Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > VERSION TRACKING RELEASES
2020-01-29 05:11
ZIG

VERSION TRACKING RELEASES

Is there any way to track software versions?

1. On any release see links to the previous and later versions of the release (if any)

2. A link to just go to the latest version

3. A checkbox? for a signed-in user to be able to 'follow' a release

4. The ability for a signed-in user to get notifications on a new version of a release.

Think about all the tools that we use getting regular updates that would be great to just 'know' is updated. 64 Debugger, Vice, SidWizard,

Maybe some smartarse can make 'apt-get update csdb' that just downloads new releases direct to your C64 over the wifi modem...

Much love
Zig.

... 7 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-01-29 09:36
Count Zero

A versioned release even?

Any tracking will not lead to deletion of incomplete or pre-versioned releases as long as they comply to the rules. Also I think such linking/tagging/flagging could easily lead to people who think their github preview project needs regular updates HERE. Would be a wrong thought for sure.

I see a possible need for yearly or irregularly updated tools and such - it's up to you though wether you want the latest and hottest or stick to whats stable for you though.
2020-01-29 09:52
Golara
Account closed

Quote: A versioned release even?

Any tracking will not lead to deletion of incomplete or pre-versioned releases as long as they comply to the rules. Also I think such linking/tagging/flagging could easily lead to people who think their github preview project needs regular updates HERE. Would be a wrong thought for sure.

I see a possible need for yearly or irregularly updated tools and such - it's up to you though wether you want the latest and hottest or stick to whats stable for you though.

I think we all know that nothing will change on csdb itself, if anything, such repo would be just a mirror of what we have here. I think having a HVSC style package with all the releases on csdb would be neat, even without the versioning.
2020-01-29 10:48
ZIG

Quoting Golara
I think we all know that nothing will change on csdb itself, if anything, such repo would be just a mirror of what we have here. I think having a HVSC style package with all the releases on csdb would be neat, even without the versioning.

This is true... It would be awesome to make a frontend on it etc - Mind you, it would be huge! If you think HSVC is big. Yikes.
2020-01-29 15:37
Golara
Account closed

Quote: Quoting Golara

This is true... It would be awesome to make a frontend on it etc - Mind you, it would be huge! If you think HSVC is big. Yikes.

Still tiny considering the size of a modern database. I think someone with experience in that could make a small script that would just download ALL the releases here. Problem is that there no set standard for what kind of files are released. Some have just the d64, others have a ZIP containing more than one d64, others tar.gz. Some releases have additional files not neccessary for the release itself (a separate noter for example).
2020-01-29 16:37
Digger

See my post Opensourcing CSDb
We could do this in minutes xD
2020-01-29 17:14
TheRyk

Popup:
Trackmo Foo 47% was updated to 74% Version,
Crack Blabla by TheSuperLamas flagged broken and 100% version released,
ToolForFool V0.987 alpha now available.

Wanna download all that crap YES/NO

/o\ Call me oldskewl, but I think rather not
2020-01-29 19:49
Count Zero

Quoting TheRyk
/o\ Call me oldskewl

I think rather not :O

*SCNR*
2020-01-29 20:52
ZIG

Quoting TheRyk
Popup:
Trackmo Foo 47% was updated to 74% Version,
Crack Blabla by TheSuperLamas flagged broken and 100% version released,
ToolForFool V0.987 alpha now available.

Wanna download all that crap YES/NO

/o\ Call me oldskewl, but I think rather not

See point 3 - you need to subscribe to updates

And yes I would much rather see an updated csdb release than lame social media updates

I say RSS that shit!!!
2020-01-30 18:55
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting ZIG
omg, didn't think of that but yes, would make sense of a lot of related releases! [snip]
Use the release category: "Related Release". Not sure how this links to any of the other versions of a certain release since you can't add the related release id, but I'm sure there's some magic happening when using this category. :-)
2020-01-30 19:22
TheRyk

ZIG agreed regarding it makes more sense than any additional anti-social stalking function (current voting fulfils function to proiduce enough drama), and if it the idea's optional, go ahead. RSS ain't never a bad idea.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
Quetzal/Chrome
Krill/Plush
pcollins/Quantum
CreaMD/React
Guests online: 127