Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > Software Synths
2014-03-03 15:07
Mixer

Software Synths

There are some music tools and programs made for stock c-64 which produce sound or music, but are not necessarily using sid chip the usual way.

Such as:
SAM,
radwar speech,
the ESS speech,
Galways drums,
AndyM00's pulsetrain stuff,
Soundemons new waveform-stuff,
THCM Mod players,
Some of the Vicious Sid I and II routines,
Mahoneys many achievements,
Algorithms VQ packed players,
Censors various pwm players,
Eebens Pollytracker,
Retroskoi

We can observe that several c-64 musicians and coders have experimented with software based synthesis or sampling/compression over the years.

Most of the listed are rather recent. There must be plenty more weird sound routines done during the last 30 years that are not yet listed.

If you know of some past oddness that should be on the list - published or unpublished, please, paste a link or desrcibe. Would be interesting topic for discussion and perhaps someone gets a new idea.

... 37 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2019-08-15 10:43
Mixer

The test bit chord thing, which Soundemon used in autochord was actually something I came up with, but he made something useful out of it.

Note frequency values or SID FRQ register values are converted to CIA timer periods. 4 timers = 4 notes in chord.

When any timer is 0, the irq is triggered, and one can then toggle the test bit on/off in an interrupt handler. Or one can poll the irq registers in busy loop / unrolled code and toggle test bit on/off accordingly.

This causes a train of waveform resets, which to ear sound like a chord.

Pulse, Triangle and Saw all work, but sound awful initially. Filtering the voice makes the chord sound nicer.

Same effect can be done using just one timer, by simulating the train of reset events, by changing the irq timer period on every irq. Calculating the timer sequence takes some raster lines per frame, but it is proven to work.
2021-10-11 20:04
DeMOSic

Quote: The test bit chord thing, which Soundemon used in autochord was actually something I came up with, but he made something useful out of it.

Note frequency values or SID FRQ register values are converted to CIA timer periods. 4 timers = 4 notes in chord.

When any timer is 0, the irq is triggered, and one can then toggle the test bit on/off in an interrupt handler. Or one can poll the irq registers in busy loop / unrolled code and toggle test bit on/off accordingly.

This causes a train of waveform resets, which to ear sound like a chord.

Pulse, Triangle and Saw all work, but sound awful initially. Filtering the voice makes the chord sound nicer.

Same effect can be done using just one timer, by simulating the train of reset events, by changing the irq timer period on every irq. Calculating the timer sequence takes some raster lines per frame, but it is proven to work.

does anyone have a demo of this in goattracker? im fucking around with test bit in gt and im getting no results
2021-10-11 20:25
Jammer

It requires bigger speeds than Goat Tracker offers to produce any harmonics you need ;)
2021-10-11 20:25
Frantic

@That8BitChiptuneGuy: Goattracker, or any other editor really (as far as I know), will not allow the user to do this. It requires a special music player which is crafted very much with this particular feature in mind. It is not the sort of thing that would be part of a general purpose thing. You could think of it more as a kind of demo effect, but applied to sound rather than graphics.
2021-10-11 20:30
DeMOSic

Quote: @That8BitChiptuneGuy: Goattracker, or any other editor really (as far as I know), will not allow the user to do this. It requires a special music player which is crafted very much with this particular feature in mind. It is not the sort of thing that would be part of a general purpose thing. You could think of it more as a kind of demo effect, but applied to sound rather than graphics.

Alright then! Time to find that music player in one way or whatever ig!
2021-10-11 20:45
acrouzet

I believe the "autochord" player is found in Vicious Sid 2. There aren't any publicly available tools for it, as far as I know.
2021-10-11 20:52
DeMOSic

Quote: I believe the "autochord" player is found in Vicious Sid 2. There aren't any publicly available tools for it, as far as I know.

Thanks! But when i check the downloads and the zip files there are only d64 files?
2021-10-11 21:03
Frantic

Quote: Thanks! But when i check the downloads and the zip files there are only d64 files?

That makes sense? Vicious Sid 2 is a C64 demo, and C64 software runs from d64 files. I don't know what you expected to find, if not d64 files?
2021-10-11 21:08
DeMOSic

Quote: That makes sense? Vicious Sid 2 is a C64 demo, and C64 software runs from d64 files. I don't know what you expected to find, if not d64 files?

Sorry if i pissed you off there but i thought there was code but i am kinda dumb sometimes so shrug
2021-10-11 22:15
Frantic

Nobody is pissed. I just didn't understand how you interpreted the situation, so that is why I asked.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Freeze/Blazon
Guests online: 59
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)