Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SID Factory II
2020-06-05 15:41
JCH

SID Factory II

Laxity and I have decided to go BETA with SID Factory II to let all curious SID composers also have a go at this cross-platform SID editor.

We have a Facebook group that you are welcome to join. There's also a nifty user manual there. If you're not on Facebook, this thread should serve as another place where we can share questions, ideas, music, bugs, new builds, additional files, etc.

Please note that although SID Factory II is quite stable and more than capable of editing SID tunes at this point, it is still missing a few essential things such as e.g. sub tunes. We have a solid ToDo and will post new builds here as they become available.

The first official BETA build: SIDFactoryII_20200604.zip

... 144 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-08-15 11:18
Krill

Quoting spider-j
Of course – as Krill pointed out – self-hosting is an option to have full control if you're really concerned about that.
And it may even be read-only for anyone but the admin. If someone requests merging in a patch, they'd just send a diff with the latest repository version.

Worst that can happen is that they decide to fork the project and put it on github et al. themselves, but that's how it is with free and open source. :)
2020-08-15 12:10
chatGPZ

First of all i wouldnt bother hiding a "development branch" - that only creates more work (someone contributes a fix - and then you cant just apply it, but have to merge it into your development branch). There will be very few ppl actually looking at the code anyway - and those who do should better see the current version, and not something from the last release.

I dont recommend self hosting either if you have no experience with that - again, it only creates more work with very little gain.

If you create a github project, you should get everything you want. You can just not grant anyone write access, so you have full control over whats in the repo. And everyone who wants to contribute fixes can clone the repo and send you a pull request, which is then very easy to merge (with a single click).

I dont like github all that much myself, but thats because i had many years of exposure to subversion before, and i am just too used to it (and it does all i need/want). If you dont know either, starting with git is probably the much better idea :) (warning: it can be very WTF at times)
2020-08-15 12:16
Krill

Quoting Groepaz
I dont like github all that much myself, but thats because i had many years of exposure to subversion before, and i am just too used to it (and it does all i need/want). If you dont know either, starting with git is probably the much better idea :) (warning: it can be very WTF at times)
https://docs.github.com/en/github/importing-your-projects-to-gi.. =)

Maybe git is to github what car is to carpet, or Java to JavaScript.
2020-08-15 12:19
chatGPZ

One thing i seriously do NOT recommend is using github with subversion. That defeats the point and only creates more problems :)
2020-08-15 12:23
Laxity

Ok cool. Lot’s to consider. Thanks. We currently have it in an svn repo, as we’re three people working on it in different aspects of the project.
2020-08-15 13:40
chatGPZ

If you already have that, just expose it publicly for read access.... when someone wants to contribute a fix, he can just provide a "svn diff", easy enough :)
2020-08-16 22:47
spider-j

@Laxity: It looks you're still using very old resid and residfp versions. After manually grabbing current versions from VICE and libsidplayfp for my GT2 fork I saw that Leandro (the guy who seems to do most of the work on them at the moment) has them both as standalone repositories here:
https://github.com/drfiemost/resid
and here:
https://github.com/drfiemost/residfp
2020-08-18 22:24
Isildur

Thanks Groepaz, Linux binaries working great.
Also compilation running without any issues with default flags.
As a newborn Linux user I have only one issue, can't set it to executable. I mean all permissions and "Allow this file to run as a program" are set, but binary won't run this way, always asking to choose program to run with and opens with Python by default ;).
From Terminal "./sf2" working perfect. Tested on Linux Lite (Ubuntu fork). Thanks again!
2020-08-18 22:55
chatGPZ

when running from terminal works, then the executable flag is set correctly... perhaps the filemanager you are using is simply designed to not start executables on clicking them?
2020-08-19 00:22
Isildur

Nope, every other program is working fine, like Vice or C64debugger etc. (Thunar is default FM in Linux Lite).
Not a big deal since it starts from the terminal.
Previous - 1 | ... | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
zscs
Viralbox
saimo/RETREAM
Guests online: 344
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)