Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > C64 Emulator Bugs
2007-06-24 03:16
chatGPZ

C64 Emulator Bugs

after stumbling about a bunch of VICE bugs myself in the last couple of days i have decided to compile a list with issues current emulators have. the goals for this are

- make people aware that emulators are by far not perfect (yet?)
- make it easier for emulator authors to improve the emulators, by showing problematic programs and possibly provide simple testcases
- allow c64 coders to implement emulator detection if desired

so well, check this: http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt

help welcomed :)
2007-06-24 03:40
Fungus

The bug which happens when switching back and forth between vice and other windows happens on windows 2000 and XP also. (both pro)

serial timing latency is not implemented. (1 cycle per foot of cable or so).

1571 has extra delay on on reading sync inside the drive, ask graham or krill about this. (you cannot use BVC in 2mhz mode!)

clk has one cycle extra delay or so also in 1541 when data also changes... (or something)

NTSC should have at LEAST 8 more lines visible in bottom border, and about 6 or 7 in the top.

palette is still very wrong, look at hoxs64 for proper palette.

CAN YOU PLEASE emulate a breadbox palette seperate from 64C pallette, 64c palette is UGLY as hell on OLD games!

I will post more as I remember them...

1541 emulation needs complete REWRITE, it does NOT work with most protected games, HELLO , NOT ALL DATA IS GCR ENCODED!!!

(Stop letting lamers like rittwage who got not CLUE how 1541 really works writing code!!!)

if you want a REAL book on 1541, see 1541 SAMS trouble shooting an repair guide, it contains FULL HW explainations!

You can also switch OFF byte sync in the 1541!!!
2007-06-24 09:11
Mace

Groepaz, Fungus & I talked about this on IRC yesterday, so I'm not sure if the bug I found has been 'documented' already...

Toggling RAM/ROM quickly (i.e. changing value of $01 between #$35 and #$37) confuses WinVICE to the point where it doesn't seem to know whether it's RAM or ROM you want.

Also in WinVICE, "always on top" doesn't work when swiched on at boot. Frankly, I'm amazed that this isn't the 'known bugs' list already.
2007-06-24 09:46
Scout

Also that friggin' annoying bug that un-toggles True Drive Emulation everytime I load a .prg really pisses me off too.

Not a real emulation issue but it's out of my system now :)
2007-06-24 09:55
Oswald

yeah, the true drive emulation 'bug' freaks me out aswell. also there's no reset option without killing the ram when the machine hangs.argh...
2007-06-24 09:57
TDJ

Quote: Also that friggin' annoying bug that un-toggles True Drive Emulation everytime I load a .prg really pisses me off too.

Oh my brother, testify!
2007-06-24 12:32
WVL

Quote: Also that friggin' annoying bug that un-toggles True Drive Emulation everytime I load a .prg really pisses me off too.

I always make a copy of the x64.exe file and name it x64prg.exe.

Then I couple .prg files to x64prg.exe while coupling .d64 to the normal x64.exe. :)
2007-06-24 13:35
Radiant

I just enter the monitor and type l"program.prg"0, and then everything works fine without having to change drive emulation settings etc.

The problem with the complete border not being visible is well known and something the VICE team doesn't seem to care too much about fixing. Krill's border patches take care of that on PAL; should be easy to modify them to fix NTSC emulation as well.

Fungus: You do know you can change the VICE palette yourself, including toggling between the two luminance settings, right? :-P
2007-06-24 13:47
Radiant

From groepaz's buglist.

Not a bug:

*** [vice 1.21] audio/video timing problems due to audio buffering

Audio buffering is a requirement for any software based audio playback. The option is there to set the buffer to a lower value for those with fast machines, which makes the problem less apparent. Impossible to work around.
2007-06-24 14:20
WVL

Quote: From groepaz's buglist.

Not a bug:

*** [vice 1.21] audio/video timing problems due to audio buffering

Audio buffering is a requirement for any software based audio playback. The option is there to set the buffer to a lower value for those with fast machines, which makes the problem less apparent. Impossible to work around.

still there is no option to set it below 100msec. And that's still quite a lot! why not allow 50msec? or 20msec (== 1 frame). My pc wouldnt be bothered by it.
2007-06-24 16:18
tlr

For windows there are ASIO or WDM drivers for many soundcards that will allow near realtime audio (a couple of milliseconds or less in latency).

A selectable buffered video to match the lag of the audio could be useful for watching timed demos.
2007-06-24 16:36
Fungus

Simply delay the video update to be in sync with the audio...

radiantx : I certainly don't want to sit here for hours and hours and hours tweaking the palette to make it look right, this is NOT my job!

missing thing in the emulation, is CRT phosphor emulation also.

2007-06-24 16:43
Hein

From a graphic-artist's point of view, i'd say the vice anex pepto palet is fine.

furthermore, if there are things missing, why not create them yourself???
2007-06-24 17:00
chatGPZ

as for the palette i have to agree with hein - enable the pal emulation and then tweak it to your taste. this is pretty much the same as adjusting the image with the knobs at your monitor - and its NOT the job of the guy who sells you the monitor to tweak it to your liking :=)

however, stick to the topic please =) and read the damned textfile i linked to before posting stuff that is already in there =P
2007-06-24 20:10
assiduous
Account closed

Groepaz, this is a brilliant idea - I aimed to put together a similar list a long time ago, I just haven't come across that many examples of inaccuracies to justify it.

However, I reckon that it's not necessarily a step in right direction to focus strictly on VICE. New versions are very sparse nowadays, and they primarily include new features rather than fixes to the core emulation. It just seems that it's versatility that is the main goal for VICE, not perfect accuracy in all instances. I reported a couple of bugs to the developers, but none of them have been fixed. I sent a mail to the devel-list with a bug report, and they couldn't be bothered to acknowledge it. Well, if they don't care, why should I. It is not my intention to blame anyone, I grasp the fact that every-day occupations don't always allow to spend hours on a C64 emulator. However, I'm afraid that with no new people contributing to the development of this emulator, the list will just be getting longer and longer.

The only emulator seeing a rapid progress these days is Hoxs64, and I think the time and effort would better be spent looking for flaws in this one. It has its downsides, namely no support for MOS6581 and NTSC, but it does an excellent job at emulating 8580 equipped PAL machines. Most importantly though, seeing as the emerging bugs actually get fixed, the list wouldn't go in vain.

@Fungus: In VICE, go to Settings/Video settings/VICII Palette, select "External Palette" and choose "vice" from the list - it is the one calculated by Pepto, which is also used in Hoxs64.
2007-06-24 20:35
chatGPZ

Quote:
However, I reckon that it's not necessarily a step in right direction to focus strictly on VICE.

that list is NOT ment to only focus on vice. its just that

a) my main desktop is a linux box, so i am using vice most of the time
b) vice seems to have the most bugs :) many of the problematic programs in the list work fine in ccs for example

so yes, ANY emulator bugs/problems are subject to be described in this list (that is, stick to CCS, VICE and HOXS ... i dont think any other emus can compete yet)

as for vice team not acknowledging bugs - yes indeed. many have had that experience. this is one of the reasons for compiling that list - i believe that providing (a lot of) examples of malfunctioning programs, including some guesses on whats the cause, could indeed motivate either current vice developers or whoever else to fix some of them. *ignoring* them certainly does _not_ help anyone :=)

so if you can tell further problems that aren't in the list yet, go ahead :)
2007-06-24 20:46
iAN CooG

Vice 1.20+, Elven warrior: during game does not display in PAL. Works in NTSC mode. It's one of the bugs I noticed in Hoxs64 too, and David fixed it promply few days after, like every bug reports I sent him from version 1.0.4.16 :)
Quoting from Hoxs64 history:
3) Adjustment to the VIC display enable bit. The game Elven Warrior now displays.
2007-06-24 21:02
chatGPZ

Quote:
Vice 1.20+, Elven warrior

please name the exact version/release, preferably with a csdb link
2007-06-24 21:24
MagerValp

- [vice] Ultima IV Gold Ultima IV Gold

"The IFFL scanner sometimes hangs when you flip 1541 disks in VICE"

Please note that I have not done extensive testing on real hardware. I've never experienced a hang on real hardware, but while I have tested in VICE hundreds of times, I've only tested on real 1541s a dozen or so times. However, I've never managed to reproduce the bug while I have breakpoints set in VICE, which is mysterious...
2007-06-24 21:43
iAN CooG

Quote: Quote:
Vice 1.20+, Elven warrior

please name the exact version/release, preferably with a csdb link

Elven Warrior + by Doughnut Cracking Service
Elven Warrior +2
Elven Warrior +6 by Ikari, Talent
Elven Warrior +6D

Any will do, even the original tape
http://tapes.c64.no/tapes/ElvenWarrior.zip
2007-06-25 10:26
assiduous
Account closed

The entries to be removed:

- [vice] Zamzara/RSI Zamzara +CH

A: It shows the same behaviour on a real thing, so it's not a bug in the emulator.

- [vice] Lifeboat/Dover Dodge Lifeboat
"crashes on both VICE/CCS after pressing the key..."

A: Corrupt, it doesn't work on a real C64 either.

- [vice] Violator +4/X-Ray Violator +4
"Not working in VICE, No option now to test it on real c64"

A: The same behaviour on a real thing.

- [vice] Skate Crazy/Shining 8 Skate Crazy
second part crashes in vice, works in ccs

A: It's already fixed, works in VICE v1.21.

To be corrected:

- [vice] Comic Art 9/Mayhem Comic Art 09
Main file crashes in Vice 1.19/1.20, works in CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.7

A: As a matter of fact, it's CCS64 that's inaccurate in this case - the collection crashes on a real C64 in the same way as in VICE and Hoxs64.
2007-06-25 17:43
assiduous
Account closed

A couple more to get rid of:

- [vice] Coop/Spench, The Sixth Sense Coop
"Not working in VICE or CCS64", crashes shortly after run in vice 1.20

A: Doesn't work on a real thing either.

- [vice] Compressor V1/AFL Compressor V1
crashes after intro (syntax error?)

A: The same error on a real thing - not an emulator issue.

- [vice 1.20] The Movie Writer V1.2 The Movie Writer V1.2
"directory routine doesn't seem to work in vice1.20"

A: Neither does it on a real C64.
2007-06-25 18:24
iAN CooG

>- [vice] Skate Crazy/Shining 8 Skate Crazy
>second part crashes in vice, works in ccs

>A: It's already fixed, works in VICE v1.21.

I noticed that *randomly works* on all 3 emulators, just wait some seconds before running and it will eventually work. It's a problem of this release only, a simple lda #$7f sta $dc0d, that SHOULD be there to properly init the irq, will fix it.
load but don't run, enter monitor
break 819
x
then after run:
> dc0d 7f
x
will work.
Part one properly sets $dc0d in the intro and seems enough.

Another one that did not work in any emu is this
Die Donnernde Kataun/Abyss
Die Donnernde Kataun
irq does not trigger correctly.
Patching it like this will do:
0873  20 D4 08  JSR $08D4

08D4  8D 1A D0  STA $D01A
08D7  8D 19 D0  STA $D019
08DA  A9 1B     LDA #$1B
08DC  8D 11 D0  STA $D011
08DF  60        RTS
2007-06-25 18:58
assiduous
Account closed

Ah now I see that it randomly refuses to work, also in Hoxs64. Did you check whether this randomness occurs on the C64? I've already disconnected the C64 setup and don't feel like reconnecting it today. :-)
2007-06-25 19:00
Fungus

lda #$00
sta $d019
lda #$80
sta $d012
lda #$1b
sta $d011
lda $d019
and #$01
beq *-5

such code as this will work on a real NTSC c64.
such code as this will fail on a real PAL c64 intermittently.

see Waterline by publisher Tronix (and don't ask me for link, go search gamebase yourself ya damn lazy gits)

similar strange issue as this on the Galactic Gardner, the irq setup in the bottom border happens TWICE in row (although can't seem to find a reason WHY) on a real C64, PAL or NTSC. IRQ happens ONCE only in vice. (Very annoying when trying track down such bugs.)

2007-06-25 21:51
chatGPZ

fungus: thanks but, you gotta realize that to a decent bugreport belongs a link to the specific program that causes a problem. just naming a game is NOT very useful.

anyway, i updated the list with the info posted so far -> http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt

keep it coming :)
2007-06-26 09:35
tlr

When stating that it crashes on the real thing you should probably state which real thing you used.
There are some minor differences, the kernal revision is one example.
Some very old programs can sometimes rely on strange behaviour.
If you say something like C64C ~1989 or breadbox ~83 it will help.
2007-06-26 13:05
iAN CooG

>- [vice] Comic Art 9/Mayhem
> Comic Art 09

> Main file crashes in Vice 1.19/1.20, works in CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.7

> A: As a matter of fact, it's CCS64 that's inaccurate in this case - the collection crashes on a real C64 in the same way as in VICE and Hoxs64.

