Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > wandere deleats warez from others!!
2005-12-27 15:17
stash
Account closed

wandere deleats warez from others!!

wtf is this. i was browsing the SWA side i found out that this
pig wanderer has deleted all of our uploaded warez.. for what reason are u so incompetent to do a demo to rag back on crudsmoker or what is ur problem.. stay away take this as a wrning,,

and to the csdb admns why don´t any one do something about this when people start deleting other peoples stuff??

... 176 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-01-09 12:52
Crossfire
Account closed

Quote: Someone hacked csdb, deleted locked entries, and got away with it. No thanks.

Captures it all really.

People support this site, why can't this site support the people?

Hm, it seems to me that people are completely forgetting that csdb, atleast as far as I know, is run by people who are volunteers, meaning they run it in their sparetime and do NOT get paid for it.

If the database is such a problem, why don't you then simply offer a better solution? There might be a problem with the database, well, then simply solve it. Stop blaming people for their nice initiatives ;-)

To me, all csdb does IS support the people - the people of the C64 scene and those others interested in it.
2006-01-09 13:03
Jazzcat

Crossfire, when you're a moderator for a website you have certain responsibilities.

As nice as the moderators are on this database, they're quite weak in their reactions to certain events.

2006-01-09 13:14
stash
Account closed

and using different ip numbers aint hard just logg in from another computer and there u go a new ip.. so how hard can it be

2006-01-09 19:49
Crossfire
Account closed

Quote: Crossfire, when you're a moderator for a website you have certain responsibilities.

As nice as the moderators are on this database, they're quite weak in their reactions to certain events.

My point was simply that I think showing a little appreciation for once was overdue - think of all the manhours they've put into creating this database, don't just bark orders at them for trying to create a good forum. Do like anybody else in the world; if you don't like it, don't visit it.

If people all in all cannot act properly, they could just take the whole thing down, and none of us would have gotten anywhere..

Appreciation - and simply lock your releases from now on!

Like I said, I'm not taking sides in this, but I think attacking the maintainers for this, is really watching it get out of hand (as if it didn't a long time ago)
2006-01-09 20:20
Jazzcat

Well, it is not actually attacking the admin, it is more asking them to do their job a bit more. This isn't the first time all of this has happened. Something needs to be done otherwise it will keep happening.

In regards to locking releases, yes - this is done, but when the user also hacks an account that maintains the locked release? These actions call for harsh penalties and allowing someone who violates these simple moral obligations to continue unpunished is a bit too weak in my and other people's opinions.
2006-01-09 20:54
Zyron

Quote:
think of all the manhours they've put into creating this database

I've spent an enormous amount of time here uploading releases, typing credits, correcting/completing entries, connecting groups with sceners' & figuring out connections between old & new handles through scrolltext reading etc so when I once again see entries getting deleted without any further conseqeuences it worries me alot.
So I'm on a hold at the moment.
2006-01-09 22:11
Wanderer
Account closed

Quote: Well, it is not actually attacking the admin, it is more asking them to do their job a bit more. This isn't the first time all of this has happened. Something needs to be done otherwise it will keep happening.

In regards to locking releases, yes - this is done, but when the user also hacks an account that maintains the locked release? These actions call for harsh penalties and allowing someone who violates these simple moral obligations to continue unpunished is a bit too weak in my and other people's opinions.

>and allowing someone who violates these simple moral
>obligations to continue unpunished is a bit too weak in my
>and other people's opinions.

In order to punish someone, you need to know who to punish.

Let's pretend that I uploaded a demo called "Anti-Jazzcat".

Two days later it's deleted when I notice someone hacked into my email account. Another CSDB user came to your defense, without being asked, without provocation, and deleted it. They then messaged you to tell you about this. You appreciate the gesture although you know undoubtedly you will take the blame.

You mention in the forums that someone deleted it. You won't say whom. I then go around like a chicken without a head crying for justice.

Who do we punish? You - for refusing to name the person involved or the actual person who did it? Both?

Consider that you are not able to control other people's actions nor did you ask for them to do this. Unless I can prove that you : (a) asked somebody to delete a release (b) you were directly involved in said deletion, there is no point in my demanding justice.

What would I do? Say "Jazzcat knows who did it, or because he won't say it must have been him... yes, yes, yes!!! We must light the torches, grab the pitchforks and burn him at the stake".

No. I'm not responsible for anybody else deleting a release any more than you are. It's admirable how you're standing up for your Aussie friends, but your logic is coming from your ass.

Just as well, this thread and the others is dwindling.
2006-01-09 23:04
CreaMD

Quote: >and allowing someone who violates these simple moral
>obligations to continue unpunished is a bit too weak in my
>and other people's opinions.

In order to punish someone, you need to know who to punish.

Let's pretend that I uploaded a demo called "Anti-Jazzcat".

Two days later it's deleted when I notice someone hacked into my email account. Another CSDB user came to your defense, without being asked, without provocation, and deleted it. They then messaged you to tell you about this. You appreciate the gesture although you know undoubtedly you will take the blame.

You mention in the forums that someone deleted it. You won't say whom. I then go around like a chicken without a head crying for justice.

Who do we punish? You - for refusing to name the person involved or the actual person who did it? Both?

Consider that you are not able to control other people's actions nor did you ask for them to do this. Unless I can prove that you : (a) asked somebody to delete a release (b) you were directly involved in said deletion, there is no point in my demanding justice.

What would I do? Say "Jazzcat knows who did it, or because he won't say it must have been him... yes, yes, yes!!! We must light the torches, grab the pitchforks and burn him at the stake".

No. I'm not responsible for anybody else deleting a release any more than you are. It's admirable how you're standing up for your Aussie friends, but your logic is coming from your ass.

Just as well, this thread and the others is dwindling.

"No. I'm not responsible for anybody else deleting a release any more than you are. It's admirable how you're standing up for your Aussie friends, but your logic is coming from your ass."

At least his logic is not full of pretentious joviality covering the desperate urge to slip out of responsibility. ;-)
2006-01-09 23:12
CyberBrain
Administrator

I know what you're saying - we should have made an example out of him. Maybe we should, but the decision was already made 2 weeks ago so i think it is a bit too late to change it now (and in our experience this is a good way to deal with this kind of situation, unless the person is hostile - and as you see it has worked in this case aswell).
Maybe i didn't stress enough, that this was not just one more chance, this was his last chance.

I think it would be cowardly of us to change our old verdict to protect ourselves from public lynching - so we'll probably just go with the lynching. :/

Quoting Jazzcat

Someone hacked csdb, deleted locked entries, and got away with it. No thanks.
Captures it all really.
People support this site, why can't this site support the people?

Maybe we do. If you want, you can consider it damage control.
I would rather not explain this in more detail, but with a little knowledge of the net, it should be possible to figure out what i mean.

Perff is working on a system, to make CSDb much safer against this kind of stuff.
And let me tell you, his ideas sounds really cool. :)

There is much more that could be said about this, but let me just not.
In the future maybe we should ban immediately, no matter what.
2006-01-09 23:15
CyberBrain
Administrator

Quoting Wanderer
<snip>

Wanderer, i think enough has been said on this subject. You have allready said what you wanted to say.
Previous - 1 | ... | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Freeze/Blazon
da Blondie/Resource
Scooby/G★P/Light
Monte Carlos/Cascade
Guests online: 188
Top Demos