Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Testers requested for the Gtk3VICE-win64 build
2018-07-05 20:28
Compyx

Testers requested for the Gtk3VICE-win64 build

VICE-team would like to request people to test an experimental build of VICE on Windows x64 using the new Gtk3 UI. We've added quite some new stuff and fixed a lot of bugs. So we're curious how the Win64 port behaves now.

Some things we added is support for directinput and directsound, so the UI should now present the 'dx' sound driver along with the old 'wmm' driver. The joystick support should also be much better, with plugged-in controllers being recognized and listed in the joystick settings. Just remember that VICE does not yet support plug'n'play, so plug in that controller before starting VICE.

The file is here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/files/experimental%20..

It was built with debugging enabled, meaning it might be a little slower than a stripped build, and it outputs a lot of stuff on the terminal which might be useful for us to track down bugs.

Bugs can be reported here: https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/bugs/

Or you could just bitch here :)
2018-07-05 21:50
Raistlin

I had a play with this earlier and have to say it’s very, very nice. Fantastic to see all the settings rolled into one nice window :-)

Personally I don’t like that Alt-M now does the mouse-capture switch... that and Alt-W are the most frequent shortcuts I use so it’s going to take me a while to get used to (Alt-H now replaces Alt-M).

It does seem like a much improved build though - two thumbs up from me :-)
2018-07-05 22:54
Compyx

Thanks.

The swapping of some hotkeys is because I based them on the old Linux-Gtk2 port, which was what I've always used. Keeps the UI consistent, though might cause a few surprises for Windows or OSX users.

Customized hotkeys (like in the SDL port) is something we have planned but is very low on the TODO list.
2018-07-07 08:08
Menace

First of all, it's a welcome facelift, so good work! :)

It might not be a bug, but there are a few files it seemingly does not find, based on the debug output. I "installed" the file you provided by simply unpacking it all into a directory, and running from there. This is under Windows 10 with all the latest updates installed. I see these in the log - perhaps they need to be packaged, and it was forgotten at some point;

(x64.exe:12144): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:00:21.249: Could not find the icon 'missing-image-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(x64.exe:12144): Pango-WARNING **: 08:00:21.257: couldn't load font "CBM Not-Rotated 10", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 10", expect ugly output.
2018-07-07 13:39
Scan

It looks very neat, I like the settings interface, even though I felt a bit puzzled at first where I could select the VIC II chip and SID chip. Also, at first I overlooked the autoload button and was wondering why Alt-A didn't work as expected. I will get used to this soon enough, so no problems with that.

Only thing I noticed which is not there (and this might simply haven't been implemented yet or is a deliberate choice no to implement it) is the option to use Dolphin Dos using a virtual parallel cable.
2018-07-07 16:46
Compyx

Quoting Menace
First of all, it's a welcome facelift, so good work! :)

It might not be a bug, but there are a few files it seemingly does not find, based on the debug output. I "installed" the file you provided by simply unpacking it all into a directory, and running from there. This is under Windows 10 with all the latest updates installed. I see these in the log - perhaps they need to be packaged, and it was forgotten at some point;

(x64.exe:12144): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:00:21.249: Could not find the icon 'missing-image-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

Hmmm, haven't seen that warning before, I'll check our build script.

Quote:
(x64.exe:12144): Pango-WARNING **: 08:00:21.257: couldn't load font "CBM Not-Rotated 10", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 10", expect ugly output.

We're still working on using a custom font without installing it, but that currently only works on Linux.
Right now, the CBM font needs to be installed manually. And I just noticed the font isn't in the zip file :) Will have to work on that.
You could download the VICE 3.2 source tarball and extract "CBM.ttf" from data/fonts/ and then double click the font file, that should install it. The old WinVICE zips also have the font in the fonts/ dir.

Thanks for testing.
2018-07-08 12:37
Grue

Switching to fullscreen works ok, but getting back with alt+d is somehow borked or very, very slow.

Also I hate that vice seems to be only emulator with horrible screen update, scrollers are super jerky compared to almost any emulator around. I have heard its ok with linux but this windows port is absolutely horrendous.

Have you heard about freesync/gsync to get smooth scrolling on modern hardware?
2018-07-08 16:27
chatGPZ

"Have you heard about freesync/gsync to get smooth scrolling on modern hardware?"

one day, when someone actually steps up to help with the windows port, you might want to remind him about it. (it wont help unless a bunch of other things have been fixed though.)
2018-07-08 19:17
oziphantom

Quote: Switching to fullscreen works ok, but getting back with alt+d is somehow borked or very, very slow.

Also I hate that vice seems to be only emulator with horrible screen update, scrollers are super jerky compared to almost any emulator around. I have heard its ok with linux but this windows port is absolutely horrendous.

Have you heard about freesync/gsync to get smooth scrolling on modern hardware?

The "old" WinVICE should support freesync/gsync etc as it uses DirectX and you can enable it in settings. Not done it my self but people on lemon reported it working.
2018-07-08 19:25
chatGPZ

indeed, you dont need explicit support for it. it will only work on specific setups too. however, unless someone steps up to become the windows maintainer, not much will happen.
2018-07-09 16:33
oziphantom

can it even be built on Windows?

... 18 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
megasoftargentina
CA$H/TRiAD
Viti/Hokuto Force
Rick/F4CG
moraff/Panic/Gorbat ..
Exile/Anubis