially port it to PC and not pay you a penny for your efforts.

I had to read this twice to get the sarcasm ;-)
2007-02-23 09:47
Bones99

I was thinking last night, If I'm going to have problems with copyrights, maybe I should take the same idea and apply it to barbarian(another game I used to enjoy playing with friends) instead. An online 3 or 4 player version of barbarian could be great fun.
I remember the hours I spent watching someone else play while I waited for them to pass me the joystick so I could have my turn .. fond memories .

Anyone know who holds the rights to barbarian ?
2007-02-23 11:55
Scout

Quote:
Anyone know who holds the rights to barbarian ?

EA? ;-)

Afaik, it was released by Palace Software back then which is now belly up.
Dunno who's got the rights now...
2007-02-23 12:25
T.M.R
Account closed

Just a little thunk; Archer McLean wrote IK+ and he is more than a little territorial about his rights (quite rightly so considering some of the sharks he's dealt with). McLean was brought in to recode International Karate from scratch, but IK+ was, i think, his baby from inception so it might be that he owns at least some of them... anyone got an ori of the PS1 version to see whose companies are listed as rights holders on the box?

As for certain companies and a lack of payment... we never did get the cash for Turbocharge!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Apollyon/ALD
Airwolf/F4CG
rexbeng
ΛΛdZ
radius75
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..