Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Project SIDFX (formerly known as SIDFIXER)
2015-12-20 13:29
Scarzix

Project SIDFX (formerly known as SIDFIXER)

Sorry for spamming you all, but regarding the DUAL SID hardware module SIDFX:

I mailed all PRE-ORDER contacts tuesday and I still miss a reply from 33% of you... please check your spam folder/email if there is any mail from sidfx-preorder@kick-ass.dk (16th december)

Thanks in advance.

There will be a registration site up shortly... so if you didnt pre-order/registrate already, you can also just mail me directly on the sidfx-preorder@kick-ass.dk mail address.

Cheers and merry X-mas to everyone!
2015-12-20 13:37
CreaMD

Any chance to get the rough estimates of price depending on number of ordered/produced units. over X - price1 over xx, price 2.. ?

Also is there any video showing how it would be installed and used on C64? That might help a lot to promote the project and get more orders. I will share that on c64.sk FB ( 2000 users (it won't get spread to all 2000, unless FB get's paid for post boost thoug ;-( but it's still worth try). Of course C64.sk and CSDB forums can also be used as channel, and maybe even 1541 ultimate group admins might be asked to help promote (around 900 users)

roman
2015-12-20 14:32
Cresh

Maybe something has changed since X14, dunno.

http://postimg.org/image/unwqsvvv9/
2015-12-20 17:15
Scarzix

I am currently building the website.

It will contain the latest news (where we are in the process, features explained etc, progress with production etc.)

It will contain the latest specs for the product, I will take both pictures and try to do some videos of the product in action as I have a prototype of the final version in a breadbin here - with a 6581 and a 8580, so I can demonstrate the hotswap feature, that allows me to switch while the game is running. :-)

I expect to make a FAQ as I get a lot of the same questions.

Ofcause there will be a registration/preorder form too.

When we close the preorder periode spring next year, we will ask people to prepay and based on the amount of units, we have the final cost.

The problem is that euro has gone slightly up since 2013 and that has move the unit price from 70 to 80 euro. We had hoped for less.

If we can get the total batch much higher, like 300-400 sold items, the price pr. unit will lower - and that will be divided on all units ofcause.

So calculate your interest based on 80 euro per unit. I have already and I need two. One with a 6581 and 8580 and then one unit with 2x8580 for my stereo SIDs which are composed for 8580 - eg. Singularity

https://soundcloud.com/scarzix/singularity-upload-v2

It's SOOOO awesome to be able to compose with 6 SID channels.
2015-12-20 18:36
Scarzix

As the initial costs pr. batch is "unrealistic high" we are aming for a "one shot only". So this production will - as it looks now - be a ONCE IN A LIFE TIME. No further batches as they will cost way too much with too few extra orders.

So rethink, please - lets get the best price for everyone. Do you want one? if you do, can you imagine you would want two within a year? then preorder 2 units from the start.

There is not going to be a second chance as production costs looks for each batch start.
2015-12-21 02:17
chatGPZ

Quote:
70 to 80 euro

including a second SID?
2015-12-21 08:44
Cresh

Quite expensive, indeed. But good luck with the orders!
2015-12-24 16:39
Scarzix

Project SIDFX, dual SID any model in any C64/SX/128

https://youtu.be/shlYenJq_aY

Preorder on sidfx-preorder@kick-ass.dk (and yes, I have received all your other mails, but I am not done replying, so dont worry if you already mailed me on that address)
2015-12-24 22:30
Scarzix

Quote: Quite expensive, indeed. But good luck with the orders!

no second SID as you can use this for any SID model combination you like.

But what you do get is a product that gives you as noiseless SID output as possible, hotswap between any two SID models you place in the sockets... and you can also use them for dual/stereo mode for 6 channels joy.

The unit also comes with solderfree connection to the machines mainboard, so everybody should be able connect the 3 clamps themself.

Same with the two hardware switches that enables you to hotswap modes.

Ofcause the unit has its own internal bootloader that checks CSC of current firmware.. it has a default stealth mode so no demo or game will see the unit. its only when you trigger the right addresses that it activates itself...

the unit also detects the installed SID models, it also gives you a configurable digi fix and you can choose from three memory mappings for the 2nd SID .... again jumperless configurations...

but yes, it was supposed to land around 70 euro but the start cost pr batch this small is rather high + the euro went up through the past three years...

but ofcause, just like the Cameleon and the Ultimate... or the Reloaded board... its a matter of need / comfort / deluxe feeling.

besides that, the protocol also enables software to swap the primary chip automatically if the SIDplayer or demo utilizes it.

its not build to be cheap, its build to be the deluxe model of all dual sid solutions.

I can fully understand if 80 euro is too much for some of you in here, but for party organizors this is a really cool tool for playing the right SID model.
2015-12-24 22:50
CreaMD

I like it. Price doesn't matter. We are enthusiasts. The video shows that this piece is well thought out.
2015-12-26 02:05
Thierry

C64 Reloaded compatible?
2015-12-26 12:28
Scarzix

I cant test that, as I dont have access to a Reloaded. But it works with any SID model, so if the Reloaded is 100% compatible in hardware, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

I have seen the model with ZIF sockets though and putting a SIDFX on top of that might make it too high to fit beneath the keyboard, but thats a Reloaded decision, not something we can do much about I am afraid.

But I believe the montherboard and the SIDFX is compatible. The SIDFX is designd to be 100% stealth until you access certain bits in a certain order.

Thats why it also works with C128 and SX... they will never know ;-)
2016-01-06 16:55
AmiDog

I'm a little confused. There seems to be a nice config tool, so are the switches really needed?

I recently got a Reloaded board and went looking for a solderless stereo SID solution for it and found this thread. I have a feeling those clamps wont be able to hold on to the pins of the pin header J13 on the Reloaded. Any chance for a custom version with a suitable connector instead of clamps?
2016-01-07 10:44
Thierry

Quote: I'm a little confused. There seems to be a nice config tool, so are the switches really needed?

I recently got a Reloaded board and went looking for a solderless stereo SID solution for it and found this thread. I have a feeling those clamps wont be able to hold on to the pins of the pin header J13 on the Reloaded. Any chance for a custom version with a suitable connector instead of clamps?

I was wondering the same thing, if that is compatible with the C64 Reloaded can be offering next week ..
2016-01-07 17:27
Grue

I find it silly that reloaded didn't have 2 sid sockets and silence mods included on board, instead it boasted about being more compatible which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Use your normal c64 board for sidfx.
2016-01-07 20:46
Dano

I fear the bigger problem with the reloaded boards is to fit them into a new c64 case as it will rise too high and collide with the keyboard and such. so it will most likely just fit old breadbox cases - if any.

so one will actually need some adapter board to connect between the switchable connector sockets and the sidfx..
2016-03-03 12:57
AmiDog

I'm still hoping it will work with the C64 reloaded. Just read this in the comment section for the youtube demonstration video:

Quote:
Next and final hardware revision has the coords/cables attached using small "sockets/mounts" like you know them from modern motherboards with LED's and switches. But the point is that you can detach those you don't want to use = less cables in your cabinet.

