Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Search CSDB is really unfriendly :(
2015-12-02 14:42
Dr.j

Search CSDB is really unfriendly :(

Hey guyz, i am not talking about the complexity of
the search Criteria options (for Advanced) which i see it really annoying and quite unfriendly , but my advice: why you don't copy my search parameters to "Advanced" . for ex: if i search for a certain release which i don't find in my normal search (type of item+name) and than click the "Advanced" i expect the criteria will be set for my search already. why should i see all the Groups/Release/Events/users and much more Parameters if i from the begining don't search for them. its a but hard to get it. im sorry if i sound a bit harsh but also the sort of the releases is random , instead of sort with latest releases (current date and down - "Desc")
2015-12-02 15:09
iAN CooG

I'd ask my money back if I was you!1
2015-12-02 19:51
GH

Yes and while you at it please make all the votes, let's say
lower than 3 points, given by anonymous cowards visible ..

...to make it more friendly put that into an "advantage search" mode even ,D
2015-12-02 20:18
chatGPZ

also delete everyone who never got credits for "code"!
2015-12-02 20:59
GH

make sure to delete every webmaster too ;)
2015-12-02 21:29
Oswald

what is the reason for perff sitting on the old code and not letting anyone near ?
2015-12-02 23:17
CreaMD

Quote: what is the reason for perff sitting on the old code and not letting anyone near ?

not true.
fact is, that most ppl that were offered to get involved, and had capability to get invovled, are lazy (and/or burn out... as far as I am concerned).
Anyway. When I saw this thread I felt slight interest in playing design of searching part of the site. Problem is that any of the serious code on any developed site feels more like job nowadays. But even in my 40 years, I still hope I will get my financial freedom back somehow sometimes and get back to having fun, doing things that are paid by "gratitude" of users... (at best).
2015-12-03 00:27
Smasher

hey, there's a trolling compo going on here and you don't invite me? :)
what about this:
users online, I see my handle with [PM] next to it... sure it's ok if you can see that and feel free to click on it for codingpr0ncrapchat, but I find really lame that someone can send a msg to him/her-self...
2015-12-03 08:29
jailbird

Quote: not true.
fact is, that most ppl that were offered to get involved, and had capability to get invovled, are lazy (and/or burn out... as far as I am concerned).
Anyway. When I saw this thread I felt slight interest in playing design of searching part of the site. Problem is that any of the serious code on any developed site feels more like job nowadays. But even in my 40 years, I still hope I will get my financial freedom back somehow sometimes and get back to having fun, doing things that are paid by "gratitude" of users... (at best).

Pure bullshit
2015-12-03 08:31
iAN CooG

just give the site sources to jailbird, he will fix it in no time. sure.
2015-12-03 09:04
CreaMD

Quote: Pure bullshit

Elaborate or shut the hole.
2015-12-03 10:33
Oswald

Quote: not true.

time to offer to people who are willing.
2015-12-03 11:28
CreaMD

Will...
...trust, skill, experience, modesty...
2015-12-03 11:53
Moloch

Modesty? The user base of this website is mostly composed of sceners, you'll have a hard time finding that trait here ;)
2015-12-03 13:03
Oswald

Quote: Will...
...trust, skill, experience, modesty...

its not like the data in here is owned by anybody, right? so anyone willing should be given the DB and lets see what site he can make on it. the crowd will settle around the best one anyway (or around the one the crowd wants)
2015-12-03 13:36
CreaMD

This is a public service, most of info is public, yes. But there is layer of more or less sensitive personal info behind the publicly visible stuff. You can dig out real names, addresses, you can find out various private info and connections, a lot of stuff that was visible and was erased can be found in logs. So (in my opinion) you can't just give anybody access to raw database and code.
2015-12-03 13:40
Oswald

did not know of that. should be filtered out if possible, I see now that its not so simple, even in this case.
2015-12-03 13:47
Shine

I personally think that all, what makes this db better for all of us, should be looked closer. I know ... not every idea is a good one or even simple to implement. Everybody has a different view ... so collect the most important ideas and look how to make them "useful". My 3.14159... cent

PS: I wished (and i think i am not alone) we could work together more to make this nice place more "suitable".
2015-12-03 14:09
Burglar

you dont need the contents of the db to code a brand new csdb 2.0, all you need is the schema.

