Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > DeepSID
2018-05-12 17:49
JCH

DeepSID

I have made my own online SID player. It uses Jürgen Wothke's WebSid emulator and can also play digi tunes. You can browse all of HVSC #68 with it.

Check out my blog post for more information:
http://chordian.net/2018/05/12/deepsid/

Direct link:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/
2018-05-12 17:57
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Nice and great work!!
https://deepsid.chordian.net/ doesn't seem to show any hvsc files and the emulation software does strange things to Linus' 64 Forever tune. Other than that, great software and this is just a first release! ;)
2018-05-12 18:07
Shine

Fast test and all works fine so far! Thank you JCH!!! :D
2018-05-12 18:11
JCH

Yeah, the emulator is probably not perfect, but Wothke is still developing it so maybe it will improve over time.

HTTPS is not used by my web site yet. (Maybe I really should make the change, though.)
2018-05-12 18:28
Fred

Cool and well done!

Btw you mention on your blog that the WebSid emulator from Wothke is based on ReSID but this is not true. The emulation is based on Tiny SID (TinySID V0.97) and improved and extended by Wothke to support RSID tunes. The "combined waveform", "waveform anti-aliasing" and "filter" implementation is based on the SID emulation from Hermit (cSID).

Info: http://www.wothke.ch/tinyrsid/index.php
2018-05-12 18:31
JCH

Right, thanks for clearing that up (edited the blog post). It was all the "ReSID" mentioning in the source code that threw me off.
2018-05-12 22:10
Mr. Mouse

I love this GUI you built! Now we only need a better emulator though.
2018-05-12 22:36
chatGPZ

someone already compiled VICE into js using emscripten - so it should be doable with reSID too :)
2018-05-13 20:15
JCH

Specific folder and file playsausage is here.

http://deepsid.chordian.net?file=/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer

http://deepsid.chordian.net?file=/MUSICIANS/J/JCH/Michelle.sid
2018-05-13 20:38
Mibri

Thanks for this! Digi sounds coming through very nicely.
2018-05-14 05:39
Grue

Nice and clean interface, too bad you cannot manually choose emulation 6581/8580. Also pal/ntsc should be possible to choose manually so we can hear Skate or Die! like it should ;)

Also filter emulation is currently quite bad, it doesn't sound like sid at all :)

Anyway, good work and lets hope it will get better over time :)
2018-05-14 05:59
JCH

Interesting that a PAL/NTSC toggle is a thing. You're the second person to ask about it.

I'll add that and the SID chip toggle to the ToDo. It will probably require changes to Wothke's code, but I've already gone down that road before.
2018-05-14 07:45
Mr. SID

Using a button with ".." as a metaphor for navigating to the parent folder is surely hard to understand for people younger than us... :)
2018-05-14 08:20
JCH

I was thinking, modern software still use the floppy disk as a save indicator so I can use the ".." dots too. ;)

But true, maybe I should replace it with a back arrow instead.
2018-05-14 12:55
chatGPZ

Quote:
Also filter emulation is currently quite bad, it doesn't sound like sid at all :)

try some tune that uses oscillator-restart digis =)
2018-05-14 15:37
LKP

I have tried it a koppel of days before , and it worked on my ipad. Bud now I hear nothing.. Has it changed (deepsid.chordian.net)?
2018-05-14 17:32
JCH

iPhone/iPad never really worked. Apple is doing their best to prevent auto-playing and have "hacked" their own Safari to get it their way. I had used a counter-hack to circumvent the tapping requirement, but then sound only played for 4-5 seconds before cutting off (maybe with a hanging tone).

But since update 11.3 there has been an outcry from users that say they have similar sound cutting experiences in various apps, so I have decided to wait and see what update 11.4 brings. Until then I removed the hack, which is why it is now silent.

It annoys me too as my mobile devices of choice are iPhone and iPad. ><
2018-05-14 18:21
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

I wouldn't worry too much about mobile. So long as it works on desktop everything is fine for me ;-)
2018-05-14 19:55
JCH

The PAL/NTSC and 6581/8580 flag boxes can now toggle, but maybe Wothke needs to tweak their code a bit. Sometimes switching to PAL plays faster than NTSC!? That doesn't feel quite right.

Also, the SID model switcher is very brutal. It resets a lot of things and older tunes (mainly in DEMOS and GAMES) get so upset about it that they refuse to play any longer. More modern tunes fare better, but you have to wait for new notes to trigger.
2018-05-14 20:00
DKT

This is really great! Friendly and informative GUI. Works fine on my mobile (Android), too. Thanks JCH!
2018-05-15 18:38
ccr

Heh, I see you're using my SIDInfo utility .. the latest version is 0.7.3 nowadays tho. I just don't bother making release entries here on CSDb, because of reasons. But if interested, the latest code is in the Mercurial repo https://tnsp.org/hg/sidinfo/ and packages are available at https://tnsp.org/files/sidinfo-0.7.3.tar.gz and https://tnsp.org/files/sidinfo-0.7.3.zip
2018-05-15 19:14
JCH

Thanks. What's new since 0.6.0?
2018-05-15 20:40
null
Account closed

Just tested it out with L/Linus/Rathouse_Blues.sid... doesn't sound great. Filters sound off and there's clicks in the audio. Guess the emulation still needs a lot of work.
2018-05-15 21:07
Scarzix

Lovely idea, the emulation isnt 100% perfect yet, thats clear. My first SID after 23 years, "Back 2 Basic" sounds a bit empty on the tom tom drums... amongst other differences, but overall... this looks and sounds promising.

And its totally cool to have the HVSC in there by default. Lovely.

Good job JCH
2018-05-15 21:11
Scarzix

Note: if you play a tune and browse the folders and go back to the folder of the tune, it does currently NOT highlight the currently playing tune.

Secondly, a feature of being able to make a "sharable" link directly to the tune would also be handy... "share my tune".. kinda functionality.
2018-05-15 21:23
ccr

Quoting JCH
Thanks. What's new since 0.6.0?

Hmm .. there's HVSC songlengths database support, improved "printf"-style output formatting features, PSID/RSIDv4 format support and ability to convert the SID data fields from the Latin1/ISO-8859-1 character encoding used in PSID files to UTF-8 or whatever locale/encoding one's system uses (this only on *NIX, the Windows-port can't do it due to lack of iconv.)

And possibly things I forget now.
2018-05-16 04:42
Snabel

Quote: Note: if you play a tune and browse the folders and go back to the folder of the tune, it does currently NOT highlight the currently playing tune.

Secondly, a feature of being able to make a "sharable" link directly to the tune would also be handy... "share my tune".. kinda functionality.

I opted for the "Copy link to clipboard" feature also :D Would be so handy for quickly sending a link to buddies. Typing out the link by hand is a bit tedious since links are case sensitive, and possibly contains underscores and what not.
2018-05-16 07:04
JCH

Quote: Note: if you play a tune and browse the folders and go back to the folder of the tune, it does currently NOT highlight the currently playing tune.

Yes, yes, yes, the share link is on my ToDo. =)

True that about the folders. The way I handled those was to regard each folder of SID files as a temporary playlist. You can see that behavior by clicking a SID tune and then try to browse back. The PREV/NEXT buttons are then disabled and if the music times out, it no longer tries to go to the next tune. It was the simplest way to solve the problem at the time, otherwise I would have had to juggle multiple folder arrays and/or pointers. I decided it was not worth the trouble and I also wanted to get on with it.
2018-05-16 08:22
JCH

I have now added Hermit's jsSID emulator as a second option.

