Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > WinVice 3.1 speed/performance on Ultrabooks?
2017-05-12 09:29
Dano

WinVice 3.1 speed/performance on Ultrabooks?

Currently i am coding on an Asus UX32VD Ultrabook (which should have some like an Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9 GHz in it). As of WinVice3.1 using x64 with FastSid does not work correctly anymore. Visuals yes, but Sound sometimes totally goes south (no filters and such).

From the Vice people i was told to use ReSid as FastSid is not supported anymore.

Now my problems start: With using ReSid WinVice drops to like 24fps on my system. Using x64sc with Resid gives me like 8fps.

Looking at procmon it seems like one core is maxed out as CPU load never goes over 24% (the graphs show a different picture as none seems to be properly used).

My workhorse laptop at the office can run x64+resid nicely and properly, but okay it got way more power than my ultrabook will have.

Somehow i got the feeling that my system (Win10 Creators) is not really working properly anymore.

That's why i am asking here.. Any of you guys got a laptop compareable to mine and how's WinVice working on your system? Or what are the general performance reports for WinVice3.1?

Before i go into the ordeal of doing a complete re-install i would like to hear what other experience with WinVice currently. If it's problem on my side, or if it's just how well WinVice works on lower spec (sort of) laptops..

... 56 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-05-17 08:58
algorithm

You can try using HW monitor and monitoring temperatures before you run Vice and during. This will show you the multipliers as well as temperatures of the CPU cores.

Usually during boot/reboot, there is more cpu activity. Leave it for a few minutes, run hwmonitor, monitor the multiplier/temperatures, then run vice. Indication of throttling is when the temperatures go up (and multipliers are at a high state) then multipliers reducing after.

For some users, turning off turboboost (set 99% under cpu max speed in power settings) can help (even at non-turbo, your CPU should still have (Just about) sufficient power to run x64sc at 50fps.
2017-05-17 11:17
soci

Quote: Quote:
the terrible sound- and sync- code that needs to be deleted and rewritten.

This is likely only a problem on Win32. According to a quick search the Sleep function used currently is only as good as the timer tick which is rumoured to have a 64 Hz resolution.

First I would say this function in the arch code should be replaced with something better before going for a complete rewrite of the generic part. Maybe just putting a NtSetTimerResolution call somewhere might also do the trick.

I don't seem have sync problems on Linux but that's not a fair comparison as this OS got rid of the fixed 100/1000 Hz ticks many years ago...
2017-05-17 11:53
Dano

Algorithm has won the cup for me!

Have been google'ing on "ux32vd throttling" and it seems there is a bug in intel's DPTF windows 10 driver.

before using cpu-z it showed that my cpu speed was locked to 998mhz due to throttling. doing a restart gave it back up to 1900mhz resulting in 39fps in x64sc with resid and crt.

doing a downgrade to the windows8 DPTF drivers resulted in a clockspeed of 2800mhz giving me the full power of the laptop back. resulting in constant 50fps at 100% speed in vice.

summing up: in my case it has not been windows but faulty (intel) drivers on my laptop causing the slowdown.

me will keep an eye on that if there's throttling again with not locking the processor there after cool down.

and it's good to see that it was not just just a feeling that the laptop performed below par.
2017-05-17 14:38
chatGPZ

soci: depending on what sound system i use, i can reproduce various problems on linux as well... the core problem is how the timing is derived using a different source than how many samples have been played. that way you never get the timing right and keep meandering around a point that is "almost right" - which is why the fps goes up and down, for example.
2017-05-22 01:53
Slajerek

Yes, it plays very wrong.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
MAT64
iAN CooG/HVSC
Shake/Role
alwyz/udi
Matt