Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > C64 Pixeling > An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’
2024-02-01 16:54
Sander

An update on ‘Pixel art in the C64 demoscene’

Dear fellow sceners,

In response to the comments we received, we’ve made some changes to the document.
Our goal was always to find common ground to maintain the fun and integrity of our hobby.

What this is not:
- It’s not written to limit anyone (only to encourage openness)
- It’s not aimed at specific individuals (it’s a scene wide practice)

Read the document here

We’d really love to hear your thoughts on this update.
Please post them in this thread, be kind and keep it constructive and on-topic please.

... 127 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-02-03 02:57
acrouzet

Quote: To me its pretty clear where to draw the line for that matter - when the gfx is actually attributed to a proper gfx guy, then i expect its "handmade". On the other hand, i wouldn't count the demos using gfx made by Banshee as shitposting memes.

The line may be in different places for other people. And what counts as a "proper gfx guy", someone well-established in the scene? What does that mean for new artists?
2024-02-03 08:05
4gentE

Quote:
And they even have the nerve to demand from others that they should play by their rules, and stop being their inner child.

Nobody can force you to say hello to your neighbors. Nobody can force you to hold the door for an old lady. Not even parents. Most people do it anyway.
2024-02-03 11:11
Joe

I think the document is alright and points at a more beautiful future, where people, think, use tools to do art and show each other respect and talk about the creative side, shortcomings, land-winnings and helps each other to strive and become a more beautiful being; collectively also as a whole, for the remembrance for future generations. It can only get better from here. To say it in a positive side, as I see the trend is rather negative in what some believe us being "too serious", or "complicated elite-thinking". Bashing each other in wordy competitions and rhetoric gameplay? With really nothing to offer as a difference?

On the contrary. We want to release your inner child: And children, though I don't have any of myself, is rather curious and investigative creatures, which tries to find their own methods (and I'm not going shady here as to their need of love and food), but rather in what life has to offer!

So for you ding-dong guys: Who still have your dark-black views in your ideas about "fun", I leave it up to you. Let us bright people at least have the decency to acknowledge that they are working (me included) for doing something to strive forward, in having fun! But with doing it yourself and leaving the shit behind (A.I., converts, non-discussed references). And as someone pointed out, say hey to your neighbour, this is afterall the neighbourhood...
2024-02-03 11:28
4gentE

Well said Joe!
In the long run, the truth (honesty) will always set people free.
2024-02-03 14:06
chatGPZ

Quote:
The line may be in different places for other people. And what counts as a "proper gfx guy", someone well-established in the scene? What does that mean for new artists?

To me it is "proper" if it can be convincingly related to a real person (which is obviously easier for established sceners). Unknown people who pop up from nowhere and then produce top 10 stuff (without having a former track record - lman comes to mind as someone who did, and had, here) will always raise questions - and none of what was said before would change this, because that is just extremely unlikely.
2024-02-03 16:52
The Sarge

First, well said Joe! Very much agree on everything you wrote.

And now on to what I want to say.

Why do we ask for transparency?

Two scenarios for making an image for standalone GFX compos or graphics for demo compos. There’s maybe more but for easy comparison I made these two.

Scenario 1
1. Google something cool and save that image. Or prompt an AI and save that image.
2. Convert it, pixel over it, put your name on it and you’re done.

Scenario 2
1. Start drawing and painting when you are young, lets say you start at year two or three.
2. Practice, practice, practice and when you are 14-15 years old your art are starting to turn out pretty good.
3. By this time you have learned the coordination of the hand and brain. Shapes, anatomy, composition, lighting, color theory and it will only get better and better.
4. Now maybe you make a decision to do pixel art because you feel this is your thing. You use all the life long learning and put it to use with your first pixels.

Yes, it’s 15 years of learning. Sounds a lot. But now that knowledge is yours.

After this your skills will only evolve and you will keep getting better and better. More on point with your art, more stylised perhaps, really finding your thing within the realm of art. You grow immensely as a human. Understanding the why’s.

There is also the process of coming up with a theme, idea and everything that makes your image great for a graphic compo that is shortcutted out in Scenario 1.

So which scenario do we in the end want? Do we want real or fake?