To enable, just click the "Hermit" link in the credits box as the page appears.

Or you can just bookmark/click this:
http://deepsid.chordian.net?emulator=jssid

Btw, this 6-voice SID is pure awesomeness:
http://deepsid.chordian.net?file=/MUSICIANS/H/Hermit/E_G_Blues_..
2018-05-17 04:21
Grue

This jssid is much more like it, but still not quite like the real sid...

Anyway its good enough now that it is usable :)
2018-05-19 11:13
JCH

Search has been added, and a new SID emulator toggle button makes it easy to compare them on the spot.
2018-05-19 18:50
Digger

@JCH: Doesn't seem to work on Chrome on Mac, why? I remember jsSID was working fine...
2018-05-19 23:30
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Digger: make sure your google chrome is not waiting for you to finish the upgrade of the browser. Go to help/about google chrome and run the update (if there's an update to be installed). This solved it for me.
2018-05-21 08:04
Golara
Account closed

I really like this website, it's super cool that the next track plays automatically, I just hate this emulator that is being used here. Sounds really bad to me. I've listened to these tunes :

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/D/Daf/Opium_tune_1..
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/D/Daf/Opium_tune_2..
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/D/Daf/Opium_tune_3..

If you ever change the emulation to something better it would be killer ;)

EDIT: I didn't notice the toggle switch at the bottom. jsSID sounds much better :D
2018-06-03 16:52
JCH

All right, you emulator naysayers, I've now added support for SOASC (i.e. real C64 recordings). You can also click the time bar in SOASC mode to seek the position.

SOASC R2 = a 6581 with carebear filter
SOASC R4 = a 6581 held down moaning in the mud
SOASC R5 = a 8580 in all its awesomeness

If a file can't be found on SOASC, the row turns red and skips ahead.
2018-06-03 16:59
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Great addition!!

Will you consider adding some auto-select-correct-sid-model-recording based on the SID model specified in the sidinfo in a future version of deepsid?
2018-06-03 17:47
JCH

Quote: Great addition!!

Will you consider adding some auto-select-correct-sid-model-recording based on the SID model specified in the sidinfo in a future version of deepsid?

Thought about it a few times. I also thought about changing to Hermit's jsSID when a 2SID/3SID tune is clicked, since his emulator is the only SID handler that can play those.

But it's a bit nasty as that would change the SID handler for then on. To some, it would be like an old PC DOS game that suddenly auto-changes from EGA to VGA because it detects that the game needs more colors for one scene than EGA can handle. ;)

At least it's super easy to change the SID handler on the spot. I even made sure it retains the sub tune it's on when doing that.

I'll note it down anyway.
2018-06-03 22:22
JackAsser

Quote: Thought about it a few times. I also thought about changing to Hermit's jsSID when a 2SID/3SID tune is clicked, since his emulator is the only SID handler that can play those.

But it's a bit nasty as that would change the SID handler for then on. To some, it would be like an old PC DOS game that suddenly auto-changes from EGA to VGA because it detects that the game needs more colors for one scene than EGA can handle. ;)

At least it's super easy to change the SID handler on the spot. I even made sure it retains the sub tune it's on when doing that.

I'll note it down anyway.

Just have one preferred (ui selectable) and one active (automatically selected when preferred can’t handle the tune)
2018-06-04 06:12
Grue

Too bad soasc seems to have broken 8580r5, it snaps alot with linuses Cauldron 2 remix :(

ntsc/pal clock problem? recording level?

Anyway, great addition!
2018-06-04 08:33
JCH

Quote: Too bad soasc seems to have broken 8580r5, it snaps alot with linuses Cauldron 2 remix :(

Anyway, great addition!

Thanks. For now, I just stream the files from the mirror site directly. MP3 for HVSC #49 and FLAC for #50 and up. R2 and R5 sounds great to me for all the tunes I've tried.

If anything, there are a rare inconsistencies regarding song lengths. Sometimes SOASC thinks a tune is much shorter than HVSC believes, which is really confusing when trying to seek click a tune past the length of the SOASC file (it then just skips to the next tune).

But I have also seen one other situation where SOASC correctly believed the song was much longer. The length in HVSC cut off way before the song was actually finished. Stupid me didn't note it down at the time. I'll see if I can stumble over it again later.

Waxhead from SOASC wants me to use their dl.php script, but I'm not sure I can make it work with Howler. I have to fiddle some more with it and see what I come up with.
2018-06-04 12:33
Fred

If you stream MP3 files from HVSC #49 then use the Songlengths.txt from HVSC #49 where the SOASC project got the info from. Otherwise you will get differences since the song lengths may be corrected for an HVSC update and also tunes get fixed which may result in a different song length as well.

If you find incorrect song lengths, please inform the HVSC team so we can update it for the next release.
2018-06-04 13:09
JCH

Quote: If you stream MP3 files from HVSC #49 then use the Songlengths.txt from HVSC #49 where the SOASC project got the info from. Otherwise you will get differences since the song lengths may be corrected for an HVSC update and also tunes get fixed which may result in a different song length as well.

If you find incorrect song lengths, please inform the HVSC team so we can update it for the next release.

That's a good point. Didn't think of it that way.

Either way, I have this idea that I might just use the .duration method in Howler for SOASC files. Then the time bar duration will just be whatever length the MP3/FLAC file has, regardless of what the database song lengths are actually set to.
2018-06-04 15:07
chatGPZ

Quote:
Too bad soasc seems to have broken 8580r5, it snaps alot with linuses Cauldron 2 remix :(

or perhaps even 8580 have more variation than some people think? :)
2018-06-04 18:37
Grue

Atleast common digifix resistor fucks up 8580 on modern tunes :)
2018-06-04 18:58
chatGPZ

of course it does... this "digifix" is a stupid idea in the first place =P
2018-06-24 08:56
Oswald

superb work on this one, really love using it, except...

list of found files window is very small, only 4 entries visible at once. could it be on the right side using up all vertical space ?

also when I click between the slider and the arrows to skip a whole page the gui scrolls awkwardly slowly, "nicely" accelerating and deccelerating. could that be turned off? and for all gui elements, all seem to do this which makes all response time very slow.

also higher contrasts between white spaces and the very light grey background would be welcome, and higher contrast overall (or is it just me getting blind..)
2018-06-24 11:19
JCH

Quote: superb work on this one, really love using it, except...

list of found files window is very small, only 4 entries visible at once. could it be on the right side using up all vertical space ?

also when I click between the slider and the arrows to skip a whole page the gui scrolls awkwardly slowly, "nicely" accelerating and deccelerating. could that be turned off? and for all gui elements, all seem to do this which makes all response time very slow.

also higher contrasts between white spaces and the very light grey background would be welcome, and higher contrast overall (or is it just me getting blind..)

Thanks for the input.

Regarding the list of files, it flexes and adapts to the height of the browser window. A taller window, a taller list. =)

The right side space is reserved for e.g. a visualizer and maybe some other stuff I have planned some day.