Actually not an emu issue but it's only a fault on the cruncher used, which expects all the mem filled with zeroes(!!)
Fill the memory with zeroes yourself, or set the memory fill pattern to all zeroes and it will work everywhere. Easy to patch :)

In CCS works because the mem fill pattern is REVERSED (00 instead of ff and viceversa). Fill the mem with ff's and you'll see it failing on ccs too.
2007-06-26 14:48
assiduous
Account closed

So to sum it up - the crash is not an emu issue, but the fact it doesn't crash in CCS64 actually relates to an emu issue. :) It should fail, provided you don't change the memory pattern.

Quoting tlr
If you say something like C64C ~1989 or breadbox ~83 it will help.

All of the tests I've performed were carried out on the C64C with serial number 774125.

Here's some more verified entries:

- [vice 1.20] Aurora 90%/Level64 Aurora 85%-90%
"On emus, there will appear a strangely-patterned screen. Get yourself the real
thing or expect major vic-bugs after pressing run/stop."
"btw, aurora80% displays same on emu then on realthing, i just did that emucheck
for the fun of it, its temperature measuring via unused bits in $01"

A: This one's interesting. First of all, in both the 85% and the 90% versions, I've spotted no VIC bugs - neither in VICE nor in Hoxs64. Secondly, that strangely patterned screen is visible on a C64 as well, but it disappears after a while. In emus, a user interaction is required to proceed, and this seems to be the only difference. This affects CCS64, VICE, and Hoxs64. I've reported it to David Horrocks, the developer of Hoxs64.

- [vice 1.20] Locomotion +2/Hitmen Locomotion +2 [german] (works in ccs and on real c64)

A: It doesn't work in Hoxs64 either, which has been reported to the author. I can confirm it works on the C64 (at least all of the attempts to run the game were successful).

- [vice 1.20] Rick Dangerous/Myth Rick Dangerous (works in ccs and on real c64)

A: It doesn't work on the real thing, which was confirmed by j0x in the comments ("I did this because I was curious why it didn't always work under Vice - or on the real thing, for that matter"). Again, the fact it does work flawlessly in CCS64 suggests that an inaccuracy exists in this emulator.

- [vice] Demo IV Demo IV
the last part flickers

A: And so it does on the real thing, however the flickers are much less frequent and perfectly predictable. They occur 3 times per tune duration - at the very beginning, then 8 seconds into the tune, and the third one occurs when the melody sees a rapid change. In VICE, the flickers are very frequent and they cause the tune to restart at times. This part doesn't work at all in Hoxs64.

- [vice 1.20] Leftovers/Shadi Software Leftovers
"The intro part has light blue background where it should be black. (atleast in VICE)"

A: It's light blue in Hoxs64, CCS64, and on the real thing. Looks to me like a bug in the code or a bad visual taste.
2007-06-26 16:07
tlr

Quote:
"The intro part has light blue background where it should be black. (atleast in VICE)"

A: It's light blue in Hoxs64, CCS64, and on the real thing. Looks to me like a bug in the code or a bad visual taste.

This is probably a kernal revision issue. One of the things that differ is the color in colorram after printing a #147 (CLR).

IIRC the different behaviours are:
- colorram set to 1 (white)
- colorram set to the contents of $d021
- colorram set to the contents of 646 (i.e cursor color)

A lot of older demos relied on the two last of these.
2007-06-26 18:19
iAN CooG

This is probably a kernal revision issue. One of the things that differ is the color in colorram after printing a #147 (CLR).

IIRC the different behaviours are:
- colorram set to 1 (white)
- colorram set to the contents of $d021
- colorram set to the contents of 646 (i.e cursor color)

A lot of older demos relied on the two last of these.

Confirmed, kernal rev 2 in all 3 emulators and the part is in black
2007-06-26 23:30
6R6

@Fungus & others: Correct me if im wrong.

(I'm running vice 1.21)

Here on my real ntsc c64 the right border has 8 more pixels to display raster colors and siderborder sprites.

PAL Vice emulation displays 384 pixels width.
So, correct NTSC vice emulation would be 392 pixels width.

The reason for the extra 8 pixels is ntsc being 65 cycles ?

One more thing : The $d010 emulation in vice ntsc mode bugs.

Try watching my intros in vice ntsc mode:

http://intros.c64.org/inc_download.php?iid=2803
http://intros.c64.org/inc_download.php?iid=2047
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/download.php?id=56326

Left side siderborder sprites are off 8 pixels
They work fine on a real ntsc ..

Thats it for now. :---)
2007-06-27 03:34
Style

yeh, I recall that one - drove me nuts when I was writing a sideborder dysp (and making it NTSC compatible) and couldnt figure out why it wasnt working - then I tried on a real c64 and it worked perfectly :)
2007-06-27 11:38
chatGPZ

updated again -> http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt
2007-06-27 23:20
assiduous
Account closed

It crossed my mind it'd be a wicked cool feature to have all emu-detection routines (what I mean here is the routines with a deliberate purpose of detecting an emulator - separate or included in specific productions) listed in a table with the holy trinity of CCS64, VICE and Hoxs64. It'd indicate whether the emulator is capable of fooling the routine into thinking it's running on the real thing. To spare you some work, I've prepared one. The tests are sorted by date, you're welcome to add anything I'm not aware of.

Y - test passed, N - emu detected

CCS64	VICE	Hoxs64
Deus Ex Machina		Y	Y	Y
Demus Interruptus	Y	Y	Y
+h Emu-Fuxx0r v1	N	N	Y
+h Emu-Fuxx0r v2	N	N	Y
Waveform Composer	Y	N	Y
Aurora 90%		N	N	N
Krestage 3		N	N	Y

valid for: CCS64 v3.2, VICE v1.21, Hoxs64 v1.0.4.23
2007-06-28 01:52
chatGPZ

Cucumber Juice 2 contains an emu check aswell ... should pass on all emus by now though, didnt check for a while howeber :)
2007-06-30 19:43
Codey

i'm sure the topic's been discussed before, but where in memory do you check if it's an emu and not a real 64?
2007-06-30 20:04
Graham
Account closed

Nowhere. A perfect emulator would be undetectable.
2007-06-30 22:32
iAN CooG

Quote: i'm sure the topic's been discussed before, but where in memory do you check if it's an emu and not a real 64?

OLD emus used the byte at $dffe. Vice still let you check it after enabling Options/Emulator identification.
2007-07-01 00:26
Jammer

speaking of disabling true drive emulation, i guess it's not a bug. vice simply recognises it as file loaded from the tape. here, pity that datasette is not emulated in true drive mode and you have to disable it to load any t64. i miss those red lines and the sound. i can always run my commie, but still...
2007-07-01 01:15
iAN CooG

Quote: speaking of disabling true drive emulation, i guess it's not a bug. vice simply recognises it as file loaded from the tape. here, pity that datasette is not emulated in true drive mode and you have to disable it to load any t64. i miss those red lines and the sound. i can always run my commie, but still...

Tape and t64 are 2 different things, a t46 is just a collection of prgs with a header, and vice loads prgs directly in memory bypassing normal tape routines; tap files are what you need to see "those red lines", if you mean tape loaders by it :) And you don't have to disable TDE to load taps, normally. Some protected games check if there's a drive attached and refuse to work, btw.
2007-07-02 10:04
Jammer

aah, i always thought that t64 and tap are more or less the same ;) human learns throughout the whole life ;) still TDE disabling is not really a bug, it's just an annoying help like creators in m$ applications :D
2007-07-02 16:52
Krill

Afaik, the next VICE release is due in August. It will also include my fixes of PAL and NTSC border sizes, drive led PWM emulation, and single frame advance for WIN32. I am planning to implement further demo-oriented features and bugfixes.
2007-07-02 16:58
Oswald

krill \\\o///
2007-07-02 17:00
chatGPZ

Quote:
single frame advance for WIN32

why on earth would a feature like that be OS specific? *shrug*
2007-07-02 17:06
Krill

It is because it's stuff that's specifically triggered and mainly maintained by the UI which is strictly platform dependent.
2007-07-02 17:12
chatGPZ

Quote:

It is because it's stuff that's specifically triggered and mainly maintained by the UI which is strictly platform dependent.

aka the usual vice style horrible hack, ok :)
2007-07-12 22:07
assiduous
Account closed

About time for another cleanup.

*** [Vice, CCS, HOXS] (does not work on any emu, works on the real thing)
Die Donnernde Kataun/Abyss Die Donnernde Kataun

A: It fails on the real thing, too.

- [vice] Nobby the Aardvark +6/RSI Nobby the Aardvark +6
"Loader crashes on VICE 1.21, both with 1541 and 1541-II."

A: Doesn't load on the real thing (1541-II), either.

- [vice] A New Type/Alloy Graphic Design A New Type
"does not seem to work in either vice or ccs (pressing space in the first part does nothing)"

A: And it does nothing on the real C64, for that matter.

- [vice] Sailing/Popeye Sailing
"Messed up graphics after the intro (atleast in vice), bad file?"

A: The same garbage rendered by the real VIC.

- [CCS] Darwin/The Dreams Darwin
"This demo won't run with CCS as it cannot handle DreamLoad's ShutUp-Feature. Then, I don't
think any emu up to now can play the digi-part in original quality."

A: The demo works in CCS64 v3.3, so it must have been fixed at some point.

- [vice 1.20] Mad Springs +2/The Ruling Company+The Blasters Incorporated Mad Springs +2
graphic in the crack intro is messed up

A: Not an emulator fault, it's the same on the real thing.
2007-07-12 22:28
assiduous
Account closed

Regarding:

- [vice] The Plague  The Plague

crashes after some parts

"Collision Pt: Really nice picture (FLI) of a red car. The highlite of the demo. 1x1 hires dycp and tune
_Loader Pt: Picture, No Music

Pt: The parts failed to work on Vice :(

Pt: 0F (Load direct from Dir).
Hires sprite dycp over Bitmap logo in upper screen area. Large char scroller in lower screen area
_Loader Pt: Good picture of Judge Dread.
Pt: Good looking swinging logo, 3 1x1 DYCP and a really nice tune :)
_Loader Pt: Picture, better than Loader pt 4 picture
Pt: Flashing hires image of 2 people, followed by the real Pt

Restire FAILED TO WORK TO EXIT PT (on Vice) -?-

(Load part 0H direct from Dir)
Part 0H - Last Pt: Good logo with some rasters inside it."

It is possible to load the parts separately. The part after the "Really nice picture (FLI) of a red car" won't work if you start the demo from the very beginning, or "0A", or "0B". It will work, however, provided you start the demo from the "0C" file (which is the part preceding the troublesome one) or load the part directly ("0D"). The same quirk occurs on the real thing.

As for the "Restire" key failing to work in the part 0H, it does work if you press any other key beforehand. For instance, press space and "Page Up" (Restore) subsequently to exit the part. This is how it works on the real thing too - the problem lies in the code, not in the emulation.
2007-07-12 22:47
chatGPZ

so the whole thing "works" in emu? (as good or bad as on the real thing that is)
2007-07-12 23:05
assiduous
Account closed

Yes, the behaviour is exactly the same.
2007-07-12 23:33
chatGPZ

ok, updated the list a bit... -> http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt
2007-07-13 00:11
assiduous
Account closed

- [CCS] Darwin/The Dreams  Darwin

"This demo won't run with CCS as it cannot handle DreamLoad's ShutUp-Feature. Then, I don't 
think any emu up to now can play the digi-part in original quality."

"A: The demo works in CCS64 v3.3, so it must have been fixed at some point."

The above belongs to "EMULATOR ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN FIXED", I think. Append Hoxs64 to the list of emulators that can't handle Demo IV properly (it crashes on the last part unlike the real C64). What's wrong with Crazy News preview?

I see that you've included the emucheck list of mine, but it's already outdated. :) Here's the latest, including Cucumber Juice 2 for the sake of completeness, and reflecting emulation improvements in CCS64 v3.3:

CCS	VICE	Hoxs64
Cucumber Juice 2	Y	Y	Y
Deus Ex Machina		Y	Y	Y
Demus Interruptus	Y	Y	Y
+h Emu-Fuxx0r v1	N	N	Y
+h Emu-Fuxx0r v2	Y	N	Y
Waveform Composer	Y	N	Y
Aurora 90%		N	N	N
Krestage 3		Y	N	Y

valid for: CCS64 v3.3, VICE v1.21, Hoxs64 v1.0.4.23
2007-07-13 13:16
chatGPZ

fixed, and added a short description to crazy news preview :)
2007-07-13 21:44
assiduous
Account closed

- [vice, ccs] Crazy News Preview  Crazy News Preview V2

crashes/hangs after selecting something in the main menu of the game (start loading, drive hangs at track 25)

"does not work on CCS nor Vice - works on the real thing"

I can only wonder how it was verified to work on the real thing. In order to make it work in CCS/VICE, make use of the hint in the directory, which says: "rest on side two". Amazingly, the rest is on the side B on the real thing too. ;D
2007-07-13 22:03
chatGPZ

LOL!

/me points at mason

:=)

fixed it in the list :)
2007-07-19 00:32
assiduous
Account closed

I've been made aware of a significant CCS64 flaw. Namely it comes packaged with Kernal Revision 2. However iAN CooG claimed to have checked "Leftovers/Shadi Software" with Kernal Rev2 in CCS64 and wrote here that the intro part was all black, while it's blue with the Kernal that CCS64 comes with. Could it be that there are different Rev2 Kernals around?