Should make it fairly easy to connect it to the pin header on the reloaded board instead of using the clamps. If it will fit below the keyboard or not is another question...
2016-03-04 10:44
Comos

You need to replace the ZIF SID socket with a low profile one if you want to use it in the Reloaded board.Or you have to do a reposition board in between if you want to keep existing ZIF socket.
2016-03-04 12:14
AmiDog

I'm going to order a SIDFX anyway, and put it in a different machine if it doesn't fit. I have my reloaded in a C64G case. Don't remember how much space there are between the SID and keyboard though.
2016-03-05 12:28
Thierry

I'm using an acrylic case, I think I'll have no problems with space, I think i have enough height

2016-03-05 13:34
ChristopherJam

That c64 is *gorgeous*!
2016-03-05 14:32
Thierry

Thanks!
2016-03-05 21:22
Frantic

Looks extremely nice, but can we leave this "reloaded" discussion to some other thread now instead of hijacking the SIDFX thread?
2016-03-06 18:38
MaD ][

I emailed my interest in SIDFX directly and can't wait to see anything about develpment of the project, since I personally HATE drilling holes in my C64s cases is there any SMART solution to use existing holes instead? I was wondering about something like a rotative selector passing through the Power Led... any idea? ;)
2016-03-07 10:07
Thierry

Quote: Looks extremely nice, but can we leave this "reloaded" discussion to some other thread now instead of hijacking the SIDFX thread?

I think the post would have to be for all platforms, those photos are not a mod, is an acrylic case that sells Plexilaser, I guess clears many doubts to people who have Reloaded, not only the old mother of c64.
2016-03-21 13:14
DjS

Nice, What's the estimated delivery time on these?
2016-03-21 14:50
AmiDog

Just noticed that the pre-order page is up at http://sidfx.kick-ass.dk/

Also noticed that the problem with using it on a Reloaded isn't the height, but rather the lever for the ZIF socket, which will end up under the SIDFX board...
2016-03-21 19:28
Scarzix

Actually the REAL website is up on http://sidfx.kick-ass.dk at midnight, the current page is only a crappy placeholder - but the registration form works.

You can also follow my videos on:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTULw-6H6ju2dmfPAhq366Q

I uploaded a small test of my winning dual SID tune from the Ambient compo here on CSDB.dk to check how the SIDFX worked with stereo setup.
2016-03-21 19:29
Scarzix

You are also welcome on Facebook, if you have an account there:

https://www.facebook.com/projectsidfx/
2016-03-21 20:27
Scarzix

sorry for my lame Photoshop skills, but I tried to merge all 4 images of a SIDFX mounted in a ZIF into a single image.

As you can see, the small handle on the ZIF, CAN lock the SIDFX unit tight.
2016-03-22 01:17
Scarzix

Okay, we are on-air and open for pre-orders:
http://sidfx.kick-ass.dk/

Facebook support forum/community up too if interested:

If I don't answer in here, please PM me.
2016-03-22 10:48
AmiDog

@Scarzix

Oooooh. Nice! Sorry about my faulty conclusion that it wouldn't fit in a ZIF socket.
2016-03-22 11:12
AmiDog

A question. How does the SID detection work? Is it somehow failsafe, so that it doesn't blow up a SID by accident? Does it work with the 6582 as well?
2016-03-22 15:29
Scarzix

I dont know the exact implementation of the detection scheme, but I am pretty sure it uses a common safe approach that starts with low voltage, checks for response, if none, it goes higher etc. I know these issues were key concerns to the initial development.

so first of all, the SIDFX has to discover which environment its in, I guess... is it in a 6581 or 8580 socket.... then once running, which two or single SID model is mounted in the sockets...

No jumpers, no soldering... just plug it in...
2016-03-23 15:03
Scarzix

I just made another little test video, explaning the 4 cables and playing my second stereo SID tune called "Auxillery Love".

Now I will plug-in a 6581R4 and test more stuff with switching SID while the game/demo plays, to hear the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHU4uwvM9_s
2016-03-23 18:11
chatGPZ

Quote:
Does it work with the 6582 as well?

6582 is identical to 8580 except for the printing on the package :)
2016-03-23 19:31
Scarzix

And now... time for 6581R4 + 8580R5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jcMm0xddM4

Hello Alex aka @Dr.J
2016-03-24 15:26
Scarzix

This is so amazing!

Within a few days, we have gone above 200 pre-ordered units, so now we will try to see if we can reach an even bigger batch size!

If we succeed, we might be able to squeeze the unit-price a little down.

I am SO happy to see the amount of support for this product. Really amazing!

http://sidfx.kick-ass.dk if you know others who havent signed up yet.
2016-03-24 15:56
Snabel

Quote: This is so amazing!

Within a few days, we have gone above 200 pre-ordered units, so now we will try to see if we can reach an even bigger batch size!

If we succeed, we might be able to squeeze the unit-price a little down.

I am SO happy to see the amount of support for this product. Really amazing!

http://sidfx.kick-ass.dk if you know others who havent signed up yet.

Yay \o/

That is very good news indeed!!!

You guys did a stellar job on this!
2016-03-31 20:20
Scarzix

UPDATE: We have reached 250 units and counting!

Reloaded: Lotus is currently designing an adapter for mounting it inside a C64C chassis if you have ZIF sockets on your Reloaded, as that will be too tight to fit with the current placement of the SID socket on the Reloaded.

This will be optional for a small extra fee for those who insist on using a Reloaded in a C64C chassis.

I have had several people offering me options on how we can test with a Reloaded board to make exact measurements, so I hope to get this done in near future.
2016-03-31 21:17
lft

For those of us who already pre-ordered via email, and provided shipping address etc., do we also need to pre-order on the website?
2016-03-31 22:27
Scarzix

no, I started by importing all the old pre-orders from various lists build up over the years (parties etc)

But I will soon be sending a survey to those who have pre-ordered for details, so make sure the email you used when pre-ordering before the website, is still the right one.

If in doubt, either use the pre-order form with same email (it will update and confirm) or just mail me on sidfx-sales@kick-ass.dk and I will check your email and details.

If you have specifed a quantity, country and used a working email, I am happy. :-)
2016-03-31 22:30
Scarzix

Btw. if I have forgotten to tell about it, I have also made a Facebook page for it, so you can easily follow updates on it.

The link is in the bottom of the website too.

2016-03-31 23:33
mhindsbo
Account closed

Thanks for looking into the C64reloaded option! I for one am using that as my main and mod machine in the new C64C case.
2016-04-01 06:44
Thunder.Bird

Congrats for *finally* my STEREOinSID made it to denmark :D
It's a long time, somebody deleted my hardware from here.
2016-04-01 06:55
chatGPZ

thinking this has anything to do with "your" STEREOinSID is just silly
2016-04-01 13:01
ilesj

Quoting Scarzix
Reloaded: Lotus is currently designing an adapter for mounting it inside a C64C chassis if you have ZIF sockets on your Reloaded, as that will be too tight to fit with the current placement of the SID socket on the Reloaded.

That's good news. But what about other motherboard versions, have those been measured/considered? I mean the SID socket is located even further below the keyboard in many motherboard models. For example will SIDFX fit into C-case with 250407 mobo?

I would see it more of an issue with the emergence of new C-cases than the Reloaded board. (People are motivated to install whatever models to C-case).
2016-04-02 04:14
Scarzix

As I have been told, Lotus and Devia spend a lot of initital time on messureing all the different motherboard types, to make sure this product fits within each of them. That is: which components surrounds it (height and width issues), how far is it from all 4 sides (what is the topmost length needed for cables to reach the edge of the chassis, so people can drill holes on any side they want for the switches and audio out) etc.

so as far as I know they also designed it to be as flat as possible to fit below the C64C keyboard and I have mounted it in several C64C's and it has been no problem so far.

But let me get to you on this specific model, to be absolutely sure?
(I expect, I know the answer already, but I wanna give you the best possible answer I can get)

Hope thats acceptable.
2016-04-02 04:37
Scarzix

Quote: Congrats for *finally* my STEREOinSID made it to denmark :D
It's a long time, somebody deleted my hardware from here.