So, you can see the right side space but only have four entries in the list? What kind of device do you use? Only on a smartphone is it limited to four entries, but then there should be no right space. Both on my iPhone and on my iPad, scrolling is fast both swiping or holding down the arrows.

Btw, if you're on desktop, hit F9 to open the player in a small pop-up window.
2018-06-24 12:42
Oswald

well this is what I get at 1388x768 win10+latestFF, the pop up window is also shown, the whole gui would fit the screen 3 times horizontally, so why not use that space for the list ?

tried now dragging the list, I get as much as >1 second delay while the scrolling accelerates and deccelerates slowly, to reach to the point where I have dragged the slider.

I can make a video of it :)
2018-06-24 13:53
JCH

I see your problem with that resolution.

Try this: Show DeepSID then hit Ctrl+KeyPadMinus a few times. =)
2018-06-24 16:10
Oswald

yeah its called ctrl+mouse scroll wheel in my book, that helps indeed :)
2018-06-24 16:13
JCH

But yeah, it could be improved a lot of smaller screens. It's something I have to look into later.
2018-07-01 18:06
Joe/Modern Arts
Account closed

Those that complained about the emulation quality of WebSid might have another look.. (I did some fixes which hopefully improved things..)
2018-07-11 14:49
JCH

Quote: superb work on this one, really love using it, except...

I've now updated DeepSID so it automatically hides the STIL box if the display is tiny.

Also, you can toggle the STIL box at any time with the 's' hotkey.
2018-07-27 08:00
Oswald

most awesome tool to listen to sids.

btw anyone thought of non sequential emulation? jumping in at the middle of the song? with some pre stored history of cpu ? or atleast rewind using this ? :)
2018-07-27 09:17
JCH

At least with the SOASC handlers you can click to seek anywhere on the time bar since they're just MP3/FLAC files.
2018-07-27 09:21
iAN CooG

Quote: most awesome tool to listen to sids.

btw anyone thought of non sequential emulation? jumping in at the middle of the song? with some pre stored history of cpu ? or atleast rewind using this ? :)

ACID64 does it, by speeding up emulation in silent mode to the point you jump to.
2018-07-27 09:25
JCH

I had thought of doing the same thing, but I fear the JS emulators are not fast enough.
2018-08-08 11:36
Oswald

it would be nice if there would be direct links to the tunes playing, including player type or soasc, so link could be sent and deepsid would play the tune if link used. and / or download link to the soasc files.
2018-08-08 11:39
JCH

Quote: it would be nice if there would be direct links to the tunes playing, including player type or soasc, so link could be sent and deepsid would play the tune if link used. and / or download link to the soasc files.

Actually, there is. Every time you click a SID row, the "permalink" in the top box is updated.

Just right-click it and copy the link.
2018-08-08 13:27
Oswald

ah, nicely hidden. :P why not in the main url box ?
2018-08-08 13:38
JCH

By URL box, you mean the browser with folders and files? I'm a little wary about adding multiple clicks to SID rows. I like to keep clicking a row to opening a folder or playing a tune, and then only clicking stars apart from that. Remember, this also has to work on a mobile device.

Also, I think the "permalink" sits nicely in the top info box. It's where the title and author of the tune is displayed so it makes sense to have it there.
2018-08-08 16:14
Oswald

no, I mean the web browser's box where you type in the url you want to go to. one copyes urls usually from there and not from within the web page.
2018-08-08 19:37
Digger

Like Oswald said, updating browser's address bar (window.location.href) with a deeplink without reloading the page would be superb! You can do it with history.pushState() AFAIR
2018-08-08 21:24
JCH

Yes, I know how it's done. I'll add it to my ToDo.
2018-08-11 16:27
JCH

The address line is now dynamically updated.
2018-08-11 16:32
Oswald

hurray, thank you :)
2018-08-16 19:30
JCH

DeepSID now uses the CSDb web service for a new CSDb tab.
2018-08-16 19:42
Compyx

What is that supposed to do? When I play Chordian I get "QCF Music Ripp 24", while I'm pretty sure Chordian is older and most likely first used in a Bones demo or so.
2018-08-16 19:47
JCH

It shows a list of releases (using the "sid" type) or a page (using the "release" type).

While gathering ID numbers for the database, I had this idea that I would store the "sid" type and ID unless there's a dedicated "C64 Music" page, in which case I would store that instead. Showing music pages works well for newer releases where the composer himself made the entry, added a nice screenshot, there's a lot of user comments and maybe even achievements.

What I didn't quite count on was that older tunes would get links to "C64 Music" pages that are often just odd rips. ><

I'll see if I can do something about that later.
2018-08-16 19:53
Compyx

Sorry about that, I just tested with "Old_Level_2.sid" by Link and that does indeed produce "The Larch III", the first demo I heard that song in.
So I misunderstood the CSDb web service.

Out of curiosity, which demo first used "Chordian", if any. I love that song :)
2018-08-16 20:02
JCH

I didn't make it specifically for any demo, as far as I remember. I just made it and brought it along for a demo party. I believe Link was one of the first guys to hear it there.
2018-08-16 20:19
Compyx

Ah. So typical demo scene stuff then.
2018-08-17 23:40
Carrion

I hope it’s right thread
Jens
Thank you so much of doing this player. I can be on vacation with fanily and still listen to HVSC on my phone while enjoing the beach and sun.
This is what I call perfect C64 vacatons. Regards

Ps.
I even listened go Chordian as a kind of tribute to your great achievements. I like Hawaii the best though ;)
2018-08-18 08:30
JCH

Thanks. It's been fun making it.
2018-08-22 09:49
JCH

I've added URL switches for CSDb entries.

For example, here's a link to show the release page for the 20 Years HVSC music collection.

And while you're there, try clicking the SID file links. 😊
2018-08-24 23:32
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

https://deepsid.chordian.net/ seems te be broken now? Tried chrome, firefox and safari.
2018-08-25 01:05
JCH

Works fine here. Tried Ctrl+F5?
2018-08-25 01:05
JCH

Oh, and it's on HTTP, not HTTPS.
2018-08-25 11:18
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

So it is broken. That's a pity since https is standard for a while already. Especially for website that also offer a login using a username / password. One wouldn't want someone else eavesdropping on you.

Any chance you will make it work with https?
2018-08-25 12:55
JCH

You demand HTTPS for a login that's only about ratings and nothing else?

It's not Fort Knox, you know. =)

But yeah, eventually I'll go HTTPS for my blog and of course that will affect DeepSID as well.

I also thought about merging ratings login with Disqus login at one point, but it's deep down on a huge ToDo.
2018-08-25 17:08
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Not sure if you know this, but your blog is already available on https with a valid certificate for *.chordian.net.
2018-08-28 19:36
JCH

DeepSID now uses HTTPS.
2018-09-21 18:47
Compyx

Would it be possible to add some more SID header info, specifically the load address and binary size of a SID, and perhaps the init/play addresses as well?

