Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > a plea from an old schooler
2010-07-17 16:03
STE'86

a plea from an old schooler

please dont use modified PAL emulating screenshots for pictures on this site.

people may want to use this site to download unmodified c64 art in gif or png format with pure pixel definition.

if they want to see the stuff in highly debatable pal emulation mode people can download the PRG files and view them in that mode on an emulator.

Thanks
Steve

... 167 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-07-20 08:37
JCB
Account closed

Quote: b) A crystal clear display will never look like a blurry/noisy CRT carrying shitloads of artefacts. So please dont state it looks like as you saw it.

Closer than with all the wrong (to him) colours no matter if they're artefacts or not.
2010-07-20 08:43
JCB
Account closed

Quote: I would make a gallery like this: rip all pictures into standardized binary formats like koala, then you display them as you want.

"That just sounds like a lack of respect for what the artist produced?"

Using your own picture setup on your TV is a disrespect towards filmmakers? Your own equalizer setup on music...?

Do you have the means to get closer to the original than you do? With an image, apart from your monitor setup maybe being wrong, yes you do, you view it as the artist has coloured it. You can at least buy prints of "art". Movies? well some people spend fortunes on home theater kit because that's how the movie was designed, to look as the director intended at the cinema... Ever hear of director's cut dvds? I wonder why people buy those? As for music, no I don't touch any settings, I listen to it presuming the artists care enough to be involved in the mastering process and the CD (or previously vinyl LP) I buy sounds as they intended if listened to "cleanly".

2010-07-20 08:53
Oswald

okay, but from now on, only view my demos with the pepto palette, will you ? As you say I have the right to force this on you, because I am the ARTIST. Dont disrespect how I saw it when I created it. From now on I have the control on how you watch my stuff.
2010-07-20 09:21
JCB
Account closed

Quote: okay, but from now on, only view my demos with the pepto palette, will you ? As you say I have the right to force this on you, because I am the ARTIST. Dont disrespect how I saw it when I created it. From now on I have the control on how you watch my stuff.

I already do :P WITH.. ZOMG!!! PAL emulation!!?!!

As nobody uploads demos and tells us what palette to use, or makes screenshots of each frame of their demo or an AVI with the settings how they want them I defer to the standards which I've seen are pepto and pal emulation. As it's possible for an artist to show a still image and say "this is as close as I can get to how I saw it" that should be allowed. I'd personally be much happier watching an avi of a demo captured from the source machine.

It's different, I think you know it and I get the feeling you're being pedantic.

2010-07-20 09:24
Oswald

I was just exaggerating. My opinion is noone should force anyone to use this or that palette. If XY like palette Z let him use it. It doesnt bother me, but it bothers the hell outta me some1 telling me how should I view stuff.
2010-07-20 09:29
JCB
Account closed

Quote: I was just exaggerating. My opinion is noone should force anyone to use this or that palette. If XY like palette Z let him use it. It doesnt bother me, but it bothers the hell outta me some1 telling me how should I view stuff.

And as you've said, download the koa/prg/d64 but there is no problem with allowing people to say, here's how I think it should look when it's THEIR art, only excuses to not do so. If there's a screenshot/preview, why not let the artist decide?

As for forcing people to use palettes, we've been told all the way through this thread it has to be pepto and been given "reasons" why. Other artists have said they upload their screenshots with pal emulation, I've got zero problem with that either, it's how THEY intended it.

2010-07-20 09:38
STE'86

only too happy to view your demos in a dark dingy palette if that what makes them look better and floats your boat oswald.

Steve
2010-07-20 10:43
chatGPZ

Quote:
If there's a screenshot/preview, why not let the artist decide?

you can decide as you like, right now.

just if the creators of this website decide to change the standards they intend to use on the website they make, then it might eventually change. live with it. if you want to see a website that shows your pictures exactly as you want to show them, once and forever - i am afraid you have to create your own website.
2010-07-20 14:37
JCB
Account closed

Quote: Quote:
If there's a screenshot/preview, why not let the artist decide?

you can decide as you like, right now.

just if the creators of this website decide to change the standards they intend to use on the website they make, then it might eventually change. live with it. if you want to see a website that shows your pictures exactly as you want to show them, once and forever - i am afraid you have to create your own website.

Oh, there's that democracy Oswald mentioned.
2010-07-20 18:20
Moloch

CSDb isn't a democracy ... ;)

---
Crimson Twilight Dev Updates [C64 CRPG]
Previous - 1 | ... | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | ... | 18 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Airwolf/F4CG
Clown
Twoflower/ΤRIΛD
tlr
iceout/Avatar/HF
Chrom_