Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Spotting broken/missing files
2008-03-11 09:40
Mace

Spotting broken/missing files

At Ninja Commando + we discussed this:
Quote:
Submitted by Bordeaux [PM] on 11 March 2008
Well I have run into too many files that I had on my disk only to find later that when i checked csdb the fucking file was missing and/or it was broken which isn't obvious at first sight. So either make another way of marking a broken file so i can search for them in the database OR leave it in the filename. Unless it's against some rules here.

I'd have to agree a bit with this.
So perhaps we can make some 'rule' about how to take care of these things.
Like adding '[BROKEN FILE]' after the title?
Or perhaps a radio-button or something to indicate this fact?
2008-03-11 09:43
cba

A sort of status flag would be good, this way you can browse
for files that are broken.

2008-03-11 10:00
Zyron

What cba said, a check box like that should be quite easy to implement I believe.
2008-03-11 10:13
ready.

even more simple:
add it only to the file name you add in the link box.
It doesn't make sense to put it in the title, since today Bordeaux added a link with a broken file. Maybe tomorrow somebody could add another link to the same entry, but with a working file.

I would not use a tag to sign entries with broken files. One entry can have multiple download links, some of them might be broken, some might be good.
2008-03-11 10:37
Tim
Account closed

@ready -> Listen, the reason to mark the title as "broken" is simple. to attract attention of quite some people that have these wares too but only upload on request (and has proven to work on various uploads i did in the past). All you do is add a working version and remove the "*** broken... " part once you added another working version.

If there's a more posh way of adding a button, that's a bonus, but make it visible! It needs to show up when you use search that the file is missing/broken.

Why? A lot of people check their diskboxes against csdb and if they see a title pop up in 'search' they'll go on with the next one. I know, i've done it plenty of times before noticing csdb is not perfect ;)
2008-03-11 10:56
Mace

Quote:
Maybe tomorrow somebody could add another link to the same entry, but with a working file.
I would not use a tag to sign entries with broken files. One entry can have multiple download links, some of them might be broken, some might be good.

@ready.: it wouldn't make much sense to add a working file and keep te broken file, now would it?

In that case the entry is fixed and the tag can be removed.

Also, we are not talking about broken LINKS, we are talking about broken FILES. That's something totally different.
A broken link is a 404 error, a broken file is a file that can very well be downloaded but doesn't work.

We need a way to spot broken files quickly.
2008-03-11 22:21
Tim
Account closed

Same goes for this entry: The Bard's Tale II

Missing file.
2008-03-12 07:13
Marauder/GSS
Account closed

Agree that broken/missing files should be spotted easier, but misusing the title for it is just a *work-around* and not the correct way of using a database imho. What happens if you just want to execute a SQL to get a sorted list of titles, those entries would be maybe in incorrect place - depending on how you title them... (c;

Isn't it possible to show such entries BOLD and RED in the search-result for example, or even display them separated below the working releases then?
And also there should be an option to search for broken files in the combo-box above the search-inputbox, just to search for entries where the file is missing or have a reason -> 'There are no downloads because' (or a request-tag)???
Maybe a 'request'-checkbox/tag in the entry would be also nice...
2008-03-12 07:45
null
Account closed

Small suggestion: until there is a solution, shall we just post links to broken entries in this thread?

( also, doesn't work on emu != doesn't work on realthing, kthxbai )

------------------------------------
http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2008-03-12 09:54
Perff
Administrator

Sounds reasonable to add a "file dosn't work"-flag. Just not sure if it should be added to the release itself, or the individual download links? Perhaps the laster is best?
2008-03-12 10:27
Mace

Broken or not, all files with a release should hold the exact same data (except for the fucked up parts).
That said, what is the need to leave a broken file with a release, when a working file is available?
For this exact reason, you'd want that broken-file-flag in the first place!

So I'd say that a flag with the release would be enough.
Just remove the broken file when you found a working one.
And clear the broken-file-tag.
2008-03-12 11:40
Tim
Account closed

Quote: Broken or not, all files with a release should hold the exact same data (except for the fucked up parts).
That said, what is the need to leave a broken file with a release, when a working file is available?
For this exact reason, you'd want that broken-file-flag in the first place!

So I'd say that a flag with the release would be enough.
Just remove the broken file when you found a working one.
And clear the broken-file-tag.

Don't forget the most important thing: files showing up flagged 'broken' when searched in the search csdb top right corner!
2008-03-12 13:17
Perff
Administrator

Ok. Started working on this.

You can now flag any download link as "corrupted file". This can only be done from the edit page of a release, and hit the "edit"-button on each downloadlink. But as I guess this only something that happens rearly, I think it should be good enough.

I've made a new version of the disk-icon, which should look broken. :) This will be shown in front of releases instead of the normal disk-icon, where there exists only download links that are corrupted. These disk-icons have also been added to the normal search result. (Should do it for post #12)

On the browse page, there is now an additional check-box besides the disk-icon (broken). If you check that one off, only releases with only broken/corrupted links will be shown.

Hope that will do it. :)

PS. I havn't finished running through the code all places where the disk-icon is shown, and fixed it. Just so you know. :)
2008-03-12 13:40
Zyron

Awesome, this has been needed for some time already. Usually people mention in one of the comment fields if the file is broken. Is it possible to search the comments?
2008-03-12 13:47
Tim
Account closed

Awesome solution Perff!
Also changed these so that they are now correct.
Long Life +5
Kokotoni Wilf

I like the way it shows up during a search now too!
2008-03-12 14:23
Perff
Administrator

Sorry. There is no search comments feature. :/

Just made a quick search. Found only a few releases with comments about broken files: (Havn't checked them)
Quadrant Bust 2
Spitfire +
Varidan
Shackled +2F
Interlace Art 1
2008-03-12 14:46
Tim
Account closed

Quote: Sorry. There is no search comments feature. :/

Just made a quick search. Found only a few releases with comments about broken files: (Havn't checked them)
Quadrant Bust 2
Spitfire +
Varidan
Shackled +2F
Interlace Art 1

Checked the files and marked as not working
Quadrant Bust 2
Spitfire +
Interlace Art 1

Seem to have been fixed in the passed
Varidan
Shackled +2F
2008-03-12 17:39
Mace

I usually say it's "borked" when a file is broken... ;-)
Go hunt for that.
2008-03-12 18:43
Zyron

Other good search ideas might be "error", "doesn't work" & "fucked up". :)
2008-03-12 19:38
wreg
Account closed

vicejam :)
2008-03-13 09:29
Perff
Administrator

Good way to get me working: Send me a lot of requests that only I can do, because there is no user feature that can do it. :)

Well, now there is!
In a simple version so far, so there is no official link to it except this one:
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/search/comments.php
2008-03-13 09:49
Zyron

Great!
Does it search all fields (Summaries, User Comments, Production Notes, Goofs, Hidden Parts & Trivia)?
2008-03-13 10:12
Perff
Administrator

Yes. Actually they are not fields, but different types of comments, so yes.
You can now also search on author, so you can get all comments from a given user. Another old request.
Working on so that you can search on comments from groups and events as well. Should be working shortly.

Edit: Should work now. I also added "Comments" to the drop-down in the normal search-box in the top right corner, so there is a official way in to this new search-feature.
2008-03-13 11:21
Tim
Account closed

indeed it does work! thanks Perff!
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
wil
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
Bieno/Commodore Plus
JackAsser/Booze Design
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
Guests online: 116