Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > stereo sid standards
2016-08-03 19:00
onebitman

stereo sid standards

recently i listened to a few stereo sid tunes and also started composing a few drafts on my own.

what bothers me a lot - there are no standards how a specific stereo sid tune should be played back. very few composers seem to really fully use the stereo possibilites here (heard an excellent hungarian style tune from hermit) whilst others seem to use it more or less as a 6 channel mono platform.

6 channel mono, meaning to say the arrangement of voices is somewhat off, where drums would appear left and bass on the right, like in early beatles stereo recordings.

as a composer the only universal solution would be to use one voice of each sid for one channel bass+drums and spread out the rest of the instruments in the spectrum, but you lose one voice that way and can use the second voice only for slight variations to have a wider stereo on drums.

meaning to say, wouldnt it make sense if a composer had a specific file ending or tag that clearly indicates if the tune should be played 6 channel mono or 6 channel L/R stereo?

this would maybe help the listeners to hear the tunes the correct way as the composer intented - as far as the composer is aware of the options.
2016-08-03 19:09
chatGPZ

make a decent tune and set the standard i'd say
2016-08-03 20:19
Mixer

Two sids, more sids, dual mono, stereo, mono and stereo and surround, sid types, their address assignments, address mirroring or not, filtertypes, volume, panning, this sid can cook coffee...
2016-08-04 04:44
lft

Only Amiiiiga makes it possible!
2016-08-04 07:45
Jammer

Meat Hook [2sid]
Yet Bigger Beat [2sid]

More or less what you're aiming at. Mind it has serious impositions on structure. Tagging is imho redundant and valid mainly for emulators.
2016-08-04 10:47
onebitman

if amplifiers would have a switch that routes both channels to mono i would not have an issue. most of the time i have to cut a cable and twist L and R together (i could use a mixer but i don't really want to).

but, those tunes that have weird panning, were they composed in mono? or the composer just didnt care about it? are there any slight psychoacoustic effects that really need stereo?

in the end its up to the listener, but i think it would be better defined from the composer, as on some tunes you simply cannot know.

on the other hand one could just assume, everything that is supposed to be a stereo tune and it drives you nuts when listened on headphones is a botch composition.

but on a second thought, maybe it would be a listenable if it was played back in mono.

since possibly only me has that issue, i will do my own thing, like usual, and upload the tunes with a [PANSTEREO] tag.
2016-08-04 11:20
Frantic

I think the reason most people use "stereosid" hardware is to be able to do more different instruments at the same time. They would not primarily aim at putting the "same" sounds in two different voices in order to achieve stereo effects (e.g. panning) since that would "waste" precious voices.

So, what I'm saying is that I think it is fairly logical that most "stereosid" stuff is actually supposed to be listened to in mono, although there are of course a bunch of exceptions.

(Perhaps one shouldn't refer to a 2nd sid in a machine as "stereo sid", but rather "dual sid" or so, since it is not necessarily related to the mono vs stereo distinction at all.)

Try this ;)
http://www.daniellaberge.com/music/octophony/octophony1.htm
2016-08-04 11:47
lft

Quoting onebitman
most of the time i have to cut a cable and twist L and R together

Noooo! Never twist together audio outputs. That could damage your equipment. At the very least, put each output through a resistor first.
2016-08-04 12:12
onebitman

never bothered with resistors...

i guess the issue is the definition "dualsid" which not necessarily implies 6channel mono.

i would go for

[PANSTEREO] / [DUALMONO]
2016-08-04 12:21
chatGPZ

"panstereo" is silly, since stereo implies panning anyway.

and "dual mono" (in terms of SID) is usually referred to when both SIDs play exactly the same (to get a richer sound).
2016-08-04 13:04
onebitman

i guess no composer intends to write tunes that are played back on two sids with same adress, this is more a listener thing, but i see that there are not enough definitions and those that are there are misleading or are used wrong.

implies... people keep calling tunes stereo that are not supposed to be played back in stereo.

maybe i write a test tune first...

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
iceout/Avatar/HF
maak
psych
Mibri/ATL^MSL^PRX
Overdoc
Sentinel/Excess/TREX