Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > 20th Anniversary CSDb logo
2021-12-02 11:02
Conrad

20th Anniversary CSDb logo

<Post edited by moderator on 2/12-2021 12:01>

It won't be that long until CSDb becomes 20 years old.

Would be cool if the CSDb logo / backdrop was updated to feature "20th Anniversary" ... and perhaps make the logo more based on C64 gfx rather than the dated imdb/Impact font style.

Any graphicans up for the challenge?
2021-12-02 12:15
zscs

-+<|[zscs]|>+-
Create a new compo/event on this? :-)

An idea: best entries could be selected and switched randomly at every page load like on site pouet.net.
2021-12-02 12:54
CreaMD

2021-12-02 14:03
Conrad

I've knocked up a compo text and I would like you (CreaMD / zscs / others) to see if it's worth it. ... any questions / suggestions, fire away! :)

Would be good if Perff can have a look too, as this will require some web-code changes. ;)

----

CSDb 20th Anniversary backdrop graphics competition
---------------------------------------------------

General Rules of each compo category:
=====================================
- The graphics needs to be drawn for C64 using your favourite painter. Both native and cross-platform are allowed.
- All releases should be able to run up on a C64 / Vice emulator.
- All releases should be in .prg or .d64 format only. Make sure it runs from BASIC.
- Please keep to the typical 16 colours of the C64 VIC. Plus4 / C128 palettes not allowed.
- Please DO NOT add .jpegs / .bmps / .pngs / .gifs / other graphics formats not related to C64. These will be removed.
- Please keep to the size limits described in each category. Anything that breaks these rules will be put in "outside compo".
- The graphics is for the purpose of updating the CSDb website. Anything that is completely irrelevant to C64 (personal pictures / jokes / political statements / abuse) will be removed.
- It needs to blend with the dark-theme of the website, so no white/coloured background if you can help it.

Rules for the (CSDb) Logo compo:
================================
- It must contain the case-sensitive letters: "CSDb". "C-64 Scene Database" is optional.
- It can be any C64 graphical format you wish.
- Maximum Height: 53 pixels.
- Minimum Width: 108 (hi-res) pixels.
- Maximum Width: 220 (hi-res) pixels.

Rules for the (20th Anniversary) Wild compo:
============================================
- It obviously needs to be graphics... anything else will be disqualified / removed.
- It must describe "20th Anniversary" in whatever fashion/design you wish.
- Maximum Height: 53 pixels.
- Width needs to be 200 (hi-res) pixels maximum ... this is due to the minimum size layout of the webpage.

Rules for the (Backdrop) Graphics compo:
========================================
- The backdrop graphics ideally should be a collage of C64 demos / graphics, as seen in the original backdrop designed by the NoName staff.
- Maximum Height: 62 pixels.
- Minimum Width: 320 (hi-res) pixels, the same as the Hi-res screen width of the C64.
- Maximum Width: 640 (hi-res) pixels.
- If over 320 pixels, put the other half underneath the first half, or (preferably) get your favourite coder to make a VSP scroll screen for your release.

-------

Depending on how many entries are submitted for each category, the top 10 from each will be shown randomly on the top of the website, like you see with the logo selection on pouet.net. If the amount of entries is less than 10, all of them will be shown.

The original backdrop / logo will be still be shown randomly, for the sake of history and nostalgia.

The deadline will be midnight of the 28th December 2021. Final voting will end on the 31st December 2021.

The voting system is yet to be discussed. In the meantime, use the voting system provided for releases, and please be sensible. ;)

All selected releases will be converted to the image formats used for the webpage. No alterations will be made and the most desirable C64 colour palette will be used. The images will be online from the beginning of January 2022.
2021-12-02 14:57
CreaMD

Most important thing is, that design of this site isn't aimed at similar experience as Pouet. Yes if your compo is successful, Perff will end up with bunch of logos that he can alternate in the top right corner and bunch of backdrops to be alternated on the left in header. He will probably have to remake header buttons to alpha transparent png's though. I wonder if he still has the original files around to make the necessary changes. And as you mentioned, you will probably have to ask Perff for his blessing ;-).

For logo. Ok, size constraints and need for executable is acceptable, although quite limiting. As you can see curent logo ocupies the complete required space it fits the spirit of current design and ideas of original creator of design.

