Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > GoatTracker and GoatTracker Stereo new features
2019-03-19 06:58
Ahornberg
Account closed

GoatTracker and GoatTracker Stereo new features

Im currently implementing the following features into GoatTracker and GoatTracker Stereo:

- /Q command line option for setting equal divisions per octave that differ from 12.
- /J command line option for setting different note names.
- /Y command line option for setting a path to a Scala tuning file.
- Small color changes to the pattern table for better readability.
- Isomorphic key layout.
- Switch between mono mode and stereo mode.
- /w command line option for setting 4 different window sizes.

Actually I can share a Windows build with sources if there's interest.

For further development of GoatTracker: What are your feature requests? Please let me know and I will see what I can build into GoatTracker.
2019-03-19 08:50
spider-j

Reminds me of something on my everlasting todo list ;-)
Colorscheming support would be ace. I once did a dirty hack for myself but never got around cleaning it up so far:
http://gt2fork.jansalleine.com/
2019-03-19 09:12
Ahornberg
Account closed

Quote: Reminds me of something on my everlasting todo list ;-)
Colorscheming support would be ace. I once did a dirty hack for myself but never got around cleaning it up so far:
http://gt2fork.jansalleine.com/

Yes, colorscheme support can be done easily. I put it on my list. I saw you extended the colorscheme in the wavetable, pulsetable and filtertable. That's a great idea!
2019-03-19 11:47
Mixer

Not that I use GT much, but i might.. if...

Redesign the instrument edit. We read horizontally, not vertically or randomly.

a) instruments viewed as list, parameters horizontally

01 00 00 00 ..
02 00 00 00 ..

instrument expanded
03 00 00 00 00 00 01
wftablesection xx xx xx xx
pulsetable section xx xx xx
vibrato section xx xx xx
filters section xx xx xx

b) Primarily only instrument-relevant parts of the wf/pulse/filter/frq table visible. (optimizations can be done later)

c) regarding scaling: viewing distance vs. screen size should be the determining factor for the size of elements on screen, not resolution and such technical details.
2019-03-19 14:33
Jammer

@Mixer: tables in GT are pairs of bytes hence putting them horizontaly is kind of missed idea ;)
2019-03-19 14:44
Mixer

@Jammer: indeed, or are they 16 bit words, or are the bits split some other way depending on their encoding. Perhaps it is just too big a change.
2019-03-19 14:53
JCH

I would like to see support for colors added to blocks of order bytes (or some split line or whathaveyou) to indicate an important change in the tune at this point. It would help a lot in tunes with A-, B-, C- pieces, bridges, etc.
2019-03-19 15:39
Ahornberg
Account closed

Ideas from the GoatTracker Lounge facebook group:

- custom fonts and/or bitmap backgrounds
- visualizer bars for filtermode, cutoff, reso and PW values like in SID-Wizard
- a dedicated auto-depth calculated detune table

I also want to merge the codebases of the 1-SID and the 2-SIDs versions. I think this will speed up coding and testing by factor 2.
2019-03-19 15:40
Snabel

I would love to see visual representation of PW for all channels, cutoff and reso like in SIDwizard (and maybe even filter type)
2019-03-19 15:58
Ahornberg
Account closed

Quote: I would like to see support for colors added to blocks of order bytes (or some split line or whathaveyou) to indicate an important change in the tune at this point. It would help a lot in tunes with A-, B-, C- pieces, bridges, etc.

I assume you are talking about the orderlist and not about the pattern table.

How many different colors would you need? There is no rightcklick/popup-menue for choosing colors (sure, I could code one).

I would suggest using only one additional color as a background color that keeps the numbers readable, even when they are selected (green) or actually played (red).

Another thing I would think about is that saving this colored regions would break backward compatibility of the .sng file format.
2019-03-19 16:25
Ahornberg
Account closed

Quoting Mixer
a) instruments viewed as list, parameters horizontally

01 00 00 00 ..
02 00 00 00 ..

Do you mean the way CheeseCutter displays intrument data?

Quoting Mixer
instrument expanded
03 00 00 00 00 00 01
wftablesection xx xx xx xx
pulsetable section xx xx xx
vibrato section xx xx xx
filters section xx xx xx

b) Primarily only instrument-relevant parts of the wf/pulse/filter/frq table visible. (optimizations can be done later)

In GoatTracker, the wavetable, the pulsetable and the filtertable are independent from the instruments. That means, there is only one large wavetable that is used/shared by all instruments and by cleverly using the jump markers (by jumping from one section into another and by building chains while saving table space) you can do things that were impossible if every instrument would have it's on wavetable (e.g. like in SID-Wizard or DefleMask).

Quoting Mixer
c) regarding scaling: viewing distance vs. screen size should be the determining factor for the size of elements on screen, not resolution and such technical details.

At the end there are pixels on a screen and every screen has one or more screen resoulutions you can choose from (and/or the OS provides resolution and/or scaling options). It's up to the user to set a screen resoulution that fits well and it is up to the user to choose a viewing distance that fits well. In the code I can only specify the width and height of graphical elements (actually in GoatTracker there are just chars/letters, a rectangular cursor and the mouse pointer). In the code, I can provide the option for choosing different widths and heights of graphical elements (e.g. width/height x 2, width/height x 3, and so on).

... 19 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Oxbow/Xenon
iAN CooG/HVSC
Low Spirit
hedning/G★P
Operator Teleksu
St0fF/N30PLA51A/tOM