Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Bruce Lee of FoF is here!
2016-05-14 01:04
BruceLee

Bruce Lee of FoF is here!

Wow! It's been so many years since I even thought of the good'ol BBS days 30 years ago.

Many good memories running my Colour64 BBS back then. Just wanted to say HI and see who else is here and whether anyone remembers me.

I see somebody has already created my BBS name here and reminded me of a good coder of mine, Cyberad. He did some intros for the games I imported. Surprising to even see my old BBS phone number being listed.

Anyhow, drop me a line if I'm not alone.
2016-05-14 19:00
jailbird

Wow! Hi PoopLee of FoF! The only thing you should know that the opened outline is able to capture something of our secret thoughts and its permutative behaviour. We can recognize an item here and there but the line always glides further with unlimited combination of associations. Curves of the consiousness, curves of the subconcious.

And poop. Don't forget the poop. You are not alone.

Ps. Compopic
2016-05-15 17:10
bugjam

Hey Bruce Lee, never mind the "poop talk", and welcome to csdb! Always great to have people from the past finding their way here. And I am sure you can contribute some interesting info here, and hopefully also some releases of your group (and other stuff)? Maybe you still have backups of the BBS?
By the way, I have already corrected the name of your BBS now.
Cheers!

Bugjam
2016-05-15 17:39
bugjam

OK, leant something today: Colour64 is a BBS software. :-) Thanks to Moloch for enlightening me!
2016-05-15 19:02
BruceLee

Quote: OK, leant something today: Colour64 is a BBS software. :-) Thanks to Moloch for enlightening me!

I used to have all floppies and even the c64 system but after my last couple of moves I lost it somewhere so I'm afraid it's likely lost forever. I'd love to have it back because for some time I've wanted to check out some of the games and comments people made back in the day, including my own. If I ever find them I'll be sure to let you guys know but I wouldn't hold your breath.

@bugjam: FoF was actually the correct name although it was known for Fists of Fury it was often referred to as FoF so perhaps you can just put the full name in brackets after FoF?

Sorry, I thought everyone would still remember what Colour64 was but perhaps if you weren't coding or modifying its code for your own BBS you might not remember as well as I do. I haven't heard or used that name for probably 30 years and here I am posting my first message and the name came back like as if I never stopped using it.

Nice to see some comments. Hopefully there'll be more especially from those I used to talk to a lot.

I don't suppose anyone heard from Cyberad lately or know how to contact him? It'd be nice to hear from him too.
2016-05-15 21:54
Frantic

(A lot of people here certainly know what Colour64 is.)

By the way, in case you don't know, people are now running C64 BBS'es again, but instead of connecting over the phone line, they set it up so that you can reach it through telnet. Telnet terminal software is available that includes support for the PETSCII Character Graphics of the C64. For example, have a look att the info here:

http://www.triad.se/antidote
2016-05-15 23:26
Moloch

For the record, the name of the software is Color64 (no U; its a proper noun/name and doesn't change based on American/British English choice) and we only have this version in the database here

Color64 V7.37
2016-05-16 01:35
BruceLee

Ha. Twilight Zone...I believe I was importing some games from there. I certainly know it although I didn't remember it wasn't local to 416.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know people still run "Color64" which I thought was the correct spelling but if I recall in Canada and the rest of the world (except the US) the correct spelling was always Colour...just like flavour.