I found out that "Rick Dangerous/Myth" fails in CCS64 v3.3 with Kernal copied from Hoxs64, which suggests that it's merely a Kernal revision issue. It should be noted that the game works solely with Kernal Rev2 and will fail in any emulator using Kernal Rev3.

Yet another emulator that can't handle Demo IV properly: CCS64. Flickers madly and the music is prone to restarting. Which means that for the time being there's no emulator that would display this part accurately.
2007-07-19 07:34
iAN CooG

CCS always has a PATCHED rev2, which load $0286 instead of $d021 during jsr $e544. An ugly hybrid I never understood why not simply replace it with a rev3.
I tried with a real rev2, I have something like 40 different kernal roms in CCS\ROMS\ dir to make tests with ;)
2007-07-19 08:33
Frantic

SounDemons noise waveform hacks does not work in emus too, since they don't emulate the aspect of the SID used here (was the intro/demo called "pica" or something like that?).
2007-07-19 09:01
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: SounDemons noise waveform hacks does not work in emus too, since they don't emulate the aspect of the SID used here (was the intro/demo called "pica" or something like that?).

"Pico". Granted, CCS64 and VICE can't playback the waveforms as intended (although the former passes the emulator check in Waveform Composer), but did you check with Hoxs64? Numerous fixes were made to it in the past to ensure that these waveforms are handled properly.

iAN CooG, thanks for clearing up the issue with Kernal revisions here.
2007-07-19 09:40
JackAsser

Quote: "Pico". Granted, CCS64 and VICE can't playback the waveforms as intended (although the former passes the emulator check in Waveform Composer), but did you check with Hoxs64? Numerous fixes were made to it in the past to ensure that these waveforms are handled properly.

iAN CooG, thanks for clearing up the issue with Kernal revisions here.

The interlaced girl in the demo Tsunami features 8 bad pixels on her nose when running on VICE (as HCL stated in the note IIRC)
2007-07-19 09:48
assiduous
Account closed

A new version of Hoxs64 has been released, it can now handle the following titles:

-Aurora 90% ($01 fading corrected, passes the emu check, there's no need to press run/stop to proceed at the beginning anymore)
-Locomotion/Hitmen (IRQ timing adjusted, works now)
-Demo IV (it doesn't crash anymore and flickers in the same manner my C64C does)

The updated emu check list:

CCS	VICE	Hoxs64
Cucumber Juice 2	Y	Y	Y
Deus Ex Machina		Y	Y	Y
Demus Interruptus	Y	Y	Y
+h Emu-Fuxx0r v1	N	N	Y
+h Emu-Fuxx0r v2	Y	N	Y
Waveform Composer	Y	N	Y
Aurora 90%		N	N	Y
Krestage 3		Y	N	Y

valid for: CCS64 v3.3, VICE v1.21, Hoxs64 v1.0.4.24

Ipso facto, Hoxs64 becomes the first C64 emulator to be undetectable by any emu check known to date. \o/
2007-07-19 10:25
JackAsser

Is it fair to use the 1541 as EMU faxxor? It's very simple to set up some drive code that would rely on the analogue properties of the serial cable, which would be tricky to emulate. It's all a very simple test which I implemented some years ago. Simply generate a square waveform from the drive to the C64 in f.e. 1KHz. Sample this waveform on the C64 in a much higher frequency. In a pure digital world (Emulator) you would count equally many zeros as ones but in the real world this number will differ greatly due to the CMOS logic levels and charge times.

Anyways, requiring a 1541 for EMU-detection is a bit cheaty imo. ;D
2007-07-19 12:06
Graham
Account closed

It's also dangerous, because different drives might behave different. There's also 1541 compatible non-Commodore drives.
2007-07-19 12:18
JackAsser

Quote: It's also dangerous, because different drives might behave different. There's also 1541 compatible non-Commodore drives.

Agreed, but thing is that on an emulator the ratio is EXACTLY 50/50 but on the real thing it'll never be like that.
2007-07-19 12:51
chatGPZ

i'd say: do it :) a perfekt emulator also emulates all the weird analog quirks :)
2007-07-19 13:14
enthusi

the Aurora check in principle is pretty analogous as well. Didnt think it would 'fall' so soon actually :) and I doubt it's beaten yet. The behaviour of those unused bits is correlated to chip-temperature as yago pointed out :)
2007-07-19 14:07
Oswald

emu fuxxoring only shrinks the audience. and makes you and your emu detection ridiculous in a few years.
2007-07-19 14:47
chatGPZ

no way it could lead to better emus, god forbid /o\
2007-07-19 16:40
assiduous
Account closed

"*** [vice 1.21] strange issues with $01
seems that switching $01 quickly makes VICE make mistakes in thinking what is RAM and what is ROM...
Interestingly, this one fucks up in WinVICE v1.20 at max. speed and warp mode, but not @ 100% speed.
Brings up (a seemingly long-time known bug) that toggling RAM/ROM quickly (init tune at $E000) confuses VICE.
Zax-Ripp #006/Hurricane http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=44749"

A: I cannot reproduce it. The warp mode is turned on, the maximum speed is there, it just doesn't fuck up - neither in the interpolating SID sampling mode (at 800% speed), nor in the fast sampling one (3200%).

"- [vice] Non Plus Ultra 64%/Singular http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=32442"

A: Rule of thumb #3: "switch virtual device traps off".

"- [vice] Alternate Reality/Mr. Zeropage Alternate Reality - City
hangs after the character selection/randomizing"

A: There's only 1 disk side to download, where are the others? Fails on the real thing too.

*** [vice] unidentified problems
- Brutal Blue/Orbs Brutal Blue
"Had some problems with the loader. I remember this working on an older version of Vice though."

A: Doesn't work on the real thing, which indicates there was a problem with an older version of VICE.
2007-07-19 17:01
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: The interlaced girl in the demo Tsunami features 8 bad pixels on her nose when running on VICE (as HCL stated in the note IIRC)

Well spotted, the glitch is visible in Hoxs64 too. CCS64 v3.3 isn't affected by this.

Quote:
the Aurora check in principle is pretty analogous as well. Didnt think it would 'fall' so soon actually :) and I doubt it's beaten yet. The behaviour of those unused bits is correlated to chip-temperature as yago pointed out :)

This one's beaten to death. :) You could measure the fading time multiple times and then check if the values differ, but you can't possibly verify if even values indicate a coincidence or an emulator. And even if you could, it should pose no challenge to randomize the values in some specified range. More attempts to exploit this (or any other oddity that isn't emulated exactly) would be quite useful though. Something along the lines of "detect Hoxs64 compo" should be organized to promote this kind of art. ;)
2007-07-19 17:40
enthusi

I think randomness is an issue but probably only exploited 'at will' and not randomly :)

Here's a small code that should detect all emus so far I think. However it is VERY simple to circumvent detection here - nontheless:
	tmp = $02
	adr = $31

ldy #$00
	sty tmp
	ldx #$60
loop
	lda (adr),y
	eor tmp
	sta tmp
	inc adr
	bne loop
	inc adr+1
	dex
	bne loop

lda tmp 
	beq emu
	rts
emu	
	inc $d020
end bvc end

Edit: dont mind $31. Just some arbitrary memory range to EOR over. So $00 or $00,$FF -filled memory pattern would expose an emu (or memory configured AR i.e.!)
2007-07-19 18:26
assiduous
Account closed

The result of this routine is far from predictable - on the average it detects the emulator once in 8 attempts.
2007-07-19 19:58
iAN CooG

Quote:

*** [vice] unidentified problems
"Had some problems with the loader. I remember this working on an older version of Vice though."

A: Doesn't work on the real thing, which indicates there was a problem with an older version of VICE.

I just tested it, works in every emu only if you use exos v3, would be nice if someone can test it on the real thing with that kernal rom.
2007-07-19 20:00
iAN CooG

Quote:

- [vice] Relax #03 Relax #03

"Switch off true drive emulation in order to have it working in Vice."

Relax #3 often crashes, but randomly works.
I don't understand why it should work, and actually it should NEVER work IMHO.
The irq init is completely f**ked up, and prone to lock-ups or crashes.
081E  00        BRK        ;here some stuff is missing:
081F  00        BRK        ;SEI? DCOD/D012 setup?
0820  A9 08     LDA #$08   ;
0822  8D 86 02  STA $0286  ;
0825  20 60 0E  JSR $0E60  ;Only does LDA #$93 JSR $FFD2 RTS
0828  A2 00     LDX #$00   ;
082A  8E 14 03  STX $0314  ;WHY THE F**K ONE WANTS TO DO IT THIS WAY?
082D  8E FF 38  STX $38FF  ;(setting only the lower byte while irq are active
0830  8E FB 09  STX $09FB  ; is plain stupid, is like seeking for crashes)
0833  8E 1A D0  STX $D01A  ;Set to 0 and will be never set to 1 (=no irq?)

Even in Hoxs64 1.0.4.24 sometimes locks up.
Works on Vice without TDE active, or simply loading the .prg alone.
I think this is a side effect of inaccurate emulation when TDE is off.
Here's a quick fix, there is enough room for a (almost) correct init.
0805  78        SEI
0806  A9 7F     LDA #$7F
0808  8D 0D DC  STA $DC0D
080B  AD 0D DC  LDA $DC0D
080E  A9 37     LDA #$37
0810  8D 12 D0  STA $D012
0813  A9 1B     LDA #$1B
0815  8D 11 D0  STA $D011
0818  A9 01     LDA #$01
081A  8D 19 D0  STA $D019
081D  8D 1A D0  STA $D01A

0825  20 44 E5  JSR $E544

0833  2C 1A D0  BIT $D01A

Should I upload a Relax_03_fixed.d64 with a notefile stating what has been fixed?
2007-07-19 20:00
enthusi

assid: Well I only "know" vice. I guess a $00-check would serve as well and then be 100%. Just wanted to point out the general issue of randomness. Im not sure if its any good to init an emulated system with "random" values...
2007-07-19 21:12
Hein

So-Phisticated doesn't seem to work as supposed to in VICE. Works in CCS and Hoxs.. 'Sweet Dreams, Lamer'
2007-07-19 21:19
assiduous
Account closed

Hein, it's already on the list. ;)
2007-07-20 04:17
chatGPZ

updated the thing again -> http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt
2007-07-20 07:53
assiduous
Account closed

Thanks for the update. It would be clearer though if you had added "Works properly in Hoxs64 v1.0.4.24+" to Aurora 90%, Demo IV and Locomotion, because right now there are statements like "This part doesn't work at all in Hoxs64" accompanying these entries while they aren't valid anymore.

Remove Skate Crazy/Shining8 as it's already on the list in the "EMULATOR ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN FIXED" section.

Rick Dangerous entry should be updated with the info regarding Kernal revisions.
2007-07-20 11:53
iAN CooG

Quote:

"A: Doesn't work on the real thing, which indicates there was a problem with an older version of VICE."

"I just tested it, works in every emu only if you use exos v3, would be nice if someone can test it on
the real thing with that kernal rom."

Definately bugged, the author must have coded and tested this under exos only(?)
This is the proof, it always fail to load the "Z.*" turboloader at $cd00
C248  A9 01     LDA #$01
C24A  A8        TAY
C24B  A2 08     LDX #$08
C24D  20 BA FF  JSR $FFBA
C250  A9 03     LDA #$03
C252  A2 80     LDX #$80
C254  A0 C2     LDY #$C2
C256  20 BD FF  JSR $FFBD
C259  20 D5 FF  JSR $FFD5  << a=3 here, so does NOT load but verify
C25C  A9 41     LDA #$41      apparently exos always loads, which is weird
C25E  8D FD 9F  STA $9FFD
C261  A9 2E     LDA #$2E
C263  8D FE 9F  STA $9FFE
C266  A9 2A     LDA #$2A
C268  8D FF 9F  STA $9FFF
C26B  4C 00 CD  JMP $CD00  << and here executes "random" code

lda #$00 before the jsr $ffd5 is enough (and mandatory)
Patched d64 will be available on my site this evening ;P

Quote:

- [vice] Defcom/Jazzcat Defcom

"Another one for the collection of weirdness. This one crash on Vice,
but works fine in CCS."

Almost the same issue as in Comic Art #9/Mayhem, decruncher relies on memory
contents and most probably filesize ($ae/$af contents after loading).
Patch the main file adding 16 zeroes at end and it always works.
Actually both this and Comic Art 9 will run unpatched if you reset after the
crash and reload them.

@groepaz: This entry is 2 times in the v0.5 buglist.
2007-07-20 13:02
iAN CooG

Quote:

- [vice] Alternate Reality/Mr. Zeropage Alternate Reality - City

hangs after the character selection/randomizing

"A: There's only 1 disk side to download, where are the others? Fails on the real thing too."

