Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > HDMI upscaling on a budget
2017-11-27 12:05
MagerValp

HDMI upscaling on a budget

I love my CRT to death, but sometimes a more compact option is needed. Does anyone know of an HDMI upscaler that doesn't cost $400, outputs 50 Hz without artifacts or dropping frames, and shows aspect correct 4:3 with black bars on a 16:9 display? The $30 converters on eBay are crap. Specifically, has anyone tried these KanexPro converters? http://www.kanexpro.com/converters/composite/

... 68 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2017-12-20 12:36
Dano

Quote: Why there is 2 times bigger price on amazon.de?

and which one should I buy?

https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft

They now sell the Framemeister with EU Delivery/Option, get that one. Will be less hassle with customs. And better get a english decal for the remote if you're not that good with japanese.. :D
2017-12-20 12:36
soci

Is Duty+VAT included?
2017-12-20 13:02
Dano

Quote: Is Duty+VAT included?

Special offer for European customers: Receive your XRGB Framemeister directly from within the EU and avoid all import fees and customs troubles. We wholeheartedly recommend this option to our customers in the EU:

Guaranteed no arguing with customs inspections
    Guaranteed no additional import fees
    No shipping costs for express delivery
    You save up to 4000 yen compared to the import from Japan

This offer is only valid for shipping addresses in the EU.

The unit includes an international power adapter (Japanese plug), an RGB cable adapter and a remote control.

stated here:

https://solarisjapan.com/products/eu-tax-free-xrgb-mini-frameme..
2017-12-20 13:48
CreaMD

They have option there where you can choose price of the goods to avoid VAT. Also there is some price where it's a bit higher but still less than 600 EUR on german amazon.

Edit: Yeah as Dano said. I think it is the best option. Still awesome price.
2017-12-20 15:00
Dano

Quote: They have option there where you can choose price of the goods to avoid VAT. Also there is some price where it's a bit higher but still less than 600 EUR on german amazon.

Edit: Yeah as Dano said. I think it is the best option. Still awesome price.

The price really is annoying, but still the device offers a brilliant and so far flawless image. Weasel got one connected to his beamer and it's always a pleasure to look at. Way better than anything i saw until now (and i wish they used that one at Revision, as the c64 just looks horrible there..).

Would be nice to see some examples from that retrotink if that's worth the wait after all. Still i think the upscaling from that output may still yield some artifacts on beamers and tvs..
2017-12-20 15:13
chatGPZ

are you saying an imagepro-hd is worse than this framemeister thing?

can i have some of the stuff you are smoking, please? =)
2017-12-20 15:33
Dano

Quote: are you saying an imagepro-hd is worse than this framemeister thing?

can i have some of the stuff you are smoking, please? =)

excuse when i found the colors of reluge on the bigscreen more than dull and unpleasing.

so yes, framemeister may then be better.

or it's some other jingle-jangle happening there.
and yes, this was not just my humble opinion. period.
2017-12-20 15:41
chatGPZ

you are comparing apple and oranges there really. i am 100% positive that an imagepro delivers a (far) better picture than this consumer stuff when its connected to the same display device. i am also 100% positive that framemeister would not be of much help with connecting a c64 to a 4k beamer like the one used at revision. and i am also 100% positive that if you are not pleased with the quality, and you know how to improve it, the revision team will be more than happy to let you help doing it. i am not quite 100% positive though that this is actually the case :)
2017-12-20 17:01
Deev

I'd recommend Solaris Japan. I've bought from them a few times over the years. I bought my Framemeister using the EU option and all went smoothly. I presume the listings on Amazon are just someone trying to make money from people who don't know where to buy one. They occasionally go out of stock at Solaris.

I don't know anything about the imagepro-hd, but I'm guessing obsolete 8/16 bit computer graphics weren't really what it was designed for. Some very high end equipment can do a pretty awful job with these signals.

Take a look here:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de

There are processors that were sold for several thousand euros when new, which do a fairly mediocre job on the 240p tests.
2017-12-20 17:19
chatGPZ

Quote:
I don't know anything about the imagepro-hd, but I'm guessing obsolete 8/16 bit computer graphics weren't really what it was designed for.

they are designed to convert anything to anything. they dont care how "obsolete" the signal is, and they do everything that framemeister thing can do - and then some.

however, what they dont have are the typical oversaturated colors which are characteristic for most consumer grade video equipment :) it might just be a matter of adjusting a few settings to get the same (probably better) image from an imagepro, if what you are after are those screaming colors.

the problem here really is that some things you might perceive as "better" is really just what you are used to from what you have seen for decades. eg i have heard quite often from various people that the picture of a sony pvm monitor looks "bad" to them - when in objective terms its really much better than what most other (consumer) monitors can deliver. (for example because the typical "scanlines" are much more visible on the pvm than they are on eg a 1701).
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
acrouzet/G★P
Guests online: 302
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)