Personally, I have never heard of your hardware before and I didn't know that someone else had made a unit that allows you to put any two SID models into it and it then autodetects the SID type and adjust voltage accordingly, nor that you by 6510/8500 software can ask the unit which SID models are installed in the machine and the use a command to switch to the right socket, based upon the SID type?

no jumpers, no soldering! and working in ALL C64, C64C, SX-64, C128, C128D, and C128DCR... and we expect to support Reloaded in C64C chassis too very soon!

- and I am also surpriced to learn if your hardware enables the user to switch configurations, which they can customize and save in any 3 combinations they like, for either mono or stereo setups - or you can decide to have different setups for the amount if digiboost for the 8580 models.

I am fully aware that SIDFX isn't the only SID unit to let people use two SIDs etc, but there are so many different fixes and DIY units trying to deliver some of this and none of the existing units has solved all the issues in one unit!

The initial idea here was: "can't we have something that automatically can flip to the correct SID model based on the tune playing. The SID header of a .SID file in HVSC has this information, if only the SIDplayer software could use that info to tell the unit to swap automatically...." (Devia asked Lotus, I was told)

If such a unit had existed already, nobody would have wanted to spend more than 3 years trying to make this become a reality?!

Of cause this swap will not work for existing games and demos, so a manual switch has been implemented too, again to make it nice and easy for the end-user who wants to play his/hers Cybernoid or Arkanoid game etc.

Then there is the dual SID functionality: after analysing all tunes in HVSC, the three topmost common addresses of the 2nd SID used in .SID tunes are $D420, $D500 and $DE00 ... and as I have understood from Devia, thats why you can select these using the configuration tool that comes with the SIDFX.

You can even have all three settings, if you like, so you can move between them based upon your usage/need. Eg I make dual SIDs for $D420 using CheeseCutter editor, others wanna use MSSIAH module and it utilizes $DE00 I have been told and read in docs.

To me, as a musician/coder/end-user, I really dont want to open my C64 hardware too often. I want a working unit that I can customize to MY needs, using software configurations or the flick of a switch.

With this unit, I get all this + direct audio-out from the unit, I can force SID socket 1 or 2 as I please, I can put it into software/automatic mode where I can let software control which socket to control - and Gideon (1541ultimate) has agreed that we will make support for SIDFX directly in the firmware in the future, so when you pick a .SID file from your SDCARD or USB, the SIDplayer detects the SIDmodels installed, and if there is a match, it sets the primary SID to that socket automatically.

So this product is for people who REALLY like to play SID music on REAL hardware without all the troubles... to me, this is plug'n'play dual SID solution on a C64!

This project has grown far beyond that original idea and into THE ultimate dual SID chip solution, or the king of SID expansions as It states on the label here.

- and btw. if you think that Lotus is getting rich from this, you are terribly wrong... the research costs and startup fees for production of this unit ... OMG! luckily, we have no reached a minimum batch size that allows him to put it into production without loosing money.
2016-04-02 06:19
CreaMD

I had pleasure to read the last post and I'm really looking forward for this thing being part of my c64.
r
2016-04-02 07:49
ilesj

Quoting Scarzix
As I have been told, Lotus and Devia spend a lot of initital time on messureing all the different motherboard types, to make sure this product fits within each of them.

I think that answers my question - yes, different models have been considered :)

So it sounds like the location of the SID socket is not the issue together with C-case keyboard, only the additional height of the ZIF socket with C64R.
2016-04-02 09:49
Scarzix

yes, and maybe the metal shielding in certain c64c's which can be safely removed as far as I know, or bend/modified to allow inserting the SIDFX onto the SID socket.
2016-04-02 10:01
encore

If you wanted to install SIDFX on the C64C-board that has the metal shield (and tongues for heat dissipation), you wouldn't be able to keep the shield on without modifying it? Like one of these setups (incidentally Ilesj's picture): https://ilesj.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ks-64-c-old-motherboa..

Just crossed my mind since my main C64 is one of those.

Scarzix: It would be interesting if you did some recordings directly from the audio output in one of your videos. :)
2016-04-02 10:35
Scarzix

I have exactly tested with this shielding and the default attachment of the grabbers on the cpu will not work because of it, so we just need to attach them on another chip in this specific model.

also you need to bend the two metal pins/bars going from it to your SID and CPU, because SIDFX is taller and wider than the SID socket (there are two SID sockets plus components in the middle)

but I am not done testing on this one and will come back to you on it... both you and I have this model ;-)

Note: of cause the SIDFX unit itself works fine with this board, without the cover.
2016-04-04 20:09
Frantic

Is there any kind of estimate on when this might start shipping? Even if just a very rough estimate? This year? Just curious.
2016-04-04 21:53
Scarzix

Quote: Is there any kind of estimate on when this might start shipping? Even if just a very rough estimate? This year? Just curious.

yes, the plan is to get them into production very soon, so we can get them back and ready for X2016.

We have MANY pre-orders from people who plan to attend X2016 and this way they can save customs/shipping - so that is Lotus' mail goal at the moment.

As it looks, we are getting close to 300 units now. I think its reachable within a week or so and then we will probably close for pre-orders and start collecting payment.

After a short collecting, we will count the units paid - and then put them into production as the final number. Unpaid units will be considered cancelled.
2016-04-06 17:51
Scarzix

who is in control of the .SID file standard? I would like to contact the "admin" if any or is it free to expand/develop?
2016-04-06 17:55
chatGPZ

HVSC team does, obviously.
2016-04-06 22:10
Scarzix

Quote: HVSC team does, obviously.

*doh* :-)

Thanks!
2016-04-06 22:20
CreaMD

Ian Coog is a cool guy. Always there when I needed help or advice.
Ian Coog
2016-04-07 08:35
iAN CooG

As replied privately, I want to write also here that it's premature to even think to implement any changes anywhere before this thing gets spread and actually used.
See all the troubles in implementing 2sid and 3sid support in sidformat, emulators and players: there are 128 2SID tunes after 5 years, and only 13 3SID tunes in total and seems nobody actually cares about 3sid, and I am glad even about it as the results are usually not interesting at all, at least the potential of 9 sid voices hasn't been fully used.
When there are enough releases that actually use 2 mixed sid models, we can talk about it =)
2016-04-07 17:02
Scarzix

if the .SID standard is that hard to update, maybe we ought to rethink the design? I had hoped it had a byte or bit for each model used. This way it could scale to any size?

single SID:
<hardware>
<sid id="0" address="$D400" model="6581" />
</hardware>

stereo SID (2x)
<hardware>
<sid id="0" address="$D400" model="6581" />
< sid id="1" address="$D420" model="8580" />
</hardware>

stereo SID (2x)
<hardware>
<sid id="0" address="$D400" model="8580" />
< sid id="1" address="$D500" model="6581" />
</hardware>

etc
both same model and it can also contain unlimited SID mappings?

ofcause this can be converted into a much smaller serialized byte structure, but if its like, it dont see the problem?
2016-04-07 17:05
chatGPZ

yeah whats the problem? who cares if tunes exist that use that feature
2016-04-07 17:08
Scarzix

reminds me of Commodore's reply to open borders... yeah okay, so its possible, but its not really usefull...
2016-04-07 17:42
Scarzix

I just checked up on the standard of SIDs as it looks, it can handle up to three SIDs and different model for each already, so what is the problem?

