Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > DeepSID
2018-05-12 17:49
JCH

DeepSID

I have made my own online SID player. It uses Jürgen Wothke's WebSid emulator and can also play digi tunes. You can browse all of HVSC #68 with it.

Check out my blog post for more information:
http://chordian.net/2018/05/12/deepsid/

Direct link:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/

... 197 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-09-26 19:02
Compyx

Well, yeah, officially. But it doesn't hurt to have a thread about VICE that doesn't start with "VICE sucks because..." :)
2018-09-27 10:18
JCH

Quote: JCH, thanks for updating DeepSID with "This blue bar shows all of the C64 memory from $0000 to $FFFF", this will help me and perhaps other morons :)

^^
2018-09-27 10:54
Raistlin

Just a few random thoughts...

I'd love to see more playlists on DeepSID.. more party results, different people's favourites, etc etc ... HVSC has a LOT of tunes in and, for me, I prefer to just be able to listen to the really good ones...

I'm sure I read that you were doing files for musicians..? It would be great if I could click on a musician's name, have it take me to a page about that person, change the directory on the left to be their HVSC folder, etc... maybe also have the Group name link through to a list of current and former members of the group (sorry, lots of work to do that ;p)

I see there's a number appearing above Disqus, GB64, CSDb etc - but not always .. can these be more permanent? That way you know whether there's something to see in the tab before clicking.

Maybe have playlists of a whole year's worth of tunes, too, so that we can click into that, sort by rating and then play (for example) just the most popular tunes from 2017.

When sorting by Year, I'd personally prefer to have the newer tunes at the top .. if I'm sorting by Year, it's usually because I'm assuming that the musician has gotten better over time - maybe that's wrong to assume?
2018-09-27 11:31
JCH

> I'd love to see more playlists on DeepSID..
> more party results, different people's favourites, etc etc ...
> HVSC has a LOT of tunes in and, for me,
> I prefer to just be able to listen to the really good ones...

Sure, it could use a few more playlist building options.

At the moment, the one good method is to keep adding rating stars to SID tunes. Then you can go to the bottom boxes, choose "Rating" in the drop-down box, and type e.g. "3-" (including the dash) to show a playlist of all the tunes you've rated 3 stars or more. It can work as a nice band aid for the time being.

> I'm sure I read that you were doing files for musicians..? It
> would be great if I could click on a musician's name, have it
> take me to a page about that person, change the directory on
> the left to be their HVSC folder, etc... maybe also have the
> Group name link through to a list of current and former
> members of the group (sorry, lots of work to do that ;p)

Actually the tech for it is already in place. For example, this will show Jammer's folder along with his profile:

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer/

I thought about adding "prominent" composer names in the top of a parent folder page, listing the popular ones.

It might be an idea for the front page too. I was already thinking about showing top 10 tables for most tunes, most games covered, etc.

> I see there's a number appearing above Disqus, GB64, CSDb etc -
> but not always .. can these be more permanent? That way you
> know whether there's something to see in the tab before clicking.

The way it works is it shows a number IF there is content in the tab. So a green count on the GB64 tab only appears if the SID tune was used in game(s) that GameBase64 is aware of. Same with Disqus, it only shows a red count if there are actually comments. I could show a 0 count instead of nothing, but it might feel OCD annoying to some and it's also not the general consensus regarding how such notification numbers are handled on the internet. Both Twitter and Facebook only show a count when there's a reason to do that, for example.

And of course, if you are ON the tab, the count doesn't appear either.

> Maybe have playlists of a whole year's worth of tunes, too, so
> that we can click into that, sort by rating and then play (for
> example) just the most popular tunes from 2017.

Yep, there are many good ideas. =)

Another band aid for the year's worth of tunes is to show a big playlist of all the NEW tunes in the latest version of HVSC. To do this, change the bottom drop-down box to "HVSC" and search for 69. Now you will see a playlist of the 473 new SID tunes that were added to HVSC #69.

I thought about having a "New on CSDb" custom folder where new SID files in CSDb are added ASAP, but the problem there is that some new C64 tunes added to CSDb doesn't even have a proper SID file until someone has bothered to rip it and make it. It was also a problem when I added the custom folder for the $11 competition.

> When sorting by Year, I'd personally prefer to have the newer
> tunes at the top .. if I'm sorting by Year, it's usually because
> I'm assuming that the musician has gotten better over time -
> maybe that's wrong to assume?

Arrgh, I actually had that to begin with! =D Then someone in Facebook argued for having the oldest in top. It suited him better and I soon agreed that it made more sense; A-Z, 1982-2018 and all.

I guess I should have both options in there and call them e.g. "Oldest" and "Newest" instead. Noted in my ToDo.

Thanks for the feedback! =) It's great to hear that people are actually using it and suggesting ideas about how to improve it.
2018-09-27 15:02
JCH

Search for new SID files in HVSC #69:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?type=new&search=69

Search for ratings 3 and more (must be logged in to get results):
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?type=rating&search=3-

Search for all SID tunes released in 2018:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?type=copyright&search=2018

The "Year" sort option has now been replaced with "Oldest" and "Newest" instead.
2018-09-27 20:30
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

JCH, just now I noticed that you have added graphs. There are no legends for the graphs. Are you able to add legends. That will make reading those graphs much easier (no assumptions needed).
2018-09-28 09:06
JCH

Sure, noted on ToDo.

For now, on the first chart, X is years (starting with 1982) and Y is number of SID tunes for each year.
2018-09-28 12:50
Steppe

Really, your player is the shit! Thanks for your effort JCH, great work!
2018-09-28 13:26
TheRyk

WebSID as a default is not be best choice imho when it comes to filters emulation, otherwise quite cool browser player, hats off
2018-09-28 14:21
JCH

Thanks. šŸ™‚
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | ... | 21 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/Gā˜…P
sln.pixelrat
algorithm
Fresh
iceout/Avatar/HF
Guests online: 339