Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
 Welcome to our latest new user lotus_skylight ! (Registered 2024-09-25) You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Parties that will come
2014-11-14 19:17
PAL

Parties that will come

I Pal of Offence would very much bring gear to record live sessions at the next parties we are attending. The reason for this is that for our time after the parties I feel that we need to set up recording of visuals, sound from compo machine and from crowd and after that mix and edit them together in a professional presentation. After the parties we arrange or attend we kind of have the live session as the essence of what we do... I want them to be better because I as one enjoy them so much, that is it... no recording from a hardware after party or from vice can make it so great.

There are two ways of doing that.

1. I pay for everything. I get my photographer to go along and I pay for the expenses on that alone.

2. I ask you to join in and pay the travel cost for a professional and we use my cameras, i have about three.... different angles and we in week after the party edit it... like a professional TV-show live there and then.

I would really urge the scene to join me in the alternative that is 2. If you do this I will ensure the parties are there forever and in all its splendour and magic of the live feeling!

What do you say? Is this of interest or is it not? I know someone else are doing this but really, and all honest autofocus on the cam do not make it great! I never want to slag the effort done, no way... but maybe we want them to be more true in angles and all... in super quality and in super direction? I just ask!

Your PAL of Offence
2014-11-14 19:46
Krill

I'd prefer producing a scripted reality show with D-grade actors throwing scene drama tantrums.
2014-11-14 19:47
chatGPZ

und ich sach noch: sauft nicht so viel lack!
2014-11-14 19:54
PAL

So my idae is a nogo then? Or what do you say? I am just offering what I can to preserve the best memories from live there and then?
2014-11-14 20:43
Cresh

2014-11-15 08:14
Angel of Death

That would be a good idea. And you must realise that the performances at a lot of parties is already recorded by Ziphoid of SceneSat Radio. And he provides a video stream most of the time that is of reasonable quality. It, more or less, depends on how much atmospherics you'd like to add.
With technology as it is today and internet for all, editing and distribution shouldn't be such a problem, should it?
2014-11-15 10:59
soci

PAL:

We have recordings of Arok party using several cameras. Even the CCTV was is in HD or even higher (proper, no low FPS!) and we also had IR lighting and I saw some wide angle stuff as well. Of course the PA mixer output and beamer inputs was recorded too. The recordings were in the TB range and we had to use some big ass PC with SSDs in raid to keep up with the rate and transcoding (at least 4 sources).

Unfortunately no one wants/can post process it ;(

One reason is that the one who wanted to do it is doing 12h shifts on the other end of the world. If it'd be me I also wouldn't do much, there's no blame.

The other is that some of the files lack the end of the recording and can't be decoded. When the streaming software crashed it did not close them properly (it also did some of the recordings). Yes it's a paid for software and we bought a license and are still waiting for the bug fixes. Unfortunately they are concentrating on the next version, which needs a new license and it's not sure if it'll fix all the problems. Usual stuff.

Also it's rather boring to cut and paste together things. Like the camera had the mic left switched off by mistake, and you have to use some other source (e.g. from mixer or other camera) to fix it. Or a camera is moved, and you still have to show something else. Etc. etc.

And then there are privacy issues. People are discussing and doing all sort of things you don't want to put on youtube. No, we were not crazy to put cameras into the beer tent or worse ;) But still.

There's a lot of work to make something "viewable" from raw recordings. And there's little motivation to do it ;(

So, if you want you can join us next summer and help in this regard. The guy running this is part is really overwhelmed sometimes. This is not a one man show, and we really helped him a lot with setting up/tearing down all the cabling and stuff, but at busy times we have also our own problems to worry about.

We are also looking for more people to create an even better atmosphere. Feel free to come! Believe me, I had to travel from much further places in the last years then most of you would need. And it was worth it ;)
2014-11-15 12:37
chatGPZ

Quote:
This is not a one man show

at breakpoint/revision this stuff is done by a team of ~10 people, of which most (all?) are professionals who are doing that stuff as their day job. these people spend most of their time at the party with recording and editing, and several weeks after the party as well until everything is done. as soci said, producing a whole lot of high quality footage at the party isnt a real problem these days - but making something that can be spread to the public is. (and its mostly not a money, but a time problem)
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Alakran_64
megasoftargentina
CA$H/TRiAD
kbs/Pht/Lxt
icon/The Silents, Sp..
Isildur/Samar