Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > Looking for more disks/d64s?
2007-09-07 10:56
Mason

Looking for more disks/d64s?

Been a while since we asked around for more disks and d64s, so I think I would repeat the request.

We are looking for more disks or contact with people who already transferred their disks. We are trying to find more stuff from any kind of releases (cracks, demos, mags etc.). Our main goal is to preserve all the releases from the past.

We can also help transferring the disks if you got them yourself. We borrow the disks, transfer them and return them to the owner with a digital copy (on cd/dvd)

Also if you are in contact with other people who got disks with stuff, then we would be happy if you could help us getting in contact with them.

Contact cba, acidchild, mdz or me if you can help.

... 18 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2007-09-12 19:22
The Phantom
Account closed

I made a "magnet" torrent of the collection. 1.53gb total filesize. If someone wants me to upload it somewhere let me know via email or even post it here (i'll be back in 4 more hours).
Or you can use the "magnet", paste it in yer browser and open the torrent to download the file from me.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:LWXVMN4WIDYCFAVZWRCNSV5YGO5UHKBA
2007-09-12 23:40
chancer

Quote: Thanks for the great uploads here. Releases from the UK groups are hard to find.

Many of the groups lived their own life in UK and didnt have much contact outside UK.

It's not even that, I'll give you a prime example..

Lethargy by cosine.. help was given from moren & derbyram to try to get the demo to a lot of people, both cool guys who I counted as good friends and helped me out even though they didn't have to. (I think both get a mention in the demo)

It was nice though knowing people from many countries, regardless.

If you didn't have a modem it was tricky to be connected with people.There are a lot of demos and things I really need to sort out for here, so be patient =).
2007-09-13 03:26
Mason

Thats true, but alot of the UK cracking groups in the 80s didnt care for anything outside UK except the BBS' where they had to put their first releases.
2007-09-13 14:55
chancer

yep mason, but part of that was due to the UK having a good amount of software houses. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe because they were uk based, they had a slight time advantage over release dates of things as apposed to europe.

some of it was group politics also, I'd send something to someone and ofcouse they would rather send on disks with their own groups contents,which maybe not as new.

A lot of it though was, well the majority of games were coming from either the UK or US though, yes companies like rainbow arts etc were releasing things, just that a lot of the major things were either coming from UK or the US. Or maybe thats UK bias for ya, I dunno.

2007-09-13 15:03
Rough
Account closed

a sidenote: SEUCK games releasing was always considered lame, maybe there's a small plus point for those who got released as budget commercial games. (yes, such things exist)
2007-09-13 20:17
Mason

Quote: yep mason, but part of that was due to the UK having a good amount of software houses. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe because they were uk based, they had a slight time advantage over release dates of things as apposed to europe.

some of it was group politics also, I'd send something to someone and ofcouse they would rather send on disks with their own groups contents,which maybe not as new.

A lot of it though was, well the majority of games were coming from either the UK or US though, yes companies like rainbow arts etc were releasing things, just that a lot of the major things were either coming from UK or the US. Or maybe thats UK bias for ya, I dunno.

Yeah most software house were in UK. There was a few ones in Germany, Denmark etc., but the leading place for games were UK.

Also the one about sending out own stuff is right too, but there were groups who only had a few contacts outside UK.
2007-09-23 09:03
maestro

i'd just like to add to this topic

if anyone in the uk or anywhere else would like me to transferr there disk collection i'd be happy to do that and like mason said above......you get your disks back with the digital copies on cd/dvd depending on how large the collection is

cheers

maestro
2007-11-14 07:29
DemongerX
Account closed

I'm not sure if this link will help or not, but last year prior to ECCC in Chicago, I made .d64 images of my demo collection and gave out cd's with it at the expo. The majority of the demos were ntsc ones, with many early ones that I'd d/l'ed from US Demo boards in the 80's and 90's, and many PAL demos/mags towards the end of the catalogging of disks. Elwix was glad to get them as he has been trying to catalog the NTSC demos from various groups over the last couple of years, and many of the demos were on my disks just as I'd delynxed/unzipped/unlibraried them from days gone by, his focus on these is to keep the names intact as much as possible. He posted them on Drivenonline.org. Here's the link(hopefully it works fine, if not let me know and I'll try to send them along here.)

http://drivenonline.org/archive/cbm/collections/demonger/
2007-11-14 08:37
Mason

Thanks for posting. We can use all productions done on the C64, no matter if its PAL, NTSC or works on both systems.

Point is to preserve everything thats possible.

Also Im happy to see some US sceners with transferred stuff. Alot of stuff is needed from the NTSC scene - demos, tools, cracks (without euro imports) and imports.
2007-11-14 12:41
mendrake

I've tons of real old school stuff, such as Defender, Gyroscope, Moonshuttle etc. from the early 80's. Only problem to solve here is, they got ages ago packed together on CDs in 1581 format, means .d81 extension. No problem for any emulator to dissolve the file and view it, but I haven't got a clue, how to depack them to single files again.

As I can't get hold of the mate who did the files a couple years ago, I can only offer these files on our FTP Site, The Dragon's Tower (ftp://ftp.acrise.net) with direct link:
ftp://ftp.acrise.net/pub/c64/request/

Regards, mendrake
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Dymo/G★P
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
DanPhillips
Guests online: 307
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)