Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SID-Wizard - further development
2012-07-08 16:59
Hermit

SID-Wizard - further development

Hi

I opened this new thread to discuss upcoming ideas for SID-Wizard which I released on 7 July.
SID-Wizard V1.0 RC

As you can see the source code is entirely shared, so you might contribute to the code yourself in some way if you wish.

As a starting point I'll try to make a sketch of the whole code-structure which might help to find parts of the program.
Soci gave some ideas which I think will be described soon in this topic.

thx for your great feedbacks

... 47 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-08-05 16:31
Hermit

Hi Guys.

I made a flow-chart for the player-routine of actual svn version SW (player.asm).

Hopefully it's easier to understand its workings and it will be a good help (preferably printed out) to me or others who might have optimization ideas for the player...

http://sourceforge.net/p/sid-wizard/code/99/tree/trunk/document..

As a next step I'll improve the sound-starting and optimize some rows in the code which turned out to be unnecessary.

2012-08-30 12:33
Hermit

All known/reported issues fixed, some extras (being) added, testing phase, adjusting documentation, assembling disk-sets.
Planned release for SW1 100% version: Friday 31 August 2012 :)
(exactly at svn revision 100 ; It might be the luckiest day to play lottery once in my life... :)
2012-08-30 14:54
robozz

Actually, there are still some bugs left that could be fixed:
* I keep hearing clicking sounds when the music is playing with channels turned off (and there is notedata in the pattern) the same clicking occurs when selecting a new instument (+/- keys)
* $d017 and $d01c is never initialized.

The following is perhaps not a bug, but in the instrument panel tables (F7) the previous position of the cursor is never saved when using the ctrl-key, it is always at top left. It would ofcourse be much better if it was saved.

About the manual, I had to look in the source code to find certain keys, since neither channel on/off (shift+1/2/3) nor pulse/filter reset on instr. notestart (cbm+P/F) is mentioned there.

Finally, regarding the use of the space key. I think this key is better suited to delete notes/data, it it more "standard" :) having to use key 1 or A just seems awkward. Also there should be a much clearer indication of which mode is active, the slow vs. fast flickering is almost indistinguishable.
2012-08-30 19:02
Hermit

hi robozz

1. Leticia alse told me about the clicks on 6581 chip, but after some investigation I found out this is the filter-switching and cannot be avoidable. It wasn't an issue with tunes/trackers that only used 1 cannel permanently for filter. If you use 6581 where this click is much stronger you shouldn't mix filtered/unfiltered instruments on one channel. Further clicks can be heard if the instrument-table switches filter-type (lo/band/hi), and what's more: sudden cutoff-changes cause clicks too. Instrument-selection now initializes tables, that's why the click on 6581 chip when alternating between filtered/non-filtered instruments.
That's coming from hardware, I cannot do anything with it, but maybe some experienced 6581 composers can tell great ideas/workarounds for that...i use 8580 and clicks are slight. Just in case, I made big-FX $1F toggle filt-external bit of SID, but it has effect on SID-noise only, doesn't play role in the clicking.
-There were clicks in the RC version caused by the strong/staccato hard-restart-type (forcing testbit on HR frames), but it's switchable and much less used now in the demotunes (at svn) as HR improved meanwhile.

2. Thanks for notifying me that VIC initialization is incomplete. I'll take care of that with $d017 ard $d01c.

3. Well, CTRL between instrument tables was intended to be like this. But as it's important for you and might be important for others I'll try to improve it, not much memory overhead, just some more bytes to buffer cursor-positions...

4. I wonder how I could forget to mention those really important key-combinations (mute, Pulse/Filter-reset on/off), but I'll include them asap in the manual. Also some other details need to be fixed in the manual, like bigFX $0F, some added extras (e.g. bigFX $1F), and HerMIDI status.