I find myself looking for nice (temporary) tunes for demo projects quite a bit that I would like/need to be located at a certain address range. I have a Python script that parses the HVSC and lists tunes by load address, but having DeepSID display this info would allow me to just click my way through my favourite composers and immediately hear a tune and then see if it'll fit my project.
2018-09-21 19:46
chatGPZ

Quote:
You demand HTTPS for a login

i really wish browsers would just drop http - there is no reason to support it at all in 2018.
2018-09-21 19:56
iAN CooG

not everything needs https, and not all sites have it implemented, so it's hardly going to disappear soon.
2018-09-21 19:57
chatGPZ

there is also no reason for a site to not implement it. for most cases, its like one click of work.

just wait until apple says so. it will happen soon enough.
2018-09-21 20:03
Compyx

Will you boys please stop ninjacking my feature request?
2018-09-21 20:50
Dano

Quote: Will you boys please stop ninjacking my feature request?

I totally second your feature request.

Yet still this tool might help you aswell:

Sidreloc V1.0
2018-09-21 20:54
Compyx

Yes, if I would really want to use a specific tune, it would help a lot.

But basically I just add a SID to get some sound going and, more importantly, add some proper jitter.
After about a 100 assemble-run-debug cycles I usually grab another tune to keep my sanity :)
2018-09-21 22:23
JCH

Quote: Would it be possible to add some more SID header info, specifically the load address and binary size of a SID, and perhaps the init/play addresses as well?

I find myself looking for nice (temporary) tunes for demo projects quite a bit that I would like/need to be located at a certain address range. I have a Python script that parses the HVSC and lists tunes by load address, but having DeepSID display this info would allow me to just click my way through my favourite composers and immediately hear a tune and then see if it'll fit my project.

It's actually already sort of there.

See that tiny blue bar just below the top box with title, author and copyright? It's the C64 memory, from $0000 to $FFFF. The dark blue blob that appears there is the SID tune as it takes up space. If you hover your mouse pointer on it, the tooltip will tell you the memory boundaries in hex and the size in bytes.

However, I have thought about showing (or adding a link to) the basic SID page on CSDb too, as it also has all this information.
2018-09-21 22:30
Compyx

So that's what the little blue bar was about; I figured it was decoration.

Good enough for me, but bad UI design :)
2018-09-21 22:33
JCH

I'm actually not all that Disney-singing happy about the shift to HTTPS. Since I've done that, DeepSID sometimes freeze at the directory loading SVG animation. It's rare, but there, and when it happens it's annoying as I have to refresh the page. I've also had similar rare problems with GameDeed.

I picked up a hint on Stack Overflow about using session write close and start before and after the offending code. I've tried this and it does seem to help a little, but unfortunately not 100%.

Unless someone has any other suggestions what could cause it and what to do about it, I think I'll just open it up so that it works equally well on both HTTP and HTTPS, and then I'll stick to HTTP myself. =P
2018-09-21 22:34
JCH

Quote: So that's what the little blue bar was about; I figured it was decoration.

Good enough for me, but bad UI design :)

Saved me a lot of screen estate. I even thought it was one of my better ideas. XD
2018-09-21 22:39
Compyx

Well, people on Forum64 complain I should take some UI design course because the Gtk3 version of VICE sucks balls :)
2018-09-21 22:42
JCH

I actually thought the use of a settings dialog with options in the left side was a BIG step in the right direction. I always hated having all settings spread out on a big ass menu dropping down from the top.

If/when the Gtk3 version is the one to use for Windows, I'll be happy to make the change.
2018-09-21 22:49
chatGPZ

I always hated having all settings spread out on a big ass menu dropping down from the top.

SCNR
2018-09-21 22:53
Compyx

Thanks. I also consider the current Gtk3 UI a big step forward, if I may say so myself.
We have some kinks to work out, but we'll get there.
2018-09-26 17:09
Compyx

JCH, thanks for updating DeepSID with "This blue bar shows all of the C64 memory from $0000 to $FFFF", this will help me and perhaps other morons :)
2018-09-26 17:50
Raistlin

Yeah i’m loving the Gtk3 version of VICE - and my god the settings menu is way, way better. I hated the old spaghetti version - hunting through 3 different fez related windows looking for the “debug borders” tick box etc... gah.

Wait.. this thread is about DeepSID right..? DeepSID is awesome too.
2018-09-26 19:02
Compyx

Well, yeah, officially. But it doesn't hurt to have a thread about VICE that doesn't start with "VICE sucks because..." :)
2018-09-27 10:18
JCH

Quote: JCH, thanks for updating DeepSID with "This blue bar shows all of the C64 memory from $0000 to $FFFF", this will help me and perhaps other morons :)

^^
2018-09-27 10:54
Raistlin

Just a few random thoughts...

I'd love to see more playlists on DeepSID.. more party results, different people's favourites, etc etc ... HVSC has a LOT of tunes in and, for me, I prefer to just be able to listen to the really good ones...

I'm sure I read that you were doing files for musicians..? It would be great if I could click on a musician's name, have it take me to a page about that person, change the directory on the left to be their HVSC folder, etc... maybe also have the Group name link through to a list of current and former members of the group (sorry, lots of work to do that ;p)

I see there's a number appearing above Disqus, GB64, CSDb etc - but not always .. can these be more permanent? That way you know whether there's something to see in the tab before clicking.

Maybe have playlists of a whole year's worth of tunes, too, so that we can click into that, sort by rating and then play (for example) just the most popular tunes from 2017.

When sorting by Year, I'd personally prefer to have the newer tunes at the top .. if I'm sorting by Year, it's usually because I'm assuming that the musician has gotten better over time - maybe that's wrong to assume?
2018-09-27 11:31
JCH

> I'd love to see more playlists on DeepSID..
> more party results, different people's favourites, etc etc ...
> HVSC has a LOT of tunes in and, for me,
> I prefer to just be able to listen to the really good ones...

Sure, it could use a few more playlist building options.

At the moment, the one good method is to keep adding rating stars to SID tunes. Then you can go to the bottom boxes, choose "Rating" in the drop-down box, and type e.g. "3-" (including the dash) to show a playlist of all the tunes you've rated 3 stars or more. It can work as a nice band aid for the time being.

> I'm sure I read that you were doing files for musicians..? It
> would be great if I could click on a musician's name, have it
> take me to a page about that person, change the directory on
> the left to be their HVSC folder, etc... maybe also have the
> Group name link through to a list of current and former
> members of the group (sorry, lots of work to do that ;p)

Actually the tech for it is already in place. For example, this will show Jammer's folder along with his profile:

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer/

I thought about adding "prominent" composer names in the top of a parent folder page, listing the popular ones.

It might be an idea for the front page too. I was already thinking about showing top 10 tables for most tunes, most games covered, etc.

> I see there's a number appearing above Disqus, GB64, CSDb etc -
> but not always .. can these be more permanent? That way you
> know whether there's something to see in the tab before clicking.

The way it works is it shows a number IF there is content in the tab. So a green count on the GB64 tab only appears if the SID tune was used in game(s) that GameBase64 is aware of. Same with Disqus, it only shows a red count if there are actually comments. I could show a 0 count instead of nothing, but it might feel OCD annoying to some and it's also not the general consensus regarding how such notification numbers are handled on the internet. Both Twitter and Facebook only show a count when there's a reason to do that, for example.

And of course, if you are ON the tab, the count doesn't appear either.

> Maybe have playlists of a whole year's worth of tunes, too, so
> that we can click into that, sort by rating and then play (for
> example) just the most popular tunes from 2017.

