Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What future holds for the old floppies? (a question to collectors)
2021-04-19 10:58
Conrad

What future holds for the old floppies? (a question to collectors)

Pretty soon I'm going to be clearing out old shit in my home ... meanwhile I thought about the C64 floppy disks that I always kept a'hold of.

These were disks that my old man got back in 1990 and after my parents' bitter divorce two years later, I kept hold of them all the way through to now. Although they are practically useless to me these days (I don't even have a C64 wired up anymore), I never wanted to let go of them because it was the bread and butter of how I learnt to program on a computer, learn machine code and, ultimately, shape my career as it is today. (It was obviously the same for many others here)

Nevertheless, if I do fall off the knife edge and go ahead with giving my disks to someone who will archive them (probably Maestro in my case as we both live in the same area), I would like to know what the future holds for these old disks... What do you collectors have planned for old disks in the next 20/30 years, particularly those that have been already transferred? Do you plan to give them to your loved ones when you are no longer around ... or give them to another collector ... or throw them in the skip?

It may sound pathetic to some of you, but letting go off something that shaped your life and career 20+ years ago is not an easy decision. It would be interesting to know other's point of view on this matter.
2021-04-19 11:13
hedning

If you want to sell them after they have been transferred there is a market, but in my case I gave a lot of scener's disks to a collector that I know won't get rid of them.

For random disks I bought during the years and transferred, I just resell them, IF they don't belonged to some scener. Then see above.
2021-04-19 13:10
F7sus4

Speaking from a perspective of a person that happened to purchase ~600 5'25" disk colly from a random eBay guy in Berlin (ca. 2011) that also happened to be filled with scene/massive swap-related stuff back from the 80/90s, including private notes and letters, it felt awkward for me to go through someone else's stuff. I archived it, but never really browsed it, and filled the disks with my own data afterwards.

As a collector, I'm definitely not giving anything away, solely because of the sentimental value of the collection, incl. memorabilias from my C64 times. But if I ever decided to, all the stuff (not just floppy disks, but also a whole lot of 50+ Commodore computers, disk drives, monitors, and periphals) would probably be handed over to a long-time trusted person of mine that shares the same passion and would provide them their second life. Some of these folks already run or at least cooperate with local museums, which is also an idea.

I'm not sure if that's the kind of answer you were looking for, but here it is.
2021-04-19 15:45
Conrad

hedning: I'm not really interested in getting a bit of money out of these (unless I misunderstood you), so I would rather just hand them over to someone who will do something with them in their leisure time. To me they are just a few boxes dusting away in the wardrobe. (for now :))

F7sus4: I have a similar number of disks to you (700 approx), but I would say about 90% of the stuff on these disks are already archived now ... most I did myself a long time ago and the rest done by the transfer team at X'2014... and none of it is my own work other than a very small box of disks with stuff I wrote myself in late 90s/00s. So this is really more on what to do with the actual disks themselves. I certainly wouldn't like to see them dissappear into thin air ... like you say, finding the right people who you know and trust will look after them for as long as possible would be ideal. The museum thing is also interesting (I assume you're on about SMOK? ;)), but would it attract an audience?

I even went as far as trying to contact the original guy who sold those disks to my dad... I ended up with a small facebook message with his son who didn't have a clue what I was talking about. ;)
2021-04-19 16:06
Acidchild

i'm honest, i'm only interested in content of the disks, i've transfered thousands of disks, i can't keep them all. i'm here, if you want me to transfer the disks, you can have them back afterwards, but i wouldn't keep them forever.
2021-04-19 16:12
chatGPZ

The actual disks wont get better over time either.... more and more will fail and disintegrate.
2021-04-21 15:44
mhindsbo
Account closed

Only you can answer the sentimental question. I'm sure many of us have disks that mean the same and I am keeping mine until they disintegrate.

However as Groepaz said they wont get better so in any case get them transferred.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 91
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)