Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > The voting system is completely retarded
2018-03-31 19:37
jailbird

The voting system is completely retarded

I just can't wrap my head around this unmitigated, pure crap we use for voting. Here's a situation where I actually have to vote waaaay lower than it deserves, in order to increase a release's rating.

This is simply ridiculous.

"Hey, this release is really cool, I'll give it a tenner."

"WTF, the rating got lower?!? Ok, maybe it counts as an illicit upvote and it is filtered with some clever algorythm, let's go with 9 then."

"Damn, now it's way lower than it would be without my vote. Maybe an 8 will help?"

"Nah, this is getting worse, but let's see what happens if I vote with a 7."

"Shit, still no good, I'll jump to an ever lower number just for the sake of experiencing more of this shit."

"Oh great, now we're getting somewhere, one more try."

"YEY! I love this release, so it will get a 6 from me."

... 66 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-04-01 15:47
jailbird

Quoting Oswald
so you ABuse the voting system to increase the release's rating and not to display your opinion about it. unanonymous upvota coward!
Calm your tits, Oswald. I just illustrated the stupidity of the voting system. Changed back my vote to 10 after that.

Quoting Oswald
btw whats so super cool in this release ? removing every 2nd column from the system front is super easy. then claiming its a new screenmode, when it isnt? have you tried to run it and check what it really does? :)
I just like it, it's my favorite from the compo. I know shit about coding, it's just appealing to me, the cute little flickering fonts increased my dopamine level and that's about it. I'm pretty sure that you have high opinion of some graphics which were easier to make than pushing out a fart in the wind. We all have different perspectives depending on our frames of reference. And this topic isn't about the release anyway.
2018-04-01 16:17
Oswald

so as a graphic artist your favourite is the one which removes every 2nd column, and displays that with a 25hz flicker ? I'm shockad man ! :D
2018-04-01 16:40
Peacemaker

remove the anonymous voting and improve the system. cant be sooo difficult ;)
2018-04-01 17:35
Mr.Ammo
Account closed

Quoting קєคςє๓คкєг

Please look at it this way: Non-anonymous voting encourages the average person to vote what is socially desirable / acceptable. People need to be given the freedom to vote whatever they want without the possibility of repercussions.

Dishonesty (also in voting) is almost always caused by a conflict of interest.
2018-04-01 18:31
Linus

Quote: Quoting קєคςє๓คкєг

Please look at it this way: Non-anonymous voting encourages the average person to vote what is socially desirable / acceptable. People need to be given the freedom to vote whatever they want without the possibility of repercussions.

Dishonesty (also in voting) is almost always caused by a conflict of interest.

This!

To really solve „the problem“ just vote more.
2018-04-01 18:32
Joe

Vote more!
2018-04-01 18:39
GH

People can vote up or down whatever they want, just not
anonymous IMH

But sure~ Courage The Cowardly Dog ;)
2018-04-01 19:02
jailbird

Quote:
To really solve „the problem“ just vote more.
The same exact thing was said when we started to encounter this issue. "Just vote more, it will get better"

Well, more than 15 years has passed, and nothing has changed, at all.

But yeah, maybe this problem will solve itself 30 years from now once we're all six feet under the ground so no one is left to complain.
2018-04-01 19:19
Cruzer

Trying to solve the problem with downvoting by implementing some clever, secret algorithm probably creates more problems than it solves. Guess a better solution would be to make all votes public, so the downvoters were exposed.
2018-04-01 19:37
jailbird

I neither do think that it would be a good idea to fully eliminate anonymous voting. I have personal experience when I was seriously threatened by someone who was very dissatisfied with a lower vote of mine. I couldn't care less, but I can imagine that it could be a really distressing experience for some, so they'd rather keep their votes anonymous in order to avoid these situations.

But how about:

1. Not allowing to comment on a release unless a vote is submitted (just like on Pouet), this would encourage voting.
2. Anonymous voters wouldn't be allowed to rate too high or too low values (this was suggested by TDJ years ago), this would eliminate anonymous up- and downvoting.

Not the perfect solutions, but they would definitely improve the system a bit.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
hedning/G★P
niallquinn
Didi/Laxity
Dymo/G★P
iceout/Avatar/HF
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)