Yep, there are many good ideas. =)

Another band aid for the year's worth of tunes is to show a big playlist of all the NEW tunes in the latest version of HVSC. To do this, change the bottom drop-down box to "HVSC" and search for 69. Now you will see a playlist of the 473 new SID tunes that were added to HVSC #69.

I thought about having a "New on CSDb" custom folder where new SID files in CSDb are added ASAP, but the problem there is that some new C64 tunes added to CSDb doesn't even have a proper SID file until someone has bothered to rip it and make it. It was also a problem when I added the custom folder for the $11 competition.

> When sorting by Year, I'd personally prefer to have the newer
> tunes at the top .. if I'm sorting by Year, it's usually because
> I'm assuming that the musician has gotten better over time -
> maybe that's wrong to assume?

Arrgh, I actually had that to begin with! =D Then someone in Facebook argued for having the oldest in top. It suited him better and I soon agreed that it made more sense; A-Z, 1982-2018 and all.

I guess I should have both options in there and call them e.g. "Oldest" and "Newest" instead. Noted in my ToDo.

Thanks for the feedback! =) It's great to hear that people are actually using it and suggesting ideas about how to improve it.
2018-09-27 15:02
JCH

Search for new SID files in HVSC #69:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?type=new&search=69

Search for ratings 3 and more (must be logged in to get results):
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?type=rating&search=3-

Search for all SID tunes released in 2018:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?type=copyright&search=2018

The "Year" sort option has now been replaced with "Oldest" and "Newest" instead.
2018-09-27 20:30
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

JCH, just now I noticed that you have added graphs. There are no legends for the graphs. Are you able to add legends. That will make reading those graphs much easier (no assumptions needed).
2018-09-28 09:06
JCH

Sure, noted on ToDo.

For now, on the first chart, X is years (starting with 1982) and Y is number of SID tunes for each year.
2018-09-28 12:50
Steppe

Really, your player is the shit! Thanks for your effort JCH, great work!
2018-09-28 13:26
TheRyk

WebSID as a default is not be best choice imho when it comes to filters emulation, otherwise quite cool browser player, hats off
2018-09-28 14:21
JCH

Thanks. 🙂
2018-10-03 10:27
JCH

Personal playlists are now available.

Right-click a SID file to show a context menu where you can add it to a new or an existing playlist.

Your playlists are located in the root. You can rename or delete both playlists and their entries.

Only you can see these playlists, but next up I'm going to make support for public playlists that everyone can contribute to. I think that could be awesome.
2018-10-24 08:20
pmprog
Account closed

Nice website, but I have a little issue.

It seems that your "trimming" of names doesn't care how long the name is, so short names are effectively removed. So as you can see in the screenshot, there's a couple of folders which don't actually have names and a couple of "S..."

https://snag.gy/mftN6L.jpg
2018-10-24 09:56
JCH

The link gives me a 504 gateway timeout error.

Btw, I just fixed a bug this morning where path names weren't shortened when searching in the root.
2018-10-24 11:49
pmprog
Account closed

Hope this works

2018-10-24 12:01
JCH

What the...

Never seen that behavior before. What device and browser is that?
2018-10-24 13:01
pmprog
Account closed

It's a Windows desktop using Basilisk (which is a fork of Firefox).
If I load it up in the official Firefox it works okay. Odd really.

Don't worry about it too much as I guess not many people use Basilisk. Not sure why it'd be different than Firefox itself though, as that's what it's based on
2018-10-24 13:08
pmprog
Account closed

In case you're interested, I was playing with the developer tools in Basilisk, and if I disable the "display: inline-block;" style from "#songs .block-wrap", everything looks normal.

Don't know what effect this has on any other browsers though
2018-10-24 14:02
JCH

Could perhaps be based on an old version of Firefox, judging by the look of those drop-down boxes?

Personally I test in:

- The latest Firefox
- The latest Chrome
- iPad Safari
- iPhone Safari (typically after clearing the cache)

Sometimes I also test in MS Edge, but it has weird limitations. First of all it can't figure out how to use virtual WampServer hosts, and it also can't do animated SVG. And sometimes I even have to do extra adjustments just to satisfy Edge.
2018-11-19 16:10
JCH

I've added a new piano tab that shows SID tunes playing on keyboards.

2018-11-19 17:01
spider-j

Quoting JCH

That's a real fun view! May I add "guitar view" to the wishlist? :-)
2018-11-19 17:22
chatGPZ

a tab that scrolls by? that would be awesome indeed :)
2018-11-19 18:22
Jammer

Lovely feature! PWM indicator doesn't seem to work with all GT tunes, though ;)
2018-11-19 22:38
Digger

Would be nice to add slower CSS transitions for changing the key colors (easier way to decode the arp chords) or a way to slow down the playback – already discussed with JCH on Twitter :)
2018-11-20 09:53
JCH

Quote: Quoting JCH

That's a real fun view! May I add "guitar view" to the wishlist? :-)

You mean something like the earlier SidViz stuff? Sure, could be nice. =)
2018-11-20 09:53
JCH

Quote: Lovely feature! PWM indicator doesn't seem to work with all GT tunes, though ;)

I forgot to mask the high byte. The bug should be fixed now.
2018-11-20 09:57
JCH

Quote: Would be nice to add slower CSS transitions for changing the key colors (easier way to decode the arp chords) or a way to slow down the playback – already discussed with JCH on Twitter :)

I tried keys fading out longer while developing this feature, and my impression was that it made it harder to see what was actually going on. It sort of worked against its original purpose, instead leaning towards making a mess out of it. I still have a small fade out when gating off, but I made it very subtle for the same reason.

Slowing down the tune might be better.
2018-11-21 15:10
iAN CooG

Everything's cool, apart that the page for me is rendered at 1310 horizontal pixels, while my screen resolution is 1280x1024, so right part of the screen is never visible, there is no slider or a way to scroll horizontally.
Tested in both Vivaldi 2.2 and Firefox 62
2018-11-21 15:38
JCH

You're right, there's no way to scroll on a desktop computer with a smaller display. That's not right. I'll make a note of fixing it sooner or later.

EDIT: Until fixed, perhaps you can zoom the display smaller.
2018-11-21 15:49
JCH

There, it should be fixed now.
2018-11-21 15:59
Oswald

its hard to find which channel the lead is on in random sids I've checked. probably a product of both how it is hard to detect notes played, and lead scattered on more channels ?
2018-11-21 16:24
JCH

Quote: its hard to find which channel the lead is on in random sids I've checked. probably a product of both how it is hard to detect notes played, and lead scattered on more channels ?

Sometimes a fast playing tune triggers notes so fast you can barely spot them. Toggling "Include gate bit" OFF to disregard releasing notes on the keyboard helps a lot with that. This is especially helpful with arpeggio chords.

Otherwise, turning voices off is your friend. =) Click the green buttons - or even better, use 1 to 3 on your computer keyboard.
2018-11-21 18:03
Digger

Could Shift+1/2/3 leave channels on solo? :)
2018-11-21 18:57
JCH

Good idea.
2018-11-21 20:54
Jammer

BTW, anyone else experienced problems with Hermit's engine playing some tunes? Sometimes volume seems to go out of scale, there's loud pop, playback volume goes down and filters get broken. It usually requires reloading page.
2018-11-22 09:53
JCH

Quote: Could Shift+1/2/3 leave channels on solo? :)

Now implemented. Also works with digi in WebSid ('4' or 'r').
2018-11-22 09:53
JCH

Quote: BTW, anyone else experienced problems with Hermit's engine playing some tunes? Sometimes volume seems to go out of scale, there's loud pop, playback volume goes down and filters get broken. It usually requires reloading page.

