Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Current standards for Db entries (any and all)
2019-02-22 10:41
Radd Maxx

Current standards for Db entries (any and all)

From the top: I dont want this place to be a free-for-all, Yes I am open to another database where all unique programs are cataloged but nobody wants to turn CSDb into that. LEAST OF ALL ME.

That said, I would like a frank hammering out of what constitutes a Db entry and what does not. And not because I'm trying to start a fight or because I'm apparently a blind idiot, but because some people tell me to STOP while others tell me to GO and I cant be the only person who feels a little caught up in the middle of this?? Particularly when there are bullshit grade school level threats and insults involved. Here's what I'm open to doing: WHATEVER THE FUCK IT IS YOU WANT as long as you put it HERE IN PUBLIC so I can have something to point to when someone tells me to STOP when someone else told me to GO.

Some of you are very nice and will send me well wishes for this and apologies for that. Please, I appreciate it but I would much more appreciate a clarification of the rules and to not use ME in some proxy-war HORSE SHIT.

Now to the best of my understanding, the following is what I have been told to be true, although I have gotten conflicting information and requests from people who should fucking know better.

Allowed: Credited cracks which includes anything that's an unauthorized modification of a product or release by a someone who claims to be or is believed to be or maybe-was-a-wanna-be member of "the scene". So this includes the shittiest freeze cracks you can imagine as long as they're CREDITED. This is the key to whether something makes it onto the boat or not. Because yes, sweet Virginia, we ALL KNOW WHAT A FUCKING FREEZE CRACK IS. Either they are ALLOWED or they are NOT. I dont give A SINGLE FUCK either way. I have every freeze crack in fucking existence!!! I have a fucking freeze crack for almost every FUCKING GAME and TOOL there is. I dont fucking need them and I sure as FUCK do not make a Db entry of a freeeze crack for my FUCKING HEALTH or becuase I'm TOO FUCKING STUPID TO KNOW WHAT A PROPER, FUCKING, CRACK IS. I and everyone else knows what a FUCKING freeze crack looks like. Are credited freeze cracks ok or are the not?

Also allowed: Any kind of tool or utility IF it doesnt have a matching scene release in the Db. If that is not the case well then that's great. That's FABULOUS. Just say what is proper so I quit getting SHIT BALLS tossed at me. Have I had enough? Have I eaten enough shit sandwiches yet?? I dont give a fuck if you're nice to me, you can kiss my WHOLE ass, but I'm not going to let you hide behind me and let me be your fucking shield, that is fucking LOW and cowardly. I'm hopeful that if the rules are cleared up that shit will stop.
2019-02-22 10:56
Krill

Cool story bro.

But some more context would be nice, like what kind of stuff of yours was rejected, so we can better guess the probable reasons.
2019-02-22 11:07
Radd Maxx

This isnt about anything that got rejected. This is about me (and probably others) being used as a football. I'm sure a clarification of the rules will resolve that.
2019-02-22 11:10
Krill

That's a non-verifiable claim/opinion lacking any backing records. Again, would be cool to have something to look at to know what the problem is.
2019-02-22 11:21
hedning

<Post edited by hedning on 22/2-2019 11:21>

From all that I could sort out one question: "Are credited freeze cracks ok or are the not?"

Yes. I've added a lot of credited freeze cracks from well known groups. Most of the guys in the 80ies started with that, so sure, it's part of the scene, like it or not. As stated here: https://csdb.dk/crackstandards.php : "Cracks that should be excluded are simple freeze-cracks without any tag".

If I may ask: Is there some specific guy that pissed you off?
2019-02-22 11:21
Radd Maxx

I'm sorry Krill, I dont think I can give you what you're looking for. I'm venting at an idea more than a person. I have no animosity for anyone specific or for a specific event. I'm sorry for all the fucking's and what-not. I guess it was just bottled up. Please dont think that I'm a 100% sane person because I certainly am not.
2019-02-22 11:25
Radd Maxx

Well I think that I'm just about ready to come full circle on this and proclaim myself the boogie man. I apologize, I am clearly not thinking straight.
2019-02-22 11:25
Krill

One thing that grinded my gears a little was that brief attempt at forbidding releases written in BASIC. The originating moderator got quite a bit of justified backlash and soon backpedalled, however.
2019-02-22 11:27
Count Zero

At least some fuckin friday action to follow :)
2019-02-22 11:31
Radd Maxx

I really am sorry if I made anyone feel singled out. I love everyone here and I mean that. I cant be mad anymore with you guys making me feel guilty. One of these days I'll learn that people dont know what's going on in my head and I wont make assumptions.
2019-02-22 11:52
Radd Maxx

Quote: From all that I could sort out one question: "Are credited freeze cracks ok or are the not?"