forking csdb would be a bad thing, so a newly built csdb 2.0 should be run by perff, but preferably coded by a different ppl.

when beta versions are ready, perff could just pull the latest source from github, set config for db and run it :)
2015-12-03 14:15
chatGPZ

that said, i had a look at the code. and all i can say is that should be killed with fire and rewritten, i can totally understand why perff doesnt want to patch it up even more (its a wonder it still works =P)
2015-12-03 14:31
jailbird

Quoting CreaMD

You smug moderator assholes are all acting like you own this place just because you have some imaginary, virtual extended rights or whatever you think you have. You and your admin companions still keep forgetting that this place wouldn't even exist without those who were and are producing shit on the C64. Which possibly takes a bit more effort than deleting comments or putting data from left to right.
Lazy?? What the fuck are you talking about? I love to code for web. I love to help. I love to code for free. This is what the scene or OSS is about anyway.
For years I was really interested in CSDb and the C64 scene, for a while I am just fatigued and utterly agitated and disheartened by the sheer i-dont-give-a-crap, passé, late 90's IRC, highbrow attitude which portrays this shitplace's inner circle. Take your fucking heads out of the sand and look around you for once.

Quoting iAN CooG

Yeah, for starters, I'd fix that absurd and irritating comment editing clusterfuck. Unless it is obfuscated for some reason or written in Malbolge, what the holy fuck keeps you from patching it? It obviously aggravates the majority of the users and contributors. But no, rather just ridicule the people who care.

Quoting CreaMD
You can dig out real names, addresses, you can find out various private info and connections, a lot of stuff that was visible and was erased can be found in logs. So (in my opinion) you can't just give anybody access to raw database and code.

Boo-fucking-hoo. Like I'd care about Oswald's or your's or whoever's real name, address or some worthless connections while you and everyone puts your whole fucking life on Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat or whatever fucking social network you're using. What kind of sensitive info are you fucking talking about? Credit card datas, social security numbers, dick diameter? Come on. Sensitive data my ass.

Fuck you all.
2015-12-03 14:33
chatGPZ

my condolences
2015-12-03 14:42
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
my condolences

K. Keep berating those who tend to bring up your pompous, self-righteous attitude. Forgot that's your thing all right.
2015-12-03 14:49
CreaMD

Quote: that said, i had a look at the code. and all i can say is that should be killed with fire and rewritten, i can totally understand why perff doesnt want to patch it up even more (its a wonder it still works =P)

That's the charm of closed source single coder developed projects. And that's the point wehre modesty comes as important factor ;-) Anyway, thousand monkeys developing opensource projects usually create different kind of ugly beasts... see drupal... it became so scary that they decided to replace parts of it by symfony components ;-))))

Note: I don't use drupal.
2015-12-03 14:59
chatGPZ

Quote:
Keep berating those who tend to bring up your pompous, self-righteous attitude. Forgot that's your thing all right.

right on - as long as you keep writing your rants about how much the site sucks and you could it do all better if only someone would let you and how you are just unable to GTFO and stay away.
2015-12-03 15:03
Smasher

Quoting Poopmonster

... dick diameter? Come on. Sensitive data my ass.

mine: 64 pixels (no cheat)
2015-12-03 15:09
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:
Keep berating those who tend to bring up your pompous, self-righteous attitude. Forgot that's your thing all right.

right on - as long as you keep writing your rants about how much the site sucks and you could it do all better if only someone would let you and how you are just unable to GTFO and stay away.

Yeah, because if you don't really like something you are a part of, whilst painfully trying to use and utilize it, just fuck off, right? Amazing stance, as always.
2015-12-03 15:13
chatGPZ

so you are a masochist eh? cant help then, i guess.

as someone said before, if you really want to help with the code, just start with rewriting the site. i am sure someone will help with converting the db once you are done.
2015-12-03 15:19
cba

I'm interested in helping for CSDB V2 ! Probably many others on here too. So who is willing to start this project ?
2015-12-03 15:31
CreaMD

Quote: Quoting CreaMD

You smug moderator assholes are all acting like you own this place just because you have some imaginary, virtual extended rights or whatever you think you have. You and your admin companions still keep forgetting that this place wouldn't even exist without those who were and are producing shit on the C64. Which possibly takes a bit more effort than deleting comments or putting data from left to right.
Lazy?? What the fuck are you talking about? I love to code for web. I love to help. I love to code for free. This is what the scene or OSS is about anyway.
For years I was really interested in CSDb and the C64 scene, for a while I am just fatigued and utterly agitated and disheartened by the sheer i-dont-give-a-crap, passé, late 90's IRC, highbrow attitude which portrays this shitplace's inner circle. Take your fucking heads out of the sand and look around you for once.