Nice to know that people still run colo64 bbs'es but i can't see myself going back to that anymore but maybe one day, just for fun.
2016-05-16 08:07
bugjam

Ah, the different spelling of color64 also explains why I did not find the release entry here.
Regarding the name of your group, in brackets comes only the abbreviation; if FoF was mostly used, then the full name can only go to the AKA field. You can also fix it yourself: there is an UPDATE button on the bottom of the group entry page. You can also add other members (if there were any?), add trivia to the group etc - check out the help page http://csdb.dk/help.php with extensive instructions.
And on http://csdb.dk/userpage/ you can also link your account to your scener profile.
Regarding Cyberad , he is actually still registered here, although he is a rare visitor - last login was a few months ago already. But if you click on the PM button in the top right corner of his scener profile, you can send him a message.
And all fingers crossed that you somewhere find back your stuff - it would be really great to salvage it!
Cheers,

Bugjam
2016-05-16 16:40
Sledge

Quote: Ha. Twilight Zone...I believe I was importing some games from there. I certainly know it although I didn't remember it wasn't local to 416.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know people still run "Color64" which I thought was the correct spelling but if I recall in Canada and the rest of the world (except the US) the correct spelling was always Colour...just like flavour.

Nice to know that people still run colo64 bbs'es but i can't see myself going back to that anymore but maybe one day, just for fun.

Color64 was a really good BBS program,. It was the first I actually came in contact with way back in 1989 when dialing the Censor board Attraction for the first time... Heavily modded version that blow my mind totally.

I always ran my own board on C*base (well almost all the time except for some short period with DMBBS)...

Anyway, welcome to CSDB.

Sledge/Fairlight
2021-03-09 21:23
BruceLee

Thanks for the comments everyone. I can't believe it's been like 5 years already since I've last commented on this site.
I guess I haven't thought much about the c64 for a long time but something triggered my thoughts from those days recently so here I am again.

I've even added a comment on my FOF page here. Feeling nostalgic I've gone through all the releases that someone posted on my FOF page and it was very emotional seeing my intros, my comments etc.

Anyway, I miss the 80's and the BBS days!
@Frantic - thank you. I didn't know but I'm not surprised that there might still be some BBSes around. I wish I could've found all my floppies back from the days but unfortunately it's gone forever! I don't even remember how or when exactly. Very sad.
2021-03-10 13:44
Remdy

sorry for newbie question: what are game imports exactely?
2021-03-10 14:38
Smasher

Quote: sorry for newbie question: what are game imports exactely?

now I feel old and worn out.
2021-03-10 14:39
chatGPZ

It's a valid question - so far noone could tell :)
2021-03-10 14:56
Oswald

Quote: sorry for newbie question: what are game imports exactely?

fex a game is released in USA, someone cracks it and send it to Europe, the european group aquiring the game is importing it.

I guess... I wasnt active in the scene when this business was going on :)
2021-03-10 14:57
chatGPZ

now, can you please apply this definition to csdb?
2021-03-10 15:56
BruceLee

Importing games at the time was when a game was released in the US. Once it got cracked the members of the group (such as Eaglesoft), I would bring it over to Canada and then my members would spread it around on the local BBSes. I imported c64 games both from the US and Europe depending on where I could get my hands on it sooner. Either way, it meant a lot of time and $$ to bring it to Canada. Fortunately, most of the time I was phreaking (calling LD for free). Mostly it was thanks to PBXes (private mailboxes that I had to hack).
2021-03-10 16:50
Remdy

ok thanks, that's pretty much what couriers were doing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_group#Courier_groups
would you alter the intros from the cracking group though?
2021-03-10 17:19
Oswald

Quote: ok thanks, that's pretty much what couriers were doing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez_group#Courier_groups
would you alter the intros from the cracking group though?

imported games usually had 2 intros, one from the cracking group and one from the importer.
2021-03-10 20:35
BruceLee

@Remdy Just like Oswald said. We added our own intros. You can download some of the games from the FoF page and see some of the intros if you like.
2021-03-11 21:25
Count Zero

Shortcut https://intros.c64.org/group/fof
2021-03-12 21:10
TheRyk

Remdy: In the late 80s you'd
a) link your own import intro
b) rip all the intros and claim you'd have cracked it = what the flag "re-crack" is for

So a) is much preferrable from database point-of-view, even if b) was more underground.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Clown
Twoflower/ΤRIΛD
Airwolf/F4CG
tlr
iceout/Avatar/HF
Chrom_