Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Composing > SID-Wizard - further development
2012-07-08 16:59
Hermit

SID-Wizard - further development

Hi

I opened this new thread to discuss upcoming ideas for SID-Wizard which I released on 7 July.
SID-Wizard V1.0 RC

As you can see the source code is entirely shared, so you might contribute to the code yourself in some way if you wish.

As a starting point I'll try to make a sketch of the whole code-structure which might help to find parts of the program.
Soci gave some ideas which I think will be described soon in this topic.

thx for your great feedbacks

... 47 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2012-07-19 03:47
TSM

What about adding support for 1351 mice?
2012-07-19 09:04
Frantic

tsm_carmine: Ahh.. That is the kind of comment that makes me happy that I never released my own music editor. Feels so good! :)
2012-07-19 14:14
Hermit

Why not... last year Clarence mentioned this to me too. Maybe me or someone else will try to add mouse-support.
One thing should be solved 1st, the multiplexing of the remaining cursor sprite...
2012-07-20 10:43
Frantic

Sorry if I somehow gave a negative impression. My own laziness obviously doesn't have anything to do with your project of releasing a new nice music editor. It is good that you feel the energy pumping through your coder fingers. :) Thumbs up for the effort!

I guess I was also thinking about how Cadaver was constantly bombed with requests for new features in GoatTracker.

One nice thing about having mouse support may be that, although in the first instance it may be implemented with traditional usage in mind that relates to the GUI, it may later turn out to be a nice way of interfacing with the music when playing live in ways that was not anticipated at first. (E.g. adding an offset to filter cutoff when moving in the X-axis and adding an offset to filter freq when moving in the Y-axis, or so).

Nice graphical flowchart you posted here in the thread by the way. Is it done in some particular program which produces precisely this kind of charts‚ or did you rather "paint" it in a general purpose graphical editor?
2012-07-20 13:40
Hermit

Hi.
I didn't feel any negative about your comment at all, I like to hear ideas and hints :) I'm an objective person who says exactly what thinks, and whenever there's emotional content it would be seen clearly, I never hide my emotions behind my sentences.
I really think mouse support is a good idea since Clarence told me, and a starting point is to have enough sprites on the effective screen by multiplexing. That's all I thought.

The picture above is a 'Source Dependency Tree' or the like, not a flowchart. The lookout is UML but not really following the rules of UML. I made it on paper first, then drew manually with Dia which is cross-platform and free.
I'm making a flow-chart for the player with this Dia tool as it turns out to be fine for that task. You can check it out at SID-Wizard sourceforge code's '/trunk/document/' folder (not complete yet at this moment).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sid-wizard/
I want to see the flow-chart of my own player code to find out what to improve (e.g. HR).

I want to make it easier to join to the further development if anyone wants to participate. Our brain can understand the system easier & faster visually...
2012-07-20 14:18
chatGPZ

Quote:
One nice thing about having mouse support may be that, although in the first instance it may be implemented with traditional usage in mind that relates to the GUI, it may later turn out to be a nice way of interfacing with the music when playing live in ways that was not anticipated at first. (E.g. adding an offset to filter cutoff when moving in the X-axis and adding an offset to filter freq when moving in the Y-axis, or so).

it might also be useful to enter commands in the tracker.... eg when the tune is playing, moving the mousewheel puts filter freq or cutoff commands into the pattern.
2012-07-20 15:29
Hermit

Anyway, for that use the HerMIDI interface will be useful when it gets finalized, because it filters and sends pitch/volume/expression/mod-wheel MIDI messages towards C64. Actually it might give better control for sound parameters than a mouse. Mouse's main advantage would be easier window navigation, but may be a very unique tool for sound-controlling too.
Btw, if the live-performance as such will be a need, I'd suggest a special separate executable which would be specified for live-performance (like using C64 as monophonic synthesizer, what MSSIAH does already quite fine involving CC knobs.). Coding a 'Monosynth'-like application which loads SWI instruments and makes it possible to select/play them with MIDI even without GUI, could be an easy task using the existing code in the editor and player...I had this plan in mind before...but not sure if free time allows it in the near future...
2012-07-22 14:33
Adam

hi hermit.. sid-wizard is excellent. i look forward to the next release =D
2012-07-23 02:51
iLKke

Forgive me for potentially being sub-leet, but how about providing an alternative to C64's "2 cursors 1 shift" for general navigation?
I know one can always use an emulator but that sort of defeats the purpose of a native program.
2012-07-23 07:50
Hermit

Hi. I'm afraid there are not enough free keys on C64 to use 4 of them in one place for cursor-navigation. Or do you have an idea which keys could be used for that purpose?
If we would approach with A,D,S,W keys, three of them are used as note-keys which are more important IMO. In (the sourceforge svn version) keyhandler.inc source file has a jump-table which can be modified and you can play around with different keysets. In SID-Wizard I tried to carefully select the keys so they can be used easily on real and emulated hardware too...
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
New Design/Excess
Eryk/Chrome
Twoflower/ΤRIΛD
cba
GH/dSr/Focus/MSL/Too..
zabutom