Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > X 2014 Compo Setup and Voting
2014-10-05 22:17
Burglar

X 2014 Compo Setup and Voting

Dear Sceners,

Only a few weeks till X 2014 and we can't wait till we can party with all you 8 bit kings.
Time to share in depth details about compo setup and voting.

Competitions

As usual we have 3 exciting competitions for you: Music, Graphics and Demo.
All competitions will take place in the main room, so, not in the basement!

Our compo machines will consist of both an old (6581) and new (8580) c64 using a 1541U / 1541U2.
Make sure your entry works on a real machine (with 1541 diskdrive) as well.

Hand in Your Entries

Your entry must be delivered in person to Burglar/SCS*TRC (who will be the compo-master this X).
He will be available for everything concerning the competitions at the compo-machines near the big screen in the main hall.
Specifically on saturday between 10:00 and 16:00. Burglar will be available at other times as well to receive your entries, so make sure you find him in person.
He will enter your entry into the system while you wait!

- Deliver your entry on USB stick in .d64 (demo) or .prg (music+gfx).
- Only one entry per person per competition.
- State old or new sid.
- Make sure your entry works on a real machine with 1541U, but also with a real 1541 drive.
- Do not drop entries at the entrance or bar. It will only make sure your entry gets lost!

Competition Deadlines

Make sure you deliver your entry to Burglar before these deadlines:

14:00 Deadline Music Competition
14:00 Deadline Graphics Competition
16:00 Deadline Demo Competition

Voting

We're saying goodbye to the c64-based voting we've been using the last couple of parties.
Sadly it was too much hassle with votedisks, people not remembering entries and the time it took to complete voting.

Enter 2014, and we're going to have live voting with a local WiFi, so you can vote live with your phone, tablet or laptop.
Connection details will be shared at the party before all competitions. Please note that the WiFi will not be connected to the internet.

When you enter the partyplace you will receive your entrance bracelet, on this bracelet a unique number is printed and this will be your personal vote password.
With this number you will be able to register.
During each competition, the voting system will be updated live with the entries that are shown (including title, handle and/or group).
You have to vote from 1 star (lame entry) to 5 stars (awesome entry) for each tune, pic or demo.

After each competition, voting does not close until well after all competitions. You are free to review and changes your votes as you see fit.

Please do not up/downvote, be honest, it's only fair to all the participating people/groups who spent a lot of time creating these entries especially for you.

As this is the first time we use WiFi and live voting at X, we hope the WiFi can handle this many devices at once.

Handling WiFi Capacity Problems

In case the WiFi craps up, voting will be done in groups after each competition:

- This failover setup will be announced.
- Sceners will be asked to switch all their devices to offline/airline mode.
- Sceners with a bracelet number starting with 0 will be the first group to vote.
- Then sceners with a number starting with 1, then 2, etc.

Frequently Asked Questions

- I don't have a WiFi capable device, how can I vote?

Really? Ask a friend to lend you a device.

- I can't make up my mind during the competition, I want to vote after, can I?

Yes you can!

- Why the 1/5 star rating only, why not 1/10?

We try to avoid up and downvoting, but we also want to know what you think about it, please do not hesitate to share your views in this thread.

- I misvoted! What now?!

Simply delete the vote and retry.

Closing Word

Hopefully we put all the compo-info you need in this post, in case anything is unclear, do not hesitate to ask.
See you in a couple of weeks!

On behalf of the X Organizers,

Burglar/SCS*TRC
x2014@high5.nl
http://www.scs-trc.net/x2014

... 41 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2014-10-08 12:26
Conrad

Record the decibels (DBA) peak level of each crowd cheering after a music/gfx/demo entry has been performed... the entry of each category awarded with the most peak DBA wins!
2014-10-08 12:38
Jammer

Nice idea - it reminds me of old Polish show about singing kids whose performances were verified by 'clap-o-meter'. But bear in mind that cheers and whistles do not entirely apply to the amplitude of sound :) If people boo (well, they won't but hipothetically :P) microphones will respond better ;)
2014-10-08 13:33
LKP

I think the best way to vote is using 1 to 10 with 1 decimal like 7.3 8.6 9.3 etc. this way you can make a little differance between 2 very nice pictures ,musics or demo. Succes.
2014-10-09 08:12
Pantaloon

or just hand over the prizes to the Nordic Scene Conspiracy without voting...
2014-10-09 08:16
Yazoo

haha panta... no... you gotta work for your trophy ;-)
2014-10-09 17:45
GH

The 1/5 star rating voting is just fine aslong I can see
who gave me 1 star :D
2014-10-09 18:54
LKP

Voting with only 5 stars is just too rough. 5 stars means that this demo can't be improved in any way. My opinion is that always the case. Voting 1 to 10 with 1 decimal gives the benefit to calculate very accurate. Besides it needs to be private what you vote. Downvoting and upvoting more than 30 procent off of the average could be discarded followed by a recalc. You are encouraged to vote fair. I hope that i can vote while the prg is running. Voting afterwards will be for me difficult. Succes all of you.
2014-10-09 19:00
Burglar

@LKP, you are mistaking compo voting with csdb voting. 5 stars is for the best of the compo. if we had a shit compo, the least smelly crap should get 5 stars ;) (but we won't:)
2014-10-09 19:49
LKP

@Burglar are u not afraid to have 5 first places 7 second places 4 third etc. what will be plan B if thats gonna be the case? A jury maybe?
2014-10-09 19:59
chatGPZ

in that case we will play a drinking game that determines the winner
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Exile/Anubis
Didi/Laxity
JCH/Vibrants
bisboch/Hokuto Force
Smasher/F4CG
Chico/Civitas