Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Feedback > Suggestion: New release type "C64 Import"
2013-09-14 00:16
bepp

Suggestion: New release type "C64 Import"

Rough started a discussion a couple of years ago (see Adding the cracker group to import/trainer version), pin pointing a problem where a crack may be credited repeatedly for a group - due to the many imports that may exist.

Some attempts have been made to differentiate cracks from import by suffixing the entry with "[import]" - an approach that might not be appealing to all.

Discussions suggest that original crack group (pun intended) be credited only on *their* release, while imports only be credited to importing group, leaving a link to the original release.

My biggest concern is to be able to (quickly) identify and differentiate cracks from import, when checking for existence of a certain release for example. Although this can be partly solved by suffixing the name, I'm not sure it's the right approach. Cleaning up the credits list would partly solve the problem, but I still wouldn't be able to clearly see a difference between crack and import.

So I'm suggesting that we add a new release type. Let's call it "C64 Crack Import" or just "C64 Import" for short. It would be a fairly easy task to just "re-categorize" any imports stumbled upon, and to some extent it could probably be batch-made with an SQL query (Perff?).

It is often talked about that the DB is not designed to handle certain new features (tags for instance), while adding a new release type would make no harm to performance. Also, from a DB design perspective, it would make more sense since you can then do filtered searches where imports and cracks are differentiated. Also in release lists, it would be possible to see the difference.

Having import as a release type, it would furthermore be possible to have an option in listings to "Hide imports"... the result of which of course would depend on the quality of the entries, but it *would* be possible. Think future. =)

... 34 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2013-10-29 21:20
chatGPZ

look at the textfile i linked above. recrack flag and reference to original crack :)
2013-10-29 21:51
bepp

Quote: look at the textfile i linked above. recrack flag and reference to original crack :)

Great! Someone has given this some thought it seems ;-) And does that come with a rule that only the importing or the training group be credited in the import/re-crack?
2013-10-29 23:33
chatGPZ

well, that should already be the case (although it often isnt, i know)
2013-10-29 23:39
bepp

Maybe it's because there is no proper way of referencing the original crack yet...

Would it be a to narrow rule to say that: unless the game is marked as a coop (new flag perhaps?), there can only be one group credited. That way, we could have the system enforce the "one group" rule. So for re-cracks or imports, it would always be credited to the "last" group, with the original crack/group referenced.

Damn, it's gonna be a helluva job to update all existing entries with those flags O_O
2013-10-30 00:06
chatGPZ

you got it exactly right ... thats how it should be like :) (but we are not really enforcing it until we have these flags in place) and well, a "co-op" flag isnt needed, because if two groups are credited, then "co-op" is implied :)
2013-10-30 06:27
Moloch

Another group doing a trainer on a release is going to be flagged as a re-crack? O_o
2013-10-30 07:19
Didi

If the training group gives proper credit to the group who did the crack I don't consider it as a recrack. Otherwise any import version would be a re-crack as well.
2013-10-30 07:29
bepp

In this context, I believe re-crack should be considered more a technical term meaning "modifications to existing crack" - rather than a flag indicating something lame :)

And in that sense, all added trainers and imports are re-cracks, yes. But if the re-crack flag is intended for something else then the concept might need to be revised.
2013-10-30 11:43
Jazzcat

Most important is a FIRST RELEASE flag.

Please consult: http://www.atlantis-prophecy.org/recollection/?load=the_list
2013-10-30 17:10
chatGPZ

Quote:
Most important is a FIRST RELEASE flag.

i wonder how many more suggestion before anyone reads the fucking textfile :=)

and yes, bepp got it right again :)
Previous - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
csabanw
CA$H/TRiAD
Mike
Yogibear/Protovision
t0m3000/ibex-crew
LightSide