Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64 Emulator Bugs
2007-06-24 03:16
chatGPZ

C64 Emulator Bugs

after stumbling about a bunch of VICE bugs myself in the last couple of days i have decided to compile a list with issues current emulators have. the goals for this are

- make people aware that emulators are by far not perfect (yet?)
- make it easier for emulator authors to improve the emulators, by showing problematic programs and possibly provide simple testcases
- allow c64 coders to implement emulator detection if desired

so well, check this: http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt

help welcomed :)

... 240 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2008-01-25 17:36
Tim
Account closed

Yup, agree totally with what Oswald said..

I’ve been wondering forever about some standard features, but especially that true drive emulation thingy. When would an average user NOT want true drive emulation?

Also the monitor jam; sometimes it hangs so badly that any reset/freeze doesn’t work and shut-down + reboot is the only solution.. but I guess that’s my poor coding doing that.. hehe ;)
2008-01-25 18:58
Raf

Quote: A rare occasion I second Oswaldbogár. Really, what the fuck was going on their mind when they disabled true drive emulation by default? Is there any use for that by the way?

it speeds up loading stuff (and won't fuck up the things only if onefiled stuff is loaded of course....)

Quote:

Yup, agree totally with what Oswald said..

I’ve been wondering forever about some standard features, but especially that true drive emulation thingy. When would an average user NOT want true drive emulation?

Also the monitor jam; sometimes it hangs so badly that any reset/freeze doesn’t work and shut-down + reboot is the only solution.. but I guess that’s my poor coding doing that.. hehe ;)

this is vice problem ;-)

loading binaries in monitor is also fucked up (and is not fixed in vice plus so far) - there is no ability to load binary to other addy (vice takes all the shit as it was PRG so two bytes from start are left even if you actually load RAW binary, not PRG, and there is no controlr over his behaviour at all)

however those bitches ( ;-) )from official VICE team are not interested in fixing some bugs...

www.vulture.c64.org
2008-01-25 20:35
chatGPZ

support viceplus, thats what i do anyway :)
2008-01-27 17:09
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: btw, can someone convince The Vice Team to change the default settings to "true drive emulation on" ? It would save a lot of people from frustration who dont know c64 or vice, but would like to watch a few demos/play multiload games. Also its time for a "save settings as.." and fixing the annoying behaviour which causes "true drive emulation" to be turned off.

thank you.

ps, and how about a warm reset option when the cpu jams
ps2, no I wont code it for myself.

What are you talking about? True drive emulation IS enabled by default. You probably mean disabling virtual device traps but that was dicussed here in several postings.
And a warm reset is there since ages (we call it soft reset).

And by the way: Asking for beta tester I got one (1, ONE) answer of someone willing to get a developer release to test for regression (will send it next week). Where are all the guys complaining about bugs in VICE.

2008-01-27 17:25
chatGPZ

like i said in the other thread, you should post links to a binary and a source. making this an ultra secret exclusive thing for a handful selected people wont get you very far. i can very well understand that people dont want to send out a mail and wait for "approval" just to get work done for you, it should be the other way around really. set up a public cvs, and a bugtracker - and you'll get a lot of help, i am sure.
2008-01-27 19:09
iAN CooG

Quote: What are you talking about? True drive emulation IS enabled by default. You probably mean disabling virtual device traps but that was dicussed here in several postings.
And a warm reset is there since ages (we call it soft reset).

And by the way: Asking for beta tester I got one (1, ONE) answer of someone willing to get a developer release to test for regression (will send it next week). Where are all the guys complaining about bugs in VICE.

I think he means warm/soft reset without clearing memory after a cpu jam.
Currently the only way is to enter monitor and do g fce2 manually, probably a choice to soft reset without clearing is to be considered.
Concerning the beta and how vice updates are kept "secret" I have to agree I would prefer to see the modifications as soon they are made, like browsing a cvs/svn repository, and why not, nightly builds.
2008-01-28 08:56
Oswald

rubi, hey really sorry :) but more often than not starting a prg, or stopping an auto boot sequence will turn it off, at the end of the day it feels it isnt :-(
2008-04-25 20:47
Steppe

Bionic Commando Music bugs like hell in Vice 1.22, but works fine in VicePlus 1.22 and in Hoxs.
2008-04-25 21:26
iAN CooG

Quote: Bionic Commando Music bugs like hell in Vice 1.22, but works fine in VicePlus 1.22 and in Hoxs.

already works in 1.22.8 beta ;)
2008-04-25 21:34
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: already works in 1.22.8 beta ;)

not very reliably. ive experienced the same problem in v1.22.8,fails in about 50% of attempts
Previous - 1 | ... | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Brittle/Dentifrice^(?)
JackAsser/Booze Design
rambo/Therapy/ Resou..
hedning/G★P
ϵʟʞ/ₐтₐ
kbs/Pht/Lxt