Weird, I don't think I've ever met this one. I'll keep my ears open.
2018-11-22 16:00
Jammer

Quoting JCH

Happens mostly to 6581 tunes IIRC.
2018-11-23 09:06
JCH

Quote: Quoting JCH

Happens mostly to 6581 tunes IIRC.

A user at the site also had problems with Hermit's. He solved it by clearing the cache in Chrome.
2018-11-23 09:10
ChristopherJam

Loving the piano view right now, thank you!
2018-11-23 10:39
JCH

Thanks. 😊

By the way, if anyone have experienced choppy playback since introducing the piano tab, you can now fix it with the new buffer size drop-down box.
2018-11-27 22:39
Raf

Please store selected buffer size in cookie or account or sth, because default 1024 chokes even on 3.5Ghz 4th gen i7 on chrome and setting it to 4096 each time is annoying! :)

www.c64power.com
2018-11-27 23:43
JCH

Noted.
2018-11-28 08:59
Grue

When do we get statistics which tunes are played more frequently with deepsid? Also other stats!
2018-11-28 09:55
JCH

Quote: When do we get statistics which tunes are played more frequently with deepsid? Also other stats!

I thought about user-compiled stats, especially average star ratings shown with dimmed green half stars, but as here on CSDb there would have to be at least 10 or so for a tune to reach "wisdom of the crowd" and I have a feeling that there are just too few users in DeepSID to do that. Remember there are over 50000 tunes in HVSC and the favorites of all these users would either be scattered thin or focused on obvious classics like "Commando" or "Comic Bakery" which we already know are fantastic tunes. That's not saying I wouldn't make it, just that it's not high on my list.

Some other raw stats could be cool, though - like top lists of games covered (David Whittaker would probably be in top), number of tunes in total (*cough*RichardBaylissVsDrax*cough*), etc.
2018-11-28 10:00
Grue

yes, we have 50k tunes which are mostly crap, that's why I'm interested in what other people listen to so I can find "new" tunes. I'm not too much into top100 tunes kind of stats, more like stuff I haven't found out yet myself.

Also adding "genre" tag into hvsc would be nice, but its not deepsid's mission :)
2018-11-28 11:40
JCH

Quote: yes, we have 50k tunes which are mostly crap, that's why I'm interested in what other people listen to so I can find "new" tunes. I'm not too much into top100 tunes kind of stats, more like stuff I haven't found out yet myself.

Also adding "genre" tag into hvsc would be nice, but its not deepsid's mission :)

In that case I think you might find the various "Favourites" folders in the root interesting. It's public playlists created by other DeepSID users with their personal list of favourite tunes. I've found a few surprises in those for sure.

I've also thought about a genre tag, but adding that would probably mean having to go through all tunes one by one. That's a big nope on my own part, but perhaps it could become something that all users can participate in building up.

I've even thought about not just general music genres (jazz, rock, disco, etc.) but also C64-specific genres. Beep, pre-Hubbard, new age deep filter sound stuff, and so on. That could be cool to have too for filter purposes. It could be nice if names for those kind of genres could be a collaborate effort from everyone interested in this.

Other than that, I have actually added a new feature yesterday that may also help with the former. Inside each letter folder in MUSICIANS, the sorting drop-down box is now a filter instead. If you change this to "Decent", it filters out all the worst apples. While this is not anywhere near as monumental a task to do as the genre thing, it still takes some time to do. I've only completed 0-9, A, B, L and Q for now. This is based on my own assessments where I've tried to be fair and listened to at least half a dozen tunes or so in each folder before making a final judgment. Of course it's open for changes if you think someone should be included or another one is too bad to be there. It's also possible I might just change it later to "JCH recommends" instead with various star options. Not sure about the future of this yet.
2018-11-28 11:44
JCH

Quote: Please store selected buffer size in cookie or account or sth, because default 1024 chokes even on 3.5Ghz 4th gen i7 on chrome and setting it to 4096 each time is annoying! :)

www.c64power.com

This has now been implemented.

Btw, that URL doesn't work.
2018-11-28 16:59
Oswald

Quote: Please store selected buffer size in cookie or account or sth, because default 1024 chokes even on 3.5Ghz 4th gen i7 on chrome and setting it to 4096 each time is annoying! :)

www.c64power.com

how is that possible? I have a pretty lame laptop and no problems in firefox.
2019-01-08 15:13
JackAsser

* Update the page title to reflect currently played song
* Allow space to toggle play/pause just like in Spotify et. al
2019-01-09 09:40
JCH

Done, and done.
2019-01-09 15:00
JackAsser

You awesome awesomeness! <3
2019-01-09 15:10
JCH

^^
2019-02-09 22:21
Durandal

Hi JCH, found a problem while trying to listen to /GAMES/S-Z/Who_Dares_Wins.sid

It plays about 1 seconds then the page goes blank seems to try to load something from GB64 and then enter an endless loop.

From Firefox console this line repeats endlessly:
TypeError: window.player is undefined scriptprocessor_player.js:25:6
2019-02-10 08:50
JCH

Really interesting. Looks like a case for the WebSid emulator programmer.

I'll relay it ASAP, thanks.
2019-02-11 11:48
JCH

Fixed.

Turns out it was not the fault of the WebSid programmer. It was because one of the GameBase64 entries had no screenshots at all. I forgot to check for that, but it does now.

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/GAMES/S-Z/Who_Dares_Wins.sid
2019-02-11 17:33
Impetigo

What about this strange behaviour?

file=/MUSICIANS/B/Barracuda/Skin_of_Rainbow.sid

If I choose to play it with SOASC 6581 R2 it stops for 15 seconds at 0:16. Then it continues to play.
This doesn't happen with the SID emulators or SOASC 6581 R4.
2019-02-11 20:01
JCH

LOL, that was weird. Thanks, I'll have a look.
2019-02-11 20:21
JCH

It seems to be a problem in the FLAC file itself. It also pauses when called directly in my Firefox.

What's really weird is that downloading and then playing it with an offline player works fine. It only happens in Firefox itself. The MP3 version also works fine in Firefox. Maybe it only happens when the FLAC file is being streamed?

I couldn't test the FLAC file in Chrome and Edge as they just download the file.

Anyway, I'll let the SOASC guys know about it.
2019-02-11 21:13
Impetigo

Quoting JCH
Maybe it only happens when the FLAC file is being streamed?

It seems so. It happened to me on Firefox as well.
2019-03-02 10:26
JCH

A major folder for CSDb Music Competitions has been added.

2019-04-26 11:58
JCH

Some days ago I added a new Player tab for listing players/editors. Click an entry there and it will show its page while also finding the songs made in it.

I have been busy adding a lot more lately. The list is now past 100 entries.

http://deepsid.chordian.net/?tab=player
2019-07-14 21:23
JCH

You can now click a small button near the logo to toggle between a bright or a dark color theme.
2019-07-15 11:22
Perplex

Quote: You can now click a small button near the logo to toggle between a bright or a dark color theme.

