Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...
2017-06-27 16:38
ptoing

What is Onefile Demo, what is Graphics...

I recently started to go through a lot of art on here to put on my SD card for enjoyment on real hardware purposes.

Then I came across Industrial Dawn which is just a picture with music. I don't see anything else going on. (That said, it is really nice, both music and pic).

It is entered as One-File Demo, while a lot of pictures with music (could link a whole bunch by Mermaid for example, but also loads others), which are just entered as Graphics.

I guess there is no super easy way to draw a line here. Any thoughts?

IMO, demo would include at least some kind of effect, or a scroller maybe. But then people had a discussion about this when I released my Headache pic in the gfx compo at X'10.

... 107 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-07-15 21:53
Shine

Quoting Oswald
yep, pointless to argue, releases will never only fit certain boxes.

maybe tags could help, then a release could be both gfx and demo :)

Yep i agree. Tags would be a very fine feature generally!
2017-07-16 12:31
Copyfault

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:
Isn't the chosen category of a release more or less an important part of the release itself? The artist (I choose this phrase on purpose!) wants his product to be seen as a certain thing, so by choosing the category the artist also puts a focus.

the artist should then explain whatever he thinks needs explaining on his website, in the release, in a readme... or whatever.

Yes, that would be fine (though when having "real art" in mind, a f**king lot of artists never shared their thoughts on their productions, leaving the consumer alone).

Quoting Groepaz

however, entries in csdb are not about what some artist thinks or demands it to be.

But the release itself is! And as a db for gathering information on everything C64-scene related the CSDb-entry should just reflects that, no?
2017-07-16 12:42
chatGPZ

the point is that all entries should be categorized using the exact same rules. once it is allowed for everyone to apply their own ideas, chaos is the result. (and thats also why users cant add random tags)
2017-07-16 12:58
hedning

Quote: the point is that all entries should be categorized using the exact same rules. once it is allowed for everyone to apply their own ideas, chaos is the result. (and thats also why users cant add random tags)

+1
2017-07-16 13:08
Copyfault

Quoting Han
On other systems (i.e. PC) the differentiation is quite simple and could be applied to the C64 as well. At least as a rule for entries at demo parties: Only pure data-files are allowed for the graphics and music-compo. That means the picture or soundfile must be delivered in a well documented format and the organizers define which formats are allowed. On PC that usually means JPG and MP3/MOD.
[...]

I think this won't work as graphics on C64 are not that standardized* like e.g. on PC.

But the idea to look at how it is handled on other platforms got me thinking. Ususally there are certain boundaries given for resolution and the amount of colours (for example, a PC gfx release must be 1920x1080pix max @ 32bit colour depth on most parties). What about carrying this over to C64, so everything that is 404x312pix@16Colours** is a valid gfx entry for a compo. Choosing the C64's colour palette, this would only allow C64 gfx releases**; choosing a different palette would result in what is nowadays called Oldschool GFX iiuc.

*) this ofcourse reveals I'm still a fan of explicitly allowing fancy modes for gfx-releases

**) I know this ignores the different C64-specific restrictions in/outside the main 320x200 screen window but I just wanted to give a first proposal.
2017-07-16 13:19
chatGPZ

somehow i dont get what the problem is with this at all. "prg file that can be run and shows a still picture" is pretty clear to me.
2017-07-16 19:17
Moloch

I've held off responding to this long meandering thread so that everyone could get their pet ideas about categories out. To me the c64 scene is partially about putting your own little spin on things, trying to be original and creative on a very limiting "toy machine" by today's standards. So it is understandable when a clean cut consensus about release categories can't be made. I knew the thread would be long winded and nobody, outside of a few current and past staffers, would truly agree on what is and isn't a "graphics release" or a "one file demo".

Quoting Groepaz
the point is that all entries should be categorized using the exact same rules. once it is allowed for everyone to apply their own ideas, chaos is the result. (and thats also why users cant add random tags)

and

Quoting Groepaz
somehow i dont get what the problem is with this at all. "prg file that can be run and shows a still picture" is pretty clear to me.

... and these are music entries ->
Flat City
Shapeshifter

Anything more elaborate than those examples aren't music entries and should be filed under "one file demo". If your "music release" would be categorized as a demo in the late 1980s, guess what, it is still a demo in 2017.
2017-07-16 19:31
Shine

Fact is, that there are a couple if missunderstandigs / ambiguities with "release types".
This thread is a proof of this (at least).

Let us try to improve CSDb with features which increase the transparency for example.

Or do you think CSDb is perfect like it is? *sigh*
2017-07-16 20:03
Moloch

Quoting Shine
Let us try to improve CSDb with features which increase the transparency for example.

Or do you think CSDb is perfect like it is? *sigh*

CSDb is far from perfect, but it also isn't a democracy. Very rarely does anything come out of these threads that is useful for the staff. When something does catch one of the staffers eye we then have to get the rest of the staff to agree (not easy) and then wait for the changes to be implemented. There is already a long list of features and functions that need to be implemented, large portions of which have been on that list since pre-2014.
2017-07-16 20:07
Shine

Quoting Moloch
There is already a long list of features and functions that need to be implemented, large portions of which have been on that list since pre-2014.

Well, then there is hope for all of us! :D
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
AMB/Level 64
hedning/G★P
Mason/Unicess
iAN CooG/HVSC
WVL/Xenon
Mythus/Delysid