No wonder it doesn't work, file "AA" has a bad sector with illegal link to 13/77 (as stated by 64copy)
2007-07-20 18:14
chatGPZ

ok, fixed some stuff in the list...recheck :) i also added Typical which seems to have a "anti-cartridge" detection at the beginning (according to tnt) which somehow fails to work on all emus =P
2007-07-20 19:16
TNT
Account closed

Quote: ok, fixed some stuff in the list...recheck :) i also added Typical which seems to have a "anti-cartridge" detection at the beginning (according to tnt) which somehow fails to work on all emus =P

IIRC Typical upscroller reads some $de00/$df00 byte every frame after calling the music routine, and if it gets the same byte back multiple times (16? 32?) it crashes the demo. I think some part which didn't work correctly with some cartridge, or maybe I did that just to piss people off :)

Edit:
   org $4145

LDA $DF00
.cmp
   CMP #$00
   BEQ .same
   STA .cmp+1
   LDA #$F0
   STA $4251
.x
   RTS
.same
   INC $4251
   BNE .x

Edit2
I think I should add my comment after Hoxs64 failed it:
Quote:
(Now I'm wondering if Typical works on all C64s or not!)
2007-07-22 23:19
chatGPZ

Gilded Age is another strange one. to make it work in vice, virtual device traps must be off. in ccs the intro is fucked up (dma delay for the logo swing). in hoxs it crashes when loading the game. mason says it works on the real thing (didnt check myself).
2007-07-22 23:43
assiduous
Account closed

I've turned off the traps and it still doesn't work for me in VICE. Can't see what's wrong with the logo sway in CCS64 (did you check with v3.3?). Fails in Hoxs64 - I'll have to check it out on the real thing.
2007-07-23 00:00
chatGPZ

Quote:
I've turned off the traps and it still doesn't work for me in VICE.

interisting, maybe another case of "works sometimes" ? mmmh

and mmmh yes, my ccs is ooold. =D gotta fix that =D
2007-07-23 18:46
iAN CooG

I've turned off the traps and it still doesn't work for me in VICE.

interisting, maybe another case of "works sometimes" ? mmmh

and mmmh yes, my ccs is ooold. =D gotta fix that =D

Those garbled red sprites should ring some bells :)
Sprites must be off before loading, else one should expect timing problems.
4E6C  20 4B 54  JSR $544B
547A  A2 00     LDX #$00   <<< here does it right...
547C  8E 15 D0  STX $D015  <<<
4E99  A9 7F     LDA #$7F   <<< and here turns 7 of them again on
4E9B  8D 15 D0  STA $D015  <<< just before the load (JSR $6100)

to fix it, during the second intro, enter in monitor:

> 4E9a 0

Actually it worked in Vice with any fast loader (AR/Epyx/KCS/Speeddos) that
allows sprites, setting them off automatically during load.
2007-07-23 19:34
assiduous
Account closed

Failed on my C64C. It hangs up in CCS64 too if you boot it in the "Normal" (more accurate) mode. Which brings us to the conclusion that in this case the emulators are fine and the software is bugged.
2007-07-23 19:39
iAN CooG

Quote: Gilded Age is another strange one. to make it work in vice, virtual device traps must be off. in ccs the intro is fucked up (dma delay for the logo swing). in hoxs it crashes when loading the game. mason says it works on the real thing (didnt check myself).

@Mason: try without AR fastloader, it shouldn't work.
2007-07-23 19:53
assiduous
Account closed

I reckon there should 2 more rules of thumb:

-first and foremost, always use the latest version of the emulator
-test without a cartridge
2007-07-24 18:53
assiduous
Account closed

A new entry:

[CCS64] Intoxication Intoxication

A: Fails on the title screen in CCS64. Works on the real C64, in Hoxs64 and VICE.

And some updates to a few:

- [vice] Dylan Dog/X-factor Dylan Dog +3
"This one crash after the intro in Vice, but no in CCS."

A: It crashes on my C64C, just like in Hoxs64 and VICE. This suggests an inaccuracy exists in CCS64 because it SHOULDN'T work.

- [vice] Enforcer+4M-Enigma Enforcer +4
"Found another one that doesnt work. When you press fire at the intro and it loads level 1 then it crash. It doesnt even scan in CCS, but works perfect on the real C64."
loading endsequence works

A: It works on the real thing, in Hoxs64, and contrary to the statement above, CCS64. Crashes on loading the first level in VICE.

- [vice] FlyingSharkPreview+-Ikari&FAC Flying Shark Preview +
"Another one here... When running it in Vice it goes into grey screen and gives cpu jam. If I run it on the real c64 and on ccs it works fine."

A: It crashes on my C64C, just like in Hoxs64 and VICE. This suggests an inaccuracy exists in CCS64 because it SHOULDN'T work.

- [vice] Invest-TRC&Blasters Invest
For the list of bugreports for emulators. Invest works perfect on the real c64 without any problems.

A: Doesn't work on the real thing nor in any emulator. I suspect a disk error, as the drive head rattles before the program exits to BASIC.
2007-07-24 19:38
Mason

Since Im the one who did those bugs:

Invest worked fine on my real C64

Flying Sharks Previw worked fine on my real C64

Dylan Dog works fine my real C64.
2007-07-24 19:49
assiduous
Account closed

Did you test with any cartridge? What kind of C64 was it (C64, C64-II, C64C?) and which Kernal was it equipped with? Any expansions used?

The tests I've performed were carried out on a bare C64C (Kernal rev3) and a 1541-II disk drive. In case of a failure, I've always rechecked the title at least once to ensure that the behaviour doesn't vary.
2007-07-25 04:31
chatGPZ

noticed another problem, check out Info Everybody. its using a "jam" opcode to halt execution. a real c64 would just freeze and show the screen, vice gives a "cpu jam" message, and does not show the proper screen ever. :(

as for the releases which worked on masons but not on assiduous' real c64.... maybe a 1541 (old) vs 1541-II (new) issue?
2007-07-25 04:58
Oswald

oh how I hate vice's nagging jam and halt messages, simply leave it alone, and let the user alone. so fuckin restricting when you have no reset option after a halt or jam...
2007-07-25 05:39
chatGPZ

Quote:
so fuckin restricting when you have no reset option after a halt or jam...

infact that option is right there in the jam message =D
2007-07-25 07:21
JackAsser

Quote: oh how I hate vice's nagging jam and halt messages, simply leave it alone, and let the user alone. so fuckin restricting when you have no reset option after a halt or jam...

Do you know how often I use that JAM for debugging purposes. When you have some more complex conditional code and want to make sure you've reached a particular point in the code I simply put a .byte 2 there in the code. If it JAMs then I reached that code. I also use it for timing, like after a stable IRQ I put a .byte 2, when VICE JAMs I check at which cycle the VIC is on (right there in the monitor). Since I know at which cycle I wanna stop on I simply apply the appropriate delay, instead of fiddeling with inc$d020/dec$d020 to find the correct cycle...
2007-07-25 07:29
chatGPZ

using breakpoints would be too easy i guess =D
2007-07-25 07:30
Mason

Quote: Did you test with any cartridge? What kind of C64 was it (C64, C64-II, C64C?) and which Kernal was it equipped with? Any expansions used?

The tests I've performed were carried out on a bare C64C (Kernal rev3) and a 1541-II disk drive. In case of a failure, I've always rechecked the title at least once to ensure that the behaviour doesn't vary.

I got the old UK model. Also got one of the old 1541 drives.

No expansion used
2007-07-25 07:33
JackAsser

Quote: using breakpoints would be too easy i guess =D

Takes longer time because then I must first enter monitor-mode manually, then add the break point on an address I don't know. Hence, simply adding a .byte 2 and do "make run" is MUCH simpler. ;D

I do use break points of course as well but not for the purposes I wrote in the previous post.
2007-07-25 08:41
yago

Quote: using breakpoints would be too easy i guess =D

Actually, breakpoints seem to be buggy on vice. Maybe it was just me, but a "sometimes-working" breakpoint is completely useless.

2007-07-25 08:45
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
as for the releases which worked on masons but not on assiduous' real c64.... maybe a 1541 (old) vs 1541-II (new) issue?
Certainly not with Flying Shark and Dylan Dog - the former is a one-filer, the latter crashes prior to the trainer selector.

I don't know about Invest as it obviously crashes on loading, but I doubt it's a drive revision issue given that it fails in the very same manner with 1541 selected in VICE. Could it be that some error was introduced in the process of transferring the disk and Mason checked the original 5,25" floppy?
2007-07-25 08:52
chatGPZ

mhhh... then the only thing i could think of would be kernel issues.... or 6526 vs 6526A, although thats kinda unlikely.
2007-07-25 09:12
assiduous
Account closed

I think we need iAN CooG with his massive collection of Kernal ROMs to check these out =)
2007-07-25 18:35
iAN CooG

Quote: I think we need iAN CooG with his massive collection of Kernal ROMs to check these out =)

I've put all them here, if you want them =)
iancoog.altervista.org/hid/CCS64_kernals.7z

Here's what I found debugging DylanDog/X-Factor.
IRQs are not properly stopped when intro starts, and while calling music init
at $E000 an irq triggers using vector at $FFFE (which points at $F000, hence
the crash)

to fix, before running:

break 2800
x

and then the usual missing one:

> dc0d 7f
x

and intro starts.
Too bad that even the end sequence loading will lead to a crash.
It should do a jsr $1031 to set $01 and other stuff before but doesn't.

fix:

break 1029
x

now press 4 keys N-I-C-O together, release and press LeftShift+Q

> 01 36
x

to make it load.
2007-07-27 18:53
chatGPZ

another strange one: Never Ending
2007-07-27 20:51
iAN CooG

Quote: another strange one: Never Ending

I am not able to find any code that would load next part... are we sure that is meant to load the next part pressing space?
Plus I noticed this
7600  A9 0F     LDA #$0F
7602  8D 18 D4  STA $D418
7605  78        SEI
7606  A9 35     LDA #$35
7608  85 01     STA $01
760A  20 10 E8  JSR $E810 ; play music
760D  A9 37     LDA #$37
760F  85 01     STA $01
7611  58        CLI
7612  A2 00     LDX #$00  ;some delay loop
7614  A0 F4     LDY #$F4
7616  C8        INY
7617  D0 FD     BNE $7616
7619  E8        INX
761A  D0 F8     BNE $7614
761C  60        RTS       ; never reaches here, irq happens during
                          ; previous loop

7630  20 00 76  JSR $7600 ; calls previous routine but
7633  4C 81 EA  JMP $EA81 ; never reaches here, too

someting strange is happening here.
2007-07-27 22:03
chatGPZ

äääääh WTF?

wouldnt that mean it's overflowing the stack after 2 or 3 seconds?
2007-07-27 22:22
iAN CooG

Quote: äääääh WTF?

wouldnt that mean it's overflowing the stack after 2 or 3 seconds?

(C:$7616) m 100
>C:0100  32 76 fc 88  37 a0 16 76  32 76 f7 88  37 a0 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0110  32 76 f8 88  37 a0 16 76  32 76 f5 88  37 a1 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0120  32 76 fb 89  37 a1 17 76  32 76 fe 82  37 a1 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0130  32 76 f6 8a  37 a1 17 76  32 76 f5 8b  37 a1 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0140  7d ea fc 3f  37 a1 17 76  32 76 f7 87  37 a0 16 76   }..?7..v2v..7..v
>C:0150  32 76 fb 89  37 a0 16 76  32 76 f5 88  37 a0 16 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0160  32 76 ff 89  37 a0 17 76  32 76 fe 83  37 a0 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0170  32 76 f5 8b  37 a0 17 76  32 76 fe 8b  37 a0 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0180  32 76 fb 87  37 a0 17 76  32 76 f7 8c  37 a0 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:0190  32 76 f8 8e  37 a0 17 76  32 76 00 8f  37 a0 1a 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:01a0  32 76 00 8f  37 22 17 76  32 76 f6 8e  37 a0 17 76   2v..7".v2v..7..v
>C:01b0  32 76 f7 90  37 a0 16 76  32 76 fb 8f  37 a0 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:01c0  32 76 f7 90  37 a0 16 76  32 76 fa 8e  37 a0 16 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:01d0  32 76 f8 8e  37 a0 17 76  32 76 fb 8c  37 a0 17 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:01e0  32 76 fc 8c  37 a0 16 76  32 76 fa 7f  37 a0 16 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v
>C:01f0  32 76 f7 8a  37 a0 16 76  32 76 00 89  37 a0 1a 76   2v..7..v2v..7..v

\o/ ahrahr
Demo title makes some sense now :)
2007-07-27 22:47
chatGPZ

so what about Weird Newmas 88/89 ? :) the seperate parts work for me, but loading the first part after the intro doesnt (regardless of what option choosed)
2007-07-27 23:59
iAN CooG

Quote: so what about Weird Newmas 88/89 ? :) the seperate parts work for me, but loading the first part after the intro doesnt (regardless of what option choosed)

Someone modified the filenames adding trailing spaces, remove them and loader will be happy. It's true what the note says anyway, that turbo options crashes 2nd part loading (press ctrl to exit).
2007-07-29 14:50
Steppe

Kick Ass 89:
After the second part it looks like it's decrunching the next one, but then it seems to freeze... Can someone investigate if it's only down to Vice 1.21?
2007-07-29 15:13
iAN CooG

Quote: Kick Ass 89:
After the second part it looks like it's decrunching the next one, but then it seems to freeze... Can someone investigate if it's only down to Vice 1.21?