I had been told that it might be an issue with a 6581+8580 stereo SID or 8580+6581 but as I read the latest standards, this is not a problem at all?

so... we already have support for mixed SID models in stereo/dual SID files... \o/ yay!

now if ONlY VICE could support both SID models at the same time too... #vice-team where are you? ;-)
2016-04-07 19:14
iAN CooG

In the sid header is possible to set up to 3 different sidmodels yes, fact is that no emulator/player supports different emulations at the same time, not that I know so far.
2016-04-08 06:29
Thunder.Bird

Quote: I had pleasure to read the last post and I'm really looking forward for this thing being part of my c64.
r

Don't get me wrong, I love the functionality and hassle-free design! :)
I wish you good luck and a lot of customers.
May the scene benefit from the SIDFX and release Metal Dust stereo at long last.
2016-04-08 06:51
chatGPZ

Quote:
now if ONlY VICE could support both SID models at the same time too... #vice-team where are you? ;-)

i will add it right after i have deleted the windows and osx ports because noone wants to maintain them anymore.
2016-04-08 08:59
Frantic

Just go ahead and delete all of it! Then people would have to use the real hardware again. ...and the real Sidfx! Ha!
2016-04-08 09:02
chatGPZ

maybe then finally we will hear a 2-SID tune thats worth all the trouble :o)
2016-04-08 18:21
Scarzix

okay, I didnt know you disliked my "Singularity" or "Auxillery Love" tunes that much Groepaz?

but I can asure you that more are on their way...
2016-04-08 19:36
iAN CooG

scarzix: nobody said your tunes aren't good, we all know you could have made those tunes only with 3 voices
2016-04-09 11:57
chatGPZ

what ian said
2016-04-09 19:09
4mat

Actually 2sid (and 3) are really useful for doubling up channels in chipmusic. So you could "use one sid" to write a track but you'll never get the same timbre or power behind it that way. Not to mention detuning and octaving. If you've ever written orchestral pieces you'll know how powerful that can be with strings. Same principal really.
2016-04-15 08:03
AmiDog

Some questions:

What, if anything, will one get from the audio out in the video port? One SID? Both SIDs mixed?

Will the audio in (unless muted) be fed to both SIDs?

Can the audio out from one SID be directed to the audio in of the other?

Is the SIDFX firmware static, or can it be upgraded?

How do one talk to the SIDFX firmware? Any developer docs?

I know the HVSC SID-files have information about which SID to use, but is anyone working on a database for demos/games as well? Would be great if for example the 1541U could select the correct SID when you want to play a game or watch a demo :-)
2016-04-15 12:58
iAN CooG

Quote:
is anyone working on a database for demos/games

me and anyone else entering sids in csdb entries are already "working on a database", how to use it on anything else outside csdb it's another matter =)
2016-04-22 14:30
Scarzix

We have reached more than 300 pre-orders!
So we have set a total of 400 units and reduced the price based on costs etc.

Thanks for your patience and support people!

https://youtu.be/mWws5Y--tHg
2016-04-22 16:18
Scarzix

Reloaded: Lotus now has a Reloaded unit to messure/test with and is going to build an adapter that will allow Reloaded boards with ZIF sockets to attach a SIDFX in a C64C chassis.

Estimated price is 10 euro for adapter.
2016-04-23 03:15
rosettif

What about mouse compatibility? Considering the mouse movement signals go through the A/D converters of the SID chip (also used for paddles). Will it cause any problems if being used together with a mouse at the same time? Especially when switching over between the two SID's in runtime? (And/or with paddles, too, of course.) Has this case been already tested? (Since there have been such known problems with other dual SID boards unfortunately. And I would like to pre-order but only if it works. I would use it in a C128 with Micromys V4 mouse adapter.)
2016-04-23 10:17
Scarzix

I dont own a C64 mouse, but I recently bought a set of VIC20/C64 paddles to check out if any issues, Lotus has told me already that the registers are stealth and no such problem would exist and I can confirm, I played Le Mans last night using my paddles and SIDFX was installed... I even switched SID socket (using hardware switch 1 on the SIDFX) a couple of times in game to figure out which SID model produced the best sound... the explosion had the best filters on 6581.... not surprisingly to me
2016-04-23 10:32
Scarzix

Quote: Some questions:

What, if anything, will one get from the audio out in the video port? One SID? Both SIDs mixed?

Will the audio in (unless muted) be fed to both SIDs?

Can the audio out from one SID be directed to the audio in of the other?

Is the SIDFX firmware static, or can it be upgraded?

How do one talk to the SIDFX firmware? Any developer docs?

I know the HVSC SID-files have information about which SID to use, but is anyone working on a database for demos/games as well? Would be great if for example the 1541U could select the correct SID when you want to play a game or watch a demo :-)

The SIDFX is transparent to your C64 hardware... so normal audio out for the active SID socket is what you hear on your video-out. Aka hardware switch 1 in position 1 forces SID socket 1 to be heard, and visaversa.

I dont think 2nd SID is mapped into normal audio out,.. but let me test that.

Audio-in, never worked with that - will ask Lotus

Redirecting audio-out into audio-in,.. hehe I see the options opening here... I dont think it works like that... but I will ask...

the SIDFX has a firmware that technically can be upgraded, but its tightly filled with functionality, so there is no plans to release the firmware as opensource nor specs on how to write something different. Its not like the Ultimate where you can redesign the CPU and everything from scratch, as I have understood it.

Regarding SIDFX API to ask for which SID models currently installed and tell SIDFX to swap, there will be an open documentation once we are 100% sure that all our integration plans will work this way.

1541ultimate2 is expected to support this directly too, so when you pick a .SID file, Ultimste will read the header and program SIDFX (if detected) to swap to that model when in "auto select" mode on hardware switch 1...

this will make it really easy for a SID entutiast to play the SID files from HVSC with the right SID model, just browse your SDCARD or USB and play the tune...

Regarding games/demos, thats beyond the scope of SIDFX I think, but I dont see why not... if there is a standard for this and it can be detected from 1541ultimate, why not.... but I havent heard of such a setting - anywhere?
2016-04-23 16:41
Scarzix

Updated answers from Lotus:

Q: What, if anything, will one get from the audio out in the video port? One SID? Both SIDs mixed?

A: You will get the same audio as the stereo output, only down-mixed to mono.

Q: Will the audio in (unless muted) be fed to both SIDs?
A: Yes

Q: Can the audio out from one SID be directed to the audio in of the other?
A: SIDFX has no audio path from the SID outputs to the SID inputs. If this is something you wish, you must do this externally with a custom audio cable arrangement via EXTIN at the video connector

Q: Is the SIDFX firmware static, or can it be upgraded?
A: Most of the fundamental operation is done in hardware using a CPLD. The CPLD is not field-upgradeable. Other functions are implemented in firmware that can be upgraded by the end user.

Q: How do one talk to the SIDFX firmware? Any developer docs?
A: There's a software API for detecting an installed SIDFX module and enabling the hidden control registers at the end of the SID memory space. API info, register info and code examples will be made available on the web-site.
2016-05-15 10:13
Frantic

I'm curious whether the clicking that occurs when turning filter on/off is somehow mitigated if one installs a SIDFX in the machine, or whether that phenomenon will remain unaffected by the SIDFX?
2016-05-15 19:28
lft

I don't know the answer to the question, but I would guess that no, sidfx cannot do anything about it.

The click happens because the filter is inverting, and the signal is not AC-coupled internally. If you could put the affected voice outputs (post envelope) at some halfway level (e.g. the positive part of a pulse wave at half volume, or the midpoint of a sawtooth wave at full volume), it could be possible to change the routing silently at that moment.

