Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > 24h rules for First Releases & board list extension
2018-05-10 12:17
Didi

24h rules for First Releases & board list extension

Moved this topic to the forum because it does not only belong to a special release.

In this topic the 3 lists are different:

The rules for Jazzcats list (Vandalism News) is not very precise on that topic.
"The group uploading to the majority of official sites within 24 hours of the initial first release or NTSC/PAL import will receive the points."

The rule in Game Corner (even not released for a while) is very precise here:
"If more than one group uploads a first release or PAL/NTSC import of the same game within 24 hours, the group which has its release available for download as first on the majority of official sites will get the points."
That's why we have an uneven amount of release boards.

The Propaganda List (lately published in Attitude #18) is precise as well, but different:
"You need to be first on all three boards to win the race. In other words: Make sure you spread your warez."

As an example the current release of "Hyperzap". The Facts:
* Uploaded first on Reflections by Laxity. Half hour later for Fairlight (by hedning/GP on behalf).
* Uploaded first ot Antidote by Laxity. Half hour later for Fairlight (by hedning/GP on behalf).
* The Hidden was unreachable. 15 hours later The Hidden was back. Uploaded first for Fairlight (by hedning/GP on behalf). 2 hours later by Laxity. Both within 24 hours to first upload by Laxity on Reflections.

Winner by list (by my understanding):
Vandalism News: Laxity. After Fairlight upload on The Hidden: Fairlight.
Game Corner: Laxity. First on 2 of 3 boards = majority. Point.
Proapaganda List: Laxity. After Fairlight upload on The Hidden: Fairlight.

This is a special situation. It is not uncommon that one or more boards is unreachable. But it is uncommon that it is back within the 24 timeframe and someone takes the chance to win the race ca. 20 hours after the first upload.

Best interpretation in terms of "winning a race" is in my opinion the rule of Game Corner (not just because it is mine).

And I would like to extend the list of counted boards by RapidFire which proved to be very reliable. To get an un uneven amount we would need a 5th one. My eye is on Raveolution or Frozen Floppy but none of them has proved the needed stability and availability yet. Until they do, I would opt for RapidFire as a fallback to count if situation is not clear due to unreachability of others.

This is my point to be discussed. Let's start...

... 62 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-05-14 21:07
Smasher

oh yes, I agree. human couriering was funny at the beginning, but scripts was the natural evolution.
2018-05-14 21:34
Jazzcat

hmm cannot remember when and who the group member upload rule was invoked/adopted. happy to change it.
I am curious why a group member cannot upload though. maybe i email hedning my releases for upload if i am not at home :)
2018-05-14 21:34
Bacchus

Scripts being the natural evolution? Like having carts with two horses instead of one. When you can leapfrog to web-based solutions. Or is that natural revolutions?

Starting to dig around in the set of rules there are other stranded aspects;
providing a trainer or supply an original to another group, and both groups get full points. That means that for a game worth x, then 2x is distributed. If put into system, two groups could agree that one crack and one train (sometimes one, and sometimes the other) and they would both get full points for all the participation. The only thing that makes sense here is breaking down points for crack and distribute it according to the participation of the respective group.

Rules claiming 30 years legacy and still this flawed...
2018-05-14 21:47
Smasher

Quote:
Scripts being the natural evolution? Like having carts with two horses instead of one. When you can leapfrog to web-based solutions. Or is that natural revolutions?

(I'm still talking about peecee offtopic here) yes, natural evolution coz when scripts were introduced you could not compete anymore with your human couriering job as you did before. you could adopt the new method or just become extinct. BBS is a diff story here. and they evolved too, nobody dials up to connect, or? :)
2018-05-14 21:55
hedning

Quote: hmm cannot remember when and who the group member upload rule was invoked/adopted. happy to change it.
I am curious why a group member cannot upload though. maybe i email hedning my releases for upload if i am not at home :)

When I was on a vacation, I got help from Taper once, and I have helped Dr. Strange more than once, when needed, and he asked me to help. I believe he helped me with one board or so when I had to take care of sick kids.

Most groups have one guy doing all the uploading, and in 95% of the cases the stuff are uploaded by that one guy (me in GP for example). I don't see the problem having friends help out when needed, and they ask for it. It's just silly to think that a first release would be disqualified just because of that.

First must mean first. Disqualifying a real first release just because the uploader on one board is not in the releaser group is just strange.

Maybe I am missing something here? Is there some sort of idea that this would lead to abusing the rules in some way? I don't get it.
2018-05-14 22:20
chatGPZ

Or, you could ask a friend to make a website where you can upload the file too, and then the webserver runs a script to upload it to BBSs!
2018-05-14 22:37
Jazzcat

reminds me of the courier concept back in the day.
2018-05-15 05:01
Goat

I think that the "own members upload only" was to prevent the upload of rereleases back then: if someone else is able to upload legit releases of other groups then his upload of rereleases would have to be counted, too.

BTW: I'd also prefer a ftp site upload with correct time stamp... like TDD once was.
2018-05-15 06:44
hedning

Quote: I think that the "own members upload only" was to prevent the upload of rereleases back then: if someone else is able to upload legit releases of other groups then his upload of rereleases would have to be counted, too.

BTW: I'd also prefer a ftp site upload with correct time stamp... like TDD once was.

That's a good point. However: I can't recall one single incident since 2010 when this has happened. We all know what's goin' down on the boards, and we know when some random Joe is going bananas, and can ignore that. :)
2018-05-15 17:33
Danzig

Quote: Or, you could ask a friend to make a website where you can upload the file too, and then the webserver runs a script to upload it to BBSs!

Always trying to spoil the fun, he? :-D
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
morphfrog
tlr
Majikeyric
Matt
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Chrom_