Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...
2017-06-27 16:38
ptoing

What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...

I recently started to go through a lot of art on here to put on my SD card for enjoyment on real hardware purposes.

Then I came across Industrial Dawn which is just a picture with music. I don't see anything else going on. (That said, it is really nice, both music and pic).

It is entered as One-File Demo, while a lot of pictures with music (could link a whole bunch by Mermaid for example, but also loads others), which are just entered as Graphics.

I guess there is no super easy way to draw a line here. Any thoughts?

IMO, demo would include at least some kind of effect, or a scroller maybe. But then people had a discussion about this when I released my Headache pic in the gfx compo at X'10.

... 107 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-07-05 19:30
soci

Most of his latest stuff are demos anyway.

I've almost choose demo for this back then. And this was fun to do as well.
2017-07-06 18:12
Compyx

Quoting soci
If the coder spent more time on the release than the graphician than it's a demo.

How would that work for new formats? I usually code my own native editors for some new/non-standard format.
And actually coding and testing the editor usually takes longer than finally creating an image in it. (Admittedly I'm both the coder and the graphician, so in my case it's a bit of a grey area)

How about this: if there's a publicly available editor for a given format and the release has the image in a file format handled by the editor, then it's graphics. If the editor is not publicly available, or music/scrolls etc. are added, it's a demo.
2017-07-13 23:00
Copyfault

Isn't the chosen category of a release more or less an important part of the release itself? The artist (I choose this phrase on purpose!) wants his product to be seen as a certain thing, so by choosing the category the artist also puts a focus.

As said before nobody seems to discuss if it is necessary to distinguish between a "normal" music release and a music release with coding tricks (would multiple speed tunes be "normal" when thinking this way???).

For me everything that exclusively outputs a static image (be it interlaced or no) is a graphic - just as everything that outputs sound (and nothing more) is a music release.

Defining a gfx with dependence on available editors would outrule any future gfx mode - which I think is a valuable ingredient of the c64's magic.

But then again, I'm looking at this with a coder's eye, and -as with everything connected with art- milleague may vary ;)
2017-07-13 23:17
chatGPZ

Quote:
Isn't the chosen category of a release more or less an important part of the release itself? The artist (I choose this phrase on purpose!) wants his product to be seen as a certain thing, so by choosing the category the artist also puts a focus.

the artist should then explain whatever he thinks needs explaining on his website, in the release, in a readme... or whatever.

however, entries in csdb are not about what some artist thinks or demands it to be.
2017-07-14 21:06
Compyx

Quoting Copyfault

Defining a gfx with dependence on available editors would outrule any future gfx mode - which I think is a valuable ingredient of the c64's magic.

Thought about that too, perhaps the first time a 'new' gfx mode is released, we call it a demo. And future releases, when an editor is available, can be called graphics.
2017-07-15 12:40
Deev

Is the problem here that we’re trying to rigidly fit everything into one category, when sometimes a release could actually fit a number of categories? Databases cataloging music, film, art etc. wouldn’t usually restrict an entry to just one genre/theme, because many releases break those boundaries.

If someone invents a new graphics mode and it’s first released as a standalone picture, that release should be categorised as a demo, but if we would categorise every release that follows as a C64 graphic, then to me it makes sense that the first release should also be a C64 graphic.

If you strip things down purely to the functionality of a database (as always seems to happen when people suggest new features), then you should certainly be able to query graphics in a certain mode and receive all releases in that mode, including the first. Similarly, you should probably be able to query something like "demos which premiere a new graphics mode".
2017-07-15 15:55
Oswald

yep, pointless to argue, releases will never only fit certain boxes.

maybe tags could help, then a release could be both gfx and demo :)
2017-07-15 21:53
Shine

Quoting Oswald
yep, pointless to argue, releases will never only fit certain boxes.

maybe tags could help, then a release could be both gfx and demo :)

Yep i agree. Tags would be a very fine feature generally!
2017-07-16 12:31
Copyfault

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:

the artist should then explain whatever he thinks needs explaining on his website, in the release, in a readme... or whatever.

Yes, that would be fine (though when having "real art" in mind, a f**king lot of artists never shared their thoughts on their productions, leaving the consumer alone).

Quoting Groepaz

however, entries in csdb are not about what some artist thinks or demands it to be.

But the release itself is! And as a db for gathering information on everything C64-scene related the CSDb-entry should just reflects that, no?
2017-07-16 12:42
chatGPZ

the point is that all entries should be categorized using the exact same rules. once it is allowed for everyone to apply their own ideas, chaos is the result. (and thats also why users cant add random tags)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fungus/Nostalgia
Cybortech/Graffity
Guests online: 69
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)