I know that Mahoney's 44.1 kHz sample playback technique relies on these DC-offsets. So if you get rid of the clicking, that routine probably stops working.
2016-05-15 20:18
Frantic

Interesting!
2016-05-16 13:15
goto80

Definitely a feature worth keeping!
2016-05-16 15:07
Frantic

You're so progressive!!!

...in a conservative way.
2016-07-21 19:46
Scarzix

Lastest updates:

SIDFX adapter for Reloaded is a reality now!

One of the reason for our quietness is the project regarding support for Reloaded motherboards using a SIDFX, technically, the SIDFX works out-of-the-box with a Reloaded, but when you put it inside a C64C chassis, problems emerges due to the placement of the SID-chip with a ZIF-socket.

Reason: It is simply too high to fit below the keyboard because of the ZIF-socket, so Lotus has been working on a solution and developed an optional add-on to the SIDFX called SIDFX adapter.

Secondly... The first batch of 8 units with components has been produced and verified!

The production facility have now tuned their automated production and optical inspection, which means that the rest of the production will begin according to plans.

Note: these units are not ready for shipping yet - there is still a lot of testing to do + cables and connectors needs to be produced too.

But we will require you to fill out a "mini survey" very soon, to specify exactly which cable length you need (we have two sizes, to support SX-64 and some C128 systems) - and if you will be needing the SIDFX adapter for a Reloaded motherboard or not.

Stay tuned...

www.sidfx.dk
2016-09-10 14:18
Scarzix

okay, finally the survey/order confirmation has been released.

it includes the prices, shipping costs and a small survey to gather details on which of the 3 product variants you want (pr. unit pre-ordered)

Please check your mailbox for that survey/order confirmation asap if you pre-ordered any of the 400 units.

Thanks in advance.
2016-09-11 21:53
Scarzix

This is just a reminder to those of you who are awaiting details about your SIDFX unit(s).

We sent all pre-orders a order confirmation email yesterday.

We need you to fill out the details for shipping/invoice + we need to know which of the cable lengths you want and/or if you need a Reloaded adapter for your SIDFX.

We have people on waiting list for any cancelled orders, so please let us know if you have changed your mind on the quantity and want a unit less or if you cant pay at all and want to cancel in the final hour.

Thanks in advance.
Scarzix
2016-09-12 12:50
MagerValp

Hmm, I could've sworn I preordered, but I can't find any confirmation emails...
2016-09-12 12:55
hedning

Quote: Hmm, I could've sworn I preordered, but I can't find any confirmation emails...

I found my confirmation mail by chance, had to search for it, after I found out that it was sent out. I still don't show up in my inbox, strangely enough, only when searching for it. (I'm using gmail).
2016-09-15 22:19
Scarzix

205 pre-order customers (out of approx 300 total) have confirmed their order - only a few cancelled.. this is looking good!

If you still wanna sign up for a SIDFX, get in the waiting-list. Its slowly growing and we try to serve any spare units in order of sign up.
2016-09-16 03:19
MagerValp

Well now I know why I never managed to order: Firefox tracking protection breaks your mailchimp signup form. Yay.
2016-09-16 16:29
morphfrog

I found the confirm in the "Compain" tab of my gmail so look out there if you are useing it.
2016-09-16 18:15
Scarzix

We still need a lot of confirmations from people like:

Akira,
Elder0010
NE7
Truck
Cyberbrain
Copyfault
BHF
Taper
Fell
6R6
imaic
MacX
Cruzer
SounDemonN
Fix
Jetset
Artie Stolks
ray manta
SiXX
Trurl
WVL/Xenon
Ant
Pad
reefa
Dr.J
BozRetro
ooves
Dr. Bongo
alterus
bepp
Miztluren
rez
edhellon
Spiiki
VIC
Spider-J
Mr. Mouse
BJ
actraiser
illmidus
!rAYDEN
Cyclone/Haujobb
Tommes
Stack J.

Please check your spam folder and if using Gmail, check the "promotion" or "social" tabs too.
2016-09-17 15:11
Scarzix

Great! we are receiving a lot of order confirmations, we also get a few cancellations, because some sceners dont have the money at the moment (which is kinda odd, since people have known about this project for more than a year and the expected deadline is october)... but the cool part is that we have a lot of hopefull people on our waiting list and now a lot of them seems to get lucky! yay!

So if you didnt get in the batch before we closed at 400 units and arent in the waitinglist already, now is the time...
2016-09-21 10:25
null
Account closed

so how much do they actually cost, and is it still possible to order one?
2016-10-05 21:34
Scarzix

We get a lot of questions these days: who is Lotus Electronics ApS ...? does this have anything to do with SIDFX?

YES, that is the company Lotus owns that develops, produces and sells the SIDFX product.

Thats why the invoices are sent from Lotus Electronics ApS.

- and yes, unfortunately the company website does not exist yet, as shipping to you all is more important than getting the www part of the company up and running.

We are aware of this confusion now and will fix it + add SIDFX to the words of future invoices shipped.

IF you click the "pay" button in the invoice, you will see the PayPal invoice with the SIDFX products you have ordered inside.

Sorry for the confusion.
2016-10-05 21:42
Scarzix

@Knoeki sorry for the late reply. The first 400 units are pre-orded already and is in production batch.

We have had a few cancellations (people who can't afford them or found out they didn't want one after all), but we made an "optimistic waitinglist" on the website www.sidfx.dk where people who are still interested can signup.

We will be offering any unsold SIDFX units to people on that waitinglist.

So - if you are interested, please add yourself to the list and cross your fingers for enough people to cancel their orders. :-)

We are currently missing around 50-60 people's response. Some people have used weird email addresses or Mailchimps emails gets in their spamfilters for some odd reasons, so I try to reach out to those, to figure out if they are still interested or want to cancel their original pre-order so we can sell it to the next in line.

The first invoices has been sent out and paid already. Some people havent received an invoice at all, because parts of their order is not yet ready from production.

Hope this clearify a few details for you guys :-)
2016-10-07 11:38
WVL

I just noticed my name in the to-be-confirmed list.. guess have to do a quick search in the spam folder :-(

edit : found it and updated my data!
2016-10-07 14:49
CreaMD

There, I paid it. C64 Rulez! And SID too, of course!
2016-10-08 05:50
Scarzix

Cool guys! thanks!
2016-10-21 15:16
Scarzix

We still have BOTH missing order confirmations AND now also UNPAID invoices.

This might be due to spam-filters in public mail systems like Gmail/Hotmail etc.

The invoices are sent from PayPal (in the name of Lotus Electronics ApS) - please search your inbox/spam folders to see if you missed it.

We are closing down for payments today this friday, so if you cant make it, we can't put you the october shipment as expected. :-(

Next shipment batch will probably be in a month or more.

Please comment below here or write directly to contact@sidfx.dk if problems/invoice paid, so we can export your details for shipping.

The prices has been put on the website www.sidfx.dk too, and we hope those who changed their mind about their preordered units to tell us or click "unsubscribe" in the mails from us, so we know how many units we can offer to those still on waiting list.

Thanks in advance people.

Can't wait to meet a lot of you at X2016 - my first X party ever!
2016-11-02 03:03
Scarzix

Okay, we are past october 2016 and X2016 was huge!

First shipping bulk was sent before we went to the party and a lot of people got them a few days later!

Those who didn't respond to the invoice in time for this bulk, will be in the next bulk late November.

We still have a LOT of pre-orders that we haven't heard from nor have they been finally confirmed - and we have decided that these will be considered cancelled very soon and afterwards we will start offering the units to people on the waiting list.

Please note: registration on the waiting list is NOT equal to be getting a unit, but we will ask people on this waiting list before announcing any spare units for normal sales, in case there are any units left.

