Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > Double Screen Compo Voting
2011-05-08 15:10
v3to

Double Screen Compo Voting

Okay - all entries are in and it is time for voting.

Take your time and check the pictures properly. If you like to check it on a C64, I'd recommend to turn off the volume, because music tends to alter atmosphere. Now here come the rules:

---
CHOOSE 3 FAVORITES - NO MORE - NO LESS
SEND YOUR CHOICE VIA PM TO ENTHUSI OR ME
OR BY MAIL TO << COMPO[AT SPAMSUCKS]C64PIXELS[DOT]COM >>
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET YOUR HANDLE/GROUP OR NAME
---

Deadline for voting is June 7th 2011 (know it is a long term but c64pixels-visitors are watching random)

Good luck to all contestants !

---
Looking Outward by Celtic, code by Zielok
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Format: MultiColor

---
Monroe 6569 by Diggr
Format: Charmode

---
Asteroidmine by Grass, code by Cruzer

---
The Raven by Dane
Additional content according compo rules: Dark red and dark grey are laced

---
CARGO by Twoflower, code by Cruzer
Additional content according compo rules: Music
Picture format: MultiColor, 4-colors, Colorscheme is matching Charmode

---
A Kind of Magic by Yazoo, code by Axis
Additional content according compo rules: Music, scrolltext (can be disabled by pressing spacebar)
Picture format: MultiColor

... 195 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2011-05-10 12:17
Digger

I agree with Celtic, very nice discussion here :)

I think the next gfx contests will have "original artwork only or dissq" clause. So that was the "last" time ;-)

What I like about us and scene getting older (aka dying) is that we find new ways to break the boundaries of the breadbox machine. Same hardware for nearly 30 years buy hey! And I think that's what made me back (although it's a very time consuming hobby).
2011-05-10 12:24
Mermaid

Celtic, you are looking at this the wrong way when you say you will not take part in compos anymore. Why not make something yourself and enter the compo with that, instead of staying away from compos?

As for this compo, the originals should absolutely have been added here at the same time the entries were added, instead of leaving it to other people to find the original pictures and post them. I'm sorry but the fact is that very few people who check out the entries here are going to notice a tiny little tag that says "OA Ronald McDonald" over at c64pixels.com.

Copies in a competition is lame, it is very lame, it is extremely lame, and touching up a scan is no work at all compared to actually making something from scratch.

I'm sorry but I certainly will not be taking part in this competition next year if it has the same "anything-goes" rules.
2011-05-10 12:35
JCB
Account closed

I've just got to say that I DID check c64pixels for any sign of sources and the only one I saw was a /T tag for Engine House 13 on Celtic's picture (which I had seen somewhere before, the reason for me to go looking). None of the others had noticeable tags at the time, maybe I was just being blind ;)

The fact those sources weren't posted on here, which of course is the site where the discussions/votes on the pictures was going to happen, means a lot of people just presumed all the pictures were original. Then it just looks like people are being "found out" when they've been honest in the first place.

I think running a competition FOR one site and then using another site to discuss entries etc has caused the confusion. C64pixels.com needs a forum ;)

2011-05-10 12:52
booker
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Mace
However, but using C64PIXELS as the compo medium, a lot of people (including myself) didn't notice that the creators mentioned their sources.
So quite a lot of us thought they were cheating...

This is what triggered this whole dicussion, I think.

agree for this competition. but in fact i do not remember a single competition where somebody mentioned the original or references. it is kinda compo culture.

Actually there's a plan for Silesia Party compos to ask authors to provide info about the source (no-copy, convert, haf-convert ect). This is to give the audience a bit of light on what they are voting.

Anyway, for this compo, there was no rule the art has to be original work. So IMHO all the fuss here is just pure drama :D

Also, IMHO it's the author responsibility (if one cares about) to provide the reference picture along with the pic. :P

And yeey, congrats to all sniffers who found originals. Should we vote for you too? :D
2011-05-10 13:06
Mace

Quoting Digger
2. Effort/reward ratio – no way you can hand pixel 2 screen pic in 12-14 hrs, even with limited palette and sophisticated pixelling tools (brushes, dither box, etc) –
The compo ran for 3 months.
What would be an acceptable time span in order to get hand pixeled original works?

Quoting Digger
and it took me similar time to code the editor (http://c64.blog2t.net/slixed). I mean it's A LOT of time in REAL LIFE (yes, we're no longer in our teens).
Why did you write your own editor when there are other options that take less time?
No offence, just asking :-)

Quoting booker
Anyway, for this compo, there was no rule the art has to be original work. So IMHO all the fuss here is just pure drama :D
Good point, yet...

Quoting booker
Also, IMHO it's the author responsibility (if one cares about) to provide the reference picture along with the pic. :P
...there is such a thing as plagiarism.
And the line between that and copying work is very thin in this case.

Quoting booker
And yeey, congrats to all sniffers who found originals. Should we vote for you too? :D
Now you are just being cynical... ;-)
2011-05-10 13:09
hedning

@booker: The fuss is not just drama. I think it is about principles that needs discussion. WHAT are we voting on? Best first impression on a pic, be it a copy or original work? Or are we voting on the best conversion and the skill of finding nice models to scan and convert? Or are we voting on original artwork that has been made by hand, including idea, motif and everything? Or in the worst case: are we voting on favourite sceners? It has been a nice and good discussion above, and I don't think it's very constructive to shout "Drama" every time we discuss something and do not agree. The opposite would scare me. That we do not agree, and have the energy to discuss this topic is a proof that there is still energy and life in the scene, and that we care for it's future.

The whole voting system on csdb are freaky by the way (it does not cound amounts of votes etc. A prod that has 12 votes can outclass a prod that has 70 votes). The voting at parties, and also, per mail to this Double Screen Compo, are better - IF we know what we are voting on, that is. And that was my point. Over and out.
2011-05-10 13:18
chatGPZ

Quote:

with that i can certainly agree =)

digger: i have infact started coding some kind of "genetic" algorithm to convert (right now just koala) gfx, the goal beeing pretty much what you say (produce a picture by "rules of graphics people", eventually leading a not so obviously converted look). so far however, the results are very disappointing =P
2011-05-10 13:40
booker
Account closed

@Mace, @Hedning - I agree with you. This can be simply solved with compo rules (participants suppose to provide reference pictures, if used) and linking those along with publishing the entries. This also solves plagiarism (which we can talk about only if the author claims the originality but really the idea for the picture is not hers/his).

And I said "drama" because some people here are shouting on an unsolved debate, namely "is putting a converted picture/tune cover on a compo lame or not"?

Never did a gfx convert, but for tunes it can take a lot of time. So I'm sure some people spent long hours on doing these converts. And c'mon - most of them are good quality.
2011-05-10 14:19
chatGPZ

btw, on BP (and now revision) the solution is this: "Entries have to be free of third party rights unless you have a legal license to use the given content.". also workstages must be submitted. and yes, we did disqualify pictures for beeing converted in the past.
2011-05-10 14:33
booker
Account closed

Yep, that's also a solution (that is, if you want to disallow converts/covers).

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | ... | 21 | 22 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
serato/Finnish Gold
Acidchild/Padua
Twilight/Excess/Arcade
Krill/Plush
Apollyon/ALD
SplAtterpunk