Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-08-19 10:43
STE'86

lol yes i remember all that well, in the days before decently priced phillips monitors :)

thats why most of us used to avoid the use of white on our greyscale stuff.

one small area of white and all the greys would visibly drop back in brightness by about 50%, and the white would leap out.

we used to call it "blowing the screen"

and i remember tvs that used to buzz like an angry bee if u flood filled white on a black background :)

ah the good old days :)

Steve
2010-08-19 10:47
chatGPZ

Quote:
Meh. Since there is no color without luma (just black) i strongly object to this definition! 8)

doh. ofcourse. now we are at the point where terms used by "normal people" and "technical people" clash - and which is one of the primary reasons for this type of discussion often going in circles =)

i am, when speaking about analog video, using the technical terms that apply to just that. and in analog video - by definition - the terms refer to what i said.

the actual *percieved* color ofcourse consists of both. and at the same time "red" and "light red" are - in terms of analog video - the same color, with different luma :)

Quote:
Oddly enough this was never reproducible on the PC. One reason perhaps was that the higher bits required for generating the graphics but there are probably other reasons concerned with hardware, etc. We never figured it out, and then all of a sudden there was Pepto.

one important aspect that is often forgotten is also, that PAL and VGA (or better: YUV and RGB) work in very different color spaces, and because of that it isnt even possible to convert every color properly from one to the other. like the much higher white level in PAL cant be reproduced by VGA at all (and on the other hand, PAL can not produce true 0;0;0 black). thats another reason why to some peptos example palette looks a bit "dull".

2010-08-19 11:19
JCB
Account closed

@Ed, you've watched too much Blade Runner ;)

2010-08-19 11:25
chatGPZ

Quote:
and i remember tvs that used to buzz like an angry bee if u flood filled white on a black background :)

thats one of the things at the top of my "to be emulated" list infact :)
2010-08-19 12:03
null
Account closed

Quote: Quote:

thats one of the things at the top of my "to be emulated" list infact :)

That would rule so much. Along with diskdrive sound emulation and beamer emulation ;_)

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2010-08-19 12:59
Ed

Quote: Quote:
Meh. Since there is no color without luma (just black) i strongly object to this definition! 8)

doh. ofcourse. now we are at the point where terms used by "normal people" and "technical people" clash - and which is one of the primary reasons for this type of discussion often going in circles =)

i am, when speaking about analog video, using the technical terms that apply to just that. and in analog video - by definition - the terms refer to what i said.

the actual *percieved* color ofcourse consists of both. and at the same time "red" and "light red" are - in terms of analog video - the same color, with different luma :)

Quote:
Oddly enough this was never reproducible on the PC. One reason perhaps was that the higher bits required for generating the graphics but there are probably other reasons concerned with hardware, etc. We never figured it out, and then all of a sudden there was Pepto.

one important aspect that is often forgotten is also, that PAL and VGA (or better: YUV and RGB) work in very different color spaces, and because of that it isnt even possible to convert every color properly from one to the other. like the much higher white level in PAL cant be reproduced by VGA at all (and on the other hand, PAL can not produce true 0;0;0 black). thats another reason why to some peptos example palette looks a bit "dull".

I remember the bug and kind of miss it in emulator land.
Some images have been drawn, just like you say, with that specific bug in mind.

Never really got to understand how Dragon could draw his women using orange with a clear white background
when it would look like nothing more but a black figure on the big screen.

Nothing wrong about Orange figures though. Seen them plenty before and some after.
2010-08-19 20:06
PAL

I think Dragon did that because he had done it so many times before, and it worked... I must say that when his images were shown at parties and so on back in the days I never saw it as black... they where like they are in here...
2010-08-20 18:01
Ed

Yeah, you are prolly right. They looked all right on most equipment. On old tellys etc, it looked like crap of course. Just like some screendumps do around here....

By the way. Did people ever follow the ancient CBM advice on colors when making art? Sometimes I wonder why some of the older artists worked with simpler schemes of blue/light blue,white or red, light red, white, etc? Whereas something happens in the late 1980s and early 1990s resulting in combinations of 0,9,6,b,2,4,8,c,e,a,5,f,3,7,d,1
2010-08-20 18:25
chatGPZ

simple.... old lumas, new lumas =)
2010-08-21 07:15
TDJ

old lumas players to new lumas fools
csdb keep it jumpin like kangaroos
but skew it on the bar-b we aint tryin to lose
say i'll be god damnit they done changed the rules
Previous - 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
cba
Erol
Didi/Laxity
hedning/G★P
Mixer
pcollins/Quantum