Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Best program to draw C64 graphics with on a PC and on a MAC?
2009-11-25 21:53
Morpheus

Best program to draw C64 graphics with on a PC and on a MAC?

One of the very best artists from days gone by wants to dabble with C64 pixels again, so I'm asking on his behalf.

Cheers, Morph

... 43 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-11-27 21:47
Carrion

Arch. You can't do XYZFlI in Koala AFAIK. ;)
ANyway I do use Timanthes becasue of :

- brush size as big as i wish
- patterns (dither) for brush. fill
- color replacing - if i realize that brown background is lame i "R" it with blue and if that desn't work i select all this (with select tool) and do lines PAL mode dither with brown and blue with no problem.
- i like the select tools
- i like circle, line, spline tools
- layers - and it's not only good for sprites on hires/mc modes - it's great for experimenting, prototyping, sketchin - i can change background for example every time i want with no changing the main layer (f.e. girl face ;)
- it saves fligraph format, ifli, mc, hires, and it can save runnable as well which is great for compos ;)
- i can have each layer in different c64 mode - which is great but i didn't used it yet ;) - but i will!
- most of the shortcuts are the same as for photoshop or gimp (more or less)
- multi level undo
- preview "semi" PAL mode
- gradient tool (it has to have other than pattern dither modes anyway)
- it even has filters ;)
- and finaly it allows me to do tricks like - shading, transparency - but this particular things need some sxperimenting

there's one thing i dislike abount timanthes
- it fucking doesn't run on mac - vmware to the rescue...
2009-11-27 23:55
jailbird

Curses. Am I the only one who has a serious stability problem with Timanthes? I can't even test it properly, as it hangs up itself on both of my home computers in the weirdest possible moments (but almost always on saves, which is sometimes even topped with totally messing up the last save state).
2009-11-28 11:07
Carrion

Jail-B.
there are some rules you have to follow when exporting and flattening images.
- first one needed some experiments how to setup layers to properly export images
- second thing doesn't work at all :)

but i never had problem with saving in any of the supported formats. It works fine on XP on my thinpad as well as on VMWare on macbook pro. My first guess would be .net version problems ... but I'm not an expert on that matter thou.

2009-11-28 11:56
jailbird

I'm using Paint.NET v3.5.1 as an alternative to PS and it works just fine (although I am not sure on which version Timanthes was based on). So it's probably not the .NET framework causing the mess.
But it crashes not just on saves, sometimes putting down a pixel or selecting a tool makes it go nuts.
What I'm guessing is, that it might have some issues with Celerons (both of my home boxes have quite dated CPUs)? Will have to try it on a modern machine and see what's the deal.
2009-11-29 22:29
Mirage

I've never had any problems like you're describing.
Must be multi-thread related... Do you have any crash logs?
2009-11-30 09:48
MagerValp

I also couldn't use Timanthes, it seemed to crash every time I sneezed. Or tried to save. A bunch of crash logs were sent to Microsoft, but I don't know how you go about retrieving them.

It seemed to be particularly sensitive to layer configurations, and IIRC the default setup when you launch the program is enough to make it crash on save.
2009-11-30 10:57
Isildur

Same as above. P1 is the best.
2009-11-30 11:09
jailbird

Quoting Mirage
I've never had any problems like you're describing.
Must be multi-thread related... Do you have any crash logs?

Haven't touched it since its last crash, but I could take another look, invoke a few new crashes and send you the logs...
2009-11-30 14:03
SIDWAVE
Account closed

I never managed to save a koala pic in Timanthes, not a single time. It just crashes.

I got help from Mirage 4-6 times, and its something with the format or size of the pic i want to save.

Well, DOH - if i want to make koala, then let me do koala and save with no probs! :D

So i gave up. P1 seems to work.
2009-11-30 19:12
Mirage

No offence, Jan, but the first time you tried saving a picture as koala in timanthes the resolution was 331x189 or something. The last time you tried to save an IFLI picture as a standard (fligraph) FLI picture.

Both won't work, because of obvious reasons.

I guess my point is: I can put failsaves in for those (and will) but it hasn't been a high priority thing...
Any program can be made to crash if you do seemingly normal things:

(And no, i have nothing against P1, it is perfect for what it's supposed to do)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
JackAsser/Booze Design
Remdy/Dentifrice
hedning/G★P
digix
iceout/Avatar/HF
Menace/Spaceballs