Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > What is the definition of PETSCII?
2022-10-06 19:48
anonym

What is the definition of PETSCII?

As we were reviewing past entries for Transmission64 3rd Edition (2022) and our rules (and other party's rules) in general, there were some questions that came up with regards to the the definition of PETSCII graphics.

For example, do you think that it's okay to turn multicolour mode on (but not bitmap mode)? Is it okay to use a custom font? What about ECM mode?

I'm curious to hear what others think... (famous last words on CSDb forums).

... 28 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2022-10-18 16:01
Frantic

Quote:
So SEQ files can be bigger than one screen, right. That means we'd need to allow scrolling?

in that case yes, due to the fact that seq files may include things like carriage return (and cursor down?).
2022-10-18 18:35
chatGPZ

Quote:
That means we'd need to allow scrolling?

IMHO display them via $ffd2 printing and at the equivalent of 2400 baud. That also opens the door for "overdraw animations", which were (are?) somewhat popular on BBSs.
2022-10-18 22:27
Seven

While Groepaz' suggestion probably gets it closest to what was experienced in the 80s, it'd be a pain to watch as a graphics competition.
If you want to allow scrolling (and I'm not saying that that's necessarily the way to go in my opinion - I just brought it up because mixed competitions usually give ANSI pieces an unfair advantage in that aspect), a soft scrolling SEQ viewer is the best way to go...

That does open a different can of worms though, because afaik not all drawing tools write proper SEQ files and you might have to deal with submissions in "wrong" formats.
2022-10-18 22:37
TheRyk

Quoting TheRyk
"If you can print it, it's PETSCII" (some wise dude some 10 years ago when we lead this discussion here and elsewhere)

Actually that dude WAS Groepaz :D

And if we somehow get BTT, his (groepaz') main doubt was at some point whether setting $d020 and $d021 are allowed. Some 10 years ago I also thought BBSes ARE BLACK and thus thought, that's why we've got categories BBS Graphics and PETSCII and forgot about it.

@Animations: Sure you could credit the one who smashed his head 1,000 times per screen on the keyboard for PETSCII graphics or _call_ it a PETSCII demo. And sure, it's up to any compo orga to set their own set of rules. But in a mere gfx compo, whatever >1 frame animation would make it a demo in my book (exceptions thinkable such as 2 frame gfx compos, but that's very special, I thought TS was asking for a "normal" compo)
2022-10-18 22:47
Deev

Quoting jab
In a compo context, to me the word PETSCII means "the art form"

I think this is the key point. We're talking about rules for a stand-alone graphics competition in 2022. Entries are required to be submitted as an executable PRG, so I don't really see why it matters what's possible on a BBS.

With this in mind, part of me thinks we could go wild and come up with allsorts of crazy ideas, but I also think the spec Holy Moses suggested is pretty solid.
2022-10-18 23:01
chatGPZ

Quote:
it'd be a pain to watch as a graphics competition.

I remember it was that way also for the Ascii/Ansi stuff at some point... I find the scrolling up/down/zoom in/out way its done now on some parties much more annoying. Especially the zoom out view is kind of lame and distorts the impression completely (and gives another unfair advantage to certain types of gfx).

That said, SEQ Viewer can scroll forth and back at least, no softscrolling though (which is fine imho, its petscii afterall) Also petconv (20190906) can produce runable files from .seq files (and other formats) - let me know if there is some feature missing (adding support for that weirdo $02+color stuff is already on my list :))
2022-10-18 23:10
Krill

I'm all for smooth scrolling!

As for restrictions, i think setting border and background colours is a-okay, but for some irrational reason i'd draw the line at hires charmode.
No ECM. multicolour, or even bitmap mode (and of course no raster tricks).
And either original ROM font, but not both in the same piece.
2022-10-19 04:52
anonym

I don't see us allowing scrolling at Transmission64 quite yet this time. I've updated our rules a little today. Thanks!
2022-10-19 16:46
Pararaum

So the rules would still allow for MC PETSCII, right? I am asking for a friend... ;-)
I think some flexibility and variation will make the competition more interesting. Or we need more (well defined) categories...
2022-10-19 17:32
anonym

Quote: So the rules would still allow for MC PETSCII, right? I am asking for a friend... ;-)
I think some flexibility and variation will make the competition more interesting. Or we need more (well defined) categories...

Please tell your friend ;-) , with the latest update this wouldn't be allowed this time around.

Quoting Current T64 rules

Animations, interlace, sprites, multiscreen, colour changes, ECM, multicolour settings, bitmap, scrolling and effects are not allowed.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
acrouzet/G★P
psych
TCE/Hokuto Force
fenz/SCC
A3/AFL