Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Game screenshots in Koala format
2020-08-30 21:57
CommFor

Game screenshots in Koala format

How to make lossless C64 game-screenshot in Koala format?

... 25 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2020-08-31 12:39
Youth

I made a tool that can convert from PNG to koala. If you disable dithering it might give decent results. Or not :)

https://github.com/micheldebree/retropixels
2020-08-31 13:21
chatGPZ

like i said before, you can make a koala snapshot using VICE. it wont get any better than this, other tools cant remove the restrictions either :)
2020-08-31 15:01
MagerValp

Quoting CommFor
in theory this should work without loosing details.

I don't know what you base that theory on since it's obviously not true. You need to read up on C64 graphics modes and their limitations.
2020-08-31 15:09
Deev

As everyone else has said, this isn't going to work (apart from perhaps games that don't use many colours and everything is in 160x200, unlike Mayhem).

If you want to take a screenshot of a game like Mayhem and convert it to a stand-alone C64 prg, your best bet would be Mufflon V1.0 although it's still unlikely to be perfect.
2020-08-31 16:52
CommFor

@youtH,
I'm sure your program is good for bigger pictures, but for small ones like C64 screenshots is not good at all, even without dithering. Pixcen is much better for conversion to Koala format.

@Groepaz,
Try to save Turrican II screenshots in Koala format with VICE. Messed-up screens without any visible graphics, nothing else.
On other hand, I have relatively decent results converting VICE Bitmap screenshots with Pixcen to Koala format. A bit blurry, and sometimes colours are also not accurate. I don't know why colours are problem here, it's same palette!
That means VICE doesn't give best results all the time with ripped game screenshots in KLA format.
I also don't like three keys should be pressed simultaneusly to take game screenshots in latest VICE version 3.4. Much less used shortcuts using two.

@MagerValp,
160x200, multicolour, Koala format, all that I need.

@Deev,
Thanks for suggestion. I will try it.
Can you also suggest program for doing opposite - converting prg file to koala?
Backbit Tool allowing to make slideshow of Koala pictures with SID included in BBT format. I would like to make Slideshow of best pictures according to CSDB ratings, but most of them are in prg format.

@All,
Reason why I'm looking for optimal results for game screenshots in Koala format is because I want to make BBT files out of C64 games - it's a BackBit format allowing slideshow up to 10 Koala pictures, 1 SID tune and text infos for each game (game is also included in BBT file).
If nobody helps, I will be on my own to rip and convert to KLA format few thousands game pictures, but before starting doing it, I need to find way to have most accurate graphical screenshot output in Koala format.
2020-08-31 17:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
Try to save Turrican II screenshots in Koala format with VICE. Messed-up screens without any visible graphics, nothing else.

you should report a bug then :) you have probably triggered a corner case where the conversion doesnt work right.
Quote:
I also don't like three keys should be pressed simultaneusly to take game screenshots in latest VICE version 3.4. Much less used shortcuts using two.

use the nightly build - then you can use the "pause" key to save screenshots with auto-generated names
2020-08-31 17:08
ChristopherJam

Unfortunately koala pics only allow you to have four colours in each character sized cell, and even then one of the four has to be common across the entire screen - it's a limitation of the graphics mode.

There are other c64 video modes that have fewer restrictions, but none that allow any multicolour pixel to be freely selected from the 16 c64 colours regardless of what the other pixels are set to.
2020-08-31 19:16
chatGPZ

That, and of course it gets even messier in games, when you have sprites on screen, and perhaps hires and multicolor elements.

Edit: i played around with it a bit... in Turrican its really bad :) Another problem is, when you have multicolor GFX on screen, and eg the play area is scrolled differently than some other part (score board), the whole color cell alignment is broken, and it will no more work in one koala image-

That said, i am rewriting the code in VICE to a more generic solution that will then also work with "mixed mode". Obviously still the same restrictions apply though :)
2020-09-01 08:55
Walt

You can use Picture Converter 4 :)

See this example : https://imgur.com/a/aYRyNF0

This version is not released yet but contact me if you want to try it out :)
2020-09-01 13:37
CommFor

@Walt, PM sent.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 304
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)