Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > timeline of SID achievements
2009-04-08 11:51
goto80

timeline of SID achievements

I'm looking for a timeline of SID achievements. Does this exist? A list of important software (trackers and non-trackers, midi-sequencers and midi-slaves, sample-players and "drum machines", generatives, remix-tools, etc) and SID-tricks (playing digi-stuff, multispeed, hardrestart, etc). Who, where, when, how, why. I think a timeline over these things would be important to put together, if it doesn't already exist.

(I work on a timeline of chip music in general here: chipflip.wordpress.com/timeline. It is far from finished, of course. Suggestions are very welcome)

... 75 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2009-05-14 08:52
Soren

@Goto80: Well, just like a hard restart gives a hard start of the sound, you can do a soft restart that makes the sound more sloppy from start...
a standard hard restart ADSR value could be FF00
a soft one could be FF06... simply play around with the ADSR of the restart.
:-)
2009-05-14 10:19
Jammer

Quote: @Goto80: Well, just like a hard restart gives a hard start of the sound, you can do a soft restart that makes the sound more sloppy from start...
a standard hard restart ADSR value could be FF00
a soft one could be FF06... simply play around with the ADSR of the restart.
:-)

jeffy, i owe you a little blow! i always used 0ff0. your setting seems to be better ;) and hard/soft hardrestart also works ;)
2009-05-14 11:04
Soren

@Jammer: no worries :-) I noticed the soft restart thing in several Charles Deenen tunes, which might be a bit different, but it opened my eyes to the softer restarts atleast.
2009-05-17 19:07
JCH

Quote: Hard restart: it seems we cannot say with 100% certainty who did it first.. Laxity informed me that JCH got help to do it from him, and that he himself peeked, maybe at Bjerregaards player..

So, who did it, remains a mystery.

I seem to remember JO telling me how hard restart worked, not Laxity. Also seem to remember Laxity telling me back then that he figured it out by peeking in Hubbard's player.

But being so many years later, I might be wrong. =)

One thing I do remember was that Jozz discovered "test-bit noise" on a C64 at my place, but what is hazy is whether it was after listening to another C64 tune that had something similar in it - I think it was, but I'm not sure.

When I made the "Game Over" and "Get Ready" ring modulation speech effect, I had no inspiration from anywhere at all. I was just curious to hear if it could be done.
2009-05-18 09:13
GT
Account closed

Quote: I seem to remember JO telling me how hard restart worked, not Laxity. Also seem to remember Laxity telling me back then that he figured it out by peeking in Hubbard's player.

But being so many years later, I might be wrong. =)

One thing I do remember was that Jozz discovered "test-bit noise" on a C64 at my place, but what is hazy is whether it was after listening to another C64 tune that had something similar in it - I think it was, but I'm not sure.

When I made the "Game Over" and "Get Ready" ring modulation speech effect, I had no inspiration from anywhere at all. I was just curious to hear if it could be done.

Didn't Maniacs of Noise release tunes with Hard Restart before JCH and Laxity ? I can clearly remember that... But Hubbard released tunes with Hard Restart even before Maniacs Of Noise... So what's the point of this timeline discussion ?
2009-05-18 10:41
Steppe

Yeah, it all boils down to "Hubbard is god, he created the sound and code. On the 7th day he rested and saw that it was good".
2009-05-18 10:55
GT
Account closed

Quote: Yeah, it all boils down to "Hubbard is god, he created the sound and code. On the 7th day he rested and saw that it was good".

And Paul Norman's Forbidden Forest music had Hard Restart before Rob Hubbard... and that's 1983 ! ;)
2009-05-18 20:36
SIDWAVE
Account closed

please, all, go back and read my limited timeline post earlier, and fill in some more years or detail with other info, if you have any. (im collecting an article)
2009-05-19 08:43
Frantic

Geir: hmm.. what subtune of forbidden forrest has hardrestart? By looking at the output in sidplay on mac it seemed like gate was even on all the time? Perhaps I missed something here...
2009-05-19 14:35
GT
Account closed

Quote: Geir: hmm.. what subtune of forbidden forrest has hardrestart? By looking at the output in sidplay on mac it seemed like gate was even on all the time? Perhaps I missed something here...

In parts of all the tunes. He uses zero in release on instruments, and clears gate to make a harder attack in parts of the tunes. That's just the same as a coded hard attack routine. Check subtune 4 and 7 especially.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Sokratekk
celticdesign/G★P/M..
tlr
Hexhog
saimo/RETREAM
metalux/G★P