Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Rolling Thunder Remake
2020-12-12 23:44
Eric Dobek
Account closed

Rolling Thunder Remake

So, does anyone remember playing the abysmal Tiertex port of Rolling Thunder for the C64? Considering how I used to play the original arcade version on the PSP and loved it to death-despite me dying all the time-I am interested in doing a remake of it. One small problem.... I have no clue on how to code for the C64. If someone is interested in doing the coding and graphics, I can do the music. I think it's only fair that one of Namco's greatest games gets one of the best C64 ports. If anyone is interested in helping with this project, feel free to PM me.
2020-12-13 00:56
iAN CooG

>I am interested in doing a remake of it.
>One small problem.... I have no clue on how to code for the C64

Don't even start this lame shit, this is not lemon64 :D
"I have great ideas, who will slavecode it for me?"
Come on.
2020-12-13 05:54
Eric Dobek
Account closed

iAN,

Thanks for replying, but that kind of reply is not very welcoming to anyone that sees this post. For someone who is an official member of the HVSC crew, your reply is not very professional. Furthermore, the whole idea of "slavecoding" is pretty ridiculous, as I really don't know how to code, and it was not an issue until you made it one. "Slavecoding" is also just really stupid and doesn't work out that well, as I can't really force anyone to work on this, and if I did, it wouldn't be very mature and moral. As you've probably seen me post a few good times, I don't have a C64 on hand, but would love to get one to learn how to code myself. This is why I'm asking for someone to help, and if they join the project but lose interest sometime afterwards, I will be ok with what they decide to do with the project, and it is completely up to the community with whether they will help with this or not. I wish I could code so that I wouldn't have to ask for help like this, but unfortunately these are the circumstances, considering I just joined this community a few months ago, and probably would have very basic coding skills at most. Please understand that I don't have the resources needed, and want to make a contribution to the C64 community as a whole. Please be respectful, and let's see what the community decides to do from here.
2020-12-13 07:48
Jazzcat

I just gave Ian a beer, all is good now :)
2020-12-13 13:47
Jupp3

This "would love to get one to learn how to code myself" bit already made it sound much better, too bad it wasn't in the first post. Usually any slavecoding requests (not talking about C64 scene exclusively) have a very strong "I don't want to learn any of this, as you will do it all for me for free anyway."
2020-12-13 14:52
Raistlin

“ I don't have a C64 on hand, but would love to get one to learn how to code myself.”

I do most of my coding on PC, using VICE and HOXS to test with ... and then test on a real C64 when I feel like it.

Point is.. you really don’t need a C64 to learn how to program one ;-) .. in fact, it’s easier not to - just do your programming using the plethora of tools to help with that on PC.
2020-12-13 17:47
balsi
Account closed

why not ask Orange Pixel? one of the most friendly coders doing an iphone or android clone!
2020-12-13 18:43
Krill

Quoting balsi
why not ask Orange Pixel? one of the most friendly coders doing an iphone or android clone!
Doesn't seem to have any actual 8-bit games on his track record.
2020-12-14 11:46
Count Zero

Will slavecode for money - I know all the mnemonics and can spell them correctly. Can even turn obscure text files into binaries with the help of something called "assembler".

You just need to tell me the order of mnemonics and values to use then.
2020-12-14 14:12
cadaver

If you really want a large project like that done, ask yourself if you have enough motivation to learn to do everything yourself and see it through to finish, by yourself.

Any other way is likely not going to cut it. If someone else had the specific motivation it would already have happened (see Super Mario Bros, Prince of Persia, Eye of the Beholder).

Rolling Thunder is not as universally loved as those three, so in general it makes less sense to port / remake, and your specific motivation becomes even more important.

But when/if you had the skill to do the port, you might as well spend your time to make a good original game instead :)
2020-12-14 15:51
Jupp3

As others have pointed out, your idea is rather "big", especially for the first project, especially for one, you would want to make "perfect".

So... For something more simple to start with, may I recommend https://itch.io/jam/the-c64-cassette-50-charity-competition

... 4 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
mutetus/Ald ^ Ons
Guests online: 66
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)
3 Coma Light 13  (9.7)