So if anyone from CSDb.dk signed up for our SIDFX unit in the pre-order phase and you haven't completed the final confirmation (regarding which product version you wanted), we cannot send you and invoice and consider your lack of answer as a "cancellation".

I hope the last sceners will wake up and react now or at least open the mailreminders we have sent out and click the "profile update"(to get an invoice from us) or "unsubscribe"(to cancel and get out of the list)
2016-11-02 03:04
Scarzix

http://www.sidfx.dk/manual has been updated with more details and images.
2016-11-02 12:18
Rock

I just got mine, Thanks Scarzix!
2016-11-02 13:35
Oswald

signed up for waitlist :)
2016-11-02 13:46
WVL

I got mine just before I left for X on the friday :-)
2016-11-02 21:46
Nuckhead

Hm, can't seem to find any invoice - searched everywhere.
2016-11-02 21:57
Dymo

Got mine on monday... works like a charm :)
Using a 8580 R5 and a 6581 R4 AR...
2016-11-02 22:03
Scarzix

Great to hear you all got it so quickly and are as happy with it as we are.

I just updated the manual a little more tonight.

Nuckhead: have you rececived the "Final Confirmation" mail and updated your account?

I can't find you in the list, did you use your CSDb nick?

PM me or mail me on contact@sidfx.dk
2016-11-02 22:25
Xiny6581

I recived mine too. Going to be an experience to rewire my main SID Recording machines with this dynamite!
2016-11-02 22:38
CreaMD

Xiny, I hope you make a lot of stereo/sixchannel recordings with this one ;-) Btw. I got mine too, it's awesome, although I was said it's primary purpose is *NOT* to have 2 new SIDs inside (...coz if I wanted that I could go with some cheaper solution.) Problem is, that I'm not very keen on soldering and stuff and this one is cute and easy to install I had to have one) ;-)
2016-11-02 22:49
Scarzix

Yeah, it's intentional design idea was to facilitate the hot switching between any two SID models so all the old and new demos would sound equally great on a single machine.

I have tried it with two 8580's (to hear my Singularity dual SID tune) and that was an awesome experience for me to finally hear it on real hardware.

BUT - the whole API for asking which models are installed, tell the SIDFX to swap them when needed etc. is kinda lost when used with two of the same model.

Of course if you go for easy install, no jumpers - I totally agree, this is the easy out of the box soltion.

That's actually why I wanted two myself.

One to mix models and one to have 2x8580

Btw. I foresee and recommend the following:

SID socket #1 : 6581
SID socket #2 : 8580

so we have a standard for how we make stereo tunes if we combine the models in a tune.

I know for certain that I am going to try to use the fat old filter from 6581 combined with the new models extra waveforms and its more "digital" filter.

Reason for these kinda dual tunes? Because from our sales log, I can tell that there is going to be a LOT of people with exactly that setup in the scene.
2016-11-02 23:20
CreaMD

I'm also interested in trying OLD+NEW SID for exactly the same reasons (composing with different types of filter ;-), but I only have 2 old SID machines and about 10 new so I first tried it with two NEW sids ;-)

Anyway, now I need to tweak DMC5.0+ for 6 channels ;-) In monitor (no sources ;-)
2016-11-02 23:27
Frantic

Just installed mine. I had some troubles attaching the alligator clips to the CPU, due to the (Swedish) char rom and kernal rom sitting on some kind of extra little "board" (e.g. higher up than just straight into sockets at the motherboard). This C64 is from 1984 (Assy 250425). It was bought like that so it is not some hack. Anyway.. Using some force and slight bending worked in the end, and it seems to run fine as far as I can tell. Good!

One thing that I find very nice is that I can now use headphones straight into the jack in the C64. :) A bit funny to hear different SID revisions in each ear. Makes for a kind of stereo effect in itself, even on all those mono tunes. ;)
2016-11-02 23:48
Dymo

Yeah I think that I'll set myself up for another one... hopefully another batch in the making.. as previous peepz stated... a 8580 + 8580 machine would be sweet as well... My initial purchase was to minimize the need to swap machine due to SID... but a machine for stereo-SID would be sweet as well.. :)
2016-11-03 00:06
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting Scarzix

Btw. I foresee and recommend the following:

SID socket #1 : 6581
SID socket #2 : 8580

so we have a standard for how we make stereo tunes if we combine the models in a tune.

Ha, that's exactly my config right now. But, since the there's this API, it shouldn't matter since the player software can ask the SIDFX where to send the 6581 and the 8580 parts of the mixed 2SID tune.

Also, will you create a facebook group for support and stuff?
2016-11-03 06:40
Scarzix

SIDFX has a Facebook page already, but yes I am creating an API/support group too.
2016-11-03 09:13
Stryyker

CreaMD: If you could adapt to Sync then I could provide some sources.
2016-11-03 09:51
CreaMD

Quote: CreaMD: If you could adapt to Sync then I could provide some sources.

I have used Sync once in coop with Agemixer (National Park Grave Danger) it was okay to use, but it wasn't DMC5.0 ;-/
2016-11-03 12:17
Xiny6581

Quote: Xiny, I hope you make a lot of stereo/sixchannel recordings with this one ;-) Btw. I got mine too, it's awesome, although I was said it's primary purpose is *NOT* to have 2 new SIDs inside (...coz if I wanted that I could go with some cheaper solution.) Problem is, that I'm not very keen on soldering and stuff and this one is cute and easy to install I had to have one) ;-)

Hah :) I think I have recorded the *biggest* 2SID so far with my existing device :) But with the SidFX, I can configure a bit more "on the fly".

One cool thing to do would be try to see/hear if it's possible to put an existing 2SID into each of the sockets and then have a 4SID :)
Just as long as you can set the addresses for each SIDs it _should_ work.
2016-11-03 12:34
CreaMD

More than 2 sid would be revolutionary ;-)
2016-11-03 16:47
Tao

Quoting Xiny6581
Hah :) I think I have recorded the *biggest* 2SID so far with my existing device :) But with the SidFX, I can configure a bit more "on the fly".

One cool thing to do would be try to see/hear if it's possible to put an existing 2SID into each of the sockets and then have a 4SID :)
Just as long as you can set the addresses for each SIDs it _should_ work.

So, in best case you'll get a 4SID that no one else can listen to. In worst case you'll fry 4 SID-chips.

Yeah, that sounds like a great risk to take.
2016-11-03 18:39
Xiny6581

Tao: No worries, I have played with this thought before and nope nope, it won't happen.
2016-11-03 18:40
Scarzix

Not going to work. The power transfer from the SIDFX is controlled to match the SID model installed. I cannot recommend trying as this might break your unit. (havent tested myself, but this is outside the specs and normal usage)
2016-11-03 23:05
Scarzix

okay, we added some more pictures and explanations for a lot of the ASSY's.

If anyone has installed the SIDFX in those with missing images, feel free to post them to me on contact@sidfx.dk and I will put them on the manual page too.

http://www.sidfx.dk/manual
2016-11-06 10:14
lft

It was mentioned in another thread that SIDFX will always route read accesses to the chip in slot 1. In my opinion, that's a rather serious design limitation. It means that sid detection routines will always detect what's in slot 1, regardless of what chip is currently selected. So any tunes that adapt themselves to the current sid model (e.g. my tune in VN65) will sound wrong, and the only way to get it right is to open up the case and switch the chips around---which is precisely what SIDFX was supposed to eliminate. Is there any chance that this can be fixed in a firmware upgrade?
2016-11-06 12:49
Lotus

LFT: During the design phase (this was probably back in late 2013) we concluded that it may be unwise to swap read accesses based on the switch 1 position, due to the differences between 6581 and 8580. We wanted to make sure that SID players utilizing the OSC3/ENV3 registers would not end up playing incorrectly due to manual switching during playback. Therefore switch 1 only alters the audio path, not the register map.