Sweet!

There's something odd about the progress bar when the dark theme is enabled, though - it seems to be constantly taking one step back and two steps forward, making it look very nervous.
2019-07-15 11:51
JCH

Quote: Sweet!

There's something odd about the progress bar when the dark theme is enabled, though - it seems to be constantly taking one step back and two steps forward, making it look very nervous.

Sounds weird. It doesn't do that in neither Firefox nor Chrome on my PC (WebSid emulator).

Have you tried refreshing the cache with Ctrl+F5?
2019-07-15 14:24
Perplex

Quote: Sounds weird. It doesn't do that in neither Firefox nor Chrome on my PC (WebSid emulator).

Have you tried refreshing the cache with Ctrl+F5?

I am using the Vivaldi (Chromium based) browser. Ctrl+F5 doesn't help. Switching emulator or using SOASC makes no difference either.

It's more noticable in some tunes than others, but it's only ever an issue when the dark theme is enabled.
2019-07-15 15:05
JCH

I installed Vivaldi.2.6.1566.44.x64.exe in my Windows 10 but the time bar also behaves for me there. I'm sorry but it seems I can't reproduce it.

What operating system are you using?

Do you have other browsers installed you can test it in?
2019-07-15 19:35
Perplex

I just updated to the latest version of Vivaldi, and the issue is now gone. Guess I should have tried that first, sorry for wasting your time, and thank you for adding the dark mode!
2019-07-15 19:46
JCH

No problem, I'm glad you found a way to fix it. =)
2019-07-22 11:43
JCH

The WebSid emulator has been significantly updated.

The previous version of it used a predictive emulation technique and required hacks for some SID tunes to work. The newly updated version has been overhauled to use a cycle-by-cycle approach and no longer need these hacks. It also emulates digi more faithfully and now supports more difficult SID tunes than ever before.

The downside is that the new emulation takes about 50-100% more CPU time, depending on the SID tune itself.

Take it for a spin and see how it plays for you.
2019-07-24 12:17
gorans

Works great. Thanks JCH.
2019-07-24 21:55
Oswald

listening to some good old Morbid tunes right now, he can brilliantly capture sad moods.

crazy amount of work in this, I have some suggestions:

- displaying digi channel
- user interface is not intuitive not logical I spent long time getting what/where everything is.

for example replay buffer size is hidden in piano display ? piano display is on a tab within tabs which are infos on the current tune, etc.
2019-07-24 22:37
JCH

If you drag the scope view larger, there's a fourth box for digi.

The buffer size box is also available in the settings tab (which is the last cog icon tab) and it shares its setting with the ones in the visuals views.
2019-07-25 17:04
Oswald

that doesnt solve the mess.

biggest window should be the browsing window. many folders have hundreds of tunes and I get to view like 6 at one time.

acc / deccelerating scrolling sucks on my slow laptop, just snap it where I scrolled please.

currently played tune title should be highlighted.

piano / oscilloscope view should be in the same window.

there's hardly any contrast on rectangles around different windows, hard to see what belongs where logically.

took min 10 minutes to realize there's a menu on top and I can get back to starting page.

cant change buffer size in cogwheel icon because I should be logged in, but can change on piano tab without logging in.

etc.
2019-07-25 18:53
JCH

> biggest window should be the browsing window. many folders
> have hundreds of tunes and I get to view like 6 at one time.

I have actually been giving this a lot of thought.

The sundry box (which is the box with the STIL or scope) can be resized by dragging the bar in the bottom, just above the player controls. Furthermore, if DeepSID detects that there is insufficient vertical space upon refreshing or resizing the browser window, it automatically minimizes this sundry box.

On a desktop computer, you can manually toggle the latter with the s hotkey.

> currently played tune title should be highlighted.

The row should be highlighted in the browser list when clicked. Is this not what you mean?

For auto-progressing, you can decide whether the next tune should highlight or not with an option in the settings.

> cant change buffer size in cogwheel icon because I should be
> logged in, but can change on piano tab without logging in.

This is another one I've actually returned to quite often.

The buffer size setting is available in the visuals views because it's directly relevant to how fast they update. Smaller values work much better there. Similarly, the scope view automatically shows a button to change this if it's not at the right setting (it requires the biggest setting).

And since the visuals views are not available on a mobile device and the scope view only works with the maximum setting anyway, this is always the default there and thus should never require adjusting.

DeepSID does require some CPU juice in the computer or device to work well, especially now that the WebSid emulator has been updated to work on a cycle-by-cycle basis recently. It's impossible to ensure that it runs perfectly on all computers. If speed is a problem, I recommend using the SOASC handlers instead of the emulators. They play real MP3/FLAC recordings and require very little CPU time.
2019-07-28 15:11
Oswald

about 1/3 of the screen is empty (right side)

so why not have 3 vertical blocks:

- list of tunes "area for browsing/find tunes"
- osci + piano+ settings - everything regarding playback/visuals
- info about current tune

recommended folders etc. put this into list of tunes, hence logically belonging there.

every function should be put logically into its "area"

and maybe a horizontal section on top for login / menu (looking at it now emulator type select positionally mixed with login, this belongs to playback settings into one logical box)
2019-07-31 11:06
Mr. SID

Also, have you thought about combining the piano and graph views somehow?
I've made this many years ago, which might give you some ideas: http://galway.c64.org/~sid/analyzer.png
2019-07-31 11:16
JCH

Quote: Also, have you thought about combining the piano and graph views somehow?
I've made this many years ago, which might give you some ideas: http://galway.c64.org/~sid/analyzer.png

Wow, that looks nice. I like the idea of showing the frequency line and what whole note it rounds off to.

I once thought of just adding a "waterfall" below the pianos but I'm not sure it would work well there. It would probably have to be a new view, I guess.
2019-07-31 11:19
JCH

[Types http://galway.c64.org/ to see what that is]

LOL!
2019-07-31 12:01
Digger

@Mr. SID: Wow, does it still run on macOS?
2019-07-31 12:51
Mr. SID

I've never finished it...
2019-09-06 13:41
DKT

Hi JCH.
First of all I want to thank you for your great effort. DeepSID project is one of the greatest and best in C64 history.
I was wondering about something like an automatic playlist with the all SIDs ordered in time (from newest to oldest), to always listen the newest one released. It's time consuming to look for releases, download and run all the PRGs or D64s to listen all latest tunes (which I could miss).
What do you think about it?
DKT
2019-09-06 13:47
JCH

Thanks for the kind words. =)

Well, you can search for the latest additions to HVSC.

To do this, just select "Version" in the bottom left corner drop-down box, then type "71" (or whatever HVSC update you want to check out) and search. Then you could click the first tune and off you go with a playlist only consisting of new stuff.

Here's a link to such a search query:
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=71&type=new
2019-09-06 13:58
DKT

I was thinking about newest SIDs from CSDB, but probably it would engage changing your web engine to look for latest additions on CSDB, because entire DeepSID is based on HVSC (right?)
2019-09-06 15:29
JCH

Yep, that and CGSC. But it's not impossible to support SID tunes not in HVSC (the "Exotic" folder is exactly that).