Traced in vice monitor, never reaches the cli/jmp$4000 in the decruncher and memory is filled with garbage. Most probably a bad file. A single byte different leads always to this. Fails in hoxs64 too.
2007-08-03 15:15
chatGPZ

4 Kiloz confuses me, it freaks out after pressing left arrow...but you can start it fine at $1a06 afterwards (and all parts work, so it was depacked correctly too). it does this on all emus, and also on my c64. however i know for a fact that i have seen this running on the real thing before. *weird*
2007-08-05 17:22
tlr

Simple test for support of in-line graphic _data_ changes.
Check for horizontal splits.
Does not work in VICE 1.21 or CCS V3.2. Works in Hoxs V1.0.4.15.

Should probably set $d800 too, but I leave that as an exercise. :)
.C:c000   78         SEI
.C:c001   A9 1F      LDA #$1F
.C:c003   8D 18 D0   STA $D018
.C:c006   A2 00      LDX #$00
.C:c008   8A         TXA
.C:c009   9D 00 04   STA $0400,X
.C:c00c   E8         INX
.C:c00d   D0 FA      BNE $C009
.C:c00f   AD 01 38   LDA $3801
.C:c012   49 FF      EOR #$FF
.C:c014   8D 01 38   STA $3801
.C:c017   EA         NOP
.C:c018   EA         NOP
.C:c019   4C 0F C0   JMP $C00F

2007-08-07 21:07
Steppe

Above the Stars / Squadron:
I'm getting a CPU jam in VICE 1.21 in the part shown in the screenshot.
2007-08-08 01:28
iAN CooG

Quote: Above the Stars / Squadron:
I'm getting a CPU jam in VICE 1.21 in the part shown in the screenshot.

requoting my reply:
"BOMB THE HOUSE!!.prg" is the Bad file, music code at $4002 (from Last ninja 2 perhaps?) is broken, put a rts at $4002 and it will - silently - run.
Load the file, enter vice monitor:

break 4002
g 819

then

> 4002 60
del
x
2007-08-08 07:13
Steppe

Cool, thanks a lot!
2007-08-08 12:45
Conrad

Another Vice bug I've found today (if no-one has discussed it):
Latch X and Y ($d013 and $d014) are not emulated properly on Vice.

I tested this by repeatedly printing their read values on the screen by every frame, alongside the values stored in $dc00 and $dc01 - as I wanted to test this after seeing a very nice raster stable routine in an old Crest demo.

On Vice, when you press and hold the space bar or any of the keys in the bottom row, the values in $d013 and $d014 only change once, where as on CCS64 and a REAL c64, they change every frame - which is of course what they SHOULD be doing on Vice.

Maybe this bug can be fixed for the next version?

EDIT: The stable routine by the way, was found in the mega split-raster part in Blow Job 5/Crest, I'm not too sure if it was either Crossbow or Vision who coded the routine.
2007-08-08 13:05
null
Account closed

Quote: Another Vice bug I've found today (if no-one has discussed it):
Latch X and Y ($d013 and $d014) are not emulated properly on Vice.

I tested this by repeatedly printing their read values on the screen by every frame, alongside the values stored in $dc00 and $dc01 - as I wanted to test this after seeing a very nice raster stable routine in an old Crest demo.

On Vice, when you press and hold the space bar or any of the keys in the bottom row, the values in $d013 and $d014 only change once, where as on CCS64 and a REAL c64, they change every frame - which is of course what they SHOULD be doing on Vice.

Maybe this bug can be fixed for the next version?

EDIT: The stable routine by the way, was found in the mega split-raster part in Blow Job 5/Crest, I'm not too sure if it was either Crossbow or Vision who coded the routine.

mega rastersplit part was coded by crossbow, afaik

------------------------------------
Knoeki/DigitalSoundsSystem/GheyMaidInc/SwappersWithAttitude
http://hardwarehacks.untergrund.net/misc/zomgwtfbbq/
2007-08-08 13:14
chatGPZ

that way of doing stable raster was developed by hannes sommer and published in the 64er mag (just for the records :=P).

good find though, care to write a small testprog that shows the problem? :)
2007-08-08 13:41
Conrad

Quote:
good find though, care to write a small testprog that shows the problem? :)

I just simply did this in AR monitor:

loop:

LDA $DC00   ; Keyboard write/Joyport 1
STA $0400   ; 

LDA $DC01   ; Keyboard read/Joyport 2
STA $0401   ;

LDA $D013   ; Latch X
STA $0403   ;

LDA $D014   ; Latch Y
STA $0404

JMP loop

Doesn't matter how IRQ is setup etc. The effect relies on when you press various bottom row keys or hit fire button in Joyport 1. Try it on Vice and then the real machine and you'll see the difference.
2007-08-12 23:09
iAN CooG

Vice 1.22 is out and I did some rechecks:

- [vice] Relax #03 Relax #03

Now starts even the unpatched version

*** [Vice, CCS, HOXS] Die Donnernde Kataun/Abyss Die Donnernde Kataun

Now starts even the unpatched version

New bug:
[vice 1.22] Borderless/The Dreams Borderless

Works in earlier version and all the others. In 1.22 only a light blue screen.
Changing VIC-II settings/border doesn't produce differences.
The notefile works in normal and full borders mode, not in debug mode.
2007-08-13 14:41
iAN CooG

Partial bug, still an issue:
[vice 1.22] Demode/Chorus Demode
4th part, works only with normal borders.
With full borders you read "HE POP inside", few pixels only instead of letter T
With debug borders you read "POP inside", few pixels only instead of THE

2007-08-13 15:00
iAN CooG

Quoting David Horrocks from comp.emulators.cbm:
Quote:

Hi Vice Team,

The demo H2K by Plush seems to have further degraded due to the sprite
emulation changes in this version. VICE v1.21 played better. The part that
is affected is the totally blue screen that slowly turns to a totally black
screen by way of an anticlockwise sweeping effect. This anticlockwise
sweeping effect appears immediately before the chessboard screen during disk
one. I have confirmed that the display is correct on a real C64C. CCSv3.0
has a comparable fault with the same effect which has been corrected in
CCSv3.3. I believe the problem lays with the logic that decides when to
start emptying the internal sprite shift registers out the display and/or
the logic that fills the internal sprite shift registers with data. Hope
this helps.

Regards
David

so:
[Vice 1.22] +H2K/Plush +H2K
Choose "Chessboard spin" in part requester, the anticlockwise wipe effect shows some dirty lines.

I have to add that the endscroller crashes just after the last japanese text. In Hoxs64 continues correctly.
2007-08-13 15:54
Scout

[Vice 1.22] So-Phisticated still doesn't work.
2007-08-13 17:40
Mace

There were no changes in the C64 engine, as I understood from the change log.
2007-08-13 17:56
Ed

When I watched the part "undulation" (can be accessed via the shortcut and press fire, and then load undulation from the good old Crest demo, the Bubble Tale

I noticed that with the Vic II border set to Debug. It looks like crap. the sprites are bouncing of the rasterbar and everything is fucked.

with the Vic Ii border set to full, it is a bit more close to the original but there is a bug in the stretch routine which was not even there in vice 1.21 or displayed in c64.

2007-08-13 18:09
Rubi
Account closed

Just want to let you know that we're working on fixing (some of) the bugs you're collecting here. Thanks for this list.

Current state of progress:
ElvenWarrior, Camelpark: Patch exist to fix the problem
Tsunami: Problem is identified, patch needs further investigation
+H2K (before chessboard): Problem is identified (sprite x positioning), got worse with the patch for Krestage 9 sprite feauture, needs more investigation.

The new VICII border modes were introduced by Krill but he oversaw that the borderwidth variable is used for some essetial calculation which needs to be fixed.

Bad luck that there were more bugs introduced with 1.22 release. Maybe we could find some beta testers before releasing next one.
2007-08-13 18:53
MagerValp

Quote:
Bad luck that there were more bugs introduced with 1.22 release. Maybe we could find some beta testers before releasing next one.

Why don't you do a public beta, or a release candidate, a week or two before releasing the final? Doesn't have to be a full release, just win32 binary and source snapshot, so that people can download and test.
2007-08-13 19:09
tlr

Quote: There were no changes in the C64 engine, as I understood from the change log.

Few changes there, yes.

You can browse differences here: http://viceplus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/viceplus/branches/vi..
2007-08-13 20:29
null
Account closed

Quote:
I have to add that the endscroller crashes just after the last japanese text. In Hoxs64 continues correctly.

that also happens on real c64 sometimes. try using 1541-II as drive, loader is more compatible with that (according to Krill himself)

2007-08-13 21:20
iAN CooG

that also happens on real c64 sometimes. try using 1541-II as drive, loader is more compatible with that (according to Krill himself)

Of course 1541-II has to be used, else you won't get to the end of side 2. Still crashes in vice 1.22, works on hoxs64 which uses a 1541-II rom.
2007-08-14 16:50
tlr

From #x64dtv-dev:
Quote:
[18:42] nojoopa: BTW there's a bug in vice 1.22, SH[SXY]_ABS_[XY] take 1 CLK too much. Tested with vice 1.21 & 1.22 using tsuit215. Fixed in viceplus. Sent a bug report to viceteam.
[18:44] nojoopa: Opcodes coming up...
[18:46] nojoopa: 9B, 9C, 9E & 9F.

Fixed builds coming up in the x64dtv thread...
2007-08-16 08:56
tlr

From #x64dtv-dev:
Quote:
[10:39] kiesel: Found a nasty bug in x64 monitor (WATCHing zeropage addresses fails for zeropage opcodes). Fortunately this bug doesn't appear in x64dtv since the optimization that breaks this is disabled in x64dtv ;-).
[10:46] _tlr: Hi
[10:46] _tlr: Interesting bug! Is it there in 1.21?
[10:46] _tlr: Or is it only in viceplus?
[10:48] kiesel: It's in VICE 1.20, 1.21, 1.22 and in VICEplus (not x64dtv). I sent a bug report already.
[10:48] _tlr: Cool! Can you tell me some more details, and I'll post a snippet of this to the bug thread on csdb?
[10:50] kiesel: It's only for the monitor, not the actual 6502 emulation, so it might be not that interesting for csdb - but still, if someone wants to use the monitor, it's better if you know that bug ;-)
[10:50] kiesel: Just a moment
[10:51] kiesel: Enter monitor... then...
[10:51] kiesel: a c000 lda $80
[10:51] kiesel: .c002 jmp $c000
[10:51] kiesel: .c005
[10:51] kiesel: (C:$c005) watch 80
[10:51] kiesel: WATCH: 1 C:$0080 load store enabled
[10:51] kiesel: (C:$c005) g c000
[10:51] kiesel: (no watch break)
2007-08-16 09:14
JackAsser

A bug I discovered in VICE when I coded on The Wild Bunch was that the timing when an NMI interrupts an IRQ setup was incorrect. IIRC it was 4 cycles too much in comparison to the real thing. All I remember was that I had to take special precautions to old CIA, new CIA and VICE CIA. I'll try setup a test case someday or if somebody else cares to look at it.
2007-08-17 17:38
Steppe

Bug in Anal TV concerning Vice, CCS64 and Hoxs:
Crashes after loading the third part, identical on all three emulators. I figure the diskimage is bad, anyone got a good one?
2007-08-17 21:10
tlr

@jackasser: A test program for this would be very useful! Both for vice and for the x64dtv emulation.
2007-08-29 00:55
chatGPZ

i have updated the list again, check http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt and review :)

steppe: did you check on the real thing?
2007-09-18 18:18
Conrad

Disk-drive problem I've found in WinVice v1.22:

After receiving a copy of Krill's loader (version 22) for an upcoming project, the loader does not seem to be compatible in loading files under a 1541 or 1541-II disk drive attached (testing with ONE device attached as instructed)... on all other drives it works fine. The installation of the drive code works, but after execution command (M-E) the drive LED is on and drive itself seems to freeze. Krill said that the loader does work on HIS version of Vice, which is version 1.20 - so it seems it's a bug in version 1.22 (when drive LED enhancement was put in.)

Previous 2006 demos like "The Wild Bunch" and "Aurora 85%-90%" which use Krill's loader - all seem to work fine, but that may be because it's using an older version of the loader.

I then installed an older version of Vice (1.21) and tested the loader on that, and it worked perfectly.

I then checked all v1.22 ROMs stored in the DRIVE folder, but they are exactly the same as the ROMs in older versions, so it's not the ROMs that's causing this particular problem.
2007-09-19 18:12
chancer

maybe an idea, I don't know. a flag on the releases page to show which emulators don't run certain demos etc. Yes people comment on them, but it would might make it easier to just make a list of them quickly?

appart from the code falling over, a lot of packers/loaders would cause problems? so perhaps fixing them first within the emulator would help clear that list a lot.

do you fix the demo, or the emulator?!?!

although emu's do a good job on the whole =)
2007-09-19 22:09
scythoior

in the file "tune-eater" (see http://scythoior.com/W0641A.D64) we had a logo that was flashing in sync to the music (iirc it was triggered by the 81-waveform on track 1). in vice it flashes much too often, there must be something incorrect with the triggering (V1.21). It runs correctly on a real c64 (old "breadbox"-version with MOS 6581 SID, but i don't know the version-number of the 6502).
2007-09-20 00:42
chatGPZ

Quote:

do you fix the demo, or the emulator?!?!

uh, fixing any c64 stuff to work in a certain emu is just WRONG =P if the emu is broken, the emu should be fixed :)

and i dont think csdb needs emu related flags.... this is a c64 site afterall, not an emulation site.... if it doesnt work in emu, just run it on your c64 :=)
2007-09-20 02:33
Rough
Account closed

full agreement, Emus have to be 1oo%, if not their development team must improve the thingie.
2007-09-20 14:03
chancer

Groepaz: I thought it might be more straight forward / helpful to people like yourself with the lists.

both crash out on latest version of winvice.

