Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...
2017-06-27 16:38
ptoing

What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...

I recently started to go through a lot of art on here to put on my SD card for enjoyment on real hardware purposes.

Then I came across Industrial Dawn which is just a picture with music. I don't see anything else going on. (That said, it is really nice, both music and pic).

It is entered as One-File Demo, while a lot of pictures with music (could link a whole bunch by Mermaid for example, but also loads others), which are just entered as Graphics.

I guess there is no super easy way to draw a line here. Any thoughts?

IMO, demo would include at least some kind of effect, or a scroller maybe. But then people had a discussion about this when I released my Headache pic in the gfx compo at X'10.

... 107 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-06-30 04:52
lft

Quoting Compyx

So people would enter a release in three categories?

A production would only get released once, presumably, because most compos have rules that disqualify re-releases.

The point is that the category reflects something about the release (the event of releasing a production), and not about the production itself.

What's unclear is how the database should model an event where the same production competes in multiple compos. This is probably rare enough that it could be represented by multiple releases. But consider the X'16 demo compo, which included a one-filer award. How do we label the releases that qualified for both awards? Main intention of the submitter?
2017-06-30 07:14
jailbird

Tags? Yeah, sure. You guys are fighting a battle already lost.

I have tried to lobby for them a bunch of times, but eventually gave up. I guess there are more important things to fix/implement on CSDb, a tagging feature would be somewhere on the end of the to-do list.

Here's the tags thread where you could go wild about them:

Tags (yet again)
2017-06-30 07:35
rail slave

Quote: Tags? Yeah, sure. You guys are fighting a battle already lost.

I have tried to lobby for them a bunch of times, but eventually gave up. I guess there are more important things to fix/implement on CSDb, a tagging feature would be somewhere on the end of the to-do list.

Here's the tags thread where you could go wild about them:

Tags (yet again)

Also, some times you want to name your pix some ultra obscure, hipster, 4th wall kind of thing...

not the obvious stuff name, which would get you visibility.

I've kind of resigned to spamming AKA with "tag names"
2017-06-30 10:48
Han

On other systems (i.e. PC) the differentiation is quite simple and could be applied to the C64 as well. At least as a rule for entries at demo parties: Only pure data-files are allowed for the graphics and music-compo. That means the picture or soundfile must be delivered in a well documented format and the organizers define which formats are allowed. On PC that usually means JPG and MP3/MOD.

Those are competitions for graphicians and musicians, so NO proprietary code should be allowed. Every entry should be shown with a viewer/player that is chosen by the organizers and announced in the party invitation.
You discovered a new way to switch the C64 to 16M colors in HD-resolution? Fine, hand it in in the demo competition.
2017-06-30 11:37
lft

That is an interesting and relevant piece of input, especially for people who run compos.

But CSDb is an attempt to document what goes on at demoparties. It's not the other way around. We can't ask compo organisers to do things differently just because it would fit the current database scheme better.

On a side note, I'm not sure that it makes sense to switch from executables to data files for music compos. Once in a while, as an experiment, sure. But, in corpspeak, music compos are driving innovation in playroutine technology. It's fascinating to see what people can make the sid chip do when they have 100% CPU power available.
2017-06-30 12:31
jailbird

I'd love to see/compete in a compo where only static native C64 modes are alloved (standard char, hires or multicolor).
2017-06-30 12:51
v3to

Quote: I'd love to see/compete in a compo where only static native C64 modes are alloved (standard char, hires or multicolor).

same here.
2017-06-30 14:17
ptoing

Yeah, I would like that too. I suggested that above. But it would have to be announced in advance, if it was a party. Which should not be a big deal.

If you wanted 2 compos (one for native, one for hacks), you might not get a lot of entries per compo, depending on how big the party is. But in general I would love to see a compo that is just for native formats.
2017-06-30 15:13
chatGPZ

i'd love to SEE such a compo - coz plain hires/multicolor stuff is where the true skills shine. fuck those newfangled hypemodes.
2017-06-30 15:30
TheRyk

pretty much the same here

when I see whatever-FLI gfx, in more than 95% cases I just look at the output and think: "why spooky mode?/why not plain HiRes/MC?"

This applies even for many of the few really good gfx in hanky-panky formats.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
CA$H/TRiAD
JonEgg
psych
hedning/G★P
icon/The Silents, Sp..
cadaver/covertbitops