However, if you wish SID2 to be detected by a demo, then (using the SIDFX config tool) you can make a configuration profile with mode “MONO - SID2 ONLY”. Then all read accesses go to SID2, and you can still switch the audio output between SID1/SID2 using switch 1. Using switch 2 you have 3 available configuration profiles that you can choose between prior to loading a program.
2016-11-06 15:24
lft

Ah, excellent! That solves the problem.
2016-11-06 15:51
Frantic

Yes, excellent.

...and speaking of that, it would be very nice if the source code for that configuration tool was available, especially since there is no programming reference available for SIDFX (as far as I know?). I would like to implement explicit support for the SIDFX in a music editor that I am currently working on.
2016-11-06 16:03
AmiDog

Just installed my SIDFX. Other than the first SID I took from a broken C64 being broken, it all went smoothly. Took about 3 hours to mod the case and get everything installed.

I've run the config tool a few times, and once it failed to detect the SID types. It found two SIDs but listed them as unknown. Should I be worried about that?
2016-11-06 16:20
Lotus

Frantic: Don't worry, the SIDFX API will be made available soon'ish (Scarzix will coordinate that), including example source code for easy implementation. But right now we are focusing our efforts toward improving the general documentation :)
2016-11-06 16:35
Lotus

AmiDog: SIDs detected as unknown are operated in "safe mode" at 9V (and with 8580 filter caps) so the chips will not be damaged, but they may not operate properly for several reasons. I have only seen this with a handful of bad SID chips (mostly 6581), that were either totally dead or sounded very wrong in a plain C64. Have you tested them prior to using them with SIDFX?
2016-11-06 18:15
mhindsbo
Account closed

I have the same issue. I have a C64R with SID socket #1 : 6581and SID socket #2 : 8580. Both SID's are tested and working stand alone.

Sometimes the diagnostic tool detect none (unknown), sometimes one and sometimes the other and sometimes both.

When it does detect both then everything works fine and I can play stereo tunes or switch back and forth from one to the other.
2016-11-07 08:52
Scarzix

okay, first version of the CONFIG tool documentation page is up now. We have added version number and dates to both Manual and Documentation pages now, so you can see if they have changed since last time you looked at them.

http://www.sidfx.dk/config-tool

http://csdb.dk/scener/?id=27019, let's get in touch and see if we can resolve that issue for you.
2016-11-07 09:43
AmiDog

@Lotus: I've used both SIDs one by one in my Reloaded board, and as far as I can tell, they both sound correctly. One is a 8580 and the other is a 6582. I've only seen them reported as unknown once, and then both were shown as unknown. The other 5-6 times I've used the config tool, they were both identified as 8580. I got a little worried when I got unknown, but after a reset, the config tool reported them as 8580 again. Maybe the 1541U (first version) I'm using does interfere somehow, or maybe it's the Reloaded board.
2016-11-07 09:54
AmiDog

About testing SID chips. Are there any good tools one can use to determine if a SID chip is working correctly? While it's quite easy to hear if a channel is completely dead, how can one tell if the filters are working correctly for example?
2016-11-07 11:56
chatGPZ

the filter (and some other things) cant be tested by a program unfortunately
2016-11-07 14:22
Grue

It seems that sidfx took easy way out and +5v line is mostly unfiltered resulting c128 bus noise being on humorous level on sidfx audio output.

Any tips for filtering +5v line, in my previous sid noise filtering hacks I used ferrite and capacitor circuit, but should dc/dc be better on this?

// Grue
2016-11-07 21:48
Scarzix

Grue, I cannot reply on that, but I will let Lotus come back to you on this.
2016-11-07 21:49
Scarzix

Last chance for pre-orders that are still unconfirmed!!!

The last unconfirmed pre-orders will be considered cancelled by wednesday this week!

We are opening up for waiting list after wednesday, so stay tuned if you are one of those waiting to see if there is any units left.
2016-11-08 19:11
Lotus

Grue: VCC supply rail conditioning for SIDFX was a difficult trade-off between noise suppression, voltage drop, power loss, cost, board space etc. We tested various topologies for VCC and decided on a second-order low-pass filter as the best compromise. Pre-production measurements indicated an audible noise reduction between 5dB and 20dB depending on SID type and dominant noise frequency.
2016-11-08 19:50
Grue

poke 53280,1:poke53281,0

turn volume up and listen, you can hear the sound of tradeoff.

Its better than unmodified one, but I'm still disappointed that I can hear vic-ii on SIDFX output..

:)
2016-11-08 22:15
Snabel

Quoting Grue
Its better than unmodified one, but I'm still disappointed that I can hear vic-ii on SIDFX output..

Oh noes.. that can't be true because...

Quoting Zer0-X
SIDFX, fully isolated from the system bus via programmable logic to remove the usual VIC-whine and all the other noise produced by the rest of the system.
MixSID, no.
... and

Quoting MagerValp
To claim that it isn't driven by enthusiasm is patently absurd, they've obviously spent a lot of time and effort into designing the ultimate stereo sid board.

*Smabel does his Vincent Vega impersonation*
2016-11-09 12:53
Frantic

I am very happy with my SIDFX and I am happy that you guys put all that effort into doing this. I can only recommend it to others and I have put myself up on the list for another unit, in case there would be a second batch at some point.
2016-11-09 13:02
Radiant

Hope I signed up for the waiting list in time to get one. Would be perfect for my SX-64. :-)
2016-11-09 13:56
Snabel

Quoting Frantic
I am very happy with my SIDFX and I am happy that you guys put all that effort into doing this. I can only recommend it to others and I have put myself up on the list for another unit, in case there would be a second batch at some point.

I didn't try it out yet (been busy with boring RL crap) and i bet it's just great :) I bought 2 units since i find dualsid solutions interesting... and i figured that waiting time between batches could most likely resemble those of the 1541U line of HW.

I most likely won't need two, but then i have the chance to save a SIDFX-less buddy at some point.
2016-11-11 00:12
Scarzix

so all old and unconfirmed pre-orders are now invalid and cancelled.

... so the final run is out...

Everyone on the waiting-list have now been sent a mail about updating their profile with unit types etc.

We serve them in the order they get filled out.

If you want to be in the next batch and grab one of the units before we are sold out, then hurry up, find your e-mail inbox and check for the mail. If it's not there, check spam. Search for "SIDFX".

Good luck to you all!

We look forward to sell to as many as possible, so as many as possible can be happy.

Note. we have put a small limit on the amount of units you can order, so more people will benefit from the remaining units.
2016-11-11 09:08
Frantic

A note for those who are going to drill a hole through their C64 case to attach one of those switches: A 6mm drill is just fine.
2016-11-11 12:57
Oswald

A note for those who are going to drill a hole through their C64 case: dont.
2016-11-11 13:15
Cruzer

Quoting Oswald
A note for those who are going to drill a hole through their C64 case: dont.
But then I'm gonna have a bunch of wires with switches flopping around. Btw, it works great so far, thanks Lotus'n'Scarzix!
2016-11-11 14:01
Mace

You can always have the cable come out of the back through either the USER-port of cartridge port and make a dummy cartridge to hold the switches ;)
2016-11-11 14:08
lft

@Lotus: Do the switches by any chance consist of two electrical switches each (left and right), each shorting a separate pulled-up signal to ground?