5. About SPACE: I think it's used in many programs to toggle edit/jam (FT2,GT), I wouldn't change it in this release, or can you suggest an alternative key which would suit better? Luckily the key-routines can easily be edited in jump-tables of the source-code.
I'll sort out something to sign the 'edit'/'jam' modes better. Could you suggest something? changing border colour might be too strong, maybe I'd make bigger difference in cursor-blinking (i didn't want to give rushed feel with fast blinking cursor), or colourize something else on the screen...
I selected key 1 an A, which are not note-keys as 'delete without moving the rest back' because there was no key left after used back-space for 'deletion with moving the rest back'. Maybe C= + Delete should be freed up for this (which currently deletes instrument+FX on a row)
2012-08-30 20:31
robozz

Hello.

(about the clicking)

Ok, that explains it a little better, I switched from 6581 to 8580 in VICE
and the clicking disappeared! :)
But it would ofcourse be better to be able to use the editor even with 6581 :)
I still don't quite understand why there should be clicking noises when the
channel itself is completely turned off, can't you just bypass all writes to
the filter registers?

Quote:
Well, CTRL between instrument tables was intended to be like this.

I figured that since positions get saved when you switch between the pattern
window and all the other tables (instrument, orderlist, chord and tempo) there's
really no reason for it not to behave the same way in the instrument tables.

Quote:
About SPACE: I think it's used in many programs to toggle edit/jam (FT2,GT), I wouldn't change it in this release, or can you suggest an alternative key which would suit better?
Left arrow maybe? it's unused as far as I can tell.
The way I see it, the purpose with the jamming mode must be to not allow editing, right? This only works as long as you place the cursor in the first column (where the notes are) If you type any hex values in the other columns, or in the instrument tables, it doesn't work.
One thing that stands out with this editor compared to some others I know of
is that note jamming is always on even though you're in "edit mode" so to speak.
so what's the purpose of the jamming mode? :)
2012-08-31 23:24
Hermit

Here we go...
SID-Wizard V1.0

Further development will be based on recent feedbacks (collected in source/TODO.txt) and upcoming feedbacks... I won't promise to be fast but i think I'm not the only one suffering from small amount of free hobby hours...

Let's test now by making tunes ;)
2012-09-01 21:49
Stainless Steel

I'd love to give it a try, but i'm severely struggling with the keyboard layout (i'm sdi hardwired).

I read that the keyboardlayout can be customized, how about a sdi layout ? :-D

2012-09-02 08:11
Hermit

Hi,
I checked SDI layout... it's very different system but you're right, "source/include/keyboard.inc" contains a jumptable around row100 where key-functions can easily be exchanged before assembling...
But in this case it's not very simple, I found some SDI keyboard-commands that don't have a substitute yet in SID-Wizard and would require some additional code too (which will be useful till memory allows it). On the other hand there are some functions in SID-Wizard that wouldn't have too much remaining obvious key-combinations if some keys were occupied for SDI (or other kind of) layout. (I designed the original keyset is very carefully to be usable in VICE as well.)
Anyway, I'll include this in the 'source/TODO.txt', and if free-time allows it at the end we'll have a switch in 'source/settings.cfg' to change keyboard configurations (GMC/DMC/JCH/X-SID/SDI/etc.) at least partially...
(As long-term plans the colour-scheme and keyboard-layout, etc. should be configured/preselected in the running application...)
thx for the tip...
2012-09-02 10:40
tlr

Tiny patch to fix and extend relocation range in the sid-maker: sw10_export_range.patch
2012-09-02 11:28
Hermit

Thanx, tlr... it surprised me that $0200 is a valid export-location but maybe it's used in demos and I was unaware about this. (I never needed to go below $0800 with music:)

Yesterday on real c64 I found that on REAL C64 the keyboard-handling in SID-Maker skips over relocator-setting. This is probably due to the bouncing-noise of C64 button when pressed, and a small button-noise-debouncing delay (some milliseconds) should be added there.
Conclusion: I should never upload C64 release before testing it THOROUGHLY on the real stuff. I learned that now. In VICE the buttons were noiseless, and there it worked properly (and therefore fooled me it doesn't need delay). This will be the 1st thing I'll fix in the svn version.

If you'd like to participate in the development with codes like this one, you're welcome. If you think so, e-mail me to my new address hermit@hermit.netne.net and we'll grant you write-permission for the svn trunk...

thx again ;)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
grennouille
Andy/AEG
MaD ][/Starship
CreaMD/React
Knut Clausen/SHAPE/F..
Guests online: 84