Yes. I've added a lot of credited freeze cracks from well known groups. Most of the guys in the 80ies started with that, so sure, it's part of the scene, like it or not. As stated here: https://csdb.dk/crackstandards.php : "Cracks that should be excluded are simple freeze-cracks without any tag".

If I may ask: Is there some specific guy that pissed you off?

Yes it was a specific person that set me off in a sense, but it's not anyone who I or you should give half a shit about. I certainly didnt need to take it out on EVERYONE. I didnt even realize how all this sounded until Krill read it. I am a pretty big idiot.
2019-02-22 12:13
chatGPZ

Last time i suggested making better rules and defining clearly what certain things are supposed to be... oh well. Don't go there. Spare your energy for picking your nose - you'll get better results.
2019-02-22 12:25
hedning

Quote: Last time i suggested making better rules and defining clearly what certain things are supposed to be... oh well. Don't go there. Spare your energy for picking your nose - you'll get better results.

Or instead of picking your nose you could upload screenshots to go with your Forum64 finds?
2019-02-22 12:30
Raistlin

If this is a scene database, as the name suggests, shouldn't it just store everything scene related?

So, if someone releases shit, let them - it looks bad on their group and themselves if someone freeze-cracks in the 21st century.

If someone finds a freezed copy of a game on a scener's disk and there's no credit on that copy or a way to determine who "cracked" it - it's surely not a "scene release" so should be ignored?

If a scener writes a demo in BASIC, it's still a scene release... if a cracker cracks a game made in BASIC, likewise IMO.

If someone draws a Koala picture and insists on releasing a copy of it for all to see every 5 minutes ..... then I guess that's technically a scene release. Sure, they never would've (hopefully), sent out a floppy of each revision of their picture back in the day ... but the method of delivery of a release is immaterial - sadly, in a lot of ways, it's now incredibly easy to make a release with almost no cost to the person releasing ... so we're going to see more shit. Whether all these revisions of these pictures should appear on the "Latest Releases" list on CSDB, I don't know ... it's annoying as hell - but, really, what're you going to do? Make more red tape?
2019-02-22 13:02
Radd Maxx

Oh god, well if I can be permitted to join the conversation as a sane person and not a ranting idiot, there are other ways of receiving feedback on what you post here that you get from all over the place, and a lot of it is conflicting, but the main sticking points are:

Credited freeze cracks, are they allowed (apparently yes, which is what I already believed) and Tools, be they cracked or not, releases or not, is it an "all tools are welcome" situation (which honestly I dont know).

I had someone make one too many snide-ass remarks at me (not here) and I vented at all of you. I am not holding a gun to CSDb's head and demanding rules. I'm a MORON who let his anger get the better of him. I thought this would come off as funny, or something? I have no idea now.
2019-02-22 13:08
chatGPZ

Quote:
Or instead of picking your nose you could upload screenshots to go with your Forum64 finds?

I am totally acting according to the rules that you are still unable to clearify. no more no less. QED

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.
2019-02-22 13:10
Krill

Pretty sure humanity has already reached the tech-level of auto-generating emulator screenshots and defaulting to those should the uploader fail to provide their own. *french shrug with lots of spit missiles*
2019-02-22 13:12
hedning

Quote: Quote:

I am totally acting according to the rules that you are still unable to clearify. no more no less. QED

There's no politically correct term for 'fucking idiot'.

I know. I have just been asking nicely. But sure. I'll help you.
2019-02-22 13:15
chatGPZ

Yeah wont happen anytime soon, like so many things. It'd be fairly easy to implement indeed.

x64 -default -warp -VICIIfilter 0 -VICIIextpal -VICIIpalette colodore -exitscreenshot default.png -limitcycles 10000000 bla.prg

(use SDL version with "dummy" renderer on server without X)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
eryngi
Guests online: 105
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)