Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Commodore 64: For the Love of a Machine
2017-03-15 18:13
Morpheus

Commodore 64: For the Love of a Machine

Hey guys!

I'm working on a book called "Commodore 64: For the Love of a Machine" which is a tribute to the Commodore 64, the people who created it, the people who used it, and the people who still use it today. From a scene perspective, there's going to be photos from various events like the X parties, pixel graphics from the likes of Mermaid, Pal and Mirage plus an in-depth interview with Mr.Z.

Most of the content in the book has already been decided upon, but as I will crowdfund it, there's the possibility of more pages. My plan is if lots of sceners support the book, there will be more scene stuff in those extra pages.

My question to you is, what would you like to see on those pages? What I've been thinking about is a special on cracking and I've also been trying to get hold of Crossbow/Crest for an interview (although he seems to have gone into hiding.)

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to see in the book and also check out the video teaser I released today: http://bit.ly/2mN3dWl.

... 40 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-03-22 10:34
Morpheus

Quote: You should contact dipswitch. He got tons of material (letters, envelopes aso.) from us for his Got Papers project. He also got such material from Honey/1001 and others.

I've been thinking about that, but I want to try to use as much exclusive material as possible. That doesn't that I won't do exceptions though. I got swapletters from Honey to Mr.Z so it could be fun borrow some from Dipswitch to see a part of their conversation. That could be the next step for Dipswitch I think to put letters between people in order. Something to do for retirement, ey? :)
2017-03-22 10:38
Morpheus

Quote: Would be interesting if you added something about the modern C64 cracking scene; attitudes, philosophies, what drives people to preserve the scene etc, compared to the views of the old days.

What is there to say about the cracking scene today you think? Are there any challenges that the crackers face with new games? Of course, if you're installing new loaders etc., you can have your hands full, but apart from that.

The nice vibe of todays scene will definitely be seen through all the images I've taken. There will be some anecdotes here and there from people in the current scene to build on that vibe too.
2017-03-22 10:41
Morpheus

Quote: Yes, and also the scene history preservation projects (first and foremost csdb of course, but many others as well, like intros.c64.org or Jazzcat's mag archive) are certainly of interest - maybe it even motivates some readers to salvage that dusty disk box from the attic and send it over to The Transfer Team. :-)

The Transfer Team? Never heard of them before. ;) The preserving part should definitely be mentioned as it's a big part of the scene right now. And you're right, it might motivate people to dig out those disks and tapes! Thanks man!
2017-03-24 16:07
Sledge

Quote: What is there to say about the cracking scene today you think? Are there any challenges that the crackers face with new games? Of course, if you're installing new loaders etc., you can have your hands full, but apart from that.

The nice vibe of todays scene will definitely be seen through all the images I've taken. There will be some anecdotes here and there from people in the current scene to build on that vibe too.

I would say that efforts like Commando Arcade and such "remakes" is a challenge beyond installing new loaders and might be of interest for the readers. Not sure if that fits into your vision of the book though.

Otherwise, spend most pages with stuff about WAQ and a nice pic of me in speedos infront of my C64. Strictly data! :)
2017-03-26 13:35
Morpheus

In fact, Tom-Cat will be writing a little about the creation of the Ghosts'n Goblins remake, so good call my friend.

Sledge, is it ok if I put you on the cover? I need a handsome scener on there. ;)
2017-03-26 15:30
hedning

Quote: What is there to say about the cracking scene today you think? Are there any challenges that the crackers face with new games? Of course, if you're installing new loaders etc., you can have your hands full, but apart from that.

Even if there are copy protections here and there even today, the cracking scene is more about two things: 1. Uphold the tradition and still compete with first releases, which includes keeping real boards running, making diskmags, and dealing with immense digital atcheology to find lost and rare and unknown games. 2. Making really great remakes and top notch versions of games, which takes both time, energy, skill and more. You both have the remakes (Ultima IV remastered, GnG arcade etc) and completely shaped up and restored/bugfixed firstreleases like Labyrinth of Crete (took us months).
2017-03-30 12:27
Morpheus

Guyz, my C64 book tribute is now live on Kickstarter: http://kck.st/2oB8jCX. Please check it out, spread the word and pledge to get the book funded. It would be a true privilege to do it! The more sceners that support it, the more scene stuff will end up in the final book.

Hedning, I'll get back to you as soon as things have cooled down a little bit. :)
2017-03-31 19:48
anonym

Yay for Morpheus. Looking forward to it my friend... backed :)
2017-04-01 11:17
MaD ][

Backed a couple of days ago :)
2017-04-01 11:24
Morpheus

Many thanks for the support Anonym and MaD ][! :)

@Hedning: Who would you like to see interviewed for an article like that, apart from the people that did the remakes? They are all very impressive by the way!
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
d0c
.jetan/AI-supported ..
Skyhawk/Triad
ϵʟʞ/ₐтₐ
MCM/ONSLAUGHT
bugjam