Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Info > CSDb V2
2005-11-09 12:51
Perff
Administrator

CSDb V2

As some of you might have seen, there have been talked a bit about a CSDb V2.
I have also had this idea for some years now, because of some basic flaws in the originally database design of CSDb.
Now is the time to try to do something about it.

But we, the current CSDb staff, don't have the resources to do this, so we need your help!

Here is what we need:
1. Somewhere to host CSDb V2. The current hosting for CSDb is not very good, as some of you might agree on, and it would be very difficult for more people to develop on it, so a new hosting place is needed.
The requirements for such place are not to much. Talking about performance, CSDb can run on any normal computer today with no problem, and a few gig of disk space should be ok. The daily trafic sums up to about 40-50.000 hits and 300-400mb.
Some kind of CVS or similar to make it easy for multiple people to develop on it, is also required. (PS. We got no money! )
2. People that would help. First of all we need some willing developers - PHP & SQL. I don't think we should get too many - 2-3, perhaps 4 (plus myself :) ) We'll figure that out.
Also some design people, to make the site look kewl. :) And finally some people with deep knowledge of the scene so we are sure to get around every corner in the design phase.
3. Time and patience. :)

The plan is then to put togehter a CSDb V2 team (not to big, 6-8 people tops), and figure out exatcly how to make it. Of course we should look at the current CSDb, but I sugest we make everything from scratch.
Most importaint is the design phase. We must try to take all into account when designing it. I think this is the most importaint part of it all.
Then it gets coded, designed etc, and when it is ready for release, we transfer all the data from CSDb to CSDb V2. :)

Even though the CSDb team is the ones who should make it, it dosn't mean that the rest of you have nothing to say. Perhaps we could post our plans somewhere for all of you to comment on.

That is roughly how I see it.
Now lets have a nice little discussion. :)

... 91 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2005-11-15 12:13
Oswald

belongs here if we want csdb v2 have transparent votes. If csdb v2 will be reality, another voting should be done about this.

To add to the topic, I think that the user interface here is not very friendly. The design is ok. The look and feel overall is good. But when it comes to doing something, adding a product, searching, etc I found that I have always look through the whole screen in the search of where to click. What I try to articulate here is that the gui is everything but NOT intuitive. It feels for me that every button, info/text is on the wrong place.

For ppl that already added 100 entrys this is probably not an issue, but guess one needs quite some excersize to use the system from "instinct" without stopping and let your eyes go around where to click next.

(example: I had no idea for years (months? when was this added?) that what the "PM" button does here in the forums, does it really worth the -317 bytes not to have it say "Send Private Message"? we are a bit too much on the purist side)
2005-11-15 13:24
T.M.R
Account closed

Well, the acronym PM is in fairly common use and "Send private message" would be quite a large button... perhaps "Send PM" would be a compromise and an alt tag that pops up the full "Send private message" maybe...? i do agree that the system could be more intuitive and perhaps easier to add to, but that's not my department as such. =-)

Oh... can we have a preview button for forum posts too please?

i'm absolutely for transparent votes - and as Oswald said, if you don't stand by what you voted, it wasn't worth doing.
2005-11-15 14:01
TDJ

It's not that I don't agree with Oswald about the transparant voting - I just think it doesn't belong in this thread. First concentrate on the big picture, then on the details. And transparancy of votes is a detail, nothing more.
2005-11-15 15:31
Nafcom

Quote: It's not that I don't agree with Oswald about the transparant voting - I just think it doesn't belong in this thread. First concentrate on the big picture, then on the details. And transparancy of votes is a detail, nothing more.

I totally agree with you again, stunning! =)
2005-11-15 18:00
Oswald

how about being ontopic, instead spamming the forum with these "dont be offtopic" "I agree" stuff ?

some more thoughts of the gui:

on the userpage:

- add information
- communicate

should not be there, instead they should be at the top tab amongst "userpage" "browse" etc... every now and then I have to think for long seconds until I realize that I can add a new entry or send a PM through the userpage. The userpage should only contain stuff related to the user.

browse page:

this one should be shown as an example on how to NOT to design a gui.

Takes a minute or two to realize what does what. An unexperianced pc user would be lost here forever.

The 4 browse category should be strictly displaced and separated, with their sub options. The options instead of icons should have a text describing what does that (tooltips help here, but you'll never learn which icon is for what). Even the term "browse" is confusing why not "search" ?

the forums:

this part is okay. only a few issues:

- why isnt the start new topic at the top of the page ? who wants to scroll all the way down to find it ?

- the small "my settings" link should be moved to the userpage as "forum settings" or something.

- what does the first column do in the topic list ? its all empty.

btw it would be nice to have a random logo like pouet... it would be cool if only c64 format would be accepted.

well this is just my 2 cents. As I have 0 experience in designing the inner roots of such a site, I just pointed out the first few things that came to my mind about the current design.
2005-11-15 19:07
TDJ

Oswald, how about actually trying to understand what it means to build a web application, instead of bothering us with those pesky details?

By the way, before you even started, I already said:
Quote:
3. You shouldn't just change the way things look, the most important is the user interface. Make it easier for people to add stuff etc. like Hein proposed. Interaction Design is a must these days!

See? Requirements on a HIGH level. Software Development 101.
2005-11-15 19:28
Oswald

The Dark Judge: your personality is just as overgrown and childish as your handle.

Understanding a web application and pointing out bugs in an existing gui is not the same thing. or you think some1 not understanding the inner workings of something cannot recognize its bugs ?

"By the way, before you even started, I already said:"

you're so coool coz u posted sooner. are you serious?

"3. You shouldn't just change the way things look, the most important is the user interface. Make it easier for people to add stuff etc. like Hein proposed. Interaction Design is a must these days!"

am I not suggesting the same ? make easyer to use csdb.

Thats it about my user feedback here.

cya.
2005-11-15 20:24
Hein

dont drag me into your arguments..

oh, I stepped in. why not sabotage other platform scenes to get over this 1 mhz trauma?
2005-11-15 23:02
Matt

pah.
I'm really happy with the way the database like it is now.
but u r planning to make a v2 anyway, so don't make it too perfect bcos lot's of girls over here wouldn't know what to complain about anymore.
2005-11-16 13:00
Moloch

Haven't read the entire thread... but I'm hoping that BBS entries will be included with v2... old thread, lots of people agreed it would be a nice addition.

Putting them in the trivia section now.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Yogibear/Protovision
anonym/padua
radius75
Drees
HBH.ZTH/Abnormal
Guests online: 63