Quoting iAN CooG

Yeah, for starters, I'd fix that absurd and irritating comment editing clusterfuck. Unless it is obfuscated for some reason or written in Malbolge, what the holy fuck keeps you from patching it? It obviously aggravates the majority of the users and contributors. But no, rather just ridicule the people who care.

Quoting CreaMD
You can dig out real names, addresses, you can find out various private info and connections, a lot of stuff that was visible and was erased can be found in logs. So (in my opinion) you can't just give anybody access to raw database and code.

Boo-fucking-hoo. Like I'd care about Oswald's or your's or whoever's real name, address or some worthless connections while you and everyone puts your whole fucking life on Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat or whatever fucking social network you're using. What kind of sensitive info are you fucking talking about? Credit card datas, social security numbers, dick diameter? Come on. Sensitive data my ass.

Fuck you all.

<Post edited by CreaMD on 3/12-2015 16:35>

Aha so you took it personaly? But I wasn't mentioning you, nor meaning you. Maybe I should have phrased it differently, but I specifically mentioned me as an example as you might have noticed.

--

But back to previous point. I don't own this site, so this is just my arrogant opinion, but I give a fuck about "we own you, because we added the data" attitude. Seriously, I give a fuck about "we own your compo because we are the participants" and "we can poop tons of ungrateful shit on you coz we are the visitors of party you organize and you are lame asshole who can't make it the way we imagine it should be". That's the main reason why I quite organizing forever. Ungrateful stupid shit reactions from people I personally don't know. not my friends, sceners from different scene who insulted me because they expected that I should think like they think. That I still used blank screen instead of fancy compo presentation screen, and that I was switching video cable instaead of adding a switcher box for video inputs. Yeah. Fuck them all. Fuck that "we own your service, we are your users: attitude. See how you DON'T own Facebook? And how they exploit you? That's how it works in real life. So be so kind and don't tell me that owner of the service doesn't have right to shape and organize it according to his principles. I totally stand behind every person who do their great services whatever they do them. You should serve us and you owe us attitude totally sucks. I'm guest here, and I'm glad for whatever this service brought to me. Of course, I'm not the person who adds data here, there are people who add a lot of data. Those people have right to ask Perff for improvements helping them their efforts. And I don't say everybody else shoud shut their mouth. I just say, that saying "we made you" is fucking lame. He made the place, people came, they are guests, they should be greateful for the place, and possibly, try to be decent when they ask for more.

--

You love to code. Good. But coding for projects this big isn't just about love. It's about labor. Real hard work, it's not always fun like when you have your create your own rules and constraints for your own projects. Making better searching interface might be a lovely small project, maybe you might work on that. I think you might be able to nail it. I suppose except of love for code, you have experience with all the necessary technologies and knowledge of best practices creating lovely user experiences and stuff. I imagine I might have.. but I'm too fatigued and dispirited for this. After all, it's far from simplicity of C64 composing.

--

Comment editing unfixed. I understand the problem. Ten times a years, there is that stupid thing and there are bigger things that are more important, and that leaves one doing nothing, in the end. Passive aggresive behaviour it's called. Self sabottage. But yes, I think he should let you fix it. First he might start with giving you that extended rights "so you will become part of assholes group" then discuss with you in modforum, and then give you access to repository so you can install site on your dev. server.. etc... in the end you will fix that edit thing. And I will compose a celebratory SID music for you. Deal?

--

Last but not least. Not understanding what I meant by the sensitive info. Funny that you lecture me about arrogance and attitude, while you put your ignorant thougts on screen like that. Of course every personal info is sensitive for someone. Not for you, not for me. But I can assure you there might be some old retired cracking scener from past with huge inflated ego that might find it very important that his parent's address (that was already erased, but is still in logs) doesn't leak. And that's just one example. Some people do many covert things aroudn this place. Retaliatory downvotes for example. You can't imagine how many times I wanted to say fuck you to the person that had downvoted me, and ask him, why the fuck you hate me? I don't even know you? But I haven't approached him once! Coz that't the burden of being trusted user.