My idea is to control switch #2 with a pair of NPN transistors, and then build something that lets me have pushbuttons for resetting into an old-sid or a new-sid configuration, respectively.
2016-11-11 16:25
Lotus

@LFT: Yes, the switches are SPDT and implemented just like you’re describing.
2016-11-11 17:47
MagerValp

I ordered a keyman64 (and a MixSID :), I'm hoping it'll do the job without any external buttons.
2016-11-11 17:57
Frantic

@Magervalp: Sounds cool! You can always drill a hole through the C64 case in any case, just for fun! :D
2016-12-05 19:23
Scarzix

For all you who aren't on Facebook...

Awesome news! 🙏 All 400 pre-orders are shipped - and we can now sell out the last units from our reserve. YAY! 😍 Want an extra or never got one? 😜

Go to www.sidfx.dk and sign up for a unit if you never got one, but are still interested.

Full mail here:

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=33d96460ded99f35bca642748&..
2016-12-05 22:00
Oswald

I got my post order, very nice package. thank you :)
2016-12-06 18:55
Sledge

Quote: For all you who aren't on Facebook...

Awesome news! 🙏 All 400 pre-orders are shipped - and we can now sell out the last units from our reserve. YAY! 😍 Want an extra or never got one? 😜

Go to www.sidfx.dk and sign up for a unit if you never got one, but are still interested.

Full mail here:

http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/?u=33d96460ded99f35bca642748&..

I had missed this totally, so I'm really glad to have placed and paid for one now! What a nice xmas gift to myself :)

Thanks a lot for producing this board!
2016-12-07 09:16
Frantic

@Scarzix: How many units have been sold in total by now?
2016-12-08 16:38
Mr. Mouse

Really happy with my set up now, for USHSC.

C64 Reloaded + SIDFX inside (8580 + 6581) :)

2016-12-08 17:15
Scarzix

I don't have the exact numbers, only Lotus does as it's his company.

But the 400 units that was pre-ordered are all sold and then he had some extra/spare units produced in-case of faulty production, and there were much less hardware errors from factory than anticipated, so it's those units we are selling out now as we don't need to keep that safety reserve any longer.

That's also why serials are now well above 400.
2016-12-08 18:17
Oswald

any ideas how to solve that without drilling? dont wanna ruin my new case.
2016-12-08 18:20
Frantic

Just drag the cables out of the tape port or something and then attach them to your nose. (Sorry, couldn't resist some trolling.)

@Scarzix: thanks!
2016-12-08 18:37
Oswald

maybe an empty cartridge case will do the trick.
2016-12-09 01:09
Scarzix

Just a small comment to the image with the two switches.

Switch #1 is:

LEFT: SID socket 1 ONLY
MIDDLE: AUTO/software API controlled
RIGHT: SID socket 2 ONLY

So, SID1&2 isn't really the correct label for center position unless you only want to have your configs that way of course :-)
2016-12-09 17:41
Mr. Mouse

Haha, indeed I have. :)
2017-02-05 00:58
Scarzix

SUCCESS!!! 100% SOLD OUT! The 400 units pre-ordered has been sold. The reserve of 80 extras has been sold out too.

It has been a long journey, loads of work hours - some more stressful than others to get everything out in time and still maintaining quality.

Hopefully the community will agree and tell us it was worth the effort

Now we can focus on getting the API documented and deliver some "well-working easy-to-include in your future projects" assembler code, so we can have SIDFX support in the awesome productions you make out there.

If you missed it and wanted a unit or two or an extra... TOO BAD ... or... actually, we have already had so many positive responses, that we have decided to change the old waiting-list into a wishlist, just in-case there is enough for a smaller 2nd batch at some point.

We won't promise it will happen, but sign-up if you wished you had been in for some units and wasn't. The list is empty from start, so your old profile, if you already was in the original, is NOT there.

Thanks for the awesome support for this project.

Signed
Team SIDFX
Lotus Electronics ApS
2017-02-05 15:44
Trap

What's the URL again?
2017-02-05 16:21
Frantic

http://sidfx.dk
2017-02-05 19:58
Skate

Seems like www is required.

http://www.sidfx.dk
2017-02-05 20:07
Scarzix

Fixed the sidfx.dk redirect :-) thanks for spotting it.
2017-02-06 08:25
MagerValp

I've got my SIDFX mounted in the Datastorm 2017 compo machine and working great 👍🏼

One question though, is it safe to hot plug headphones or a (muted :) mixer board into the 3.5 mm jack, or does the C64 need to be powered off?
2017-02-06 14:42
Lotus

Quote: I've got my SIDFX mounted in the Datastorm 2017 compo machine and working great 👍🏼

One question though, is it safe to hot plug headphones or a (muted :) mixer board into the 3.5 mm jack, or does the C64 need to be powered off?

@MagerValp: Headphones, yes absolutely, no problem. Making "live" connections between grounded equipment is typically safe, but the (standard) C64 power supply is not grounded, so you could have a large difference in voltage potential between the C64 and the mixer. In this case I would make all the signal connections first and connect C64 power last. This goes for any ungrounded equipment.
2017-02-06 22:05
MagerValp

Good to know, I'm not taking any chances with the compo machine :)
2017-04-13 12:08
Rebok

Tell me please if there's someone who walks on earth and is capable to do any repairs to SDFX? So far I can only describe myself as a owner of cool looking (and worth €75) 'washer' which goes between my main board and SID chip.
2017-04-13 12:25
Scarzix

Why would it need a repair? Contact SIDFX on contact@sidfx.dk and tell us what is wrong, attach a photo if you have damaged parts of it so we can do an estimate on possible repairs.
2017-04-13 14:48
Rebok

I posted six days ago on email and two times on fb. Nobody dont answer to me.
2017-04-17 17:01
V-12

Took me some months to find the motivation but finally. I've just installed SIDFX in my C64 and it works well. It's great that I can switch between old and new SID in realtime.

Article about SIDFX will be in Hot Style magazine. :)

Thanx guys for great work!
2017-04-18 15:38
anonym

Just finished installing mine on my c64 reloaded board. Thought I had lost some of the jumpers needed first, but found them. I'm not planning to use it as a stereo SID, just switch between 6581 & 8580. Works great. Thank you.
2017-04-18 16:12
Scarzix

Quote: Took me some months to find the motivation but finally. I've just installed SIDFX in my C64 and it works well. It's great that I can switch between old and new SID in realtime.

Article about SIDFX will be in Hot Style magazine. :)

Thanx guys for great work!

Sorry to hear that Rebok, I will check our inbox's once more. Dunno if they got caught in spam filters or something, but let me check it.
2017-04-18 16:27
Scarzix

Hi again Sebastian, I have checked through the past 14 days of mails. There is no sign of any mails from you.

Can I ask you to try again at contact@sidfx.dk or PM me your mail address and we will contact you the other direction.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Scarzix
2017-04-22 07:27
Rebok

Hello Scarzix. There's no need now. Problem solved and everything sound!
2017-04-22 14:06
Scarzix

Great! I am happy to hear that Rebok, but also wondering what caused the initial trouble for you? something we didn't explain enough or what happened?
2019-03-02 15:41
Lotus

Just a short announcement…

In case you missed out on getting yourself a SIDFX bundle the first or second time around we have just finished manufacturing a smaller and final batch. To learn more about SIDFX visit us at https://www.sidfx.dk/.

Project SIDFX - The ultimate dual SID solution
2019-03-02 16:15
Thunder.Bird

RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Frostbyte/Artline De..
DJ Space
Guests online: 112
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)