Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user maak ! (Registered 2024-04-18) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > Requests > PDS (Programmers Development System) software
2010-03-26 09:22
Morpheus

PDS (Programmers Development System) software

Hello guys!

Does anyone have a working copy of the ancient PDS (Programmers Development System) software to share?

... 24 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2010-03-28 15:42
tlr

Now you got me curious, can someone upload this tool somewhere for inspection?
2010-03-28 18:21
sailor

Is this the very same card we are talking about:

http://www.tradera.com/PSX-COMM-LINK-CARD-for-Golden-finger-Gam..

(looks indeed like a standard printer port)

@Ninja: Hah, good point :D.. On that subject, i think the reason it has not been studied before is the lack of software/hardware and/or need for it actually being reversed. It is perhaps not even known to exist to all people.

/Jani
2010-03-28 20:11
Moloch

The person Morpheus and myself are referring to has the ISA card, etc. He even went so far as to get an older machine setup and ready to use. He simply needs the software, which is exactly the reason this thread was started. Why is the software being held for ransom? Please post for download somewhere.

Crimson Twilight Dev Updates [C64 CRPG]
2010-03-28 20:19
Moloch

From his post on C64Dev.com forums:

Quote:

My interest in this forum stems from the fact that I used to write C64 games professionally 20-25 years ago and I would love to get back into it as a hobby. To that end I have been trying to put my old development system back together again. I used a PDS system (Programmers Development System) which, as you may know, links a PC to a C64/128 via a proprietary 8-bit ISA card and an interface cable connecting the card to the C64's User Port.

All I had left of this system was the ISA card, the interface cable, the PDS manuals and a bunch of disks containing the PDS software. All my other C64 kit I had sold off years before. First I had to get a PC old enough to use the PDS hardware (i.e. with an ISA slot and an CGA/EGA display) fortunately I managed to acquire an old Amstrad PC1640 with an 8086 CPU, 640k RAM, 20MB hard drive, 5.25" floppy drive and a monochrome EGA display. Despite being absolutely filthy it was in excellent working condition which was amazing.

On the Commodore hardware side I have just bought a C128D (which is what I used to use back in the day) and an extra 1570 drive. I have a Commodore 1701 monitor which I use with my Atari 800 but I'm looking for one of the later Commodore monitors which will take advantage of the C128's RGB output. After also acquiring copies of my favorite books - the "Commodore 64 Programmers Reference Guide" and "Programming the Commodore 64" (by Rae West) I am pretty much set to go, apart from one thing...

Unfortunately, after 20 years of storage my PDS disks have turned into plates of oxide pate' and are totally unreadable. So I will end my first post with a plea for help, if you have or know anyone who has copies of the PDS software (consisting of the 6502 assembler/editor that runs on the PC and the PDS downloader which is loaded into the C64/128 and handles the I/O with the PDS), I would be very grateful if they could send me copies (I will of course pay for any expenses incurred).

2010-03-28 20:38
sailor

I uploaded the "PDS-stuff" here http://www.sendspace.com/file/5wm1rt

@Moloch; Is it possible for the person having the PDS system to document the cable, scan the manuals and copy his version of the PDS software and put it somewhere online?

(I think the cable would be most interesting, i assume it can be reversed but seems easier to just check the wires)

Regards
Jani
2010-03-28 21:48
Moloch

I'm guessing that is all possible, he has registered an account here and waits to be verified.

Thank you for posting the PDS download!

2010-03-28 21:50
Moloch

Quote:

WOO HOO!!!!
Just checked out that csdb thread again and SAILOR has posted the files! Yes! Yes! Yes! (sorry but I am rather happy with this turn of events). I've downloaded them but I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I will let you know what happens when I do.

As I mentioned, I am still waiting for my csdb clearance so if someone (Moloch, maybe?) could post a thank you to Sailor on my behalf I would be very grateful.

Also, let them know that I intend to create a PDS resource page (as I mentioned previously) which will include all the information requested (manual scans, details of cables, pictures of the PDS bits etc.) and more.

Once again, a big thank you to Moloch, Morpheus and Sailor.

2010-03-28 22:51
sailor

Quoting Moloch
Quote:

As I mentioned, I am still waiting for my csdb clearance so if someone (Moloch, maybe?) could post a thank you to Sailor on my behalf I would be very grateful.

Also, let them know that I intend to create a PDS resource page (as I mentioned previously) which will include all the information requested (manual scans, details of cables, pictures of the PDS bits etc.) and more.

You are most welcome :)

A PDS resource page would be just great! Would be very interesting reading, especially when someone who has worked with the system has written it :)

I compiled the C64 downloaders from the .zip since i understood it was sort of an issue in this case. I compiled them with "ASM6502.EXE" (that is also found in the zip).
pds_crossdevkit_unpacked\C64.DL0
pds_crossdevkit_unpacked\C64.DL1
pds_crossdevkit_unpacked\C64.DL2
pds_crossdevkit_unpacked\MAKEC64.DL1

C64.DL0 and C64.DL1 compiled without problems.

I had to do some tweaking in C64.DL2 and MAKEC64.DL1. I replaced "&" with "$" and i assume that there was a typo in
MAKEC64.DL1:

LDX #>FILENAME
LDY #<FILENAME
LDA #MESSAGE-FILENAME
JSR &FFBD

Should most likely be LDX #< and LDY #>... I did some other changes aswell, then i verified the output against "c64_downloader.prg" (in the zip)... and it was identical.

ASM6502 does not include the loadaddress, so you need to insert two bytes as the loading address.

The compiled downloaders(with modified sources) can be found here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/nrwzjo.

Please note that i haven't been able to test the downloaders, but i hope this is some sort of help on the way.

Regards
Jani

2010-03-29 08:34
Morpheus

It's great to see threads turn into something this good. Looking forward to read more about the system as soon as Jason gets the stuff out there. And Sailor, you're getting a mail from me concerning a veeeery secret cooperation. ;)

Thanks for all the help guys!!
2010-03-29 09:23
Oswald

"A PDS resource page would be just great! "

take it to codebase if someone1 is up to it :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught
Jetboy/Elysium
redcrab/G★P
Acidchild/Padua
krissz