Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > C64 Double Screen Compo 2013
2013-01-13 17:50
v3to

C64 Double Screen Compo 2013

Remember this little graphic competition with double-sized pictures that happened two years ago? Think it is a good time for a second attempt. Keeping some requests in mind the rules changed in some cases. More freedom for the graphic artist and coders, but also - as requested - more transparency in case of using references and copies. And - for the first time - a theme.

Compo organizers are Enthusi and I (Veto) - for any questions please contact us per PM. The compo itself will be featured by c64pixels.com and Artcity. Deadline is March 31st 2013.

Okay then, people. Time to start. Here are the rules...

GRAPHICIANS

Theme is ‘water’ in a wide range of definition: Maybe as part of a landscape, something surreal, raindrops, animals swimming in a river, arrangements with geometric bodies, a person drinking something, a liquid sculpture, a deep sea motive,...
Water doesn’t need to be the only subject but should be part of picture front and shown in pure liquid state.

You can use any graphic mode you like, but please note the used format with your entry. In case of a custom format (eg mixing up FLI with custom sprites), please add a short description.

Wired stuff and compositions are allowed, but you have to accept that all originals will be shown to public with your entry, including an 1:1 check as animated gif. You are asked to provide any originals along with your entry submission.

Each entry must be executable with a mere RUN after load. The overall size of the gfx has to be “two screens”, in whatever arrangement. Scrolling is desired. Interlace does not count etc. You get the idea.

CODERS

This competition is for graphic artists but it is also some kind of ‘mini-demo-compo’.
Feel free to play with the idea of using a two screen size gfx. Add effects, create an graphics editor, do interactive stuff.

Minimum requirement is a picture scroller. So please include an option to disable all effects, animations and music (eg using space bar). Viewers should be able to watch the picture without diversity.

SUBMISSIONS

Please send your entry to following email address.
veto [@] c64pixels.spamsuxx.com
And - please - do not submit your entry on csdb before deadline.All pictures are shown on Artcity and the c64pixels.com member’s area during the compo. The d64-files will be released right after deadline.

VOTING AND PRICES

Like the first Double Screen Compo the best graphic will be chosen by email votes. More details will follow after deadline. The winner will get a personal lasered glass trophy (check out the photo).

For coders there is an award for ‘most interesting approach’ selected by the c64pixels staff plus one guest juror. Which means this price is not just connected to technical excellence. Great design ideas might be a reason, something really useful or whatever innovative. Remember that online charmode editor by Digger he created for his entry the last DSC :) Prize is also a lasered glass trophy.

... 86 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-04-30 23:27
Sixx

Well deserved Yazoo, even tho Leons pic was massive as well. Next year PAL is out for revenge, thanks to all who participated, lots of nice entries!
2013-04-30 23:56
Sphinx

argh...damn, next time...this time i couldn´ t beat you....but next time, guys, hehe...i hope you wrap up warm the next competition :-D *joking*
naaahhh...congrats for all the participants for their excellent results in the competition. there were really great entries and it was really hard to find the only one who will be the winner... i hope, the next gfx compo will be on the same high level as the double screen compo, it makes really fun to be part of it... :-)
2013-05-01 00:51
Yazoo

btw the pic still is called "a flock of seagulls" :-) its important, because it was ment as a playing with words (a flock of seagulls by yazoo - it contains two bandnames from the 80s... ah well. probably its not that important)
the "a" is part of the pictures name.

still i am excited that i have won this competition for the 2nd time. thanks to everyone who liked the picture
2013-05-02 06:08
Oswald

congrats to yazoo, and to everyone for the nice effort. well done everyone.
2013-05-02 12:09
CreaMD

Loved Leon's piccy the most.
Very well organised compo. Thumbs up!
2013-05-02 13:03
Cruzer

Gratz to the winners! The results seem pretty fair, and I'm glad I got in the top 10 :)
2013-05-02 18:26
Burglar

\o/ hooray for yazoo! \o/

I found it very hard it to rate the top 5, quite a few are *very* close in results for a reason ;)

So, overall, super cool compo with many quality entries and perfect organization. I really liked the compo page and the oregano/workstage display.
2013-05-02 19:08
xIII

Congrats Yazoo!

I'm also very happy with my 6th place :) in my first ever gfx compo !
2013-05-06 21:18
v3to

okay, one thing was still missing: the price for the most interesting approach about code.

this part relied on a jury, in names enthusi, sander and i. as you can see from the persons involved code quality is not the one and only discipline. all entries have been also checked in matter of presentation and usability. does extra effort a favour for the picture itself or other coders and graphicians?

to sum it up: there is no entry that is perfect in all categories and depending the point of view one or another work was superior (or even the opposite). these were the three final suggestions for the price...

- clarence/chorus for the impressive soft-scrolling sideborder routine and the demo-ish approach of the viewer.
- ready./level64 for his smooth koala viewer with extra features. plus releasing the source code incl makefile for executables.
- bitbreaker/oxyron/nuance/arsenic and cruzer/camelot for their open source spirit. both released scroller routines on codebase64 which have been used by many entries in this competition.

and the winner in 2013 is: ready. of level64

congratulations \o/

sidenote:
the whole compo was a real pleasure, with so much quality work. but in the end it is time to think about what might be improved for the next competition (which should happen in 2015). and the major subject is "creative presentation to support the graphics".
so as first consequence i promise that there will be no more "mute-the-tune-rule" anymore.
2013-05-07 07:09
spider-j

Quoting Veto

and the winner in 2013 is: ready. of level64

congrats ready.!
good choice from the jury. a deserved win.
haven't looked in the code, but it was especially the most convenient displayer in the compo for me from the user-perspective.
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Krill/Plush
CA$H/TRiAD
Higgie/Kraze/Onslaught
Aomeba/Artline Desig..
kbs/Pht/Lxt
Sande/Hokuto Force