Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > Compo Voting
2024-10-03 05:19
Raistlin

Compo Voting

For now at least this is only relevant to GFX compos, but ...

https://c64gfx.com/compo/3450

For a while now it's been clear that compos needed an independent voting platform to CSDb. CSDb voting is really meant to be for the release vs all the other releases on CSDb.

Yet.. if I created a compo right now for an "AI-generated and wired demo competition", I guarantee that many entries would get votes of "10" where people really wanted a release to win. But should such a demo sit atop Next Level on the charts..?

Likewise, an AI art competition vs an art piece that took someone a week to make.

That's why I really wanted to make something new .. and did so on C64GFX.com:

- votes are independent and only apply to that compo;

- releases can be entered into multiple compos (for those bemoaning this: think of "best of 2024" compos, The Meteorkis and suchlike - not all compos need exclusivity);

- all releases are visible on a single page and can be quickly and easily voted on there;

- the current score can be private (until voting ends) or public;

- voters on each release can be public or private.

Outside of the compo, we also have a simple "like" system on the site.

I hope more people can take a look, see what you think, make suggestions. It's a v1.0 release and we do have many features planned. It seems to be working well on this compo at least (we already have quite a few voters registered and a large number of votes cast - with another 11-12 days of voting remaining.

PS. The recent AI ninja compo had some decent entries .. but do these really deserve 9.0+ on CSDb? https://csdb.dk/event/?id=3370&sort=rating
2024-10-03 05:44
Raistlin

Also, of course, if somebody would like to run compo voting on C64GFX, let me know. It’s easy to add to other GFX compos.
2024-10-03 07:29
CreaMD

Way to go!
2024-10-03 07:47
Jetboy

Quoting Raistlin
Likewise, an AI art competition vs an art piece that took someone a week to make.

Many people here underestimate how much it takes t00o create something decent and art directed with AI. Sure it is a different kind of effort, and different kind of skills, and preferably should be judged as a different category. Sure you can can get something random real quick, but if you are going for something particular it also take time and effort.

ie. Maxine took me, between playing with Stable Diffusion, finding propper loras, tweaking prompt, adding lettering, converting and writting converter way more than a week. Just saying. I still think it fits separate catgory, as hand pixeling is quite different craft, despite producing the same output - image. Great respect to real Artists that do it this way. AI images are far behind best hand pixeled images, and won't catch up anytime soon.

But to be back on topic: I really like voting system on c64gfx. I really like that images created with help of AI have that little icon and description when you hover over it. It lets appreciate real art more. I would appreciate if it was added retroactively to other images created with AI, or help of it.
2024-10-03 08:11
Raistlin

Thanks both.

Jetboy: yeah, the plan is to add it to other images too. I don’t know whether this will change in future, I think not, as it’s a minefield, but we will add AI and other tags (wiring/convert etc) based on what the creator(s) tell us or what we can gather from such as CSDb Production Notes. It’s not an on/off thing as it all takes time - the site’s not built on a CMS (if it was, I never would’ve grown it so fast - I hate pretty much all available CMS’) so it’s really just me feeding the data for now (I have plans to improve that - but the site needs to be proven first).

I added a few tags for the current compo based on what I read here… and the main reason those were done was simply that my, and others’, focus was on this compo right now. Each time I do one of these compos I try to push things further and use the compo to improve the site.
2024-10-03 10:29
Jetboy

You are doing great job! And a lot of it!
Maybe sone additional moderators to help would be an option? That is if someone volenteers.

As for the CMS i feel you. I worked on some sites on drupal and Wordpress, and it was nightmare. A lot of fighting with the system and hoping throug hoops to make it compliant, instead on just working on a feature i needed.
2024-10-03 13:44
Raistlin

Urgh, Wordpress.. update plugins and -boom- there's a problem somewhere .. so it doesn't just take your website down, it takes the admin panel with it .. meaning you need to use FTP and Notepad to fix. Like, why the fudge does a CMS need you to use FTP to maintain it? (Wordpress will argue that you could stick with their useless plugin-less version.. and it's not their bug etc etc.. but, JESUS).

I'm loving SSG (I coded my own offline one in C++) .. though, as people say, you then spend your time trying to add server-like features to the website and using external databases/webservices to do everything cool.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
jamespurcell
Freeze/Blazon
t0m3000/HF^BOOM!^IBX
Chico/Civitas
Nordischsound/Hokuto..
zscs