...and of course. There is the mod forum. Where we ritually blackmouth and despise every single user we have here. We can't give you access to that!!@#@!%!! That might destroy our asshole cult.

* the last paragraph inserted for comedic relief.
2015-12-03 15:34
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
so you are a masochist eh? cant help then, i guess.

Just the opposite. I probably wouldn't be so fucked up if I'd enjoy the deep anal prolapse this site is constantly giving me.
CSDb is like having a once perfect, favorite pair of jeans for a decade which you've wore so long there are now several holes in it and your dick sticks out but you love it so much you just can't trash it.
2015-12-03 15:46
chatGPZ

Quote:
You can't imagine how many times I wanted to say fuck you to the person that had downvoted me, and ask him, why the fuck you hate me? I don't even know you? But I haven't approached him once! Coz that't the burden of being trusted user.

trusted users cant see the hidden votes (which is a shame! =P)
2015-12-03 16:15
jailbird

CreaMD, I'm simply done being sympathetic and overjoyed about the shit happening around. You know me for years, you know me quote well, you know how receptive I was before. Giving none of the fucks results me pissed up, deal with it.

Secondly, I have never said that only those people made the site who are responsible for the releases featured here, but that you are constantly forgetting and completely ignoring them. Starting with the insane voting system which is still not solved after 14 fucking years regardless of people literally begging for a solution.

Fixing small bugs or adding trivial features isn't a chore to me, nor should be for anyone. I don't think that CSDb needs a rewrite as more or less it works well, it does its job. But the occasional crap that sticks inbetween its teeth and annoys the living shit out of everyone needs to be picked out.

Not giving out the source just because some assholes use the site for pity stuff and we have to protect their identity is outright imbecile. Fill the Db with shit, make a sandbox and give us that then.
2015-12-03 16:20
chatGPZ

for just fooling around with the code you dont need the db at all.... and there is an (oldish) copy of the db with all the sensitive stuff cleaned out right on the svn.... oh well

however, to do significant changes you WILL have to rewrite significant portions of the code, there is simply too much monkey patched and hardcoded shite going on. which is pretty much the reason for why some supposedly easy to add stuff was never added :)
2015-12-03 16:27
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
for just fooling around with the code you dont need the db at all....

Quoting Groepaz
and there is an (oldish) copy of the db with all the sensitive stuff cleaned out right on the svn.... oh well

Are you talking about some internal stuff? Because this is the first time I read about this.

Quoting Groepaz
however, to do significant changes you WILL have to rewrite significant portions of the code, there is simply too much monkey patched and hardcoded shite going on. which is pretty much the reason for why some supposedly easy to add stuff was never added :)

According to my experience, it is probably easier and less time consuming to fix/update/maintain old code than to rewrite everything from scratch. Unless it is really really really shitty spagetti.
2015-12-03 16:47
CreaMD

Quote: CreaMD, I'm simply done being sympathetic and overjoyed about the shit happening around. You know me for years, you know me quote well, you know how receptive I was before. Giving none of the fucks results me pissed up, deal with it.

Secondly, I have never said that only those people made the site who are responsible for the releases featured here, but that you are constantly forgetting and completely ignoring them. Starting with the insane voting system which is still not solved after 14 fucking years regardless of people literally begging for a solution.

Fixing small bugs or adding trivial features isn't a chore to me, nor should be for anyone. I don't think that CSDb needs a rewrite as more or less it works well, it does its job. But the occasional crap that sticks inbetween its teeth and annoys the living shit out of everyone needs to be picked out.

Not giving out the source just because some assholes use the site for pity stuff and we have to protect their identity is outright imbecile. Fill the Db with shit, make a sandbox and give us that then.

I will give you two different answers. One in your tone, and one decent.

1. I deal with people having lack of insight (or being completely ignorant) combined with lack of good manners every day, JB. I learned to live with it. And I still enjoy returning back what I get.