Megademo - HIC
The Megademo

loader crashs after first pic samples part

that's design - crazy
That's Design

crashs at shark picture / loader

both cpu jam's.

I just wanted to see the reaction, about the comment regarding the emulator thing (it was a joke). Maybe I'm totally wrong but a lot of the bugs happen due to loaders/depack routines. If they fixed them 100% then it would clear up a lot of obvious compatability problems?
2007-09-20 14:23
chatGPZ

Quote:

Maybe I'm totally wrong but a lot of the bugs happen due to loaders/depack routines. If they fixed them 100% then it would clear up a lot of obvious compatability problems?

unfortunatly it's not that easy. most remaining vice bugs seem to be somehow related to timing inuaccuracies and other weird conditions.

however, it seems vice developers are actually going through the list at the moment, and some stuff appearently is also fixed by now. we'll see what changes in next release (btw the 1.22 version introduced some bugs caused by krills border patches, so you might also want to test with 1.21)
2007-09-20 15:33
Steppe

At least That's Design/Crazy works for me in the latest Vice. It's a matter of disabling the Virtual Device Traps, I think.
2007-09-20 22:01
iAN CooG

Quote: At least That's Design/Crazy works for me in the latest Vice. It's a matter of disabling the Virtual Device Traps, I think.

Confirmed, saw that demo many times and works perfectly.
Even HIC megademo works.
TDE ON and VDT OFF must be the default, always.
2007-09-21 01:17
chancer

thanks for that Steppe / iAN CooG.. ok.. how about a flag in csdb entries that says to turn off drive trapping etc?
(sorry couldn't resist)

2007-09-21 06:17
cadaver

VICE could switch virtual device traps off automatically when TDE is active, I guess both traps & TDE on combo is quite useless. The other route is education, but not necessarily here... Actually the age-old C64S did a much better job on educating people, for there was the popup when diskdrive programming was attempted in fast mode.
2007-09-21 12:46
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: VICE could switch virtual device traps off automatically when TDE is active, I guess both traps & TDE on combo is quite useless. The other route is education, but not necessarily here... Actually the age-old C64S did a much better job on educating people, for there was the popup when diskdrive programming was attempted in fast mode.

That's not true. Try to load a t64 file with traps disabled. Isn't possible. The emulator cannot know if you want to load a "trapped" or a "real" image next. TDE and VDT enabled is best solution in most cases.
2007-09-21 13:54
chatGPZ

t64 are a failed and bad design. they dont even represent any actual existing media (like d64).

the only good solution imho would be that a t64 gets silently converted into a tap file when you open it, making those damned device traps completely unnecessary. (that should even be quite easy to implement)
2007-09-21 19:56
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: t64 are a failed and bad design. they dont even represent any actual existing media (like d64).

the only good solution imho would be that a t64 gets silently converted into a tap file when you open it, making those damned device traps completely unnecessary. (that should even be quite easy to implement)

But how many t64 files exist in the gamebase64? Thousands I guess. And it would be a hard job to explain users why we slow down loading of these files by converting them to taps internally.

Some addition to my comments about your current bugfile I sent you on wednesday: I have tested Beyond Dark Castle and Skull & Crossbones/Faces now on my real C64. Both behave exactly the same way as on VICE. They crash/hang.
2007-09-21 20:09
chatGPZ

Quote:

But how many t64 files exist in the gamebase64? Thousands I guess. And it would be a hard job to explain users why we slow down loading of these files by converting them to taps internally.

i dont't care about gamebase and it's users at all to be honest. accurate emulation is what comes first.

and i really dont think that this conversion will take more than a couple of microseconds either :)

(i'll look through your comments and update the list again .... later =))
2007-09-23 16:27
chatGPZ

new CCS64: http://www.computerbrains.com/ccs64/CCS64%20V3.4.zip
2007-09-23 16:32
Graham
Account closed

Quote:

T64 files have absolutely nothing to do with tapes, so there is no reason to convert them to TAP. Better convert them to D64.
2007-09-23 16:34
tlr

I agree.
They are loaded as tape files by default in VICE though.
2007-09-23 16:39
chatGPZ

Quote:

T64 files have absolutely nothing to do with tapes, so there is no reason to convert them to TAP. Better convert them to D64.

very good point :) that would even be more trivial to do :) (however, there could be more data in a t64 than fits into a d64.....not that its common or anything)
2007-09-26 11:52
null
Account closed

Red Storm/Triad... has unstable ( flickering ) rasterbar in top left corner at the text screen, this does not occur on a real machine.

also, CPU jams at the DIGI part ( which doen't happen on a real machine either ^^ )

http://hardwarehacks.untergrund.net/zomgwtfbbq/index.php
2007-09-28 06:31
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: Red Storm/Triad... has unstable ( flickering ) rasterbar in top left corner at the text screen, this does not occur on a real machine.

also, CPU jams at the DIGI part ( which doen't happen on a real machine either ^^ )

All three emulators show the flickering and all three crash/jam on the same memory address. Are you really sure that the demo runs different on a usual C64?
2007-09-29 02:58
chatGPZ

TRC+TBI Intro 10 doesn't seem to work on any emulator.

and uh yes, red storm definetly doesn't crash on the real thing (no idea about the flickering).
2007-09-29 06:43
Steppe

Groepaz closed his account?
And didn't Red Storm use to work in earlier versions of Vice? I mean, how else did I get the screenshots? ;-)
2007-09-29 19:41
Rubi
Account closed

The red storm image from the first link crashes all emulators, I haven't tested real C64 but I will.
The red storm image from c64.ch runs fine on VICE. So probably the image from the first link is broken.
2007-09-29 21:19
null
Account closed

Quote: The red storm image from the first link crashes all emulators, I haven't tested real C64 but I will.
The red storm image from c64.ch runs fine on VICE. So probably the image from the first link is broken.

okay, I removed it to avoid further confusion.

2007-09-29 22:21
chatGPZ

Quote:

\o/ Knoeki for president :)
2007-09-30 06:07
Rubi
Account closed

And just for the records: The removed images crashes on my real thing. And the flickering raster is also visible (even at the lower one if your TV displays enough of the left border).

TRC/TBI intro bug is confirmed. Probably related to a "IRQ cannot be aknowledged just before it starts" bug in VICE that is known for a long time but hard to fix.
2007-09-30 13:06
null
Account closed

\o/ Knoeki for president :)

nah, president is a bit too much for me.. ;_) I do want to be a mod though ;_)

2007-10-02 11:25
chatGPZ

The Wisdom

(yesyes i should update the list again....later =P)
2007-10-02 11:45
assiduous
Account closed

Hello.

Quote:
- [vice,hoxs] Tsunami/Booze Designs Tsunami

"The interlaced girl in the demo Tsunami features 8 bad pixels on her nose when running on
VICE (as HCL stated in the note IIRC)"

"Well spotted, the glitch is visible in Hoxs64 too. CCS64 v3.3 isn't affected by this."

"abo: Problem is identified, patch needs further investigation"

Hoxs64 no longer affected, works in v1.0.4.26+.
2007-10-02 12:48
iAN CooG

Quote: The Wisdom

(yesyes i should update the list again....later =P)

Bad file, at end there are $fe bytes (one entire sector) all zeroed, and seems too short because decrunch routine reads from $7ddd, there is nothing there. Most probably there was a bad sector in the middle of the file.
2007-10-02 14:38
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: Bad file, at end there are $fe bytes (one entire sector) all zeroed, and seems too short because decrunch routine reads from $7ddd, there is nothing there. Most probably there was a bad sector in the middle of the file.

Oh come on, please "test" bugs on different emulators and if all show the same behaviour then test the image on a real C64 before claiming another VICE bug here. How shall I fix existing bugs when I have to waste my time with these "fakes".
2007-10-02 14:45
chatGPZ

uh, thats exactly what are we doing in this thread? =P
2007-10-02 15:00
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: uh, thats exactly what are we doing in this thread? =P

Well, the thread is called "C64 emulator bugs" and if you post "TheWisdom" without any comment (with the comment that the buglist file has to be updated which could mean that "The Wisdom" should be included in this context), I got the impression that TheWisdom IS already tested.

Okay, now that I'm writing this I remember that you're a Linux user and don't have other emulators to crosscheck the file. So please forgive my impatience.
2007-10-02 15:10
chatGPZ

hehe well, actually i can run ccs64 and hoxs64 fine in wine.... but infact i do little testing myself, i just collect the comments and maintain the list (if in doubt, i prefer programming over anything else really =P)
2007-10-09 10:25
chatGPZ

Trilight ... in the final fairlight intro the rasters in the middle of the screen flicker a bit in vice 1.22 ... didnt check on the real thing
2007-10-09 12:25
Oswald

AR reset fails (goes to AR freeze instead) in Vice 1.18 when setting breakpoints in the Vice monitor. oh curse me I'm lazy to dl the latest one and retest :P

ed: AR75h.crt
2007-10-10 08:41
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: Trilight ... in the final fairlight intro the rasters in the middle of the screen flicker a bit in vice 1.22 ... didnt check on the real thing

I guess it's a bug in the intro. The check for the raster line takes too long in some frames and so the bad line will delay the D021 change.

Good frame:
.827E 170 060  351892482  CD 12 D0   CMP $D012 A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8281 171 001  351892486  F0 FB      BEQ $827E A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8283 171 003  351892488  8C 21 D0   STY $D021 A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8286 171 007  351892492  E8         INX       A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8287 171 009  351892494  E0 19      CPX #$19  A=$AA X=$03 Y=$0A SP=$F9
*** DMA VICII  351892496  43
.8289 171 054  351892539  D0 EC      BNE $8277 A=$AA X=$03 Y=$0A SP=$F9

Bad frame:
.827E 170 059  351872825  CD 12 D0   CMP $D012 A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8281 171 000  351872829  F0 FB      BEQ $827E A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.827E 171 003  351872832  CD 12 D0   CMP $D012 A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8281 171 007  351872836  F0 FB      BEQ $827E A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8283 171 009  351872838  8C 21 D0   STY $D021 A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
*** DMA VICII  351872840  43
.8286 171 056  351872885  E8         INX       A=$AA X=$02 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8287 171 058  351872887  E0 19      CPX #$19  A=$AA X=$03 Y=$0A SP=$F9
.8289 171 060  351872889  D0 EC      BNE $8277 A=$AA X=$03 Y=$0A SP=$F9

But there's another graphic glitch visible in VICE under the two shifting fairlight logos. This is incorrect emulation of video mode changing. I hope to fix this soon.
2007-10-10 09:58
JackAsser

@rubi: How do you get that kind of output? That could be highly useful...
2007-10-10 10:28
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: @rubi: How do you get that kind of output? That could be highly useful...

Enable #define DEBUG in debug.h and compile VICE, then you'll get several debugging options (for WinVICE look into the File menu, debugging output will be written to the vice.log file).

DEBUG isn't defined for official releases cause it makes thing a little bit slower (even if you don't debug).

And while we're at debugging: Krill implemented some stepping through frames in WinVICE-1.22 (which is available even without DEBUG): Pause emulation with ALT-Pause, then you can step to next frame with ALT-+

Hope that helps.
2007-10-10 11:33
JackAsser

@rubi: ahh yeah ok, nice to know. How is a DMA VICII presented when it's executed in the middle of an RMW-opcode?
2007-10-10 12:03
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
TRC+TBI Intro 10 doesn't seem to work on any emulator.

Hoxs64 displays it correctly now, the intro works in v1.0.5.0+.
2007-10-10 12:35
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: @rubi: ahh yeah ok, nice to know. How is a DMA VICII presented when it's executed in the middle of an RMW-opcode?

See this example (rasterline 59 pixel 5 in my testprog with maincpu clock 8868578 on the first instruction):
.08C1 059 005    8868578  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$11 Y=$01 SP=$E6
*** DMA VICII    8868584  43
.08C4 059 054    8868627  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$11 Y=$01 SP=$E6

The first inc instructions is executed completely, then the DMA stops the CPU for three cycles (next opcode inc starts with reading bus access) plus 40 DMA cycles so the DMA takes 43 cycles from the CPU.

