Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Testers requested for the Gtk3VICE-win64 build
2018-07-05 20:28
Compyx

Testers requested for the Gtk3VICE-win64 build

VICE-team would like to request people to test an experimental build of VICE on Windows x64 using the new Gtk3 UI. We've added quite some new stuff and fixed a lot of bugs. So we're curious how the Win64 port behaves now.

Some things we added is support for directinput and directsound, so the UI should now present the 'dx' sound driver along with the old 'wmm' driver. The joystick support should also be much better, with plugged-in controllers being recognized and listed in the joystick settings. Just remember that VICE does not yet support plug'n'play, so plug in that controller before starting VICE.

The file is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/files/experimental%20..

It was built with debugging enabled, meaning it might be a little slower than a stripped build, and it outputs a lot of stuff on the terminal which might be useful for us to track down bugs.

Bugs can be reported here: https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/bugs/

Or you could just bitch here :)

... 18 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2018-07-08 19:25
chatGPZ

indeed, you dont need explicit support for it. it will only work on specific setups too. however, unless someone steps up to become the windows maintainer, not much will happen.
2018-07-09 16:33
oziphantom

can it even be built on Windows?
2018-07-09 19:13
chatGPZ

sure
2018-07-10 09:20
oziphantom

no that is sullying windows with msys2 and leading yourself to a world of pain. I mean can it be built on windows windows, not here is a hack of linux that will corrupt everything in windows so you can build something that is linuxy. VS studio sln windows, so you have a debugger, edit and continue and a decent code editor.
2018-07-10 12:36
Raistlin

I think that's what Groepaz is saying, though, for a working Windows build to be maintained in the ideal way, it needs someone to step up, do the initial work and take ownership of that?

I'm interested in this myself - but am not convinced that I'd have the time to do it...
2018-07-10 12:54
oziphantom

the previous version needed linux only tools, yacc/bison and whatever ones uses to make texi files. They did put precompiled versions into svn for a long time so once could built it mostly on windows.
2018-07-10 16:25
chatGPZ

wow. good nonsense there.

but yeah, if that is too much effort for you, then no dice for you.

Quote:
I think that's what Groepaz is saying, though, for a working Windows build to be maintained in the ideal way, it needs someone to step up, do the initial work and take ownership of that?

no. we _had_ all that msvc jizz in the source before.

>10 years of us going through the pain of maintaining a completely seperate build process for windows msvc didnt help either for that matter. it turned out noone was using it anyway, hence it was removed (saving us a lot of maintainance) just like the win32 UI that noone was willing to fix.

it does take someone who actually knows what he is doing, who is willing to put significant work into it, and whose primary concern isnt that he has to install a couple development tools and that he maybe cant do clickediclickedi in msvc. those are mostly good signs that he most likely wouldnt be able to help anyway :) (and you _can_ actually set up msvc to use gcc for compilation, btw)
2018-07-11 09:23
oziphantom

its not effort, its just really screws up your windows. I've used msys a lot before, it was needed for Playstation development, lots of battle scars from it.
Its not a matter of hitting build, that is easy enough to do from a command line, its debugging that is the main issue. Most of the work of "maintaining" is debugging something on windows, that is where having VS and PDB makes a massive difference. If not debugging integrating some Windows specific SDK to do 'a thing' to which VS really helps again.

The MSVC build of VICE was used ;)it a pity that one is stuck on such an ancient version. Now I have to modify a modern version on a linux VM, pump through into it with remote montior and debug at a snails pace.
2018-07-11 11:47
chatGPZ

Quote:
its not effort, its just really screws up your windows.

more good nonsense \o/

(ps1 stuff used cygwin, not msys, btw)

cant debug your gcc builds? well - chances are your debugger of choice just sucks. (or your google skills for that matter, its all possible in VS)
2018-07-11 12:43
oziphantom

You can install plugins and I think the new linux workflow gives you remote GDB access. But I've not found anything that allows the VS Debugger to read DWARF data/nor to get MSYS gcc to export PDB, if you have a link for do tell.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
ΛΛdZ
visionvortex
Krill/Plush
Båtsman/Y-front
JEZ
Guests online: 143