I've thought about making a "New at CSDb" folder, but I would have to do something clever to sync when tunes does eventually appear in HVSC. I had something preliminary with physical custom folders at one point, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with how it worked internally, and eventually that was replaced by the playlist system instead.

Another problem with new tunes at CSDb is that new SID entries does not always come as a .sid file; sometimes only as a .prg/.d64, and I honestly CBA to also rip those that are not. I'm more than busy enough on the DeepSID coding side as it is. =)

I may still return to the idea later, though.
2019-09-06 17:27
iAN CooG

Just for clarification, as this matter is never clear enough for everyone: If a tune is new, the .sid will eventually be in HVSC (if it was possible to rip it of course, otherwise, do your part and send them to us at hvsc@c64.org anytime, thanks), but the CSDb entries DO NOT EVER need a .sid file added as download. CSDb stores the actual C64 executables. After the HVSC update, the link to the .sid files used will be linked in the entries.
If an entry is added of a .sid file as download, it's just a nice plus, still not required.
2019-09-06 21:05
Digger

Also big kudos to JCH/Chordian for DeepSID. I use it pretty much daily – the level of integration with other services (Remix, HVSC, CSDb, Disqus etc.) plus playlists is just mindblowing. And zero ADs!
It's an amazing discovery tool for me, especially the latest tagging feature (that we could never get here on CSDb, sigh).
2019-09-07 09:47
Jammer

SOASC links are unavailable recently. Some temporary reworking? :)
2019-09-07 10:18
JCH

Sometimes SOASC downloads are down for extended periods of time for no reason given at the web site itself. I guess, maintenance stuff?

That's the reason I added that SOASC uptime status in the top of DeepSID, because that happens once in a while.

I'll ask them what's going on.
2019-09-07 22:04
CreaMD

SOASC is maybe/probably running on some local computer accessible via dynamic dns address. It would be best to put on some cheap cloud and funded by donations.
2019-09-07 22:12
Compyx

Can you please display more info on the SID? Right now there's a small blue bar which you have to hover over to get the load address/size.

It would be nice to have info like in VSID, the basic stuff from the SID header.
2019-09-07 23:24
JCH

Sure, I could add a sundry tab with tech info. Noted.

There's is an extra shortcut already available now, though. In the CSDb tab, if you are in the list of release thumbnails (else go BACK) click the top right external link icon to open the CSDb SID page. It has some tech info.
2019-09-09 15:30
Steppe

JCH, I see in your update blog that from 8th of November the old version of the websid player ought to be used on mobile devices. When I tried to day on my Moto G6 it was still choppy as hell. Then I tried some tunes in Hermits player (which worked without hickups before), but the output also had those mini gaps (less than websid player, though) but still enough to mangle the music real badly. I'm using the latest Firefox 68.1 browser on Android.
2019-09-09 17:29
JCH

I've actually activated older and faster versions of the WebSid emulator on the 6th and 7th of September, but it's possible you may need to clear the browser cache. (I know my iPhone Safari is terribly stubborn about that.)

If it's a general problem that persists I'll have a look at it.
2019-09-10 07:53
Steppe

Ok, I get the same result with Websid in Chrome, but the Hermit player works fine here. So it must be a Firefox thing, both players are choppy here. Probably nothing you can fix on your side, JCH, my mobile's too slow. ;-)
2019-09-10 13:58
Compyx

Quoting JCH
Sure, I could add a sundry tab with tech info. Noted.

There's is an extra shortcut already available now, though. In the CSDb tab, if you are in the list of release thumbnails (else go BACK) click the top right external link icon to open the CSDb SID page. It has some tech info.

Aha, that'll do as well, thanks for the tip.
2019-09-15 17:10
JCH

I've now also added SID info in the new memo view.
2019-09-28 21:30
Steppe

Whatever you did, it works again. Thanks JCH!
2019-09-29 09:37
JCH

Yeah, there was a typo in a line that loaded the wrong script. It should be good for Android phones now.
2019-10-15 22:03
encore

JCH: Cheers for adding 2SID/3SID support. Must be fairly recent as it's not in the 'Changes' yet? :)
2019-10-15 22:16
JCH

If you go to the bottom of the 'Changes' tab, there's a link to older news. 2SID and 3SID support is actually quite old. =)

Check out the new exotic folder in the root, it has 4SID, 8SID and 10SID tunes as well as true stereo 2SID. All of them can be played by the default WebSid emulator.
2020-01-05 10:01
JCH

Finally, after many weeks of work, tagging the entirety of HVSC has been completed. A few tags were invented along the way so some patching could be done later.

For an idea of what tags to search for, have a look at this page of guidelines.

Some examples of searching for tags:

Remix64 tags. There are a zillion of these so the search only returns the first 1000 hits.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=remix64&type=tag

Comeback tag. A funny one returning only 16 hits for now. These are songs from SID composers that have been out of the loop for many years, maybe even decades, before finally returning with a song.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=comeback&type=tag

More than 500 movie covers.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=cover+soundtrack&type=tag

More than 100 ragtime tunes.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=ragtime&type=tag

Almost 500 quatro tunes. This searches for "4x" but there are also multiplier values for many other kinds of multispeed tunes. Also, multispeed tunes with fluctuating speeds just have the general "Multispeed" tag.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=4x&type=tag

Conversions from other formats usually have a secondary tag that specifies what format it comes from. Here's a search that finds all conversions from arcade machines.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=conversion+arcade&type=tag

There are tags for finding tunes that only use one waveform, like "Only $11", "Only $21", etc. Here's one that finds those that only use the $11 (triangle) waveform.
http://deepsid.chordian.net/?search=%22only+%2411%22&type=tag
2020-01-05 23:23
CreaMD

Awesome job!!! Thank you!
2020-06-27 19:58
JCH

HVSC has now been updated to version #73 at DeepSID.

Connections to CSDb pages, new competition folders and profiles/ratings for new composer folders will follow later.

Click here to see what's new.
2020-06-27 20:06
Flotsam

With such a huge collection, tags really add to usability. Must have been a massive job... respect.

Best Regards,
One of the sixteen
2020-06-27 20:11
JCH

It's amazing so much there is to do each time there's an update. Players, data, tune lengths, new composer profiles, tags, competitions...
2023-10-31 06:41
Steppe

https://ibb.co/sQP2XSv

Can anyone explain what the different colour stripes to the left of the sid tunes are?
2023-10-31 06:47
Steppe

Doh, I found it, they mark various popular players. It's in the "tips" tab on the right...
2023-11-08 04:02
Mr SQL

DeepSID is fantastic! I was just listening to a few tunes.

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/B/Bayliss_Richard..

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/T/Tel_Jeroen/Turb..

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/G/Gray_Matt/Bangk..

https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/D/Daglish_Ben/Tra..

This is very inspiring, the subtractive analog synth is a really incredible instrument in the hands of these artists.

I'm working on a composition, this resource helps tremendously.
2023-12-09 04:05
Repose

I agree, this is a fantastic interface!

The one I'm trying now doesn't even sound like a SID (with an ode to Arkanoid).
https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer/Big_Beat..

And this for sure doesn't (it has a lot of digi's)
https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=SID%20Happens/Cuts%27n%27Pie..

Some kind of vocoder
https://deepsid.chordian.net/?file=/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer/From_Now..
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 114
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)