I don't understand the need for wild compo. If the result is not C64 executable, obviously it can't be submitted here. You will have to organize the compo outside the CSDB. Maybe the compo should be about making a new "skin/color/css scheme" for CSDB, but then it wouldn't be a C64 compo at all either. Of course, it's intriguing idea to have new skin for CSDB (I think Jailbird was succesfully playing with the idea in past) but there is technical limitation to that as site has many features and areas and it's html layout is probably tightly intertwined with code and not having enough unique identifiers to aim designers touches precisely enough to avoid breaking changes somewhere else (I'm just guessing her e though)

For backdrop, I don't think it's convenient to use C64 editors to make collages of C64 gfx. Of course someone can make it in crossplattform tools and then convert back to C64. Fade out gradient can be simulated by css overlay easily but then why constraint for 640px. The width can go anywhere from 640 to width of the monitor. Another problem is, that backdrop was initially meant like soft touch in the design, it wasn't meant to be prominent part of the site, that's why it's so dark. With C64 palette it will scream in the header of this site and it will probably collide with current color scheme (buttons color).

You did a good job to make rules, but I wonder if they aren't too perfect to spoil the fun. I don't know.

For reference for others, you are talking about replacing of those two files:
https://csdb.dk/gfx/csdb_topgfx.jpg
https://csdb.dk/gfx/csdb-logo.gif
2021-12-02 15:19
Conrad

Thanks for your feedback, Roman. :)

Quote:

For logo. Ok, size constraints and need for executable is acceptable, although quite limiting. As you can see curent logo ocupies the complete required space it fits the spirit of current design and ideas of original creator of design.

It certainly is a limit, especially when an extra image for "20th Anniversary" will be placed on the left of it. ;) But hey, it's a challenge. :)

Quote:

I don't understand the need for wild compo.

It's mainly because you can't really customise the name of the compo categories, so I chose the nearest one... besides, this category is for something that may not be displayed after 1 year or so.

Quote:

If the result is not C64 executable, obviously it can't be submitted here. You will have to organize the compo outside the CSDB. Maybe the compo should be about making a new "skin/color/css scheme" for CSDB, but then it wouldn't be a C64 compo at all either. Of course, it's intriguing idea to have new skin for CSDB (I think Jailbird was succesfully playing with the idea in past) but there is technical limitation to that as site has many features and areas and it's html layout is probably tightly intertwined with code and not having enough unique identifiers to aim designers touches precisely enough to avoid breaking changes somewhere else (I'm just guessing her e though)

This was why I specified it as C64 runnable in the general rules.
As for skin/css redesign, this compo isn't really about that. It's more about updating the images on top and keeping what we currently have without doing any dramatic changes to the code / CSS styling. (We had many years to get that sorted, but to no success!)

Quote:

Another problem is, that backdrop was initially meant like soft touch in the design, it wasn't meant to be prominent part of the site, that's why it's so dark. With C64 palette it will scream in the header of this site and it will probably collide with current color scheme (buttons color).

I agree completely, but I didn't want to state this in the compo text in case graphicans would be put off by the fact that their graphics will be altered. Nevertheless, one can still view the original untouched graphics from the entires in the compo. ;)

Quote:

For reference for others, you are talking about replacing of those two files:
https://csdb.dk/gfx/csdb_topgfx.jpg
https://csdb.dk/gfx/csdb-logo.gif

Yes, with the addition of a new image for the 20th Anniversary badge/logo.
2021-12-02 23:56
Conrad

Well? Anyone else? :)
2021-12-06 10:38
Conrad

Cancelled due to lack of interest. (a lot more more important events going on I guess)

Still, I would suggest some sort of badge / image at least. Or is it all pointless / uninteresting?
2021-12-06 13:55
Jammer

Uhm, is it only me or merely 4 days have passed since you announced it? ;) It's kinda dramatic to cancel event/request after hardly a couple of days. Give people time :)
2021-12-06 14:29
Conrad

Quote: Uhm, is it only me or merely 4 days have passed since you announced it? ;) It's kinda dramatic to cancel event/request after hardly a couple of days. Give people time :)

I know Tranmission live party was focused on the last few days, and now Richard / Didi came in with their ICC 2021 compo and that seemed to have got attention right away.

So, what would you do? ... especially on something that isn't technically C64.

Also note that it's a tight deadline.

sigh... I give up.
2021-12-06 14:35
Jammer

I don't see a problem in making it regular C64 gfx compo with executable pics as main entries. Some big pixels on main CSDb page will surely look lovely! :)

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Durandal
Dave/SIDNIFY
Shake/Role
Guests online: 131
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)