One thing with transparency is it make it fair for the person that chose the Scenario 2 path because he/she thought it was the right thing to do.

Do we really want more Scenario 1 art? While there sometimes may be a reason for choosing Scenario 1 let’s at least be transparent and fair to your fellow scener and also to the original artist.
You can always ask yourself if you made art that was great, so great someone else would like to remove your name on it and put their own name on it and by that claiming it all is theirs and pretending they are a Scenario 2 artist. How would you feel about that?

The scene more or less did Scenario 1 back in the day and most recently maybe. But this doc is proposing a new shift in how we produce and think about art for our beloved C64. This is not about what has been done, its about what we do further on. What do we want to be remembered for?
As Electric said some while ago, he tried to find C64 demos that he could show in art exhibition but he had such a hard time finding original art that he could show.

Isn’t it better to be remembered for making our own thing from now on instead of using characters from super heroes without giving credit? Draw one yourself and pixel it. It will be so much better and have soul, your soul.
And that is important. You express yourself with your art. Not someone else’s.

Im sure this can work if we just agree to be transparent and honest with each other. After all, we are all friends and want to be good to each other.
2024-02-03 17:05
vincenzo

What would be your advice to a totally new and beginner person(s) who want to start pixeling?
Let's say:
1. young person without any experience with oldschool computers or graphics
2. middle aged person who has experience with newschool computers but without graphics experience

In my opinion it's very nice to have rules and guideance, but I'm not sure this document in its current form does even address people outside the scene. What is its purpose exactly?
I'm asking this because potentially I misunderstand something here. There's no encouragement of new people who have interest in drawing. If it's only about the demoscene, then all is good and clear.
2024-02-03 17:23
Deev

Quote: What would be your advice to a totally new and beginner person(s) who want to start pixeling?
Let's say:
2. middle aged person who has experience with newschool computers but without graphics experience

In my opinion it's very nice to have rules and guideance, but I'm not sure this document in its current form does even address people outside the scene. What is its purpose exactly?
I'm asking this because potentially I misunderstand something here. There's no encouragement of new people who have interest in drawing. If it's only about the demoscene, then all is good and clear.

I don't really see how it's any more or less relevant to newcomers than people who've been making C64 graphics since the 80s.

You mentioned pixelling, so I presume we're not talking someone who just wants to convert graphics and fix a few pixels.

If someone wants to recreate someone elses work either to learn, or just because that's what interests them, that's fine, they're just being asked to be transparent about it (there's a section on fan-art). If someone is hand-pixelling original pieces then I feel they would appreciate that kind of thing being encouraged within the scene.

When I started in the late-90s, people were encouraging me to start attempting my own pieces, so this isn't new.
2024-02-03 17:30
CreaMD

Quote: What would be your advice to a totally new and beginner person(s) who want to start pixeling?
Let's say:

I can see it from my daughters progress. She started with doing fan art. Her enthusiasm was fuelled by interest in characters. Later she started doing her own stuff (own characters). Own stuff maybe get's less interactions and likes, but it's honest way to progress. In school they do a lot of own stuff and they teach them various techinques and media. She still loves to do fanart from time to time.

So, to answer your question. Advice for totally new beginner who start pixelling would probably be something along these lines: Use whatever you love to do, whatever way you do. Be sincere and upfront about sources and techniques if you upload your entries to the scene database. Fill in the production notes. it will help the audience understand your process and results, and judge it accordingly.
2024-02-03 19:05
Krill

Quoting The Sarge
Scenario 1
1. Google something cool and save that image. Or prompt an AI and save that image.
2. Convert it, pixel over it, put your name on it and you’re done.

Scenario 2
[no AI at all]
I may be a bit naive (with an entirely wrong idea about how pixel graphics are made), but isn't this a bit of a false dichotomy?

As in, what about a third scenario, where you use AI to give you some ideas for a certain background object, or composition, or the like?
Or to give you that particular background object, which you'd take and modify (after AI involvement) to suit your needs and integrate it via the rest of your toolchain?
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Fred/Channel 4
mr.mister/trance
ilesj/Artline Designs
encore
Electric/Extend
Trash