2. I was against anonymous voting from the very beginning. I tend to be autocratic, so If I was in charge I would give people chance to remove votes for 14 days and then turn everything transparent. But I'm not in charge so I have to accept what is here. As far as responsibility for anything people request is concerned, I'm still just an user here. User with moderator privileges. I haven't developed a single line of code on this site, so I don't feel I should be blamed for ignoring requests. Although, I'm fully responsible for c64.sk's fall down, and I received a shitload of blame for that recently from my ~friend. Also I take full blame for my organizational fails in compos I have organized. I took an indefinite break from them since the last failure.

Apart from all that. I don't know if you ever tried, but some people communicate with Perff and he responds to them. Sometimes the result of that communication and requests are interesting features helpful for developers of other sites.

In this case. Maybe, instead of replacing advanced search, better option would be to make standalone subpage that could work with existing db and generate results linking to this site Then there could chance to make better search interface without need of touching the old one.
2015-12-03 17:40
chatGPZ

Quote:
Are you talking about some internal stuff? Because this is the first time I read about this.

sure, internal to moderators and a few other people. it was set up after countless months and years of trying to convince perff that there is stuff that needs fixing. and then noone except me even bothered to look at it. go figure ^_^

Quote:
According to my experience, it is probably easier and less time consuming to fix/update/maintain old code than to rewrite everything from scratch. Unless it is really really really shitty spagetti.

as i said, you'll have to rewrite it :)
2015-12-03 18:46
Hein

Isn't there a csdb2 bundle somewhere on github? :)
2015-12-03 21:26
Digger

Have you not heard of C64 Scene App made by Mr SID? All we need to have an extension of the current API (i.e. to support adding comments) so anybody can make their own client. Amen :)
2015-12-04 07:45
Smasher

even in cracking: spaghetti coding is a tough protection! :)
2015-12-04 08:24
jailbird

Quoting Groepaz
Quote:

sure, internal to moderators and a few other people. it was set up after countless months and years of trying to convince perff that there is stuff that needs fixing. and then noone except me even bothered to look at it. go figure ^_^

Quote:

as i said, you'll have to rewrite it :)

OK, that explains a lot.

Quoting DGGR
Have you not heard of C64 Scene App made by Mr SID? All we need to have an extension of the current API (i.e. to support adding comments) so anybody can make their own client. Amen :)

I think it is using the webservice, which is a quite tedious way to get the desired info. I pissed blood while I was building TPC, in the end I mostly relied on my HTML parsers rather than the .xml CSDb provided.
2015-12-04 19:56
Hein

Quote: Have you not heard of C64 Scene App made by Mr SID? All we need to have an extension of the current API (i.e. to support adding comments) so anybody can make their own client. Amen :)

Yes, it works fine, albeit just for browsing. The additional emulator is a pretty cool feature to snack my way through the latest releases. Gotta admit, a search functionality would be nice. But I'm patient. :)
2015-12-04 23:38
Digger

That's the point Hein & Poopmonster :) You've just proven that all we need is a better (perhaps JSON) API – much easier to do than fixing the old PHP mumbo-jumbo.

Who needs another/new CDSB site, when we can build anything based off CSDB database.
2015-12-06 14:43
Isildur

Here's more than PERFECT solution for my needs (workinprogress):
CSDB offline

It's polish forum and that guy is awesome!
(BTW it's made with the help of csdb staff)
2015-12-06 16:01
Oswald

?syntax error

ne habla polish
2015-12-06 17:07
DKT

Just look at this:
http://s3.postimg.org/4ccmtyooj/Multi_Group_View.png
http://s23.postimg.org/q24mlyqsr/You_Tube_Run.png
http://s30.postimg.org/88ul2njwh/Vice_Run.png
Download for testing:
https://www.dropbox.com/l/sh/h8TttW8gDe1fqrcgjT84Qo
2015-12-06 19:25
soci

Quoting Isildur
Here's more than PERFECT solution for my needs (workinprogress):
CSDB offline

Indeed, I bet this solves the self messaging and post editing problems for some too ;)
2015-12-06 20:44
iAN CooG

The only winning move is not to play.
2015-12-06 21:12
Isildur

Quote: ?syntax error

ne habla polish

Just look at the pictures then, or google translate.
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
Grue/Extend
Manex/Anubis
TPM/Silicon Ltd
E$G/hOKUtO fOrcE
CA$H/TRiAD
A3/AFL