Now see another example (rasterline 67):
.08C4 067 001    8869078  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$1C Y=$01 SP=$E6
.08C7 067 007    8869084  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$1C Y=$01 SP=$E6
*** DMA VICII    8869088  41
.08CA 067 054    8869131  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$1C Y=$01 SP=$E6
.08CD 067 060    8869137  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$1C Y=$01 SP=$E6

Here the INC writes to the bus when the DMA starts pulling BA on low, so the DMA stops the CPU after this instruction and the DMA takes 41 cycles from the CPU.
As you can see there's no easy way to see if an instruction is completely executed before the DMA or not.

Reading the debug will be even harder with sprite DMA (there's no clock output for sprite DMA right now) with some sprites disabled leaving cycles for the CPU but not enough for a complete instruction. See this example:

.08CD 105 051   79868994  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$50 Y=$01 SP=$E6
SDMA 1
SDMA 3
SDMA 5
SDMA 7
*** DMA VICII   79868999  16
.08D0 106 010   79869016  EE 21 D0   INC $D021 A=$08 X=$50 Y=$01 SP=$E6

2007-10-14 15:21
Ed

I've noticed a small but quite disturbing bug that comes with the Vice 1.22 and the Viceplus emulator.
When adjusting the volume (to for instance a low-setting) and entering full-screen mode and then re-entering the windows-mode, the volume-setting is set back to full.

I have not tested whether or not this depends on the main volume setting on windows, nevertheless it is disturbing.

Other than that, an ok feature which every emulator should have incorporated!
2007-11-02 05:51
Pouso-G
Account closed

I have this volume problem also. And there is still the prob with the True Drive Emulation when loading PRGs...
2007-11-05 07:43
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: I have this volume problem also. And there is still the prob with the True Drive Emulation when loading PRGs...

The volume problem will be fixed next release.
What exactly do you mean by "prob with the True Drive Emulation when loading PRGs"?
2007-11-05 11:12
MagerValp

Quote: The volume problem will be fixed next release.
What exactly do you mean by "prob with the True Drive Emulation when loading PRGs"?

x64 -truedrive -autostart foo.prg launches with true drive emu disabled. It's disabled to load the prg "fast", but it doesn't re-enable like it does if you autostart a d64.
2007-11-09 12:52
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: x64 -truedrive -autostart foo.prg launches with true drive emu disabled. It's disabled to load the prg "fast", but it doesn't re-enable like it does if you autostart a d64.

Well, VICE handles a prg file as a single file on a disk that is represented by the directory of your host system (see "peripheral settings").

LOAD"$",8
LIST

shows the content of the host directory you are attached to. There is no "true drive emulation" for a disk represented by a directory. And how shall VICE know that you need TDE after you have loaded a prg from the directory. Is is more likely that you want to access another prg in the same directory, so VICE stays on the directory. So I really wouldn't call this a bug.
2007-11-09 15:11
Pouso-G
Account closed

I think it would be easier to link that option in the "open file" window as a check box. so you don't have to start a program twice, cause of switching off itself... just an idea i got...
2007-11-15 20:41
iAN CooG

[vice] Charlatan/Beyond Force
Charlatan

1st part doesn't work well in Vice 1.22, works in hoxs 1.0.5.x and ccs 2.0/3.4
2007-11-16 11:04
chatGPZ

Quote: Well, VICE handles a prg file as a single file on a disk that is represented by the directory of your host system (see "peripheral settings").

LOAD"$",8
LIST

shows the content of the host directory you are attached to. There is no "true drive emulation" for a disk represented by a directory. And how shall VICE know that you need TDE after you have loaded a prg from the directory. Is is more likely that you want to access another prg in the same directory, so VICE stays on the directory. So I really wouldn't call this a bug.

i would, if i tell vice to use truedrive emu on commandline, i expect it to use it. end of story. the current behaviour might be acceptable when you DONT explicitly state that truedrive emu should be used, but if you do it isnt.

the same is true for d64 files. whatever nonsense makes vice toggle truedrive emu off/on - it should be possible to disable this.

oh and last not least. when i attach a d81, i want to use 1581 emulation, not 1541 =D
2007-11-16 11:27
WVL

Actually, I think there should be 3 kinds of behaviour when loading a prg.

1) -> turn true drive emu off
-> use the directory on the pc as 'drive'
-> load the file from the 'drive'
-> basically the same as it is now, problem with cartridges (AR6)

2) -> put the .prg into a temporary .d64
-> keep true drive emulation ON
-> load the file from the temporaty .d64

3) -> simply dump the .prg into the memory (no loading!, actually much like CCS64 does it)
-> keep true drive emu on, but there's no disk in the drive.

Actually I would much prefer the 2nd method, since it is just way more close to a real c64 and stops you from having problems with cartridges/etc, which go b0rk with non-true-drive-emulation.
2007-11-16 11:39
Oswald

files should be dumped into mem, and true drive emu never turned off once the user requested it. the current behaviour is very frustrating.
2007-11-16 11:48
WVL

Quote: files should be dumped into mem, and true drive emu never turned off once the user requested it. the current behaviour is very frustrating.

that's method 3 then ;)

Anyway, i can see how option 1 is nice for some ppl, but frustrating for others.. Why not have 1,2 and 3? :D
2007-11-16 12:17
chatGPZ

the most frustrating thing imho is that even when you attach a d64, vice will toggle TDE off/on (so it can cheat on loading the first program). so when i run vice with "x64 bla.d64" and then hit "reset" in ar menu, i end up with TDE switched off (although its enabled in the vice config). that sucks hard.
2007-11-16 12:29
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: the most frustrating thing imho is that even when you attach a d64, vice will toggle TDE off/on (so it can cheat on loading the first program). so when i run vice with "x64 bla.d64" and then hit "reset" in ar menu, i end up with TDE switched off (although its enabled in the vice config). that sucks hard.

Then why don't you disable virtual device traps?
2007-11-16 15:21
cba

Not working in VICE Vision
2007-11-17 12:22
chatGPZ

Quote: Then why don't you disable virtual device traps?

because then ONLY d64s will work as expected. i did this a while ago and then it took me a week to figure out WHY THE HELL autostarting t64 and prg doesnt work anymore. (infact, they would not work anymore at all)

like i said before, leave the autostart setting alone. for fast initial loading, toggle warpmode on/off, that would probably be almost as fast, and has zero compatibility problems.

whatever - what really kills me is that such whacked up behaviour ends up beeing the default, and even more, it can even not be switched off at all!. whoever had the bright idea to do it like this should be slapped left and right and in the middle with an extra punch =P
2007-11-19 09:52
cba

Block Out

bugging in VICE
2007-11-19 10:50
Mace

Quote: Block Out

bugging in VICE

It doesn't work in HOXS v1.0.5.8 either.
But I didn't test on TRM (The Real Machine ;-) ).
2007-11-19 19:12
iAN CooG

Quote: Block Out

bugging in VICE

"1541 CPU: Jam in $1200" is normally caused by a BRK encountered during drive
code execution. The loader at $4c00 does a "M-E" $07c0, but there's NO code here.
Just try OPEN1,8,15,"M-E"+CHR$(192)+CHR$(7) and you'll get the same Vice error.
At $0700-$07ff in drive RAM there should be the current BAM (trk18 sect00) and
the loader assumes that on the slack space after the disk name there is some code,
but this d64 is cleaned from extra bytes.
(8:$07c0) m 700
>8:0700  12 01 41 00  15 ff ff 1f  15 ff ff 1f  15 ff ff 1f   ..A.............
>8:0710  15 ff ff 1f  02 00 20 02  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ...... .........
>8:0720  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:0730  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:0740  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  0f 6c ff 07  00 00 00 00   .........l......
>8:0750  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:0760  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:0770  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  09 55 55 01   .............UU.
>8:0780  11 ff ff 01  11 ff ff 01  11 ff ff 01  11 ff ff 01   ................
>8:0790  54 41 4c 45  4e 54 45 44  20 52 55 4c  45 52 5a 21   TALENTED RULERZ!
>8:07a0  a0 a0 2d 42  4f 44 2d a0  a0 a0 a0 00  00 00 00 00   ..-BOD-.........
>8:07b0  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:07c0->00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:07d0  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:07e0  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................
>8:07f0  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00   ................

The original code most probably just loaded the rest from the free sectors
in trk18, which are clean too. Recovering this disk is impossible unless the
exact same loader was used and known in another crack.
There are many not working cracks for the same reason, sectors on track 18
carelessly cleaned or even not copied during the dump process. Whole disk
copy on these disks is needed.
2007-11-19 19:19
chatGPZ

why does it not surprise me that this is one of the BOD disks? =P
2007-11-19 19:58
Danzig

Yeahyah.. In BOD we trust... *lolz*
2007-11-27 18:20
Steppe

Hangs after the Ninja picture in CCS64 V3.4: Sphaeristerium/Triad

Edit: Ah crap, it works, forget it. ;-)
2007-12-04 10:21
cba

Another one not working : Snodgits

Not checked yet on a real c64
2007-12-04 16:07
WVL

I've noticed a bug _not_ visible in (at least) vice 1.13,1.14,1.20 and 1.22. It does show up on the real thing and in (at least) the latest version of Hoxs64.

However, I don't want to share this bit of code yet :P I'll make a safe copy of it, so i can send it to the VICE-team after next year's X-party..
2007-12-04 19:43
Burglar

Quote: I've noticed a bug _not_ visible in (at least) vice 1.13,1.14,1.20 and 1.22. It does show up on the real thing and in (at least) the latest version of Hoxs64.

However, I don't want to share this bit of code yet :P I'll make a safe copy of it, so i can send it to the VICE-team after next year's X-party..

Xenon demo!
2007-12-16 04:48
Oswald

Vice 1.22 often doesnt redraws it's window (the c64 screen) when maximized back from the tray.
2008-01-07 09:19
Rubi
Account closed

VICE beta testers wanted. See VICE beta testers - anyone?
2008-01-25 16:59
Oswald

btw, can someone convince The Vice Team to change the default settings to "true drive emulation on" ? It would save a lot of people from frustration who dont know c64 or vice, but would like to watch a few demos/play multiload games. Also its time for a "save settings as.." and fixing the annoying behaviour which causes "true drive emulation" to be turned off.

thank you.

ps, and how about a warm reset option when the cpu jams
ps2, no I wont code it for myself.
2008-01-25 17:25
jailbird

A rare occasion I second Oswaldbogár. Really, what the fuck was going on their mind when they disabled true drive emulation by default? Is there any use for that by the way?
2008-01-25 17:36
Tim
Account closed

Yup, agree totally with what Oswald said..

I’ve been wondering forever about some standard features, but especially that true drive emulation thingy. When would an average user NOT want true drive emulation?

Also the monitor jam; sometimes it hangs so badly that any reset/freeze doesn’t work and shut-down + reboot is the only solution.. but I guess that’s my poor coding doing that.. hehe ;)
2008-01-25 18:58
Raf

Quote: A rare occasion I second Oswaldbogár. Really, what the fuck was going on their mind when they disabled true drive emulation by default? Is there any use for that by the way?

it speeds up loading stuff (and won't fuck up the things only if onefiled stuff is loaded of course....)

Quote:

Yup, agree totally with what Oswald said..

I’ve been wondering forever about some standard features, but especially that true drive emulation thingy. When would an average user NOT want true drive emulation?

Also the monitor jam; sometimes it hangs so badly that any reset/freeze doesn’t work and shut-down + reboot is the only solution.. but I guess that’s my poor coding doing that.. hehe ;)

this is vice problem ;-)

loading binaries in monitor is also fucked up (and is not fixed in vice plus so far) - there is no ability to load binary to other addy (vice takes all the shit as it was PRG so two bytes from start are left even if you actually load RAW binary, not PRG, and there is no controlr over his behaviour at all)

however those bitches ( ;-) )from official VICE team are not interested in fixing some bugs...

www.vulture.c64.org
2008-01-25 20:35
chatGPZ

support viceplus, thats what i do anyway :)
2008-01-27 17:09
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: btw, can someone convince The Vice Team to change the default settings to "true drive emulation on" ? It would save a lot of people from frustration who dont know c64 or vice, but would like to watch a few demos/play multiload games. Also its time for a "save settings as.." and fixing the annoying behaviour which causes "true drive emulation" to be turned off.

thank you.

ps, and how about a warm reset option when the cpu jams
ps2, no I wont code it for myself.

What are you talking about? True drive emulation IS enabled by default. You probably mean disabling virtual device traps but that was dicussed here in several postings.
And a warm reset is there since ages (we call it soft reset).

And by the way: Asking for beta tester I got one (1, ONE) answer of someone willing to get a developer release to test for regression (will send it next week). Where are all the guys complaining about bugs in VICE.

2008-01-27 17:25
chatGPZ

like i said in the other thread, you should post links to a binary and a source. making this an ultra secret exclusive thing for a handful selected people wont get you very far. i can very well understand that people dont want to send out a mail and wait for "approval" just to get work done for you, it should be the other way around really. set up a public cvs, and a bugtracker - and you'll get a lot of help, i am sure.
2008-01-27 19:09
iAN CooG

Quote: What are you talking about? True drive emulation IS enabled by default. You probably mean disabling virtual device traps but that was dicussed here in several postings.
And a warm reset is there since ages (we call it soft reset).

And by the way: Asking for beta tester I got one (1, ONE) answer of someone willing to get a developer release to test for regression (will send it next week). Where are all the guys complaining about bugs in VICE.

