Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Games in demo-quality?
2006-07-06 11:34
Bamu®
Account closed

Games in demo-quality?

Does anybody know games in demo quality?
Shouldn't it possible to create simple puzzle games that reach the demo-level?

... 61 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2006-07-07 09:56
Graham
Account closed

Elite with filled vectors? No problem, buy an Amiga 500 :)
2006-07-07 09:58
enthusi

Yeah SoulCrystal indeed.
The last game I bought back then :)
Awesome Titlestuff and well done too.
Creatures2 as well I think.
I think its not very surprising to not have tons of games with open sideborders :)
And I think Turrican2 & Co sure have better optimized code for speed AND size than quite some demos do - so what?
Btw, nice Titlescreen in T2. The wave/mirrored text...
Uh, and Lemmings of course.
As of FLI - I agree, that was a true flood in the early 90s. I never liked that puzzle stuff though.
Afaik 5th gear uses plain vertical softscroll.
The Lucasfilm games (not the adv) like Fractulus and so on used rather advanced tricky gfx.
And to me 'the sentinel' looked like a odd demopart too at first :)
And sometimes even bad looking games have surprisingly tricky code (I assume :) since at least I didnt get how some stuff was done when I saw it)
Mhh... Also check the Oneder-game :)
2006-07-08 01:12
_V_
Account closed

C64 games which really struck me back then and thus deserve to be mentioned (some were mentioned before, but oh well):

Mega Apocalypse Deluxe: cool gfx, gorgeous music, addictive-and-smooth-as-hell gameplay and ingame samples. And a single load! Wow! I sometimes get it out to kill a few minutes.

International Karate+: same arguments as for MAD.

Last Ninja series: Gorgeous, relatively fast drawn backdrops, smooth animations, killer soundtracks and great puzzle/combat elements

Another World: Remember that one? 16 colour scroller, gorgeous graphics, fun game, warping, just lovely (btw, Gamespot lists its release date as 1985 - hahahah :)

Trailblazer 2: Coders might not consider this technically advanced, but I love the superfast pseudo-3D. Oh, and the game is addictive as hell, so the pseudo-3D is more than forgiven. Music = top.

The Cybernoids: loads of particles, fun gameplay, and killer sound.

Bangkok knights: Forgetting the enormous sprites, superdope music, cool opponents and fun gameplay, remember that chick showing the current round while strutting her stuff? Oh yeah. I'd say that's a good demopart right there ;)

Mayhem in Monsterland: the closest thing the c64 ever had to Sonic the Hedgehog. Brilliant use of colour, ultrafast scrolling and a really, really enjoyable game to boot... Rowlands Bros always pushed the c64 to the limit as far as games were concerned.

Armalyte: Goddamn yeah. That game still gives me shivers. Long ago, I could complete it with one life, today, I barely remember the first level :). I do remember the soundtrack - every note of it. Walker's best work on c64, no doubt about it.

Leaderboard: Best. C64. Golf. Sim. Ever.

Turrican 3: well, read the review on c64.sk :)

Covergirl Strippoker: Ladies getting nekkid in some sort of high res while divine JCH-player tunes are playing? *And* they crammed a full poker simulator in it as well? Demopart! ;)

Quix: whoever made this was trying to enter a new frontier in line drawing and surface filling ;) Addictive as hell though.

Fred's Back series: Love this platform series by the Sommer bros. 16 colour scrolling in 8 directions, lots of sprites, really cool game to play. They also made an attractive 16-colour scroller "space invaders" shooter called Moons.

Hermetic: Great shooter, big end bosses, lots of fun to play, if only for DRAX's soundtrack.

Stunt Car Racer: A real 3D race game with a believable feeling of speed on a c64? Well I never!
2006-07-08 11:35
Raf

stunt car racer is quite funny :) what a pity that computer players have solid driving path so you can't change thair trajetory by hitting etc ;-)

anyway PC version of this game is just exactly like that one from C64! even screen-update-rate is the same :)
only menus are a bit more advanced and each opponent has got his icon... STC is still great if you consider how much 3d stuff is here and it all fits in memory at once.

I have never seen Amiga version though, many years ago a female friend of mine used to tell me how it looks hehe ;-)
2006-07-08 13:49
Bamu®
Account closed

stunt car racer: isn't it possible to increase screen update rate?
This would rock! (Amiga version is quite smooth.)

Btw: What I mean with "demo quality": it should use the same visual effects (not oldskool effects) like in demos.
2006-07-08 14:58
Nightlord

I think Emlyn H Soccer was a more than a demo-quality game. I fact there are very few demo coders who could code the shot direction+speed control code so smoothly and responsively even today.

Also I think Supremacy has some great coding
2006-07-08 15:20
Rough
Account closed

feels like Lemon here.
2006-07-08 16:31
T.M.R
Account closed

Quote: feels like Lemon here.

What a horrible thought...
2006-07-08 19:33
cadaver

Now let's go requesting gamedesigners, coders and artists for demo-quality games at the lemon64 scene forum. :)

Btw. thinking of what nightlord wrote, maybe Crush is a demo-quality Katakis (I mean, things like non-shooting bosses. There's already 64 bullets with 50 fps collision checking, so what more you dare to expect? Challenge? Shame on you.)
2006-07-09 11:06
Bamu®
Account closed

Aren't there any games that combine pixel graphic with filled vectors? F.ex the end-boss consists of vectors ... everything else are pixel/sprites etc.

Btw. Leaderboard Golf: Looks very nice. Good soundeffects, good animations.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Didi/Laxity
El Jefe/sidDivers
Jazzcat/Onslaught
Guests online: 127
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)