Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Info > CSDb V2
2005-11-09 12:51
Perff
Administrator

CSDb V2

As some of you might have seen, there have been talked a bit about a CSDb V2.
I have also had this idea for some years now, because of some basic flaws in the originally database design of CSDb.
Now is the time to try to do something about it.

But we, the current CSDb staff, don't have the resources to do this, so we need your help!

Here is what we need:
1. Somewhere to host CSDb V2. The current hosting for CSDb is not very good, as some of you might agree on, and it would be very difficult for more people to develop on it, so a new hosting place is needed.
The requirements for such place are not to much. Talking about performance, CSDb can run on any normal computer today with no problem, and a few gig of disk space should be ok. The daily trafic sums up to about 40-50.000 hits and 300-400mb.
Some kind of CVS or similar to make it easy for multiple people to develop on it, is also required. (PS. We got no money! )
2. People that would help. First of all we need some willing developers - PHP & SQL. I don't think we should get too many - 2-3, perhaps 4 (plus myself :) ) We'll figure that out.
Also some design people, to make the site look kewl. :) And finally some people with deep knowledge of the scene so we are sure to get around every corner in the design phase.
3. Time and patience. :)

The plan is then to put togehter a CSDb V2 team (not to big, 6-8 people tops), and figure out exatcly how to make it. Of course we should look at the current CSDb, but I sugest we make everything from scratch.
Most importaint is the design phase. We must try to take all into account when designing it. I think this is the most importaint part of it all.
Then it gets coded, designed etc, and when it is ready for release, we transfer all the data from CSDb to CSDb V2. :)

Even though the CSDb team is the ones who should make it, it dosn't mean that the rest of you have nothing to say. Perhaps we could post our plans somewhere for all of you to comment on.

That is roughly how I see it.
Now lets have a nice little discussion. :)
2005-11-09 13:12
Nafcom

But you will take over the data from the current CSDb which people entered data into over the recent years, or?
2005-11-09 13:18
Perff
Administrator

as i wrote:
Quote:
and when it is ready for release, we transfer all the data from CSDb to CSDb V2.

So yes. :)
It's the idea that the general user one day goes to the current CSDb, and the next day to V2 without any data lost.
2005-11-09 13:45
Count Zero

Well, I wouldnt vote for that, since all the data entered here is wrong anyhow. :)

The hosting, resulting traffic and proper resources shouldn't be problem - you have been offered to move to the pokefinder.org servers whenever you want. :)

l8r

Count Zero/CyberpunX/SCS*TRC
2005-11-09 13:52
iopop

Dont know if we should answer here if we want to help. But Im willing to do php/postgres code.
2005-11-09 17:12
TDJ

And since I'm in the business of thinking up flexible systems anyway, I'd like to volunteer for the design phase.
2005-11-13 13:39
Perff
Administrator

I'm glad to se that there are people outthere that will help make this happen. Thanks. :)

But we could still need some with some expertice in designing webpages. (html etc.)
I'm not very good at making a website look fansy. :)

Anyone?
2005-11-13 14:45
T.M.R
Account closed

i'm tempted to offer for the design side, but only if it's a last resort 'cos A) there are far better than me around and B) i quite like the way this site looks at the mo! =-)
2005-11-13 17:25
Hein

Quote:
Well, I wouldnt vote for that, since all the data entered here is wrong anyhow. :)

The hosting, resulting traffic and proper resources shouldn't be problem - you have been offered to move to the pokefinder.org servers whenever you want. :)

l8r

Count Zero/CyberpunX/SCS*TRC

I think this scene is critical enough to change/point fingers whenever there is wrong data. It suprises me it's not the mess it could have been.

But if you're volunteering to add all 30000 something entries again, with correct data, even if it allready is correct data.
2005-11-13 17:43
Nafcom

Quote: I think this scene is critical enough to change/point fingers whenever there is wrong data. It suprises me it's not the mess it could have been.

But if you're volunteering to add all 30000 something entries again, with correct data, even if it allready is correct data.

Totally my opinion! :)
2005-11-13 21:53
Mirage

So it's settled then? count zero is going to do everything... that's pretty cool, because then we wouldn't need that CVS system for multiple people... he'll just be doing all the screwing-up and we (not me, ofcourse) will know where to point our fingers at :)

... 91 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Guests online: 135
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)
4 Edge of Disgrace  (9.6)