I think he means warm/soft reset without clearing memory after a cpu jam.
Currently the only way is to enter monitor and do g fce2 manually, probably a choice to soft reset without clearing is to be considered.
Concerning the beta and how vice updates are kept "secret" I have to agree I would prefer to see the modifications as soon they are made, like browsing a cvs/svn repository, and why not, nightly builds.
2008-01-28 08:56
Oswald

rubi, hey really sorry :) but more often than not starting a prg, or stopping an auto boot sequence will turn it off, at the end of the day it feels it isnt :-(
2008-04-25 20:47
Steppe

Bionic Commando Music bugs like hell in Vice 1.22, but works fine in VicePlus 1.22 and in Hoxs.
2008-04-25 21:26
iAN CooG

Quote: Bionic Commando Music bugs like hell in Vice 1.22, but works fine in VicePlus 1.22 and in Hoxs.

already works in 1.22.8 beta ;)
2008-04-25 21:34
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: already works in 1.22.8 beta ;)

not very reliably. ive experienced the same problem in v1.22.8,fails in about 50% of attempts
2008-05-03 05:47
iAN CooG

Metalvotze - Kotze Inside
Kotze Inside
doesn't run at all in Hoxs 1.0.5.19 if launched from commandline with -quickload, hangs with a grey border.
(seems like the dreaded tde-auto-switch-off hits hoxs too :)

Ccs64 2.0 and Vice 1.20 shows the inital logo correctly.
Vice 1.22/Vice 1.22.8beta, if FULL borders are used, show a grey area on the left (fli bug)
2008-05-03 08:44
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
doesn't run at all in Hoxs 1.0.5.19 if launched from commandline with -quickload, hangs with a grey border.
(seems like the dreaded tde-auto-switch-off hits hoxs too :)

the quick load in Hoxs64 is abit like TDE-off in VICE and is known to be generally less compatible(for example emufuxxored files may fail). i prefer to use the normal load for maximum accuracy+max speed to save waiting.

Quote:
Vice 1.22/Vice 1.22.8beta, if FULL borders are used, show a grey area on the left (fli bug)

ive known this bug for a while albeit found it in a different production. i didnt notice it was related to the full/debug borders,i assumed they had fixed the borders-VIC emulation dependence in 1.22.8:)
2008-05-03 11:44
cba

Tilt Preview not working in VICE.

Intro works however in HOXS but crashing afterwards

This one would need to be tested on a real c64 to see
if it's working.

Niels
2008-05-04 17:23
assiduous
Account closed

Quote: Tilt Preview not working in VICE.

Intro works however in HOXS but crashing afterwards

This one would need to be tested on a real c64 to see
if it's working.

Niels

the real C64C crashes after the intro,like Hoxs64
2008-05-13 12:25
Rubi
Account closed

I can confirm the "Kotze inside" full border bug (well, I HAVE fixed some border related stuff in 1.22.8 but not enough as it seems).

And I can also confirm the "Bionic Commando Music" bug. I cannot even get a 50% (but a 0%) success rate with 1.22.8.

Now that Andreas Boose has retired from VICE maintenance, we are setting up a public SVN repository. Stay tuned for bug fixes...
2008-07-22 10:16
MacGyver
Account closed

Check my remarks for Megamix #01 (loaded samples).
Confirmations from users welcome, as well as comments from Emulator developpers.
2008-07-22 10:28
chatGPZ

since there are problems with the 1541u too.... it pretty much indicates that the loader/floppy stuff is what doesnt work :) (and yeah, its really broken in vice =P)
2008-07-22 11:01
assiduous
Account closed

ive checked Megamix #01.

i can confirm the bug in VICE

i was unable to reproduce the bug in CCS64 and Hoxs64. i listened to the samples from the start to the end (twice with Hoxs64)with no problem atall. can you please check again ?
2008-07-22 17:26
MacGyver
Account closed

Quote: since there are problems with the 1541u too.... it pretty much indicates that the loader/floppy stuff is what doesnt work :) (and yeah, its really broken in vice =P)

@ Groepaz:
Well, as described in my Remarks, the whole thing hangs on 1541U right at the intro, unlike in VICE where it hangs during the first Turn Disk.
I tried it like five times from 1541U, and ONCE the intro worked, but then the whole thing hang at the first Turn Disk, just like in VICE.
Anyhow, I will report the 1541U issue elsewhere, but for here let's stick to Emulators (Software Emulators on so called modern platforms that is) and for the VICE issue a note can be made of.
2008-07-22 17:42
MacGyver
Account closed

Quote: ive checked Megamix #01.

i can confirm the bug in VICE

i was unable to reproduce the bug in CCS64 and Hoxs64. i listened to the samples from the start to the end (twice with Hoxs64)with no problem atall. can you please check again ?

@ assiduous:
Thanks for actually checking it and confirming the VICE bug!

As for CCS64: I hardly used CCS64 in recent years but more when it was around V2.0 (long time ago). I don't think the Next Disk/Previous Disk feature was available back then, so I just tried to "turn disk" by pressing F9, selecting the backside and returning to the program, which did not work. Reading your reply, I just tried it again, this time with Next Disk/Previous Disk which worked fine. Thanks for the (indirect) hint ;-)

As for Hoxs: I am afraid I lost concentration today noon after trying this release like 3-5 times on 1541U, then on VICE/CCS64/Hoxs 64. While I believed the release worked fine on Hoxs 64, it failed at my test today noon as described. But obviously I made the following mistake when testing with Hoxs 64: at the second Turn Disk, I re-inserted Side B by mistake, instead of Side A.
I just tested again in Hoxs 64 twice, taking better care while virtually turning disk, and the whole digi demo ran just fine twice. Just to be sure, I tried a third time in Hoxs 64, this time I (re)inserted Side B intentionally at the second Turn Disk where I should have inserted Side A. And see: the demo behaved just like I described (samples playing too fast/too slow/jumping). So it was actually my personal mistake and not a Hoxs 64 issue. Big sorry for that!

I edited my release goof remarks accordingly.
2008-07-22 19:49
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
I edited my release goof remarks accordingly.

thanks for this and for extensive testing. most people just post "Teh Sihte doesnt wurk in VICE" and dont bother to check in the other emus let alone the real thing;)
2008-11-02 14:02
iAN CooG

Magic Risk/Rebels
Magic Risk

part "E.*" shows only a black screen in Vice 2.x
Works in Hoxs64 1.0.5.25
2008-11-04 07:44
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: Magic Risk/Rebels
Magic Risk

part "E.*" shows only a black screen in Vice 2.x
Works in Hoxs64 1.0.5.25

This is fixed in SVN trunk now. Thanks for the report.
2008-11-04 19:50
iAN CooG

Quote: This is fixed in SVN trunk now. Thanks for the report.

Thank you for the prompt fix. Rebuilt today and demo works now.
I've here some new patches to submit, testing now.
2008-11-04 19:55
iAN CooG

Quote:

- [vice] FlyingSharkPreview+-Ikari&FAC Flying Shark Preview +
"Another one here... When running it in Vice it goes into grey screen and gives cpu jam. If I run it on the real c64 and on ccs it works fine."

Doesn't run because there is a wrong JMP $0810 in the relocating code after
the intro, which should be JMP $080D.
(C:$045e) d 45e
.C:045e   A9 36      LDA #$36
.C:0460   85 01      STA $01
.C:0462   A0 B7      LDY #$B7
.C:0464   A2 00      LDX #$00
.C:0466   BD 00 18   LDA $1800,X
.C:0469   9D 00 08   STA $0800,X
.C:046c   E8         INX
.C:046d   D0 F7      BNE $0466
.C:046f   EE 68 04   INC $0468
.C:0472   EE 6B 04   INC $046B
.C:0475   88         DEY
.C:0476   D0 EC      BNE $0464
.C:0478   4C 10 08   JMP $0810   ; A here is $FF, fetched from $CEFF

(C:$0834) d 080d
.C:080d   78         SEI
.C:080e   A9 34      LDA #$34
.C:0810   85 01      STA $01    ;<- sets $01 = $ff when jumping here
.C:0812   A0 C4      LDY #$C4
.C:0814   B9 3C 08   LDA $083C,Y
.C:0817   99 F8 00   STA $00F8,Y

A quick workaround to make it work in any emu and real C64 without patching
the prg is to load it and, before running, issue this poke:
POKE 52991,0:RUN
Or simply fill the memory with 0, but the only important location is $CEFF.
This way at the end of relocation A would be 0, $01 will be set to all ram
and the depack will occour without problems.
CCS64 have reversed fill patterns, and it has $00 at $CEFF, that's why this
crack works there. A real C64, Vice and Hoxs have $ff there, unless you fill
the memory in a different way, of course.
2008-11-05 11:17
null
Account closed

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but here we go...

I was wondering when we can get some ACTUAL fullscreen support in vice under linux... since as it is now, it just 'zooms in'.. meaning that if I move my cursor around I can just navigate across my desktop...

if MPlayer and VLC can go fullscreen, why can't Vice? I know that vice's fullscreen mode changes res, but it would be nice if there was an option to just scale the image or something (with or without keeping aspect ratio).

oh, and for christs sake.. please add a "force true drive emulation" option... I don't see the whole point in NOT having it on anyways...

http://zomgwtfbbq.info
2008-11-05 12:13
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
I was wondering when we can get some ACTUAL fullscreen support in vice under linux... since as it is now, it just 'zooms in'.. meaning that if I move my cursor around I can just navigate across my desktop...

you have a better chance of having your feature request considered if you post it on sourceforge,this thread is for C64 Emulator Bugs ie.progs that dont work or work incorrectly in the emus.
2008-11-05 12:50
chatGPZ

there is a sdl port in the works (which will have a user interface vaguely similar to ccs) - that one will easily do "real" fullscreen :)

and the truedrive thing... it will be in 2.1 *afaik* :)
2009-01-03 14:51
Scout

Found a bug in the DTV emulator of WinVice 2.1.
I checked, and this bug was also in the VicePlus 1.10 version.

It's about the implementation of the $D03C DTV-VIC address.
If $D011 is set to #$1B and bits 5 (cpu bad line disable) and/or 6 (chunky enable) of $D03C are set, Vice should give garbage on the screen but instead it gives a normal picture.

Just found that out while testing Of je worst lust
2009-01-29 22:11
iAN CooG

[Vice 2.1/2.1.2]
These are all VIC-II issues in Vice found while I was ripping intros from these releases, they all work in Hoxs and CCS:

Lemon Blues +2PH/Avantgarde
Some "garbage" shown until logo appears.

Tank +/Triangle
Sprite logo in upper border flashes, should be stable.

Angle+/Topaz
Screen is instable
2009-01-29 22:27
assiduous
Account closed

Quote:
Tank +/Triangle

you mean the triangle logo ? it doesnt flash in Vice 2.1
2009-01-30 00:09
iAN CooG

Tank +/Triangle

you mean the triangle logo ? it doesnt flash in Vice 2.1

ahh, now I see why: I had the TFR 0.8 cart inserted.
Happens only with it actually, it's even enough issuing a KILL before launching the intro. I should always remember to try without that cart.
2009-02-10 01:00
iAN CooG

Holy SHit/Mocean
Second part bugs in Vice, sprites are displayed where they shouldn't.
2009-02-26 16:08
Rubi
Account closed

Quote: Holy SHit/Mocean
Second part bugs in Vice, sprites are displayed where they shouldn't.

This one is fixed in svn trunk. The two other bugs are under investigation. One deals with DEN bit, the other with "badline on last character".
2009-03-03 07:25
Rubi
Account closed

Angle+/Topaz is fixed now in the svn trunk.
2009-03-03 20:18
iAN CooG

Excellent, just tried the new build and I can confirm the fixes, thanks Rubi.
2009-03-09 21:29
Rubi
Account closed

Now even Lemon Blues +2PH/Avantgarde is fixed in the trunk.
2010-01-01 16:23
iAN CooG

[WinVice 2.2]
Big Vic Show
part "4*" shows at the right of the FLI logo a line of pixels that shouldn't be there. Works in Hoxs.
2010-01-01 21:48
JackAsser

Vice 2.2 x128 (c128)

* 1351 mouse emulation seems to ignore port selection and the upper two bits of $dc00.

* char rom visible to VIC only affects even VIC-banks. If char roms are enabled, these should be seen in all VIC-banks at offset 0x1000, unlike the C64.
2010-01-02 10:08
Adam

I have discovered some strange bugs in VICE22 which were not in the last one too.. a few not mentioned here..

1. Quick save-states (using alt+s)
1.1: I've noticed after reloading my save states which I was using made the program crash and exit after reloading it a couple of times..
1.2: If you are using the SFX Sound Expander (YM3812) and you reload a 'quick save state' then no sound comes out of the SFX cart.

I know of a few other bugs which I can't recall but will try to re-create and post here and email the VICE team.
I will try and become a beta tester for sure as I use this great program all the time =))

Apart from a few minor issues, this program is still the BEST emulator around by light years..

..Adam/Onslaught/SIDwave
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught
Alakran_64
CA$H/TRiAD
JackAsser/Booze Design
fox/bonzai
wil